Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 orlaghs

Lawlaw12 wrote: »
    In general you are not allowed to print it yourself, you have to have an official copy. To be honest, I doubt that you can print it yourself this time either as they would have no way of seeing that what you printed is actually the legislation (and not just notes formatted to look like legislation).

Most of the legislation you can get from the OPW (call them or email them to get it: publications@opw.ie).
    For EU and Company you can buy them online, they are much larger so I think the Bloomsbury Companies Act and the Blackstone Treaties for EU are much easier to use in the exam than the OPW version.

https://www.lawsociety.ie/globalassets/documents/education/fe-1/legislativesources.pdf

Thank you for this!
    Turns out the OPW is closed until Dec 1st - if anyone has any advice for me it would be much appreciated. Clear issue with people printing their own that include notes etc, so very unsure about what to do. Extremely frustrating not being able to get an answer/clear instructions from LS.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

Lallers96 wrote: »
    It's now Ray Murphy who is the internal examiner, not Aisling Parkes.

Source: Law Hero 2020 review of the Property exam paper

City colleges night before lectures say its still Dr. Parkes, so now I'm even more confused. Maybe I'll add a topic or two to be in the safe side

orlaghs wrote: »
    Thank you for this!
    Turns out the OPW is closed until Dec 1st - if anyone has any advice for me it would be much appreciated. Clear issue with people printing their own that include notes etc, so very unsure about what to do. Extremely frustrating not being able to get an answer/clear instructions from LS.

Check out adverts.ie maybe someone'll be selling a second hand copy of whatever you need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dliodoir2021

Aoibhin511 wrote: »
    City colleges night before lectures say its still Dr. Parkes, so now I'm even more confused. Maybe I'll add a topic or two to be in the safe side

In March 2018, we weren’t informed of a change to the examiner unless we noticed it on the front page of the exam or learned it from boards AFTER the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

Aoibhin511 wrote: »

Im confused now too because i'm doing the city colleges course and the lecturer said the dr maddox set the march paper and they have asked the law society to confirm who set this paper but have not gotten a response (surprise surprise)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 KCSLAW

Hi guys does anyone have the property paper from March 2020 that they could send on to me please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Fe1new4

Hey guys, quick q re constitutional. Want to cover freedom of expression, is all that ECHR jurisprudence in the manuals necessary to learn or just additional info? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

I wouldn't focus too much on who the examiner for property is. My main issue of my OP was which essay Qs do people expect for Succession Law because the March 2020 one did not follow the typical 1 Essay + 1 Problem Q on Succession Law.

Instead it was 2 essay Qs and each carried 2 parts so in reality it was 4 essays that appeared on the paper, making it very difficult to predict what one will come up on this paper upcoming.

KCSLAW wrote: »
    Hi guys does anyone have the property paper from March 2020 that they could send on to me please :)

I have it send me your email :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 tommytimber

PROPERTY

I have the following covered:

- AP
    - Succession
    - Finding
    - Co-Ownership
    - Easements
    - Land Registration

Would I need to add Family Property or maybe Rights of Residence to that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lovestolisten

Sorry to harp on about this but has everyone received their log in's from Betterexaminations?

I have nothing, No link for the practice yesterday or two weeks ago, no username or password to log in next week, no email from anyone about anything except to say I am registered.

This will be my last three so I'll crack up of I can't get them done

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Sorry to harp on about this but has everyone received their log in's from Betterexaminations?

I have nothing, No link for the practice yesterday or two weeks ago, no username or password to log in next week, no email from anyone about anything except to say I am registered.

This will be my last three so I'll crack up of I can't get them done

Try...

lawsocietyie.betterexaminations.com

Your username is the email you use for correspondence with the Law Society

It’ll ask you to set a password then!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Lawlaw12

Thank you for this!

Someone posted in the FB group today that they ordered from OPW 2 days ago and were told that they are still taking orders for FE1 candidates, and someone else emailed on Tuesday (publications@opw.ie) and the OPW rang them on Wednesday and took their order.

What subjects are you doing this sitting? If you can't get through to opw someone might have the legislation you need, but definitely send them an email this evening and see if they get back to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ellachapman96

Does anyone know if retention of title clauses is a must know? Or will corporate borrowings be ok without it?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 RaffRiff01

Thank you for this!

I got mine from OPW last week..they're still open but they only take orders by phone not online anymore. on top of that, they are only open Tues-Thurs @ 10am - 12pm.. Idk if this is helpful, but just thought everyone should know if they havent yet

For property law are people covering adverse possession on leasehold land too or is this a waste of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Hazel774

Does anyone know what Q 8 of the March 2020 paper was asking about for constitutional? :(
    QUESTION EIGHT
    Rachel suffered a serious injury as a result of negligence of a driver who crashed into her parents’ car. The medical advice is that she will suffer long-term consequences and will require expensive medical care for at least 40 years. It is unclear how much these costs may be but they have been loosely estimated at €500,000 per annum (or €20m over 40 years).
    The driver was insured so that there are, in principle, funds available to discharge these costs.
    Rachel has initiated a claim in negligence before the courts. Before her case is heard, the Oireachtas enacts the Capping of Insurance Costs Acts 2020.
    Section 1 of the Act provides that it applies “to all actions currently in being and subsequently initiated before the courts”.
    Section 4 of the Act imposes a maximum cap on damages in a claim involving personal injuries of €10m.
    Rachel’s guardian has asked you for the legal advice as to whether there are grounds of Irish constitutional law upon which she might challenge the Act, Advise her.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 baloo21

