Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ihatethesea

Hey Tort sitters. These are the topics I have whittled down to, does anyone think I could leave something out/add something in? Am I on the same track as other people? Tort is f****** huge

1) Trespass property/Nuisance/Rylands
    2) Duty/Standard of Care
    3) Vicarious Liability
    4) Causation/Remoteness
    5) Occupiers Liability
    6) Trespass person/Wilkinson v Dawson
    7) Damages
    8) Employers Liability
    9) Nervous Shock
    10) Pure Economic Loss

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fitz_95

Could any kind soul help me out with a Contract and Equity recent grid? Have Sample answers for both if needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ihatethesea

Fitz_95 wrote: »
    Could any kind soul help me out with a Contract and Equity recent grid? Have Sample answers for both if needed!

Hi, I have both up to March 2019 if thats any help to you? PM me your email and I can send them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bozzer198

Hey Tort sitters. These are the topics I have whittled down to, does anyone think I could leave something out/add something in? Am I on the same track as other people? Tort is f****** huge

1) Trespass property/Nuisance/Rylands
    2) Duty/Standard of Care
    3) Vicarious Liability
    4) Causation/Remoteness
    5) Occupiers Liability
    6) Trespass person/Wilkinson v Dawson
    7) Damages
    8) Employers Liability
    9) Nervous Shock
    10) Pure Economic Loss

I would add defamation,professional negligence and passing off because its easy just to be safe. its an exam you cant really afford to drop too many topics in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭shaunadennyham

Criminal -
    Are there any defences that people think are okay to leave out? Or are there any in particular that absolutely have to be covered?

Insanity and intoxication came up in March. Infanticide could be due a run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Lightup1

Contract -

What could one get away with not studying? All the topics seem to cross over a good bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

Anyone have the most recent tort paper? where there two papers in august - one for online and one for in person?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fe120202021

Would anyone have any contract sample answers theyd be willing to swap? i have property and company material as well as contract notes

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭APower79

Classification of a crime bc omissions came up in March

I’m hoping classifications, strict liability and jurisdiction/detention/bail come up. No other essays prepared!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 orlaghs

I emailed LS about this - obviously no reply (shock). Does anyone know if we can print off the permitted legislation ourselves? Or where I can access them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

APower79 wrote: »
    I’m hoping classifications, strict liability and jurisdiction/detention/bail come up. No other essays prepared!

Bail came up in March as did presumption of innocence. Right to silence and access to a solicitor could be due as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭StabiloLaw

fe1fi20 wrote: »
    Anyone have the most recent tort paper? where there two papers in august - one for online and one for in person?
    Yes, two different papers- the exams weren't the same day.
    I have the online one if you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Lawlaw12

orlaghs wrote: »
    I emailed LS about this - obviously no reply (shock). Does anyone know if we can print off the permitted legislation ourselves? Or where I can access them?

In general you are not allowed to print it yourself, you have to have an official copy. To be honest, I doubt that you can print it yourself this time either as they would have no way of seeing that what you printed is actually the legislation (and not just notes formatted to look like legislation).

Most of the legislation you can get from the OPW (call them or email them to get it: publications@opw.ie).
    For EU and Company you can buy them online, they are much larger so I think the Bloomsbury Companies Act and the Blackstone Treaties for EU are much easier to use in the exam than the OPW version.

https://www.lawsociety.ie/globalassets/documents/education/fe-1/legislativesources.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

As you may know there was a new examiner for Property Law this year, and he drew up only one paper for March 2020. It included a lot of essay questions, can anyone clarify if there has been a change in the usual 4 essays and 4 problem Qs?

