Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amy Huberman. Finding Joy.

Options

Comments

Elmo wrote: »
    I think just for one episode. Seems to me that they were give 150,000 per episode and didn't quite know what do with the money and decided to fly in a few people from abroad.

€150,000 per episode??? :eek: Disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

They really should change the name to Finding no joy, just been forced to watch 2 episodes, have to take a couple of painkillers now

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I wonder what Neil Morriseys 10 second cameo cost last week, would guess he is not going to do it for any less than 10k + hotel and flight costs. Absolutely pointless having him in there as staff in Supermacs except for Huberman doing a friend a favour. He must have been laughing his head off straight down to the bank.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I wonder what Neil Morriseys 10 second cameo cost last week, would guess he is not going to do it for any less than 10k + hotel and flight costs. Absolutely pointless having him in there as staff in Supermacs except for Huberman doing a friend a favour. He must have been laughing his head off straight down to the bank.

He just always seems to be in the right place at the right time. He was riding Amanda Holden one time too when she had her pick of suitors (well actually she didnt she was meant to be married) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54,972 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Can you just imagine poor owl BOD fake laughing to it and spoofing the fooking head off Amy telling her how it’s actually quite good..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Oh, just no. Losing sanity might be a better title for it.
    Utter scuttle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

walshb wrote: »
    Can you just imagine poor owl BOD fake laughing to it and spoofing the fooking head off Amy telling her how it’s actually quite good..

https://goss.ie/showbiz/amy-huberman-admits-she-stopped-wearing-perfume-after-husband-brian-odriscoll-said-he-hated-it-227613

Pitty he didn't say acting.

We had just said the same in this house last week and pitied him having to pretend that was actually funny. Was also saying how his ex team mates would be texting to say they thought it was great too. Poor Tommy Bowe.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

Having read the posts and then a review by Liam Fay in last weekends Sunday Times in which he states:

"...This insufferably smug and witless ball of giddy fluff...What we're supposed to find hilarious, it seems, is the incongruous spectacle of a famously stylish celebrity like Huberman getting gussied up in garb that her look daft or dowdy...Joy is essentially a walking checklist of chick-flick cliché."

My question is why would anyone waste a minute of their time of this earth to watch such crap? Surely, people after watching some or all of series one would have had a very good idea of what to expect?

Having read the posts and then a review by Liam Fay in last weekends Sunday Times in which he states:

"...This insufferably smug and witless ball of giddy fluff...What we're supposed to find hilarious, it seems, is the incongruous spectacle of a famously stylish celebrity like Huberman getting gussied up in garb that her look daft or dowdy...Joy is essentially a walking checklist of chick-flick cliché."

My question is why would anyone waste a minute of their time of this earth to watch such crap? Surely, people after watching some or all of series one would have had a very good idea of what to expect?

The ad was enough.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    so they can sell it to the English, UKTV seem to pick up this kind of stuff. In fairness it was clearly signaled as a very very light, and Huberman isn't the worst actress and in this very light comedy drama she's joining the dots, don't expect much.

Also Huberman has forged a career for herself, she has been on nearly every single Sunday Night drama on RTÉ since the demise of Glenroe (20 fing years nearly), long before she met BOD, On Home Ground, The Clinic, Striking Out, surprised she didn't get a role in Raw or Love/Hate.

until she met BOD though she was a bit part character at best in the few things she was in. Her career would have ultimately died off even with her RTE connections. Her brother acts as well. Another brutally wooden actor

if he can keep a straight face and tell her this, he deserves multiple oscars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

They really should change the name to F...

...unding Amy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Thats actually a good concept for a comedy. Bubble head actress marries sports star and lands TV series that is dire. Everyone around her and her husband have to pretend its great. Rob Kearney and Tommy Bowe meeting up and fake laughing about how hilarious the show is each knowing the other is lying but everyone too afraid. Good metaphor for loads of stuff in Ireland. Isn't Hector a sream in Africa???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

saabsaab wrote: »
    'Catastrophe', apt name. Didn't see much of it. Mean woman meets nice guy get pregnant, that's it. Not my thing surprised it did as well as it did.

It's brilliant and very funny. Takes a a few episodes to get into it as found the American lads accent a bit much .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭TheDavester

until she met BOD though she was a bit part character at best in the few things she was in. Her career would have ultimately died off even with her RTE connections. Her brother acts as well. Another brutally wooden actor

Ryle Nugent must be commissioning shows now in RTE .. doing anything for his rugby heroes

I saw the credits at the end of last nights episode and it had around 70 or 80 people working on making it. Plus it said "Supported by RTE and the Government of Ireland through tax concessions" which I presume is that Section 481 Film tax credit which allows investors in fils and tv programs write off 32% of their costs against tax. Must say Im flabberghasted that investors actually invested in this tripe, I dont think they'll be seeing much of a profit out of this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I saw the credits at the end of last nights episode and it had around 70 or 80 people working on making it. Plus it said "Supported by RTE and the Government of Ireland through tax concessions" which I presume is that Section 481 Film tax credit which allows investors in fils and tv programs write off 32% of their costs against tax. Must say Im flabberghasted that investors actually invested in this tripe, I dont think they'll be seeing much of a profit out of this one.

It isn't profit dependent as far as I understand. The benefit is known when you put your money in (open to correction on that).

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

Maybe it's using the same creative accounting that was used in the film 'The Producers' - film the worst sitcom you can create and take out insurance against it flopping. Beginning to make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

ligerdub wrote: »
    It isn't profit dependent as far as I understand. The benefit is known when you put your money in (open to correction on that).

It a tax avoidance scheme really, you help out the film industry we then refund you the tax. Never really got it tbh.

As I say almost all Irish scripted TV (drama and comedy) has gone this way. Lots of funding from different sources, little RTÉ input.

Watch the second one. It was awful. It was all over place, completely.

What? Did no one read the script or did the editors not wonder about the show.

Did anyone here work on it?

Maybe I am too forgiving but there might be something here if re-written.

Laura Whitmore even got another cameo! The Abkab scene what was going on? It's an old joke we don't serve alcohol here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

This woman can't act and isn't funny, but she's BODs wife and well in with RTE so all's ok. Just pay your licence fee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I would say he is well used to doing that at this stage, they are married 10 years.

As far as I know as soon as RTE decide to broadcast you are in profit? RTE purchase the show off whoever produced it. The onus is then on RTE to cover their cost with advertising revenue.

Whoever produced the show should be turning a profit once the show gets commissioned.

Jesus this is comedy gold. Going to watch it now knowing this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

For anyone wondering how/why RTÉ broadcast this awful show, I think it’s the same reason why they are currently making a 2nd show of ‘The Style Counsellors’. They are seeing the huge number of Instagram followers of both Amy and Sosueme and jumping in it, paying big money to these 2 already rich young women. The Style Counsellors was terrible, Sosueme and Pennywise the granny clown presenting, the former having to slow her speech to be tv coherent and the latter slurring her words due to her old age. This show (TSCs) is so bad you just have to watch it.

Hey its on now . Even had an RTE "funny" sex scene where the girl got sick on the guys....... em thingy - you know what. Hur hur hur abso looty hilarious

It's crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

I felt nauseous paying my renewal of my licence fee today. Funding the likes of this ****e. I wouldn't have paid it only I work for the Dept of Communications

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

You’re seriously underestimating the fees involved in a tv series if you think an appearance is €10k. Opening a Supermac’s in Ballinasloe will net you €20K+. An appearance would be approx €50k, then there’s repeat fees (and we know RTÉ will be repeating this every year until 2040 and beyond), and he’ll get fees if it’s sold on to other stations and countries - prob unlikely in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

You’re seriously underestimating the fees involved in a tv series if you think an appearance is €10k. Opening a Supermac’s in Ballinasloe will net you €20K+. An appearance would be approx €50k, then there’s repeat fees (and we know RTÉ will be repeating this every year until 2040 and beyond), and he’ll get fees if it’s sold on to other stations and countries - prob unlikely in this case.

ButtersSuki thankfully for us Finding Joy its a drama and RTÉ consistently fail to repeat their own drama/comedy all that much because of said fees. They had to force a repeat of season 1 on RTÉ2 last year to see how epic the first season was, 5,000 or so viewers, since then season 1 has not been repeated. You'll be unluckly to catch the first and only repeat of Finding Joy sometime next summer.

Advertisement