Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amy Huberman. Finding Joy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Ok, I managed up to the end of part 1 of episode 1 of this new series. Think I saw 5 minutes of the last series.

Awful, awful stuff. Not funny, not relatable in any way. How can this eejit of a character afford a massive house in SCD with her fluff job where she doesn't appear to be making any money?

Agree that Amy Huberman is amusing on Instagram but I'm even starting to tire of her on there, the puns and the cutesy stuff. It's just not fair that she is taking opportunities away from people who can actually write comedy and would love to work in Ireland, not have to go to the UK for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭brian_t

hamburgham wrote: »
    Liam Fay wrote a fantastic piece annihilating Tubridy in the Sunday Times a few years ago.
    dmn22 wrote: »
    Link?

I'm pretty sure that is behind a paywall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Shelga wrote: »
    Ok, I managed up to the end of part 1 of episode 1 of this new series. Think I saw 5 minutes of the last series.

Awful, awful stuff. Not funny, not relatable in any way. How can this eejit of a character afford a massive house in SCD with her fluff job where she doesn't appear to be making any money?

Agree that Amy Huberman is amusing on Instagram but I'm even starting to tire of her on there, the puns and the cutesy stuff. It's just not fair that she is taking opportunities away from people who can actually write comedy and would love to work in Ireland, not have to go to the UK for work.

Its RTE cronyism in a nutshell. How the hell does Dee Forbes go cap in hand to govenrment every time and have this to show for?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Ya...i would love to read THAT! (Inside joke on the tubridy thread)

link to this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

hamburgham wrote: »
    Liam Fay wrote a fantastic piece annihilating Tubridy in the Sunday Times a few years ago. It was hilarious yet laser point accurate, expressing exactly what I felt about him but could never articulate as well as he did.

Would love to read this article is it from 2012?

No doubt Tubridy would put any criticism down to "negativity" online. I can actually see him interviewing Huberman and 2 kindred spiritis bemoaning the online haters and the like.

I find these no mark tv people tend to have a thin skin to any kind of criticism and like to exist in a bubble where people need to be kind etc..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

What does she do different on Instagram?Still waiting on an example

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I dont get the "Irelands" sweetheart, national treasure" thing . I mean shes not a household name..

That was all media manufactured by the Indo namely by Caitlin Moran who seemed to write almost a daily article on Huberman at one stage. "Amy reveals X, Amy revals Y" day after day. The thing is these 'celebrity' journalists need content to fill webpages and they do that by blowing smoke up their holes, it is an ego massaging exercise so they get more info to write even more content. It was the Indo who labeled Huberman and BOD as Irelands Posh and Becks, its a complete cringefest
    brian_t wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that is behind a paywall.

It might not be if its from 2012 but if it is it would be good if someone who has a sub could post it up

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

bigpink wrote: »

You were told. She's totes hilairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Compare this to something like Catastrophe... it's just embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,025 ✭✭✭✭walshb

bigpink wrote: »

Trust me, it’s about as interesting as this pile of Sh1t show she has on RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭TheDavester

walshb wrote: »
    Trust me, it’s about as interesting as this pile of Sh1t show she has on RTE.

she did a tweet the other day (popped up on timeline as a friend follows/likes it - didnt activlely go searching) of her posing in front of a poster of her show - so "gas" like......yeah she's just ugh....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Shelga wrote: »
    Compare this to something like Catastrophe... it's just embarrassing.

'Catastrophe', apt name. Didn't see much of it. Mean woman meets nice guy get pregnant, that's it. Not my thing surprised it did as well as it did.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    That was all media manufactured by the Indo namely by Caitlin Moran who seemed to write almost a daily article on Huberman at one stage. "Amy reveals X, Amy revals Y" day after day.

You sure it was Caitlin Moran?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

saabsaab wrote: »
    'Catastrophe', apt name. Didn't see much of it. Mean woman meets nice guy get pregnant, that's it. Not my thing surprised it did as well as it did.

If you didn't see much of it then...?

Eh, either way, missed out tbh. Catastrophe is some of the best Irish or British writing in recent memory.

Can ye imagine how different Irish tv could be if RTE were giving people with Horgan's kind of talent a reason to stay rather than paying their otherwise completely unhireable human wallpaper presenters half a million a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

saabsaab wrote: »

If you didn't see much of it then you don't really know how good it is.
    You're judging it on just a premise, which is just lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Its RTE cronyism in a nutshell. How the hell does Dee Forbes go cap in hand to govenrment every time and have this to show for?

A bit **** perhaps but what about money squandered on the Hectoe eejit - in a language only used by loons

Effects wrote: »
    If you didn't see much of it then you don't really know how good it is.
    You're judging it on just a premise, which is just lazy.

Saw enough. Wasn't my thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Elmo wrote: »
    You sure it was Caitlin Moran?

sorry no, Caitlin McBride, not sure if she is working for the Indo anymore or at least her name doesnt seem to be below on bylines any more

This is an example of the kind of ego massaging the Indo does on 'The Hubes' :rolleyes:
    She might be considered Ireland's sweetheart, but Amy Huberman doesn't take her title too seriously.

The IFTA-winning actress (36) is often hailed as one of the most stylish women in the country, with the 'Amy effect' kicking in soon after she's pictured in something

And it seems The Hubes can also do no wrong when it comes to her social media presence, regularly landing on 'must follow' lists for Twitter and Instagram.

But all the success hasn't gone to her head as she told Independent Style she doesn't "overthink" it when it comes to getting a laugh online.
    "I think you have to ignore that a little bit, it's lovely and it's flattering but I think you just have to wear the stuff that you like to wear and take it with a pinch of salt," she told us.

"When it comes to social media, you can over think it and not say anything so I just say what pops into my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Dr. Nate from Home and Away in this series?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,186 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

RTÉ always giving work to that annoying Karen dancing wan also. I can’t even watch after school hub today but there she is. It’s a wonder her pillock boyfriend jake ‘I have no willy’ wasn’t also there with her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

RTÉ always giving work to that annoying Karen dancing wan also. I can’t even watch after school hub today but there she is. It’s a wonder her pillock boyfriend jake ‘I have no willy’ wasn’t also there with her.

I noticed that too, she was Eoin Colgans podcast / interview segment show on the rte player.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    I noticed that too, she was Eoin Colgans podcast / interview segment show on the rte player.

The Fair City scene with her was so cringey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I don't know what this is but I'm glad that there's the inference of a lack of joy because the extent of my knowledge is she's famous for being somebody's wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bocaman

Watch the first episode. Absolute tripe. What a horrendous actress. Courted by RTE because she's married to the utterly bland BOD.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Watched the first episode this in S1 when it came out and that was enough.

RTE commissioning this show is just wrong.

They and other media outlets, particularly the Irish Independent, are trying to promote Amy as a person that is a important somehow to the population.

Reports on the Indo range from her clothes, buying a house, problems with planning permission, clothes etc. All vacuous stuff..

RTE have also fallen for it.
    Sad thing is she get's a second series commissioned beause of this and a struggling and talented writer is out there desperately seeking to get their work taken on but their chance is gone.

bocaman wrote: »
    Watch the first episode. Absolute tripe. What a horrendous actress. Courted by RTE because she's married to the utterly bland BOD.

God forgive you. Or perhaps BOD forgive you . Only the greatest rugby player ever!

I gotta watch this today to see how awful it really is. Any chance it can be so bad it’s good??

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

I gotta watch this today to see how awful it really is. Any chance it can be so bad it’s good??

No, it’s just bad.

I think Hardy Bucks is pretty funny, every season if it.

Hardy Bucks would be far better without RTE sanitising it. To be fair, you had Bull Island, Pictorial Weekly, The Savage Eye... even the odd episode of Podge and Rodge wasn't afraid to push the boundaries. RTE have done good comedies in the past. Unfortunately, they've gone very neo-liberal and sanitised in their approach. Its a group think organisation that is afraid to offend people and ironically they offend loads. Namely the unfortunates paying the licence fee

Christ even Upwardly Mobile was a masterpiece compared to this tripe.

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Dr. Nate from Home and Away in this series?

I think just for one episode. Seems to me that they were give 150,000 per episode and didn't quite know what do with the money and decided to fly in a few people from abroad.

Advertisement