Also nearly every possible essay Q on Succession Law came up in the one paper.
    Q4 answer one of the following:
    - Outline the manner in which property devolves in the event of intestacy ("pecking order")
    - Duty to provide proper provision for children

Q8 answer both:
    - Legal requirements of a valid will
    - Admissibility of extrinsic evidence

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on what is likely to come up on Succession Law for this paper as it seems there has to be some sort of repeat from the last paper as from reading the last 11 sittings they are the 4 more prominent essay Questions, and they all came up last sitting so it seems impossible to narrow it down.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dliodoir2021

Recent cases

Any 2020 or 2019 cases people can think of offhand for subjects? It could be helpful for all of us!
      Saggart Motors Ltd v NG Motors Ltd 2019 iehc

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Al1501

Recent cases

Any 2020 or 2019 cases people can think of offhand for subjects? It could be helpful for all of us!
      Saggart Motors Ltd v NG Motors Ltd 2019 iehc

DPP v McNamara [2020] was a big criminal case for provocation.

FE1new wrote: »
    Bail came up in March as did presumption of innocence. Right to silence and access to a solicitor could be due as well.

Oh yes, procedure

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

Lallers96 wrote: »
    As you may know there was a new examiner for Property Law this year, and he drew up only one paper for March 2020. It included a lot of essay questions, can anyone clarify if there has been a change in the usual 4 essays and 4 problem Qs?

- Outline the manner in which property devolves in the event of intestacy ("pecking order")

Q8 answer both:

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on what is likely to come up on Succession Law for this paper as it seems there has to be some sort of repeat from the last paper as from reading the last 11 sittings they are the 4 more prominent essay Questions, and they all came up last sitting so it seems impossible to narrow it down.. :(

If anyone has the report for the March 2020 Property exam, could I ask they come forward? It would be massively helpful to see what the examiner was happy with or annoyed by with regards to how people answered the Succession Q's!

DUMSURFER wrote: »
    If anyone has the report for the March 2020 Property exam, could I ask they come forward? It would be massively helpful to see what the examiner was happy with or annoyed by with regards to how people answered the Succession Q's!

LS haven't released the reports for March 2020 yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

Can some kind soul please tell me what the difference between the tests for self defence are in DPP v O'Brien and DPP v Quinn?

• Advertisement

TCPIP wrote: »
    Can some kind soul please tell me what the difference between the tests for self defence are in DPP v O'Brien and DPP v Quinn?

I don’t have those cases in my manual? Only test I have is people v keatley for acquittal of a charge of murder as a result of fatal use of force in self defence

• Registered Users Posts: 11 smiley1989

Would anyone be able to send me on examiners reports/ sample answers for tort? I can swap for company and EU. I have constitutional (up as far as 2019)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

Lawlaw12 wrote: »
    LS haven't released the reports for March 2020 yet :(

Lord almighty save us from this hell :eek:

APower79 wrote: »
    I don’t have those cases in my manual? Only test I have is people v keatley for acquittal of a charge of murder as a result of fatal use of force in self defence

Think it has to do with self defence as a partial defence if excessive force has been used, as oppose to a full acquittal if the defence is raised. Quinn: once the defence is raised the burden is on the prosecution to disprove it

• Registered Users Posts: 34 RaffRiff01

Lallers96 wrote: »

Q8 answer both:

is it for sure that it was a nex examiner??? how did you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

RaffRiff01 wrote: »

Oh I hope not, I've been very selective with my property study.
    LS website says the examiner is Dr Aisling Parkes

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

Aoibhin511 wrote: »
    Oh I hope not, I've been very selective with my property study.
    LS website says the examiner is Dr Aisling Parkes

Dr Maddox set the paper for march 2020 cause Aisling parkes was on leave or something like that. I don't think they have confirmed which one set this paper.. I think the march one seems ok though there is a crazy amount of choice on it

Would it be okay to leave out the following for constitutional?:

Mootness
    Election Law
    Religion
    FO Assembly/ Association
    Bodily Integrity
    Right to life/ abortion
    Article 45
    Natural Resources

Also possibly Equality and Family/ Children/ Education?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

RaffRiff01 wrote: »

It's now Ray Murphy who is the internal examiner, not Aisling Parkes.

Source: Law Hero 2020 review of the Property exam paper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

any kind soul with the last two tort past papers?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement