Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanium bikes...

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

Have a Reilly Gradient T47 (internal cable model) would also recommend, good crowd to deal with too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

They do look great but really blowing the budget. Enigma is pushing it too. Need to be able to afford a SRAM AXS group also. Could just hang them on the wall I guess!

And you casually throw that out without posting pics? 😔

The Gradient definitely is one of the better value options but it still coming out at just over €3000 with Irish VAT. At €2430 for the Litespeed I'm already stretching vs €1640 for the Lynskey. It's nearly 50% more for a bike while better isn't that much of an upgrade. Though the geometry of the Litespeed will make a better it for the road and I'm slightly more drawn to the brand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just to be clear, on the basis that this is a bit of a forever bike presumably, don't get humg up to much on the price. A lesson i learned the hard way when I cheaped out over colour choice on a bike. Always regretted it as I would have preferred the other colour more. The same for your post just before this, the Lynskey maybe better value but from your words, you are more likely to ride the litespeed and get more joy from it. If you ride it for 10 years, that is less than 80euro a year for a bike you love far more. Over time with inflation, that 80 a year will hold less and less worth but the love of the bike will not diminish.

This is the rationale that should play out in getting a forever type bike in my opinion.

Another point is the replacement parts can be cheaped our on now and upgraded in future, so don't aim for the best wheels or groupset now if the budget is tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

For 800 quid you're overthinking it @Ryath - as you say, it's a lifetime purchase that will pay back with smiles from day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

have you looked at Ribble? I just bought from them and found them good to deal with and decent discounts as well. They've just started cross-border transactions, but it wasn't available when I bought so I got mine delivered to a Northern address.

The bike itself is really well finished and a joy to ride so I'm really pleased with it (It's not a gravel bike, I got the road endurance model)

• Advertisement

I do like the Lynskey also though. In way I prefer the utilitarian rugged looks and it is a more durable bike. Family company also and they did start Litespeed. But as you said it's a once in life time purchase. Only mid 40s so I'd hope I at least have 30 more years cycling! So some of this is future proofing I do think it's worth paying the extra if needs be.

Might be only 800 and over the lifetime of the bike it's not much but I still have to pay it now. That 800 nearly pays for a group set. I'm getting to the point though for another 500 or so I could get the Litespeed flint which does seem a decent upgrade over the Watia. Lot of extras to add thought even the mudguard mounts are an add on. Has SRAM UDH which I really do think is a good option for future proofing.

Anyone any opinions on if it's worth paying for the T47. PF30 shouldn't be an issue with any high-end manufacturer and there is thread together PF30 bottom brackets if I do have issues but I really want the most durable low maintenance option.

Yea had looked at them they had good sales before Christmas that were tempting me but at full RRP I think there are better value options.

Which model did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Not sure if it has been mentioned but have you looked at spa cycles in the UK. It may require a trip over to collect but reasonable value especially if you are looking are more rugged/ audax utility styling. As well as their own branded titanium stuff they have some Sabbath/Sunday cycles bikes in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

I know it has a funny bottom bracket, but this is my dream bike

https://www.vannicholas.com/touring-bikes/yukon-disc

I got the endurance 105Di2. I upgraded the wheels, bars and saddle to save a bit of weight, but its my dream winter bike, that might get used in the summer as well

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Ulick

I have a Van Nicholas Ventus. Brilliant bike and for a shade under €2,800 is worth every cent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DJB030244

Can I ask where you bought it ? I’m looking for a titanium bike either used or new

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Ulick

Rothar in Phibsborough

Finally made up my mind and went for the closeout Litespeed Watia! It had dropped a bit more in price so wasn't much more than the Lynskey. Mistake with their inventory though meant they upgraded me to the Flint for free so has worked out very well. Wasn't much more then to go for the fully integrated Fi model then that gives fully hidden cabling through headset and T47 bottom bracket.

Not sure if I'm right to go for Fi model though, while it looks great I do have concerns about long term availability of parts. Token headset and FSA arc is the cheaper option. They do offer Enve fork and stem with Chris King Headset that I'd have less concern about maintenance on but it's mental money. FSA stem looks better also. The Chris King Headset is made in FSA acr version. Not listed but possibly on its own would be worth the investment if I could get it. The token headset does seem to be used by a lot of manufactures, Look, Scott, Orro and plenty more use it but it's a minefield of spacers and adaptors for different stems that seem very hard get aftermarket. I'd want to really make sure I source spares now while they are available.

Also bit unsure on sizing was set on M in the Watia as it was closer to road bike geometry. Think I might be better with ML and running a shorter stem on the Flint. I'm 174.5 cm 5'8.5" so slap bang in the middle of the two sizes. Still quite flexible.

I was fitted on the RT-57 and is set up pretty aggressively. The synapse I have is a more relaxed set up and probably closer to what I'll be at on the Litespeed. Genesis Flyer I have falls between them size wise and probably closest. I'm comfortable on it and fit but it's a bit too relaxed for what I want. Bars at 42cm are wider than I really want though also though the Litespeed head angles are slacker.

They are holding order so I have a day to make up my mind.

Post edited by Ryath on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A recent addition to the stable - Dolan ADX disc Di2 12 speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

How painful was that with Brexit or did you cycle it home?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I bought it 'nearly new' from a bike shop here. Happened to be in the right place at the right time. (I know the previous owner).

That looks very nice. I looked at those when I was shopping around but then Ribble had big sales on and I couldn't resist

It begins!

Had them hold the order for longer than planned, came very close to going for the Fi version but think I made the right decision. They had the frame ready in just a few days. Very pleased with the Blue Torch fade anodising. Shipping took 6 days. It was in Dublin in 5. Litespeed took care of customs payment so no nasty surprises or courier admin charges!

Have most of a Force 1x AXS Group, shifter, brakes, crank and rear mech, going to buy last few bits now. Need finishing kit and saddle which I've pretty much decided upon. Just need to run over a few more figures to decide on best sites to buy from.

Undecided are wheels, planning on two sets of wheels eventually, pair of alloy Dt Swiss 1600 for gravel and Zipp 303s for road. Budget means I'll probably only get one at the moment though. Can't quite decide, tempted to get the bling carbon first but the sensible option is the alloys.

Whole Zipp hookless debacle has me wondering if they are the best option! Value wise thought they are hard bet €870 online though LBS might be worth the extra with Zipps lifetime warranty if I ever need use it. Swiss Side Hadron2 all roads do seem a very decent option though I really can't find much reviews of them. They do aerodynamics for DT Swiss and the wheels are basically rebranded DT Swiss ERC 1400 for a few 100 less with plainer graphics. They are also offering a free set of alloy wheels that are the equivalent of DT GR1800 also at the moment which makes them even more tempting.

I'd prefer the DT Swiss branded wheels but they have updated a lot of the models in last few months so supply and good deals on them are hard find. GR1600 were available for less then €400 but €570 is as cheap as I can find the wheelset now. I can get then for about €520 if I buy front and rear from two different sites. Depends on the prices of other bits and pieces in need from which site though if it's worth paying shipping to split the orders.

Other undecided option is the BB, save money short term and go with disposable Sram BB or go all out and get the Chris King to match headset! Hope is the in-between option. They really seem to be the only 3 doing Sram Dub BB properly with a standard 30mm internal bearing and plastic shims. There's a lot of figuring out though on sized spacers and kits required though! Lot of sites don't have stock of all the bits required either.

CK Headset wasn't that much dearer of an upgrade over the Cane Creek from Litespeed. I probably should have just got the CK T through Litespeed even with customs it was a little cheaper. I was a bit confused about the options though at the time. They listed a T47 30i on their site and I've figured out now the bike should have a T47 30x for a 68mm shell bb. It was probably actually just a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've never fully cracked the two wheelsets one bike concept, but when I tried it for a few months, what I found helpful was to have as little difference in setup as possible.

For example identical rotors, same cassette and same hub or even similar (e.g. DT Swiss 240/350).

I've tried shifting between brands and I just found those small adjustments to calipers or shifting meant I never ended up swapping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Has anybody heard of Pilot frames? They're made in Holland. Never seen one but I'd love to get another titanium.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'd go for the DT Swiss over the Zipps at the minute. Hearing. most likely BS stories of Zipp looking at glue in inserts to convert their hookless to hooked as they have no maneuvarability at the minute and have went all in on hookless. Not saying hookless are bad but hooked give alot more reassuing options in regards tyres. DT Swiss are easy to get parts for and any decent wheel builder will swap in rims/hubs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

This has probably been asked to death but..

Why titanium?

And does it really have buttery smooth ride quality compared to carbon?

Was considering two sets of DT swiss hubbed wheels to make it easy but after a bit of research the other option is you can get get shims so you can align the rotors of one set to match the other. Ended up going for a pair of Campag Shamals at a bargain price I'm very happy with. Haven't decided on alloy gravel wheels but probably will be DT swiss when I find a good deal. Tyres were a b***h to get on! And I've got Marathon pluses on with my bare hands!

Sure look at it! Durability is main thing that drew me with no paint to chip and mark up. Titanium is especially suitable for a gravel bike because of this I think. Ride quality is meant to be great but some do find them to soft. Probably more of an issue with larger frames/heavier riders.

Took a lot longer than expected to get all the bits with items going in and out of stock and trying to get best prices and bundle to save on shipping. Did pretty well, managed to get full Force Group for less than the Rival AXS Groupset was going for by getting all the components separately. Still waiting on bars and stem which shipped Friday. Hopefully have it on the road for next weekend. Do most of my own maintenance but never a full build before. Went easier than I thought it would. Hydraulics is the big thing I still have to do and have no experience off. Need longer bolts which is why rear caliper isn't mounted.

There will be bit less seat post showing and stem will be nearly slammed. At 7.15kg at the moment. I make handlebars, shifters and chain left to be just under 1kg. Trimming steerer and seatpost should have me under 8kg. I considered a few other lighter bits but even spending €500 more would have only got me 200g off and I was leaning to durability. Forgot to weigh the frame before I started. Meant to be around the 1.5 mark.

I know that's not where the front hydraulic cable goes!

Post edited by Ryath on

Advertisement