Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meta Quest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Anyone else find the Oculus android app stupidly slow??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

mrcheez wrote: »
    What latency are you getting with that setup though?

I'm getting 26ms on my setup, but when I went through the powerline adaptors it was up around 80ms or so.

Guy Godin recommends a direct ethernet connection between PC and router, and not to use a hotspot on the PC.

Right now it looks as good (better?) as connecting directly to the PC via Link, but when I had it through powerline adaptors it was pretty blurry and jumpy.

I just run a 10m Cat7 cable from my router to the PC upstairs.

I was trying to minimise the latency between the Quest and the laptop through the use of the hotspot, rather than worrying about latency between the laptop and the router, the powerline latency is mid 20's but still better than WIFI to the router.
    Having the Quest as the only client (possibly the main factor, no contention) on a dedicated 5Ghz hotspot running on the laptop is really smooth on Virtual Desktop, HL:A runs nicely, just as well as using the Link but without the cable to send stuff flying when I get excitable and forget my distances/rotations!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Wiggedmite wrote: »
    That sucks. They lost track of mine for about 2 days (delivered on 13th, but no confirmation of receipt) but eventually they located it and arrived Sat. If you have a LE... tracking number An Post might be able to assist. They won't help with AddressPal directly, but if the item has entered their network, they have to assist.

Good luck!

Cheers - After the call yesterday to AddressPal, It was brought to my door today (but after an all nighter of work last night) I was getting a kip and missed it :(

Tomorrows another day!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

druss wrote: »
    PC is 2015 vintage. It wasn't bad for it'd time, but creaking a bit now.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (4GB). Intel i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz. 16 GB RAM.

Apparently CPU is borderline and GPU is 4GB short!

I've read bad experiences using an under powered PC for VR. Seemingly makes you more likely to be nauseated. I'm holding back upgrading the quest as I'm hoping to build a new PC that can let me play PC VR games. I think that is a better use of my funds in my current situation.
    I am curious to see if more games start to be released that are only compatible with the quest 2, then I might need to look at the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I've read bad experiences using an under powered PC for VR. Seemingly makes you more likely to be nauseated. I'm holding back upgrading the quest as I'm hoping to build a new PC that can let me play PC VR games. I think that is a better use of my funds in my current situation.
    I am curious to see if more games start to be released that are only compatible with the quest 2, then I might need to look at the upgrade.

Skyrim is actually working for me now. In your face "System Requirements Lab"!

As with my experience with Virtual Desktop, I think I needed to turn PC and headset off and on again. This time to accommodate the SteamVR install.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

There's a reason why I said I wouldn't trust Address Pal with something that expensive lads! ;)
    But I'm glad you got them in the end!

Let's talk halo straps for the Quest 2.

I found a cheap halo strap for the quest 2 for only £25 that you can buy now from china:
    £25.46 | GOMRVR Adjustable halo Strap for Oculus Quest 2 VR,Increase Supporting forcesupport and improve comfort-Virtual Reality Access
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtpMYe1

No reviews of it yet since it's only out, but the Quest 1 version has a rating of 4.8 out of 5!

Then theres GoQuestVR who should have their own design out I. Week or so.

https://www.goquestvr.com/index.php/product/halo-strap/

Cas and Charry reviews the Oculus Quest 1 version and it looks pretty premium:

Decisions, decisions. Might be worth holding out for quest VRs version and for them to release a case to fit the halo band.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Just got this today and the strap is horrendous for my silly big head. I’ll have to bite and buy the pro strap. I’m a mean bastard so that doesn’t sit well after paying for headset and over 100 Euro in games already. Enjoying it though and it may become a priceless bit of tech in a depressing winter ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Got Virtual desktop and patched it via Sidequest. Couldn't have been easier really. I did notice the resolution did drop down when running Steam VR wirelessly but was REALLY responsive. Was getting about 20-24ms latency according to the streaming app on my desktop.

My setup is PC wired into the Sky Q minibox which is 5Ghz connected to the Q mesh/router. Virtual desktop was saying this was occasionally changing over to 2.4GHz connection and the quality might degrade. Was this the headset it was referring to or the PC. I suspect the headset to wifi connection. If so, is there any way to force the Quest to stick to 5GHz, other than splitting SSIDs on my wifi at home.

So I went ahead and ordered the cheaper Halo Strap from AliExpress. Not really looking forward to a month of discomfort before it turns up!

I also ordered this Rift S carry case, which will fit a quest 2 with halo strap perfectly since the Rift S has a halo strap also.
    Hopefully the controllers will fit in there also.

30%OFF | External Storage Case for Oculus Rift S PC-Powered VR Gaming Headset Protector Bag Pack Case
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMClxlF

Both came to about the price of an elite strap.

Next to figure out a way of attaching a power bank!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I am still waiting on my elite strap with built in battery. I think the shipping was supposed to be early November. So I won't have to suffer long.

Next waiting for the vr cover, got used to it using the Quest 1, but I have heard some issues with from the early adopters, so I may wait on that one for a little while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I must be the only one that finds the cloth strap ok :D

Still waiting on the Elite with battery though, but I seem to be ok for now.

Much better than my Quest 1 strap even with all the comfort additions added to it! That just dug into the back of my skull causing migranes.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,152 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Much better than my Quest 1 strap even with all the comfort additions added to it! That just dug into the back of my skull causing migranes.

I actually find it fine too, I could play for hours and barely notice it's there. I still told herself to get me the elite battery strap and carry case for my birthday next month though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I don't have anything to compare it to, but it seems perfectly functional to me. Not an immediate priority as an upgrade anyway, so I may just keep an eye on how Doge gets on with his order for China.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭bullpost

Yeah I found that after some adjustments the standard strap is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

A friend of mine recommended this to work with the stock strap. Will print one off over the weekend and see how it fits.

I've dropped some hints on the premium battery strap for Xmas, so this might work for me until then :D

A friend of mine recommended this to work with the stock strap. Will print one off over the weekend and see how it fits.

I've dropped some hints on the premium battery strap for Xmas, so this might work for me until then :D

Thanks for sharing.
    I'm going to give it a go on my Ender 3 to tie me over til the halo strap arrives.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Anyone go from an original Rift, to a Quest 2? Just wondering if it's worth the upgrade. I hated the resolution on the Rift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Anyone go from an original Rift, to a Quest 2? Just wondering if it's worth the upgrade. I hated the resolution on the Rift.

I went rift to Quest and it was an improvement, so I can only imagine Rift -> Quest 2 would be even more significant based on what everyone else is saying!

Yeah it's a vast improvement. I think the SDE alone would stop me enjoying my Rift again... might load it up for nostalgia sometime though!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Sound, ordered one anyway.

• Advertisement

I did the same and its a huge difference. PCVR games really outshine the Quest standalone games.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

Hi all,
    So I set up virtual desktop and it's working. However, it is very Laggy.

I have an EIR router, do I need to change any setting on this? Or any other tips?

Thanks

maxresdefault.jpg

530123.jpg

530124.jpg

Printed it using standard PLA with a resolution of 0.20mm to speed things up so the whole estate wouldn't be kept awake. ;)

The creator used "polyflex pla" which is a bit more robust.

Not the smoothest print but does the job.

I can definitely feel an instant difference in weight displacement, but my Quests battery is dead at the moment so time will tell how comfortable it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Irishder wrote: »
    Hi all,
    So I set up virtual desktop and it's working. However, it is very Laggy.

I have an EIR router, do I need to change any setting on this? Or any other tips?

Thanks

Do you have it on your 5GHz network? If not you really should. Also placement of router / signal strength is huge.

I added 2 5GHz access points to my house, made a world of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

VD recommends you have you PC hardwired to the router and have the headset on a 5GHz wifi connection. Some routers, like Sky's will have the same SSID for 2..4 GHz and 5GGHz so you might need to search how to split the SSID and connect the headset to the 5GHz network. I'm contemplating doing this with mine. I'll see if it's needed going forward.

Router/wifi access point location is KEY to ensuring you have an optimal wifi signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Thargor wrote: »

Been a few instances of that happening, can see a recall happening soon.

I'm running the stock headstrap and find it grand, the device itself isnt as front heavy as the rift or first quest and I can go a few hours with it on before it getting uncomfortable.

I wear glasses also!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Wiggedmite

Been a few instances of that happening, can see a recall happening soon.

I'm running the stock headstrap and find it grand, the device itself isnt as front heavy as the rift or first quest and I can go a few hours with it on before it getting uncomfortable.

I wear glasses also!

I have the Elite Strap and seems sturdy enough to me. Standard strap is not bad, but a nightmare switching between users with different sized heads.

Once the Elite Strap is moderately tightened, adjusting the top strap removes the weight on the cheeks and feels great.

I would suspect that this issue could be caused through over tightening of the wheel to keep headset glued to the face and the top strap is being forgotten about.

Nevertheless, I'm keeping my receipt!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭Glebee

With the Quest can you play co op with some one else who also has quest and is there chat? Sorry about silly question, new to this VR stuff.

• Advertisement

Glebee wrote: »
    With the Quest can you play co op with some one else who also has quest and is there chat? Sorry about silly question, new to this VR stuff.

Yeah you connect to them via Facebook afaik. I don't do the multiplayer stuff so can't be sure, but the whole social thing is why Facebook got involved in Oculus.

Advertisement