Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Absolut Vodka 70CL €20 @ Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭sceach16

Believe it or not Diageo can this for Heineken in Belfast using the same widget and canning process they use for for Guinness same shape of can etc - it is shipped from Cork to Marshals road and canned in single cans and 4 packs - from what I heard the reason for them not selling slabs is the market would not be there.

Murphys draught can is canned in the Tadcaster Johns Smiths brewery in the UK.

Brexit coming ! Will there be any Murphy's or Beamish with that supply chain?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

sceach16 wrote: »
    Brexit coming ! Will there be any Murphy's or Beamish with that supply chain?

Diageo have stated that there will be no supply issues there was some talk at one stage about small packaging moving back south of the boarder like they had in Dundalk but I think from a political prospective this would not be good press for Diageo and also the salaries south of the boarder would be a lot higher along with strong unions .

From a murphy's (Heineken) prospective would not be feasible to set a canning operation up in Ireland as the market would not be big enough to operate a canning facility and they would have plenty of compacity in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Heineken x 24 - €28
    Budweiser x 24 - €25
    Carlsberg x 24 - €25
    Coors x 24 - €36
    Guinness x 24 (470ml) - €28
    Bulmers x 24 (440ml) - €28

The drinks aisle is now covered in their Christmas branding which I wasn't expecting to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Tesco has baileys back at €12
    Super value also see has heino Christmas slab at 28

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Claude Greengrass

Just on Aldi, the actual crate prices are...
    Carlsberg €19.68
    Budweiser €23.64
    Guinness €25.08

All 19.67 when I was in there yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 81,218 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Cool, even better.

I was going on the per litre price at bottom of ad in paper, all the better if it's wrong, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

Tried the main Aldi in Tralee yesterday and again this evening, not a slab in sight ��

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

Just on Aldi, the actual crate prices are...
    Carlsberg €19.68
    Budweiser €23.64
    Guinness €25.08
    msmx5 wrote: »
    I'm in the rare situation of having completely run out of Guinness and I'm not sure whether to risk the 470ml "Runcorn" Cans.... think I'll search out some 500's if I can.

Picked a slab in Aldi for €19.67 along with some proper 500ml cans... did a blind tasting.

530364.jpg

530365.jpg

Both cans in the fridge overnight and taken out at the same time.

530366.jpg

Both cans poured identically one after the other without delay and result can be seen.

470ml can without normal floating widget was a flop and flat - no settling and no creamy head - looked like it had been sitting there for a half how when poured.

Taste:
    I did a blind test - the 470ml wasn't as bad as it looked but it was not as nice as the creamy 500ml can - 470ml tasted a bit "burnt" too.

Overall I am very un-impressed and will not be buying any more slabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

Tried the main Aldi in Tralee yesterday and again this evening, not a slab in sight ��

I went to two stores to find some in stock yesterday (Thursday evening) and only 7 or 8 slabs left in the 2nd store. Glad I only bought 1 slab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

msmx5 wrote: »

Overall I am very un-impressed and will not be buying any more slabs.

Thats absolutely shocking!!!! How can they run short of widgets. Is it not just a bit of plastic with nitrogen in it.

Thanks MSMX5 this 470ml can should have never been put onto the market its pure muck - gave the remainder of the tray I had to one of the guys in work today that would be grateful for anything and he said it was muck shame on Diageo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Same in my local...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Guinness have never had this can size before they have only canned 440ml for the UK and export market and 500ml for ROI market - would say the logic here is around compacity - the new size and widget can would take a lot of engineering from a canning prospective - so they would have most likely ran over 1000 pallets (enough to service the Christmas market) of this over a few shifts so they would not need to do a change over.

Runcorn mostly can the 440ml (Belfast so also) and on occasions 500ml cans of Kilkenny for the ROI market.

Just my tupence worth
    A USA 16oz guinness can is 473ml. It states that it is brewed and canned in Ireland.

Darc19 wrote: »
    A USA 16oz guinness can is 473ml. It states that it is brewed and canned in Ireland.

Its 440ml brewed in Dublin canned in Belfast or Runcorn

Have a look on the base of the can has it GE/GJ or GH ?

And if its for the US will have no Best before date ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭geordi

There isn't and there won't be, best bet is to get 2x12 packs of 500ml somewhere that's on offer. Occasionally goes down to €15.
    Got a few boxes of 12 500ml cans for €15 in Dunnes Cornelscourt. They do delivery now and all. Arrived in 90 minutes! https://fooddelivery.dunnesstores.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Daughter looking for me to buy champagne for Christmas- any deals going??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Aldi Mallow had loads of Carlsberg and Hop House slabs last night, bought one on the way home from work only to discover when I got home that Misreputable had a purchased one yesterday morning whilst doing the shopping.
    It’s the only lager I can tolerate so a good result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭djdunny

Moet currently £23.49 on Amazon

Mo& Chandon Impal Brut NV Gift Box, 75 cl https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B16HGEU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_gzaLFb48HG4TG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭amber2

https://torcbrewing.ie/

Mixed case of 12 Ales 500ml bottles €30. Haven’t tried them out, bit early, so can’t comment on them just yet. Kingdom IPA 5% the other two are 4.2/4.3%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

djdunny wrote: »

Mo& Chandon Impal Brut NV Gift Box, 75 cl https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B16HGEU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_gzaLFb48HG4TG

How are you getting it delivered? Parcel Motel or Parcel Wizard?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

How are you getting it delivered? Parcel Motel or Parcel Wizard?

I've never used Parcel Wizard but I had a read of their terms and conditions and I didn't see it anywhere that they don't accept alcohol deliveries like is mentioned in some other companies conditions, although I could have missed it so I'm open to be corrected!!

djdunny wrote: »

Saw that but wouldn't let me buy ,I'd add to basket but it wouldn't land.cheapest currently £33. Thanks tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,956 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In previous years, in the run up to Christmas, Tesco have had weekends with 25% off any 6 bottles of wine or champagne. See a lot of people stocking up on champagne that weekend. No guarantee it'll be on this year though.

This isn't champagne, it's Australian made in a similar style and imo it's as nice as champagne €20 - €30 more expensive.
    Croser NV Sparkling, €23 in O'Briens
    https://www.obrienswine.ie/products/croser-nv-sparkling

O'Briens have this champagne on offer at €30, but haven't tasted it yet.
    https://www.obrienswine.ie/products/granzamy-brut-nv

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The best Champagne deal is available every single day in Aldi.

It’s produced by Philizot & Fils - http://www.champagne-philizot.fr/terroir-ang/ sells under the name Veuve Monsigny Champagne Brut and costs €19.99

Was once given the accolade of one of the best champagnes in the world, and I agree with that.

It’s magnificent and an absolute steal for €19.99

• Registered Users Posts: 7,839 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Skuxx wrote: »
    I've never used Parcel Wizard but I had a read of their terms and conditions and I didn't see it anywhere that they don't accept alcohol deliveries like is mentioned in some other companies conditions, although I could have missed it so I'm open to be corrected!!

Parcel Wizard provide a fantastic service for deliveries from the UK.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

vicwatson wrote: »
    The best Champagne deal is available every single day in Aldi.

It’s produced by Philizot & Fils - http://www.champagne-philizot.fr/terroir-ang/ sells under the name Veuve Monsigny Champagne Brut and costs €19.99

Was once given the accolade of one of the best champagnes in the world, and I agree with that.

It’s magnificent and an absolute steal for €19.99
    Thanks!

odyssey06 wrote: »
    In previous years, in the run up to Christmas, Tesco have had weekends with 25% off any 6 bottles of wine or champagne. See a lot of people stocking up on champagne that weekend. No guarantee it'll be on this year though.

This isn't champagne, it's Australian made in a similar style and imo it's as nice as champagne €20 - €30 more expensive.
    Croser NV Sparkling, €23 in O'Briens
    https://www.obrienswine.ie/products/croser-nv-sparkling

O'Briens have this champagne on offer at €30, but haven't tasted it yet.
    https://www.obrienswine.ie/products/granzamy-brut-nv
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Is the Budweiser offer at ALDI drinkable. Sometimes if I drink just one can of Bud I can get a bad headache unlike other beers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭dodzy

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Is the Budweiser offer at ALDI drinkable. Sometimes if I drink just one can of Bud I can get a bad headache unlike other beers?
    Well gone lad. Cheapest now is 25 in dunnes dropped to 20 if you have vouchers (if you buy 2)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement