Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanium bikes...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

at the very start he claims 'my anecdotal experience...' and i turned the video off. unless he is actually an expert on the topic, he's just a punter with an opinion. i'm not saying his opinion is necessarily wrong, just that it's a valuable as anyone here who has tried lots of bikes of different materials.

also, on another note, i think i once read that one of the issues with aluminium is that it simply was not around long enough - it was the dominant material (certainly at the top end) for only a decade or two, so many people's opinions of it would have been shaped by early iterations which might have been poor.
    for example, early carbon bikes probably feel like wet paper to modern ones.

He spends the rest of the video explaining relevant experimental data

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I've been riding a titanium Lynskey for five years with over 30,000 99% Audax kilometres on it. I love it for the fact that I can just rock out the door and ride. I don't have to worry about its paint when it's fecked into the luggage area of a bus.

Yes it is comfortable over multi-day rides, yes it is less responsive than my other bikes.It corners like a dream though. I have less upper body fatigue on Irish dead roads than on my other aluminium bike over the same 200km route. Same saddle, same set up. I'm a middle-aged woman of 60+ kg so I'm not particularly hard on components.

My bike is a proper Audax pony with dynamo front hub mudguards and pannier rack. The frame is too small to allow me to use frame bags and bike bottles at the same time.

For Irish roads on routes of 100km+ I'll always choose the Lynskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭cletus

at the very start he claims 'my anecdotal experience...' and i turned the video off. unless he is actually an expert on the topic, he's just a punter with an opinion. i'm not saying his opinion is necessarily wrong, just that it's a valuable as anyone here who has tried lots of bikes of different materials.

also, on another note, i think i once read that one of the issues with aluminium is that it simply was not around long enough - it was the dominant material (certainly at the top end) for only a decade or two, so many people's opinions of it would have been shaped by early iterations which might have been poor.
    for example, early carbon bikes probably feel like wet paper to modern ones.

If you watch the video fully, you'll see that he speaks about his anecdotal experience only to show that it's very often wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fugs!!

I've been riding a titanium Lynskey for five years with over 30,000 99% Audax kilometres on it. I love it for the fact that I can just rock out the door and ride. I don't have to worry about its paint when it's fecked into the luggage area of a bus.

Yes it is comfortable over multi-day rides, yes it is less responsive than my other bikes.It corners like a dream though. I have less upper body fatigue on Irish dead roads than on my other aluminium bike over the same 200km route. Same saddle, same set up. I'm a middle-aged woman of 60+ kg so I'm not particularly hard on components.

My bike is a proper Audax pony with dynamo front hub mudguards and pannier rack. The frame is too small to allow me to use frame bags and bike bottles at the same time.

For Irish roads on routes of 100km+ I'll always choose the Lynskey.

You sound like a very interesting person indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lewotsil

I was surely one of the eight !

I have been riding a Kinesis Gran Fondo Disc since early 2018 (havin bought frame in 2017) and I love the look and feel of it. It let me down 10 days before PBP as I noticed a 1/4 inch crack on downtube - I got replacement frame with zero hassle or questions - there is a 5 year guarantee on frames and some sort of lifetime trade-in if damaged in crash I think.........but it annoys me that I basically bought it to ride PBP and I didn't get to ......not quite fully bonded to it !

Love the aesthetic as well as the feel of Ti............never met a Ti buyer with regrets over frame.....best of luck

On the Angel of Mons audax a couple of years ago I joined up with a group of eleven heading for Castlebellingham. Eight of the group were riding titanium frames and I suspect the combined milage of the Ti bikes must have been well into the hundreds of thousands. All were different makes but everyone I spoke with was perfectly happy with their choice. If you are into doing big miles, titanium is the way to go.[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

I'm certainly not in the same league as the Nameless one, but I've done a lot of miles on Ti and on Carbon, and have zero regrets about taking my Carbon bike whenever a load of panniers is not needed. I do have an ergon split seatpost and a red-shift elastomered stem and a leather saddle, all of which (I think) add comfort, but without losing the responsiveness that blew me away when first I got off my Van Nic and onto a Carbon bike.
    Your mileage may vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

Has anyone on here used waltley for a build?

Chinese titanium online shop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5NJKO6tZcU

Cycling maven used them for a custom build. Certainly looks the part...

edit ive had a further google and there is mixed reviews .

Bit the bullet. Genesis Equilibrium Disc on the way..

Fugs!! wrote: »

i was looking myself..........

only thing that is turning me off is external cable routing . She looks a peach.

Id prefer it with ETAP AXS too. She's a peach though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVIX6pSxBV0

bit of night time naughty viewing for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

TRANQUILLO wrote: »

only thing that is turning me off is external cable routing . She looks a peach.

Trust me, you'll want external cable routing if you ever have to replace a cable when you're in the middle of nowhere on a long distance ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

i was looking myself..........

As a bike mechanic, I'd like to meet the person who originally decided internal cable routing was a good idea.

I would high five them.

In the face.

With a chair.

Trust me, you'll want external cable routing if you ever have to replace a cable when you're in the middle of nowhere on a long distance ride.

The bike would barely see the end of the road. It would be a trophy. Not a bicycle. eheheheh

8valve wrote: »
    As a bike mechanic, I'd like to meet the person who originally decided internal cable routing was a good idea.

I would high five them.

In the face.

With a chair.

That's why i pay other people to fix them. Plus as i alluded to, id rather electronic shifting.

Ah I got confused. So you did'nt get titanium in the end? Im thinking of the croix de fer ti

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Who changes cables in the middle of nowhere on a long ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Effects wrote: »
    Who changes cables in the middle of nowhere on a long ride?

Do Enough Audaxen and you will

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,548 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the croix de fer ti
    could they not have called it something else? makes a mess of the neat trick in the name.

could they not have called it something else? makes a mess of the neat trick in the name.

I don't follow?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,548 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'croix de fer' means 'cross of iron' and i assumed referred to the bike having a steel frame (in its original guise)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭randomstuff

'croix de fer' means 'cross of iron' and i assumed referred to the bike having a steel frame (in its original guise)

Its actually a reference to the famous mountain pass in the French alps, afaik.

yes, that's what the pun is, it's a cross bike made of iron (aka steel) so croix de fer was the perfect name.
    when they introduced the aluminium model, the changed the name to the CdA to reflect that.

Ah I got confused. So you did'nt get titanium in the end? Im thinking of the croix de fer ti
    No. I fell in love with the genisis the minute I saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

yes, that's what the pun is, it's a cross bike made of iron (aka steel) so croix de fer was the perfect name.
    when they introduced the aluminium model, the changed the name to the CdA to reflect that.

And you might feel crucified after a long day....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I see Decathlon are going to launch a titanium Triban (their budget range) gravel bike. Will take up to 45mm tires with 700c wheels. 1x11 Grx 600 and Fulcrum wheels.

Pre order at the end of October for delivery in February - 2399€.

I'm tempted

This was announced today. Frame is made by Dedacciai in Italy. Haven't seen an English review yet but here is one that can be google translated - https://yanngobert.com/2020/10/triban-grvl900-titane/

I'm in the market for a gravel bike but would still keep at least one if not two road bikes. This would be for an introduction to gravel, and possibly winter/longer distance with a second set of wheels and tires. Spec is in line with what I was looking for, I had a budget of 1500€ in mind for an alu frame. Ideally I'd consider steel as I have enough faster carbon or alu road bikes, and would like a bit of wow factor too. Haven't found anything steel with the spec I want close to my price range though (11 speed, ideally GRX, hydraulic discs, wheels that I won't need to replace first thing)

What do people think? Worth going for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

This was announced today. Frame is made by Dedacciai in Italy. Haven't seen an English review yet but here is one that can be google translated - https://yanngobert.com/2020/10/triban-grvl900-titane/

I'm in the market for a gravel bike but would still keep at least one if not two road bikes. This would be for an introduction to gravel, and possibly winter/longer distance with a second set of wheels and tires. Spec is in line with what I was looking for, I had a budget of 1500€ in mind for an alu frame. Ideally I'd consider steel as I have enough faster carbon or alu road bikes, and would like a bit of wow factor too. Haven't found anything steel with the spec I want close to my price range though (11 speed, ideally GRX, hydraulic discs, wheels that I won't need to replace first thing)

What do people think? Worth going for?

€2400 is a great price if its correct, assuming you can actually get you hands on one as only 401 will be made. That frame definitely looks as it was designed down to a price, though. No third bottle cage, no eyes for racks or guards, press-fit BB, basic finish.

Welding is quite tidy.

€2400 is a great price if its correct, assuming you can actually get you hands on one as only 401 will be made. That frame definitely looks as it was designed down to a price, though. No third bottle cage, no eyes for racks or guards, press-fit BB, basic finish.

Welding is quite tidy.

I've decided I'm going to try get one of these. No mudguard mounts is a bit annoying but I do have another road bike with full mudguards that I might keep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Planet x have a very good range of titanium gravel bikes:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/gravel-adventure-bikes/tempest

I’d be very tempted in the sram force model.

Full carbon gravel fork, hydraulic disc brakes and through axles give precise all surface control. 50mm tyre, triple bottle cage, mudguard and rack ready. Full sram force group with Fulcrum Racing 900 Disc wheels - £1999. Good exchange rate at the moment too.

• Advertisement

https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/titanium-raleigh-racing-bike/21631127

may not be quite the bike people usually drool over.

Advertisement