Hazel774 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what Q 8 of the March 2020 paper was asking about for constitutional? :(

I'd say property rights and SOP

Iso_123 wrote: »
    For property law are people covering adverse possession on leasehold land too or is this a waste of time?

a short paragraph on it might be useful for an essay of reforms given the LRC comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Iso_123 wrote: »

If you know encroachment you'll be better set on this area of law than most qualified solicitors hahhaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 kayleee123

I'd definitely look at Buckley v AG, State (O) v O'Brien and State (McEldowney) v Kelleher for SOP caselaw on this q I have notes on these if you need them just pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nicolesd

for a problem on duty of care in tort am i right in saying you'd talk about the test set out by Glencar which reitered the test set out by Caparo and then go through forseeability (case Breslin v MIBI) then Proximity (shrinkwin , Fay case) policy factors and then fair just and reasonableness to establish if a duty of care exists or am i missing anything? or would that all be too much is theres a couple of issues ?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Separation of powers, access to justice, equality, bodily integrity off the top of my head. I'll have a think about it and see are there any more.

Cast a wide net in Constitutional and Tort - these questions feature a lot of topics.

Someone sent me their Tort paper from March with their answers for feedback and I would say there wasn't a problem question with fewer than 4 torts.

With at least that number of constitutional issues to discuss in ~30 minutes, you don't have much space for discussing the history of the concepts as people tend to do - just write down the advice you'd give Rachael.

She can challenge the Act on the basis of incompatibility with the constitution on the following grounds...1, 2, 3, 4... Give the most pertinent one the most amount of time, the least to the less applicable one.

The lion's share of the points go to identifying the issues in a problem question then getting your advice right. Doesn't have to be Senior Counsel level of advice but it needs to make sense in line with the law you base it on. Don't write out passages of legislation or cases. Make sure you are concise given what you've to deal with in the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 orlaghs

Lawlaw12 wrote: »
    Someone posted in the FB group today that they ordered from OPW 2 days ago and were told that they are still taking orders for FE1 candidates, and someone else emailed on Tuesday (publications@opw.ie) and the OPW rang them on Wednesday and took their order.

What subjects are you doing this sitting? If you can't get through to opw someone might have the legislation you need, but definitely send them an email this evening and see if they get back to you :)

Thank you! I emailed them today and got an automated response saying they closed yesterday in line with restrictions. It had completely slipped my mind until this morning hence why I'm so last minute. Might call them to double-check now that I know they've been taking orders this week!

I'm doing property and contract so ideally I would have all four of these:
    - Succession act 1965
    - LCLRA 2009
    - Sale of Goods Act 1893
    - Sale of Goods and Supply of Services 1980

I did contact someone selling them on adverts.ie but I have yet to receive a response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Fe123

baloo21 wrote: »

How do property rights play into it? Never would have thought that despite studying the chapter :(

baloo21 wrote: »
    kayleee123 wrote: »
    I'd definitely look at Buckley v AG, State (O) v O'Brien and State (McEldowney) v Kelleher for SOP caselaw on this q I have notes on these if you need them just pm me
    Separation of powers, access to justice, equality, bodily integrity off the top of my head. I'll have a think about it and see are there any more.

Thanks so much! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bobbyness

Anyone got a few recent case decisions for property law? Seems to be fairly antiquated

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Hi, would anyone have suggestions on what I could reasonably cut from this list for tort (perhaps something that was asked in march/aug as not on my grid) or perhaps I would need to keep them all...
    -DOC/SOC
    -Causation
    - professional negligence
    - concurrent wrongdoer
    - products liability
    - vicarious liability
    - occupiers liability
    - negligent misstatement
    - affirmative duties
    - negligent care of children
    - liability for animals
    - defamation
    - nervous shock
    - passing off
    - trespass to the person
    - Nuisance

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭law_struggles

anybody got a tort sample answer with a good ILAC structure, please?

• Advertisement

awsah wrote: »
    Hi, would anyone have suggestions on what I could reasonably cut from this list for tort (perhaps something that was asked in march/aug as not on my grid) or perhaps I would need to keep them all...
    -DOC/SOC
    -Causation
    - professional negligence
    - concurrent wrongdoer
    - products liability
    - vicarious liability
    - occupiers liability
    - negligent misstatement
    - affirmative duties
    - negligent care of children
    - liability for animals
    - defamation
    - nervous shock
    - passing off
    - trespass to the person
    - Nuisance

I'm not doing tort this sitting, so I'm not 100%, but maybe:
    Children - just have 1-2 cases
    Concurrent wrongdoers - just know the basic rules
    Animals - just the basic rules (or leave it out)

Tort in August (physical sitting) was:
    Res Ipsa (essay)
    Causation/Trespass/ Nuisance/RvF/ Fire PQ
    Trespass to the person (Intentional Infliction of Emotional harm)
    Passing Off
    Defamation
    Liability for Defective Products
    PQ involving Negligence (DOC/ SOC/ Causation/ Remoteness) and Liability for children
    Limitation Periods (essay)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement