Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fe12020oct

I'm the same if that's any help! I'm doing;
    Incorporation
    SLP
    Directors Duties
    S.212 Oppression/Disregard of Interests
    S.819 Restrictions
    Corporate Borrowings
    Winding Up
    Disposition of Company Assets
    Receivership (unlikely bc came up in March)

amazing thank you!! i wasnt planning on doing incorporation , do you think it would be too late to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭WesternC123

fe12020oct wrote: »
    amazing thank you!! i wasnt planning on doing incorporation , do you think it would be too late to start?

No I don't think so! concentrate on the consequences I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Hiya1234

Has anyone done the Constitutional October 2016 question 3 ? Its the problem question for equality. I am wondering if you would be willing to send to me so I can see how it was laid out? I can swap for anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

FE1new wrote: »
    Hi all

I am out of time with the exam in 7 days. Do you think the following will be okay for Property:

Succession
    Adverse Possession
    Co Ownership
    Finding
    Easements

Thats exactly what I did (twice, this was back before the magic 3) and I was fine. But know them inside out you can't know any of them in a cursory way you have to properly get them. If you get a weird question you'll have to answer it as you'll have no choice. Look at the past papers and see do you know your stuff. If you want a fall back topic I would do equity in property law or registration.

Look at the past papers and do them over and over. I did i think 5 or 6 years of past question on the 4 main topics there (i barely consider finding a topic there). You need to be at a very good level with them, particularly succession as you'll have to do two questions. Or as someone said here, try mortgages but anyways dont learn 2 extra topics just learn 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nicolesd

Any have predictions for essays for tort? And do ye think damages and nervous shock is unlikely to. Come up again if it was in the online paper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭law_struggles

Any tips for how to answer problem / essay questions in Tort to the examiners liking. He seems very picky

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20 law1234567

anyone have a sample answer or even a breakdown of how to answer tort March 18 Qn 1? finding it really hard to structure answers for the big negligence/nuisance problem qns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭shaunadennyham

Is anyone else finding this whole thing really tough? I feel like my mental health is at an all time low and I can’t really see the light at the end of the tunnel here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Fe123

What’s the likelihood of liberty coming up for constitutional law this year considering covid? Should I bother including it? V stuck for time

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mmullen

Is anyone else finding this whole thing really tough? I feel like my mental health is at an all time low and I can’t really see the light at the end of the tunnel here

I feel you. It is so tough. Just have to remember that it’s only for a short period of time and like everything else will be over eventually! We’re almost there, studying and sitting these exams in lockdown is a whole new level of challenging but do your best and just think of the relief when you’re done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Hazel774

Yep, you're not alone in that - these exams are just so tough and they manage to completely take over your life when you're doing them, takes a huge toll on your mental health.
    This is my third and (hopefully) final sitting and at this stage I want nothing more than to just be done. I'm literally dreading getting up every day to study. I think it's probably a bit worse this time since there's so much else going on in the world rn and we have a million other stresses on top of this.

But everyone has to go through them and every trainee/ recently qualified I have spoken to about them says that they're horrible but it's worth it in the end. So there has to be a light at the end of the tunnel if they all say it's worth it in the end. Another silver lining is that due to covid we're not actually missing out on anything now while we sit them, yes you basically have to put your life on hold but everyone's life is on hold right now... it would be much worse if we had to watch all our friends off travelling and enjoying themselves while we do these exams.
    I'm glad they've gone online now too, so we're guaranteed to have them finished before Christmas, and I think we can all look forward to actually being able to relax over the Christmas period.

I was really overwhelmed today so I just took the evening off from study and it did help me, so maybe take a break if you need to

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Lawlaw12

Fe123 wrote: »
    What’s the likelihood of liberty coming up for constitutional law this year considering covid? Should I bother including it? V stuck for time

Include liberty if you can, there's a few recent cases in that area so it could have been on the examiners mind even without covid

Lawlaw12 wrote: »
    Include liberty if you can, there's a few recent cases in that area so it could have been on the examiners mind even without covid

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HU123

law1234567 wrote: »
    anyone have a sample answer or even a breakdown of how to answer tort March 18 Qn 1? finding it really hard to structure answers for the big negligence/nuisance problem qns

This was a question on affirmative duties and the actions of independent parties. I would start of by saying that she may be liable in negligence and what is required to prove negligence. You can then note you will be focusing on whether there was a duty of care.

Proximity is crucial in establishing a duty of care for the independent actions of third parties as there needs to be a special relationship so this will take up a lot of the discussion to determine whether Mary exercised control and/or assumed responsibility for Matthew - refer to cases such as Curley v Mannion and Ennis v Family Agency. You could then state the possibility of Matthew's actions amounting to a novus actus interveniens however it would only be the case if his actions were unforeseeable. Once you have established there is a duty look at whether there has been a breach by asking was the probability of this happening high etc.

If you conclude that there has been a breach then you can just briefly mention causation.

I hope this is of some help!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Constitutional: Is this enough ?

Essays: president/ Attorney general
    Referendum
    Constitutional interpretation
    Article 45

Problem questions :

Religion
    Family/Education
    Due process article 38
    Freedom of expression
    Separation of powers
    Liberty
    Equality
    Property rights

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fe120202021

Does anyone know what the deal is with extra time being given, i can see theres an extra 30 minutes but some people have said about extensions because of typing issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Angela21

Fe123 wrote: »

At least do theraptic aspect - vts case talks
    about keeping a person in hospital for TB due to contagion and the need for period reviews of condition

Handy case to have just in case. His problem questions are rarely one topic so handy to have a good case from an area if your out of time 🙂

Would have thought likely for covid to affect the format this sitting as they would have been already prepared but u never know

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fe12020oct

does anyone know how to find the results of past fe-1 exams?

Does anyone else feel so overwhelmed that it’s hard to concentrate and study even though it’s such a critical time for cramming. Preoccupied with the exam grids and worrying I haven’t studied enough topics etc

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rickmatt

Hi,

Anyone have the March 2020 Constitutional Paper

And/OR

October 2019 Sample Answers

Can swap for any other subject, would be eternally grateful... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rickmatt

channing90 wrote: »
    Constitutional: Is this enough ?

Essays: president/ Attorney general
    Referendum
    Constitutional interpretation
    Article 45

Problem questions :

Religion
    Family/Education
    Due process article 38
    Freedom of expression
    Separation of powers
    Liberty
    Equality
    Property rights

I put up a similar post to this as regards what to cover. Find Constitutional so unpredictable and with very little pattern so I've covered a few more topics than yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fe1toomany

Hiya1234 wrote: »
    Has anyone done the Constitutional October 2016 question 3 ? Its the problem question for equality. I am wondering if you would be willing to send to me so I can see how it was laid out? I can swap for anything!

Michael is 15 years old. He is convicted of theft. As a person under the age of 18, he is eligible to
    be considered for education detention under the Sentencing of Minors Act 2016. This is a form of
    detention which involves the placing of minors in prisons but in a unit separate from the main
    population where there is greater access to training and other educational supports and where
    the detainees are subject to less restrictions than those provided for by the Prison Rules. It is
    also a firm of detention which is not treated in law as a criminal conviction.
    The Judge directs that Michael be subject to educational detention for a period of 2 years.
    Rule 26(1) of the Prison Rules 2016 allows a prisoner to earn remission on a sentence of 25% ‘for
    good conduct, as judged by a Prison Governor’. However, the Prison Rules 2016 are specified in
    their definition to apply only to ‘persons detained on foot of a criminal conviction’.
    Michael considers it unfair that he is not eligible to apply for remission. He asks your advice as to
    whether there are any grounds of Irish Constitutional Law upon which he can challenge this.
    Advise Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 fe1student2803

Any criminal law essay predictions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭shaunadennyham

Any criminal law essay predictions?

Classification of a crime bc omissions came up in March

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

Tort

Defamation came up in the last 5 papers incl. Aug 2020. Is there any point studying if for this exam? It has never been so consecutive in past papers

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭StabiloLaw

fe1fi20 wrote: »
    Tort

Defamation came up in the last 5 papers incl. Aug 2020. Is there any point studying if for this exam? It has never been so consecutive in past papers
    It didn't come up in the online August sitting, but until then I would have said it was actually a definite cert for Tort going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

Any essay predictions for Tort? I thought damages but it came up in August online so maybe not?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CoconutHeadMia

Criminal -
    Are there any defences that people think are okay to leave out? Or are there any in particular that absolutely have to be covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 baloo21

Criminal -
    Are there any defences that people think are okay to leave out? Or are there any in particular that absolutely have to be covered?

I would definitely cover provocation, insanity and intoxication. Duress seems to come up quite a lot too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

I recently got sent my script from the Tort exam in August via email. It's laughable how little they read or mark on the paper. They must scan it in about 2 minutes checking for a mention of key cases and relevant law, and nothing else. Just a scrawl of a number at the end of a question. I know I am not an examiner, but I most definitely had 3 good answers and 2 which were not of the same standard and I got the same marks across all 5 questions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement