Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

My laziness hit a new level today, I was on the couch watching TV through my PC and I changed to YouTube, I wanted to search for Liverpool vids but my keyboard was on the coffee table and I opened up a new tab on twitter so I could copy the word Liverpool from a tweet then change back to YouTube and paste it in.

I'm not proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

joeguevara wrote: »
    I know that this isn't a general thread or a b1tching one but I have to get something off my chest (I will make up for it with a recommendation at the end).

Absolutely loving seeing Sacha baron Cohen in a completely different light as he stars in drama in the spy and Chicago 7. The guy is a legend and the fact that he is married to isla Fisher (Shannon from home and away) multiplies that by billions. Interestingly he was supposed to play Freddie Mercury in the biopic and pulled out himself after Brian May wanted the movie to focus on them rather than end at Freddie dying. Be like the doors movie going on an hour and a half after jimi does.

Anyway I digress. Being telling my mate about his film brothers grimsby. I had watched it on Netflix about a month ago. Went to search and wtf... Gone.

So decided to go to sacha and will ferrell old faithful. Talladega nights. Wtf... Gone.

Seeing as I said will ferrell said go for him... The campaign... Wtf... All watched in last 3 or 4 months. All gone. Rant over.

Recommendation... Watched Ronin last night. De Niro and Jean reno. Entertaining.

The Brothers Grimsby is RTE2 at 12:15am

• Registered Users Posts: 39,754 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So I’ve now watched three episodes of the second series of unsolved mysteries and jaysus gmisk you weren’t joking when you said the Oslo episode was good. I’d love to know how exactly she managed to check into a hotel without paying which according to the journalist wasn’t something you could get away with and the fact the woman left the room for nearly a day at one point. Very strange.

The third episode just annoyed me. I’m not for the death penalty but neither am I for convicted child murderers going out shopping and giving what amounts to scouts honour that they won’t run off.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,887 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Watched the new Lily James movie, Rebecca last night. It's good, very well made and good acting performances. Storyline is quite strange, but if you're not one for horrors and want something mysterious for the week that's in it, would recommend.

How is Kristin Scott Thomas as Mrs Danvers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So I’ve now watched three episodes of the second series of unsolved mysteries and jaysus gmisk you weren’t joking when you said the Oslo episode was good. I’d love to know how exactly she managed to check into a hotel without payipng which according to the journalist wasn’t something you could get away with and the fact the woman left the room for nearly a day at one point. Very strange.

The third episode just annoyed me. I’m not for the death penalty but neither am I for convicted child murderers going out shopping and giving what amounts to scouts honour that they won’t run off.

Obviously someone working in the hotel was involved, knew she was an intelligence agent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

fin12 wrote: »
    Obviously someone working in the hotel was involved, knew she was an intelligence agent.

I was wondering if it's possible she showed ID at the time but it was taken by whoever killed her? I'm assuming she was murdered of course

The third episode seemed so out of place though, a guy disappeared in the 70's while on an honour program and while I fully agree he should be in prison surely he wasn't the first or the last to pull that stunt? Not sure what makes his case worthy of an episode if you get my meaning?

Add in the fact that it was the 70's and America is such a big country surely it wouldn't have been that difficult to disappear, much easier than it would be today?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So I’ve now watched three episodes of the second series of unsolved mysteries and jaysus gmisk you weren’t joking when you said the Oslo episode was good. I’d love to know how exactly she managed to check into a hotel without paying which according to the journalist wasn’t something you could get away with and the fact the woman left the room for nearly a day at one point. Very strange.

The oslo episode it's a cracking episode isn't it.
    The whole balistics were off as well by looks of it. No ID, no labels on clothes, the man at reception seemingly, it's really interesting.
    The reddit thread on it is well worth a read.

I thought the third episode was interesting as well...it's mad someone like that could just wander around Christmas shopping! It was a good contrast I thought and there is chance with the show something might happen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Finished You Me Her. 10 episodes in the final season, skip the first 9, actually if you want to skip the first 4 seasons and the first 9 episodes of season 5 you'll still probably get it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Apologies, I misunderstood what you were going for - and for the record I disagree, Primal Fear court scene is far superior

Nothing like a good court room scene. Few good men has to be the most quoted. My cousin vinny is my favourite legal film. Devil's advocate really is an underrated movie and I am always surprised that loads of people I know have never heard of it never mind seen it. Definitely raised ethical issues with the black magic assistance as well as whether a guilty person should be convicted regardless of evidence.

Kramer v Kramer is one that I don't really want to discuss but it is one of the most dramatic cases in film.

Legally blonde cracks me up.

One that I nearly forgot about and only watched a couple of months ago on TV was Sleepers. Dustin Hoffman read his lines to ensure he won an unwinnable case. Brad Pitt threw it. De Niro rocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

More on mindhunter, not cancelled officially but it looks like David fincher in done

https://www.vulture.com/2020/10/mindhunter-season-three-not-happening.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Glow Up season 1
    In this competition show, aspiring makeup artists navigate colorful challenges to win a career-making opportunity in the beauty industry.

The Possession of Hannah Grace
    When a former cop lands a job at a morgue, her graveyard shift takes a terrifying turn with the delivery of a young girl's haunted corpse

Added

Watched Barbarians last night. Really enjoyed it such a pity it’s only 6 episodes. Too short.

Then watched Rebecca after, thought that was pretty good aswell, I heard it was getting some negative reviews but I think it’s a good film.

So would recommend both the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

The Queens Gambit is excellent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

fin12 wrote: »
    Watched Barbarians last night. Really enjoyed it such a pity it’s only 6 episodes. Too short.

Barbarians was a good watch, if a bit predictable.
    I was half expecting a bit more though. Certainly more battles, would have added to a good show, 10 episodes would have been better. Still a worthy watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I enjoyed Rebecca as well. I thought it works well in its own right with a very luscious look throughout. Scott Thomas is brilliant as the repugnant Danvers.

The whole thing is slightly ironic though in that this movie can never escape the presence of the first Rebecca just like Lily James' nameless character.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Addle wrote: »
    I was just reading a review of it on a major chess website. They had some serious consultants, including Garry Kasparov (World Champion from the mid 80s until the early 2000s) and the positions and games shown are all properly designed. Usually when you see chess depicted on screen, the position is illegal and the moves make no sense.

Also, the book it's based on is highly regarded, and early reviews are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just finished ep 4 of new unsolved mysteries.
    Some of the video footage was astounding...but the actual mysteries a lot less so.
    Weakest of this batch for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Addle wrote: »

I’m only on the second episode so far but I’m very impressed so far. I’m considering getting a series of face tattoos, one tattoo for each episode and a chest tattoo with Mr. Shaibel face.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Season two of the Alienist good? I did quite enjoy the first season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Season two of the Alienist good? I did quite enjoy the first season

Yes, I am watching it now, half way through. It is indeed very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

mikhail wrote: »
    I was just reading a review of it on a major chess website. They had some serious consultants, including Garry Kasparov (World Champion from the mid 80s until the early 2000s) and the positions and games shown are all properly designed. Usually when you see chess depicted on screen, the position is illegal and the moves make no sense.

Also, the book it's based on is highly regarded, and early reviews are good.

It's one of the most faithful adaptions of a book that I've seen, and even the changes that are made make sense, except for one in the final episode. As far as the chess itself goes, it's well done, although the mate against the teacher was surely something that someone coaching a high school team would have seen coming. Also the players frequently forget to write down their moves. But these are just quibbles. It's an excellent show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Cheers to those drawing attention to The Queens Gambit. Wasn't on my radar before but I'm very much intrigued by the subject matter. Still a little unsure as to the tone of the show. What is it most comparable to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Cheers to those drawing attention to The Queens Gambit. Wasn't on my radar before but I'm very much intrigued by the subject matter. Still a little unsure as to the tone of the show. What is it most comparable to?

The comparison I keep hearing is with "The Crown", for its production values I think. I've never watched the Crown myself, so I'm just repeating what I've read.

This evening I watched the Korean film #Alive
    I thought it was quite good!

Father figure with Owen Wilson. Pretty funny, would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

storker wrote: »
    The comparison I keep hearing is with "The Crown", for its production values I think. I've never watched the Crown myself, so I'm just repeating what I've read.
    I first assumed it was a regal period drama so was also set to ignore it. No interest in The Crown myself either although good to hear it's on that level in terms of production values.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Xaniaj

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I first assumed it was a regal period drama so was also set to ignore it. No interest in The Crown myself either although good to hear it's on that level in terms of production values.

I'm on episode 4 of the Queens Gambit and it really is excellent. I've only seen the first season of The Crown but I can understand the comparisons as the production is top notch!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Finished barbarians, a bit meh,a good bit actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just finished the Betty Broderick story - really good, the actress who plays her is brilliant - Amanda Peet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Rebecca is brilliant imo

Advertisement