Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meta Quest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Wiggedmite wrote: »
    You haven't received notication from AddressPal? Give them a call and get them to contact the warehouse. Mine was MIA for 2 days before being located and put on a plane. Its in the Sorting Depot now and probably gonna sit there all weekend...

Hi,

I see mine is stuck in London Heathrow since the 14th :mad::mad:

I have sent AddressPal a snotty email.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,644 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

wes wrote: »
    Anyone get €8 credit on there Oculus account???

Just got it earlier, nice little bonus :D.

nah it's completely random apparently... no way of guaranteeing one gets this when I asked Oculus support about it

Doge wrote: »
    Nothing here yet!

After a full day dedicated to the quest 2 I'm absolutely loving it.

Played a bit if half life alyx with Oculus link and didn't notice any decline in quality.

Tis a beast of a vr headset for the price!

check out the detail on the back of Alyx's hands... all the little transistors appear really clear now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge

mrcheez wrote: »
    check out the detail on the back of Alyx's hands... all the little transistors appear really clear now

Yup! Was one of the first things I noticed!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge

Has anybody played dash dash world yet?

It's like a mario kart game for VR thats getting rave reviews and only game out recently.

Would love to get a few people on here playing multiplayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭bullpost

Tried a couple of games last night for first time - Affected - The Manor and Space Pirate trainer.
    Wow.

As a first time VR user the experience was stunning. I screamed out loud at one stage when playing The Manor. The immersive aspect of these games is so good. Also played Journey of the Gods .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anyone thinking 64GB is too small yet?

bullpost wrote: »
    Tried a couple of games last night for first time - Affected - The Manor and Space Pirate trainer.
    Wow.

As a first time VR user the experience was stunning. I screamed out loud at one stage when playing The Manor. The immersive aspect of these games is so good. Also played Journey of the Gods .

I recommend Dreadhalls ... truly the best game for Halloween

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2128482130504783/

only €9.99 too

Thargor wrote: »
    Anyone thinking 64GB is too small yet?

The system storage is actually more than the 10GB I thought it would be!

It seems to be around 15Gb .. so I think a 64GB would have 49GB storage? Maybe someone who has 64GB can verify?

So far with just my sideloaded content, one demo video and a single app (Virtual Desktop), plus whatever demos came with the headset I'm using approx 30GB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Mine has arrived! I caught the delivery guy rotten, dropping in his "sorry you were not at home" message while I stared at him from the window.

Had to redownload Oculus app, as it didn't initially present me with a "search for Quest 2" option, but now all seems good and software is downloading away.

I had thought that Oculus store would always have at least some items on sale. I picked up Path of the Warrior and Guns n'Stories at different points in last few weeks. I also thought they would launch Quest 2 with a bit of a welcome sale. Seems I was wrong on that front!

On the other hand, as a complete newbie to VR, even the initial teaser welcome and a brief stroll round Kenya are very impressive stuff! It's way past where I thought the tech was.

• Advertisement

I'd say there will be a Black Friday sale!

I'd say there will be a Black Friday sale!

Should probably hold off on purchases so. I did by Virtual Desktop just now, but that just seems like common sense.

Suppose there should be a Steam sale incoming as well.

druss wrote: »
    Should probably hold off on purchases so. I did by Virtual Desktop just now, but that just seems like common sense.

Suppose there should be a Steam sale incoming as well.

Cool, have my eye on Saints and Sinners as my next purchase but waiting for a price drop

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,171 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I paid full whack for beat saber and trover Saves the Universe over the weekend :-/

it was either that or not really have anything to play on it though. In fairness Beat Saber seems addictive enough that I will likely get my money's worth out of it, not gone near Trover yet but I love Rick and Morty so I should enjoy it.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I paid full whack for beat saber and trover Saves the Universe over the weekend :-/

it was either that or not really have anything to play on it though. In fairness Beat Saber seems addictive enough that I will likely get my money's worth out of it, not gone near Trover yet but I love Rick and Morty so I should enjoy it.

Trover is hilarious, loved it

Oh well gyms closing for 6 weeks...time to get back and sweaty in VR again :D

I've kept my Quest 1 for this very purpose. Gonna start a regime of Thrill of the Fight sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Bought Superhot and Cubism the other day. Love how relaxing Cubism if you're into your spatial/logic puzzles it's really good. Not dipped into Superhot yet but I would imagine I'll love it.

I was initially kind of struggling to wrap my head around what games work with the Quest 2 and which ones don't. Largely because I saw a lot of the games on the desktop Oculus store that weren't on my headset when searching on my headset store. I then realised that they're two different stores and that the quest can pretty much play any rift game but would need to be installed to the desktop and played via Oculus link.
    That correct?
    What are the things I need to look out for in the desktop store to avoid purchasing the wrong games?

Bought Superhot and Cubism the other day. Love how relaxing Cubism if you're into your spatial/logic puzzles it's really good. Not dipped into Superhot yet but I would imagine I'll love it.

I was initially kind of struggling to wrap my head around what games work with the Quest 2 and which ones don't. Largely because I saw a lot of the games on the desktop Oculus store that weren't on my headset when searching on my headset store. I then realised that they're two different stores and that the quest can pretty much play any rift game but would need to be installed to the desktop and played via Oculus link.
    That correct?
    What are the things I need to look out for in the desktop store to avoid purchasing the wrong games?

You mean the Rift vs Quest store?

You can play any Rift game on the Quest once you're connected to the computer running the Rift game.

The Quest store has games that can be played on the headset without requiring a PC connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Yeah. It was all really confusing me at first.

I could see quest games in the headset store no problem. Could also see an online web browser store showing quest games as well as rift games but had different sections for each.
    The desktop Oculus app wasn't discerning between the rift and the quest (but you could see in the game information if it was compatible with the quest/rift/rift s/touch).

I started worrying was there a realistic chance I'll buy a game that doesn't work on the quest but then I realised that the quest can only play rift games when using the cable link which kinda makes sense now.

Don't get me started on cross buy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭bullpost

You mean the Rift vs Quest store?

You can play any Rift game on the Quest once you're connected to the computer running the Rift game.

The Quest store has games that can be played on the headset without requiring a PC connection.

I'm a newbie to all this and am a bit confused by games that need to be played on a PC. Will any fast PC work or do I need a gaming PC for this? I'm guessing with decent GPU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Still no sign of mine - AddressPal dropped the ball on this one - In Heathrow since 14th. Maile them yesterday and had to send a ton of tarcking data over and over - no reply as of now.

I realised that the quest can only play rift games when using the cable link which kinda makes sense now.

to confuse you even more, you can actually avoid having to buy a cable and connect to the PC wirelessly using an app called Virtual Desktop (€20).

This is the best way to be honest, as long as you have a good 5GHz (or higher) router.

Connection is: PC -> {Cat 7 network cable} -> 5Ghz Router

Then run a streamer app on your PC: https://www.vrdesktop.net/

Then ensure your Quest 2 is connected to the 5Ghz wifi band and start the Virtual Desktop app: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2017050365004772/

bullpost wrote: »
    I'm a newbie to all this and am a bit confused by games that need to be played on a PC. Will any fast PC work or do I need a gaming PC for this? I'm guessing with decent GPU?

Yeah you need a VR-capable gaming PC to run PCVR games on the Quest.

to confuse you even more, you can actually avoid having to buy a cable and connect to the PC wirelessly using an app called Virtual Desktop (€20).

This is the best way to be honest, as long as you have a good 5GHz (or higher) router.

Connection is: PC -> {Cat 7 network cable} -> 5Ghz Router

Then run a streamer app on your PC: https://www.vrdesktop.net/

Then ensure your Quest 2 is connected to the 5Ghz wifi band and start the Virtual Desktop app: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2017050365004772/

Yeah you need a VR-capable gaming PC to run PCVR games on the Quest.

I was pulling out hairs trying to get Virtual Destop running yesterday. Q2 could see the PC but not connect to it. I'd installed the usb drivers, loaded SideQuest etc etc.

Turned out I needed to restart PC first.Doh!

My PC is VR capable, but there is capable and actually capable. Mine ran the Sega classic games via Steam no problem, but my €9 punt on Skyrim VR will be unutilized for now. PC is under on graphic card spec and doesn't load.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

druss wrote: »
    I was pulling out hairs trying to get Virtual Destop running yesterday. Q2 could see the PC but not connect to it. I'd installed the usb drivers, loaded SideQuest etc etc.

Turned out I needed to restart PC first.Doh!

My PC is VR capable, but there is capable and actually capable. Mine ran the Sega classic games via Steam no problem, but my €9 punt on Skyrim VR will be unutilized for now. PC is under on graphic card spec and doesn't load.

What GPU have you? Skyrim can be a bit of a special case as it wasn't exactly designed from the ground up for VR, so you may have more luck with other options!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,171 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Would virtual desktop be any good with powerline adapters and a regular Vodafone router (which does have a 5Ghz band)?

Shlippery wrote: »
    What GPU have you? Skyrim can be a bit of a special case as it wasn't exactly designed from the ground up for VR, so you may have more luck with other options!

PC is 2015 vintage. It wasn't bad for it'd time, but creaking a bit now.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (4GB). Intel i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz. 16 GB RAM.

Apparently CPU is borderline and GPU is 4GB short!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I used the powerline adaptor to get connectivity between my router and laptop, with an ethernet cable from the powerline adaptor to the laptop, then setup a 5Ghz hotspot from the laptop to my Quest, works great and the Quest is the only client on the 5Ghz hotspot.
    This minimises latency on the critical link between laptop and Quest by keeping it to only one hop

fenris wrote: »
    I used the powerline adaptor to get connectivity between my router and laptop, with an ethernet cable from the powerline adaptor to the laptop, then setup a 5Ghz hotspot from the laptop to my Quest, works great and the Quest is the only client on the 5Ghz hotspot.
    This minimises latency on the critical link between laptop and Quest by keeping it to only one hop

What latency are you getting with that setup though?

I'm getting 26ms on my setup, but when I went through the powerline adaptors it was up around 80ms or so.

Guy Godin recommends a direct ethernet connection between PC and router, and not to use a hotspot on the PC.

Right now it looks as good (better?) as connecting directly to the PC via Link, but when I had it through powerline adaptors it was pretty blurry and jumpy.

I just run a 10m Cat7 cable from my router to the PC upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Wiggedmite

sticker wrote: »
    Still no sign of mine - AddressPal dropped the ball on this one - In Heathrow since 14th. Maile them yesterday and had to send a ton of tarcking data over and over - no reply as of now.

That sucks. They lost track of mine for about 2 days (delivered on 13th, but no confirmation of receipt) but eventually they located it and arrived Sat. If you have a LE... tracking number An Post might be able to assist. They won't help with AddressPal directly, but if the item has entered their network, they have to assist.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Wiggedmite

For anyone interested, it seems that Argos have the Elite Strap (without battery) in stock. Might be worth grabbing before lockdown!

Advertisement