Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanium bikes...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Debating building up a Chinese custom ti frame, unsure wether to do a mtb or road bike, Walty is the company im looking at, seems to be a few builds done over on the chinertown forum.

Haven't heard of that forum before. There a number of hours potentially lost for me now to do some reading. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

Debating building up a Chinese custom ti frame, unsure wether to do a mtb or road bike, Walty is the company im looking at, seems to be a few builds done over on the chinertown forum.

cycling maven on youtube had a waltly custom made .

He had to have the disc brake calliper mount faced i think .....

I'll try dig up the video .

Im sure his mates at curve were fairly pissed off he was promoting this....

edit here is the video :https://youtu.be/k5NJKO6tZcU

you can tell i have been salivating over a titanium bike a long time now. Im ready to drop about 10k on one but it has to be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Really surprised that there’s not much mention of Lynskey here...

CRC were closing out on Lynskey 2 years back and I built up a6-4 Ti 460. Absolutely no regrets.

I had some bits left over from previous, so it made it quite easy... Only 1 internal cable on the top tube and the only consideration I’d go back on would be possibly disc brakes.

Such a comfortable bike, particularly on our roads here in Wicklow. Fitted 28s on it but clearance up to 32 I believe.

Might look at putting carbon bars and seatpost on it for even more comfort.

Lynskey have some great sales, so you’d be very surprised at how you can build that bike for life for less-you won’t be disappointed..

CRC were closing out on Lynskey 2 years back and I built up a6-4 Ti 460. Absolutely no regrets.

I had some bits left over from previous, so it made it quite easy... Only 1 internal cable on the top tube and the only consideration I’d go back on would be possibly disc brakes.

Such a comfortable bike, particularly on our roads here in Wicklow. Fitted 28s on it but clearance up to 32 I believe.

Lynskey have some great sales, so you’d be very surprised at how you can build that bike for life for less-you won’t be disappointed..

There she is...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like an unusually shaped top tube? flattened on the underneath rather than on top?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

ckeego wrote: »
    There she is...

enve wheels and all. Naughty naughty boy.

Lovely bike.

looks like an unusually shaped top tube? flattened on the underneath rather than on top?
    Well spotted.. it’s not quite triangular in cross section, but close. Rounded on top.

Another model, their Helix has similar but it’s helically shaped both on top tube and down tube. Apparently increases stiffness as it is their main race frame..

Interestingly, CRC has this on special at the moment..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

only in small, mind - 48cm. i guess that's not a 'standard' 48cm

only in small, mind - 48cm. i guess that's not a 'standard' 48cm

I found the sizing very much on the large size... Big frames...

As an aside, I had problems sourcing a fork for the frame and the lads at FiftyOne bikes could not have been more helpful...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

There she is...

That should be over in the Beauty thread. Cracking machine, and I had never heard of this brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

MojoMaker wrote: »
    That should be over in the Beauty thread. Cracking machine, and I had never heard of this brand.

Started off as Litespeed in the 80s and became Lynskey in '99 when Litespeed was sold off. Both firms still produce ti frames in Tennessee, USA.

Where are these deals pray tell?? Damn you ckeego :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Had this built for winter pleasure. I can not describe how happy I am with it. First Ti bike. It goes beyond my expectations. KinesisUK Tripster ATR v3, GRX Ultegra mix, Hope BB and Hope pro4 hubs and Hope brakeset. 30mm tubeless (to be set). I love this bike!! Mounted a bottle cage tool holder under down tube (because I can). Full length carbon fibre mudguards. Carbon seatpost but swapping for Ti soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

bingobars wrote: »
    Had this built for winter pleasure. I can not describe how happy I am with it. First Ti bike. It goes beyond my expectations. KinesisUK Tripster ATR v3, GRX Ultegra mix, Hope BB and Hope pro4 hubs and Hope brakeset. 30mm tubeless (to be set). I love this bike!! Mounted a bottle cage tool holder under down tube (because I can). Full length carbon fibre mudguards. Carbon seatpost but swapping for Ti soon enough

Beauty that love the red , thought it was a canyon mind . Far nicer though !

Beautiful bike, bingobars

Where are these deals pray tell?? Damn you ckeego :pac:

Nowt on there at the moment, Mojo.

Tread water till Black Friday and there’ll be some serious bargains. Usually 30%plus off..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I've two Lynskey Ti frames from when they let Planet X brand their frames. Have the Pro Road and the Sportive versions. Latter is still used for my winter bike.
    Crazy cheap Lynskey frames at the time.

Nowt on there at the moment, Mojo.

Tread water till Black Friday and there’ll be some serious bargains. Usually 30%plus off..

From the Lynskey website or through another channel?

From the Lynskey website or through another channel?
    Through Lynskey themselves, Mojo.

I registered with them when I started thinking of the build and they are quite regular in sending out emails notifications of sales/offers.

What I’ll do is post whatever codes here that I get.

• Advertisement

As well as the brands mentioned here in the thread,the other Ti bikes that I looked into in some detail before the build was Reilly..

Not as expensive as say Moots (which are really really nice frames having seen them up close) but beautiful workmanship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

As well as the brands mentioned here in the thread,the other Ti bikes that I looked into in some detail before the build was Reilly..

Not as expensive as say Moots (which are really really nice frames having seen them up close) but beautiful workmanship.

Mark Reilly was originally the Ti frame builder /designer / owner for Omega about 12-15 years ago before it went wallop, with a lot of unhappy punters. He then moved to Enigma until around 2015 before going back out with his own company. He does some very tidy work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

This was announced today. Frame is made by Dedacciai in Italy. Haven't seen an English review yet but here is one that can be google translated - https://yanngobert.com/2020/10/triban-grvl900-titane/

I'm in the market for a gravel bike but would still keep at least one if not two road bikes. This would be for an introduction to gravel, and possibly winter/longer distance with a second set of wheels and tires. Spec is in line with what I was looking for, I had a budget of 1500€ in mind for an alu frame. Ideally I'd consider steel as I have enough faster carbon or alu road bikes, and would like a bit of wow factor too. Haven't found anything steel with the spec I want close to my price range though (11 speed, ideally GRX, hydraulic discs, wheels that I won't need to replace first thing)

What do people think? Worth going for?
    I've got one of these on the way to me (well on the way - arriving in March). The 401 sold out in half an hour or so although were popping up here and there for the next day or two so there must have been some stock issue with adding to baskets etc.

I was in the market for a gravel and wasn't finding anything second hand. I wanted hydraulic brakes and 11-speed which was difficult to find under 1500€ and even coming closer to 2000€ for brands like Canyon with an alu frame. I will use it purely as a gravel and slow summer tourer so decided that I could live with the lack of mudguard mounts. Press fit BB which isn't ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fugs!!

Mudguards fitted. Hoping to do my first 200km spin during christmas if the 5km limit is gone.

As mentioned, Lynskey discount for Black Friday.

20% off all over $100

HOLIDAYRIDE20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

Hope it's okay for me to revive this thread. Giving serious consideration to a Titanium Gravel Bike. Trying to keep total budget to €3k but know it will probably be a bit more.

Lysnsky GR300, they have an extra 20% off, with free upgrade to brushed Finish and Titanium Head badge. Annoyed I missed BF deal when it was 30% and free etched Logo also. Etched Logos ad about 200 it's pricey but think I would regret not speccing them. Would work out at about €1440 delivered with tax or €1860 with their fork. Thinking I might be better getting a Ritchey Fork in Europe for €500.

I can get Apex AXS for €920 Rival for a bit over 1000, wheels ~300 tyres bars finishing kit etc I'm at around €3400 to 3500

They do have a good discount on Lightspeed Watia @ €1600 taxed plus delivery for the frame but it comes with a PF30 bottom bracket and it's pricey enough to upgrade it to a T47 BB at close to €2k. SRAM DUB crank set and Pressfit really don't seem a good idea. By all accounts it's a better bike than the Lynskey GR300, butted tubes, considerably lighter and better finished. Whether it's enough to justify paying that I can't decide. Maybe I should just live with the Press fit thought I know it will mean more maintenance and trouble in the long run. I could not use Sram cranks and run 24mm axel cranks but with 12 speed options are limited and to be honest would nearly cost as much as up grading the BB to T47.

If I did go with the Lightspeed I have a hard time not adding the anodised logo's despite the cost, they do look class. Decals are a lot cheaper and replaceable though. I've a friend with an early 2000's Lightspeed who replaced the decals recently and to be honest if you knew nothing about them you'd have no idea it's over 20 years old.

This Planet X Tempest is a steal at about €2000 Mechanical Rival, could sell that and upgrade for Rival AXS for around 500 more I reckon. It's big saving over the Lynskey and they have switched to using a SRAM Universal Derailleur Hanger which is a big plus for longevity I reckon. I would like something more premium though. I have two PX and they are great bikes but would like a more recognised bling brand this time. When I started looking again at getting a new disc braked bike the Look 765 was pretty much the short list so that was the sort of level I was hoping for.

The Tempest is nearly cheap enough that I could save it for the rough stuff and still get a nice carbon bike a bit down the line for the road. Probably not the Look now but maybe a Canondale or Giant. I have the bike to work to use again so can spread the cost on that one. If I buy the Lynskey I certainly won't be buying a second bike anytime soon and it really will have to be the jack of all trades but I do think they look lovely and also do serve as a bit of a show pony.

Original intention was a budget aluminium gravel bike and upgrade group. Really want to build this with Sram AXS, Could have got a Cannondale topstone and group would have been around €2k but was thinking if I'm going to spend that sort of money I should get something a bit better and would work as more of an all rounder. Other budget option @€1720 is the Gryzl AL 6 Apex mechanical 12 speed. Would cost about 700 to upgrade to wireless and again can sell the mechanical bits to offset this. Grizl CF SL 6 AXS €2670 is not much more than doing that though and would make a much better bike for the road. I'm unsure of Carbon though if I'm really going to use this properly of road and bikepack the frame is going to get scratched to bits of in time.

If I did go for Carbon fibre it's very hard to look past the new Grail €3570 could save €300 for the Gryzl in same spec but the Grail is the better all rounder. The Canyons are also tempting as I can have one in a week or two all the Titanium's have lead time of several weeks.

Been scouring all the other options, at the prices I'm finding though I'd just go for the Lightspeed.

This looks good for €2500 Falkenjagd Aristos GT Gravel, German brand and made in Germany, hard to find english reviews though.

https://www.bike24.com/p2784256.html?sku=2687791

Van Nichols Rowtag €2400 press fit bracket though.

Enigma too pricey, some of the Spa cycles options are good but are all well over 2k

J Guillem look really good but it's €3k for their gravel ATALAYA frameset. Major is better value at €2328 but tyre clearance is just 35mm. Would make a great endurance/ dry weather gravel bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Looks like you have already done a bit of research. Especially for Ti bikes, I imagine there would be a huge market for something with threaded BB, full mudguard mounts and fitting 35mm road tires with mudguards.

For example Decathlon do a full gravel build (launch price was 2400€ but I imagine that has crept up) but doesn't have any of the above. The frame is actually made in Italy by Dedacciai too.

Think there are some other mainly UK brands that have Ti models but not sure if they will be any cheaper unless you find discounts, and Brexit has messed up a lot of these cheap UK framesets. But maybe take a look at Dolan, Genesis Croix de Fer Ti, Reilly, Kinesis, Ribble?

I see your point on the Planet X. Lynskey looks like great value in the US but when you add shipping and taxes, less so for us.

For a budget build, take a look at my Winspace G2 thread. Still remains three boxes in my hall, but full cost was 2089€ for a decent (albeit Chinese import) frame, Scribe alu wheelset and SRAM Rival wireless groupset.

For Ti - I'd suggest to shop around and find any deals on in stock bikes which might make the cost more manageable. For example I saw a J Guillem Major with 105 R7000 and DT Swiss alu wheelset before Christmas for 2299 from a usually very expensive small bike shop (not in Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

I have been doing nothing but research and my head is spinning with the titanium options and bottom bracket standards!🤪

I've checked all brands you've mentioned, all bar Reilly are Asian made like the PX Tempest and can't find anything to match them on price. The Reilly looks really good, site says nothing though about UK or Irish Vat or taking it off for export. ~€2500 which isn't bad if I could avoid not getting double taxed.

Triban was good value at €2400 but has gone up to €3100 and only have a small in stock now.

There's a very nice Van Nichols on adverts built up with GRX and Hope bits that I think is well priced. Interested but I'm very tempted by the shiny new bike option that I get to pick all the bit's on myself.

Leaning to the Lynskey G300 or the Litespeed Waita. Would prefer the Waita it is the better bike and geometry is closer to racier endurance bike which I would prefer. It's a nice jump in price though more if I include forks from both. Difference is a bit less if I leave off the forks as there is 20% extra off the Lynskey fork.

I did email both, Lynskey wouldn't offer any extra discount or upgrades but Litespeed said they would include etched logos which closes the gap a little. And they'd upgrade to a T47 BB shell for $150 instead of $250. That's still €170 with tax though which pays for a few BB or one higher end BB I can replace bearings on. PF30 isn't as bad as BB86 running 30mm cranks and the Litespeed BB shell is going to be properly aligned and faced. Is the T47 going to be worth it long term though? It adds weight and the bottom brackets are dearer. Think I'm going to leave it out and see if they'd maybe throw in the headset instead.

At the moment I'm thinking sensible option is the Lynskey GR300 with adventure fork would be ~ €1640 delivered+ tax which is pretty decent value. Add 220 for Etched logos which brings it a little too close to the Litespeed I think.

The Litespeed fork adds too much with tax, it would nearly pay for an Enve gravel fork or there's cheaper options I can buy in Europe. Waita frameset, free etching, PF30 plus top mounts would cost €1930 adding their fork €2430.

I do want the Litespeed but can I really justify an extra €790 on a slightly prettier, lighter bike! That does shrink to €570 if I spec the Etched graphics on the Lynskey! That pays for a decent wheelset and an lot of finishing kit though.

It's pretty much a case of head vs heart. This is a once off life time purchase though and I'm kind of justifying to myself to buy once, cry once. I do have a bit of spare cash with bonuses and other bits so I'm not quite over stretching either way. I'm also using it as a carrot to get back cycling more regularly.

Sorry for vomiting my thoughts out, this wasn't meant to be as long! It keeps it clearer though I really should do an excel sheet or a pro and con table. Have done a lot of reading posts and reviews, so hard to make up my mind. Most do say the Litespeed is better but not by that much. RRP is close but Lynskey's do much bigger discounts. They both are equally well made, butted tubes and lighter is main gain on the Waita.

Aluminium headset insert is main criticism of the GR300 I see, but it does have a BSA bb shell. Few say the 300 geometry is too relaxed then other say the Litespeed is too aggressive! Really depends what you want and use it for and set up can change a lot and vary a bit on size. Even found one guy who said he owned both and he found very little difference, both were great!

I have a Genisis flyer that is same geometry and my PX is an excellent fit for me with a 100mm stem.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭cyfac

Hi there

I have the reilly gradient and the only thing more impressive than the build quality which is out of this world is the actual spin off the bike weapon fast super responsive as an all round bike I don't think anything can touch it its just incredible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Londonirish72

Perhaps this is out of your budget but I have a J Laverack (older rim brake road bike) and I love it.

Ignore the Aston Martin collaborations!

https://www.jlaverack.co.uk/titanium-bike-range/

Another UK brand worth considering is Enigma.

Advertisement