Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amy Huberman. Finding Joy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

gazzer wrote: »
    I felt nauseous paying my renewal of my licence fee today. Funding the likes of this ****e. I wouldn't have paid it only I work for the Dept of Communications

It's alright RTÉ has moved over to Dept of Media now, hope you were not assigned to the Post and Telegraphs division.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Elmo wrote: »
    It's alright RTÉ has moved over to Dept of Media now, hope you were not assigned to the Post and Telegraphs division.

No. Staying where I am. My bedroom office 😂

Out of the top 20, so under 228,000 viewers this week. Ray D'Arcy would be getting into the top 5, maybe its a ploy to show us all that in reality we need Ray!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,886 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

If you didn't see much of it then...?

Eh, either way, missed out tbh. Catastrophe is some of the best Irish or British writing in recent memory.

Can ye imagine how different Irish tv could be if RTE were giving people with Horgan's kind of talent a reason to stay rather than paying their otherwise completely unhireable human wallpaper presenters half a million a year?

I wasn't really into Catastrophe, it was ok and it was well done so I get the hype around it.
    I found Pulling far better, absolutely hilarious at times. Wouldn't it be nice if RTE could produce such a show instead of this garbage by Amy?
    They really do just live in a bubble, RTE, and why wouldn't they, they get paid truck loads of money no matter what the plebs think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Maybe it's using the same creative accounting that was used in the film 'The Producers' - film the worst sitcom you can create and take out insurance against it flopping. Beginning to make sense.

Wasnt there a fairly recent case in UK where a movie specifically made was an elaborate tax or insurance scam? A few people jailed including g an Irish woman who I think was the producer.

Found it, Aoife Madden is the Irish one involved.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-21922456

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Out of the top 20, so under 228,000 viewers this week. Ray D'Arcy would be getting into the top 5, maybe its a ploy to show us all that in reality we need Ray!

Imagine how much worse the ratings would be if we were in normal times and people had places to be, people to see...everyone is sat in on Saturday night now and even that’s not helping it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

As a taxpayer funded broadcaster surely the public should have some type of influence over at least some productions. I've never heard or read anything positive about this show so it really isnt representative of the public appetite.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

As a taxpayer funded broadcaster surely the public should have some type of influence over at least some productions. I've never heard or read anything positive about this show so it really isnt representative of the public appetite.

But it's loike totes representative of millionairess's loike totes stressful loife on the Southsoyde of the capital city with the weight of the world on your shoulders having to make loike totes life-changing decisions every day about which magazine to do an interview for or which Hermes handbag to take with you to lunch after a hard morning's graft on Instagram. Don't these people deserve a voice too?

I don't think the audience can have that much control. The problem is that RTÉ only spend about 2.2million on independent drama a year, if they were producing more you could write this of as a dud but as there are so few drama/comedies coming from RTÉ you end up will just duds.

Though it should never have got a second series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw an episode of this the other night and it is truly awful. It was actually physically painful to sit through and in the end I couldn't even make it through an entire episode. The comic timing is not there, the jokes are just not funny and the acting from everyone involved is so hammy and over cooked as to make childrens TV seem like the Godfather.
    I do have some sympathy for Amy huberman though. She is being (rightly) criticised for this crap but you gotta start somewhere and who knows, if she sticks at the writing she may eventually come up with something decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Laughing remembering that she went to William and Kate’s wedding on her own, she was invited as BOD’s plus one, he couldn’t go because of an imminent match so she went anyway. Scarlet for her. I remember hearing her saying that their invitation was just to the ceremony so she didn’t even get a sandwich, imagine the plus one travelling overseas just to go to the ceremony on their own.

santana75 wrote: »
    Saw an episode of this the other night and it is truly awful. It was actually physically painful to sit through and in the end I couldn't even make it through an entire episode. The comic timing is not there, the jokes are just not funny and the acting from everyone involved is so hammy and over cooked as to make childrens TV seem like the Godfather.
    I do have some sympathy for Amy huberman though. She is being (rightly) criticised for this crap but you gotta start somewhere and who knows, if she sticks at the writing she may eventually come up with something decent.

3rd ep was even worse then the first two, human Aidan scene was way too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

hamburgham wrote: »
    Laughing remembering that she went to William and Kate’s wedding on her own, she was invited as BOD’s plus one, he couldn’t go because of an imminent match so she went anyway. Scarlet for her. I remember hearing her saying that their invitation was just to the ceremony so she didn’t even get a sandwich, imagine the plus one travelling overseas just to go to the ceremony on their own.

yeah that was bizarre, imagine showing up to a wedding on your own where you dont even know anybody, thats completely awkward. And then you're not even invited to the dinner part.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah that was bizarre, imagine showing up to a wedding on your own where you dont even know anybody, thats completely awkward. And then you're not even invited to the dinner part.

She absolutely milked that for “content” at the time, including several Irish independent articles (incl. one about a slice of the cake - allegedly) and of course across her own social media platforms. You’d swear she was one of the bridesmaids the way she went on about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

has she a full time PR team i see daily articles about the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I've a feeling itll get another series.

I know I said last time it wouldn't .... but it just can't this time... there is no way RTÉ or Acorn could commission it again, unless Acorn commission it and RTÉ only buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

bigpink wrote: »
    has she a full time PR team i see daily articles about the show?

She is "famous for being famous" as they said about Jimmy Savile and equally as talentless.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I know I said last time it wouldn't .... but it just can't this time... there is no way RTÉ or Acorn could commission it again, unless Acorn commission it and RTÉ only buy it.

Never say never! Acorn TV seem to be an American streaming service who plan to distribute it across much of the english speaking world. Looking at the press release they're highly enthusiastic about series 2, I wonder what these lot are smoking
    Catherine Mackin, Managing Director of Acorn Media Enterprises noted; “We’re excited to work with Amy Huberman, Treasure Entertainment, and our friends at RTÉ to bring back this very funny and relatable comedy. With securing more rights globally for Finding Joy, we’re thrilled to have the opportunity to share this fun and irreverent Irish comedy with Acorn TV subscribers worldwide.”
    Shane Murphy, RTÉ Group Head of Drama and Comedy said; “We’re thrilled to be going into production again with Amy and Treasure. Investing in homegrown comedy and drama that showcases the best of Irish creative talent is a key priority for us here in RTÉ. It's another cracking set of scripts and with John Butler and Cathal Watters involved as well, we know we’re in safe hands."
    Producer Rebecca O'Flanagan said; ‘We are thrilled to be shooting series 2 of this great comedy. Series 1 was a great professional experience: Amy is a joy to work with and our partners at Acorn and RTÉ have been thoroughly supportive throughout. And we believe this second series will be even better – and will reach an even wider audience.”
    Finding Joy, Series 2 will make its World Premiere as an Acorn TV Original on Acorn TV, North America’s largest streaming service for television from Britain and beyond, in Summer 2020 followed by its Irish premiere on RTÉ. Acorn Media Enterprises has secured all rights in North America, Australia, New Zealand and United Kingdom and secondary rights in Ireland. Acorn Media International will distribute the series in the English-speaking territories.
    Amy Huberman is one of Ireland’s most popular actresses. She has been nominated for eight Irish Film & TV Awards, including wins for Best Actress for her role as Tara Rafferty in Striking Out in 2017 and as Karen in the thriller Rewind in 2011. Additional credits include The Clinic (also on Acorn TV), Cold Feet, Can’t Cope Won’t Cope, Moone Boy, and Threesome.
    http://www.iftn.ie/news/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4293087&tpl=archnews&force=1

• Advertisement

Never say never! Acorn TV seem to be an American streaming service who plan to distribute it across much of the english speaking world. Looking at the press release they're highly enthusiastic about series 2, I wonder what these lot are smoking

http://www.iftn.ie/news/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4293087&tpl=archnews&force=1

Not saying this is as bad as Hallmark but .... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TheDavester

I think they did (for some posts anyway) turned off the comments on social media about the show and have severely dropped the number of ads like they did for the first two episodes (also Indo and other reviewers/social media slaughtered it being dreadfully poor) ...i think they wont give her a 3rd series....but they'll give her another chance to write a show where its the same premise but she's now an accountant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Gotta get her mug on the papers/the insta posts....but how cringy is that, real life wedding crasher

Catherine Mackin, Managing Director of Acorn Media Enterprises noted; “We’re excited to work with Amy Huberman, Treasure Entertainment, and our friends at RTÉ to bring back this very funny and relatable comedy. With securing more rights globally for Finding Joy, we’re thrilled to have the opportunity to share this fun and irreverent Irish comedy with Acorn TV subscribers worldwide.”

Shane Murphy, RTÉ Group Head of Drama and Comedy said; “We’re thrilled to be going into production again with Amy and Treasure. Investing in homegrown comedy and drama that showcases the best of Irish creative talent is a key priority for us here in RTÉ. It's another cracking set of scripts and with John Butler and Cathal Watters involved as well, we know we’re in safe hands."

Producer Rebecca O'Flanagan said; ‘We are thrilled to be shooting series 2 of this great comedy. Series 1 was a great professional experience: Amy is a joy to work with and our partners at Acorn and RTÉ have been thoroughly supportive throughout. And we believe this second series will be even better – and will reach an even wider audience.”

Well, at least they’re thrilled. What about the rest of us? :D

I think they did (for some posts anyway) turned off the comments on social media about the show and have severely dropped the number of ads like they did for the first two episodes (also Indo and other reviewers/social media slaughtered it being dreadfully poor) ...i think they wont give her a 3rd series....but they'll give her another chance to write a show where its the same premise but she's now an accountant

Even if you have pure ****e you have to market it, regardless, not to try to get an audience for it is just as bad as producing it.

RTÉ did a huge promo drive for Yellowstone during the summer, first episode tops RTÉ2's shows over 100,000 viewers, nothing over the rest of the run back down to under 50,000 viewers, nothing to do with quality just no promotion for the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Amy going to be on Living with Lucy Monday night , that constant laughing at nothing must be hard work

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭BornIn84

Even if you have pure ****e you have to market it, regardless, not to try to get an audience for it is just as bad as producing it.

RTÉ did a huge promo drive for Yellowstone during the summer, first episode tops RTÉ2's shows over 100,000 viewers, nothing over the rest of the run back down to under 50,000 viewers, nothing to do with quality just no promotion for the show.

I heard its a good show. would you recommend @Elmo?

BornIn84 wrote: »
    I heard its a good show. would you recommend @Elmo?

I heard it was a good show also (Yellowstone), I didn't get to watch it, but RTÉ promoted the hell out of its first episode, did better than normal for an RTÉ2, only to have no promotion the following weeks and it to lose 50% - 70% of its audience, I think it is still on the player.

Finding Joy moves to 10pm tonight following a repeat of Mrs. Browne's Boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Karlos77

Watched an episode now jesus it's brutal.joy is a focking nob head. ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

Watching 'Finding Joy' must be like living in the twilight zone. I know we are living in weird times but 'Finding Joy' on a Saturday night? Is this a Halloween nightmare?

Advertisement