Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭LS3

lawDani wrote: »
    so i just learned OPW does not supply EU Leg.. any suggestions welcomed x

I got mine off Amazon. I still have mine tabbed and highlighted if you want to send me PM

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Al1501

Are the mock exams appearing in anybody's BetterExaminations portal yet? I've just checked mine and there's no exam scheduled.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭LS3

Al1501 wrote: »
    Are the mock exams appearing in anybody's BetterExaminations portal yet? I've just checked mine and there's no exam scheduled.

I dont have any either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dliodoir2021

lawDani wrote: »
    so i just learned OPW does not supply EU Leg.. any suggestions welcomed x

Easons

Easons

Or local bookstores can order them for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

Hiya1234 wrote: »
    I am leaving out equality, freedom of association/assembly, constitutional interpretation, principles of litigation (except i am doing locus standi), general principles of constitutional rights (except i am doing proportionality), bits of trial in due course of law (doing the most popular ones)

and then doing everything else

I think equality is worth covering if you can. Didn't come up last round but has appeared 3 times in the last 4 sittings. Constitutional Interpretation hasn't been up in the last two sittings and has only gone 3 sittings without an appearance once so could be due a run. Freedom of Expression comes up almost every year and didn't appear last sitting.

Locus Standi/Fair Procedures/Natural Justice given the big Damache case this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

Hey there, could anyone suggest where I can get legislation for Contract and Property... I imagine the OPW but just checking if anyone knows whether you can get a book somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Al1501

Copying and pasting this for anybody who's looking to get their legislation:

The Sales of Goods Act 1893 and the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 (for contract), The Succession Act 1965 and the Land and Conveyancing Law Reform Act 2009 (for property) and copies of the Constitution are available from the Government Publications Office. They're currently running a skeleton staff in the call centre due to Covid, but you can email them at publications@opw.ie . I think the acts are around €5 each.

I think the Companies Act 2014, Companies (Accounting) Act 2017, Companies (Amendment) Act 2017 and the Companies (Statutory Audits) Act 2018 are available as well.

If not, you're also allowed take in Bloomsbury Professional’s Companies Act 2014. Make sure you get the paperback, not the Ebook if ordering off the website. It's €105 including postage, but the discount code STUDENT knocks about 20% off the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Hiya1234

Jeremiah25 wrote: »
    I think equality is worth covering if you can. Didn't come up last round but has appeared 3 times in the last 4 sittings. Constitutional Interpretation hasn't been up in the last two sittings and has only gone 3 sittings without an appearance once so could be due a run. Freedom of Expression comes up almost every year and didn't appear last sitting.

Locus Standi/Fair Procedures/Natural Justice given the big Damache case this year.

Equality came up in March 2020 according to city colleges manual - question 3. I think liberty is more likely due to the many 2019 and one or two 2020 cases and since it hasnt come up in a while.

And I am banking on AG/President instead of constitutional interpretation.

Doing freedom of expression, LS, FP etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Hiya1234

Jeremiah25 wrote: »

I do have notes done for equality - and had tried to study it yesterday but i just couldnt understand it fully. Like maybe its my notes but I felt that I would't be able to answer the questions on it when I looked at the past exam papers - specifically that new question that was asked about how courts are taking a more strict approach to the equality guarantee. My cases didn't seem to show/prove that the courts were if that makes sense.

Maybe I am missing notes or something! Any insight would be appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Bf22

Does anyone have a criminal law exam grid? Can swap for contract or tort.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭phildub

Bf22 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a criminal law exam grid? Can swap for contract or tort.

Pm me your email

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fitz_95

Hi guys, don't know if someone has already posted it here but according to the BetterExaminations website the test exam notes it'll be open for 24 hours! So it looks like we can take the trial run any time within the day, this might suit people better like myself that are working all day tomorrow

"This exam will be open for 1 day from 10:00am on October 22nd 2020 until 2:00pm on October 23rd 2020."

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SKLaw

Fitz_95 wrote: »
    Hi guys, don't know if someone has already posted it here but according to the BetterExaminations website the test exam notes it'll be open for 24 hours! So it looks like we can take the trial run any time within the day, this might suit people better like myself that are working all day tomorrow

"This exam will be open for 1 day from 10:00am on October 22nd 2020 until 2:00pm on October 23rd 2020."

The email sent by the LS says it starts at 10 am on 22 October and 2pm on 23 October though so I wonder if it will be open to do it outside those times.

Email below:

Dear Candidate,

The practice/mock examination will be available between 10.00am on Thursday 22 October and 2pm on Friday 23 October. You can log on to the practice examination at any time during this period but we would advise you to log on during office hours when our help lines are available, if at all possible.

The purpose of this practice session is to:
    · Allow you to install the necessary software;
    · Test your hardware and internet connection;
    · Familiarise yourself with the Better Examination tools available;
    · Allow us to deal with any queries or any issues you may have in advance of the November examinations.

Please note this is a practice session provided for you, so please take your time when logging on, installing software and testing the system so that you are happy using the system in advance of the exams in November.

Please log on to https://lawsocietyie.betterexaminations.com/
    Please use the username and password that you have already setup.

If you have not already setup an account, please check your email for the account setup email sent to you from Better Examinations.

Please use the same laptop/device you intend to use for your examinations in November and sit the examination in the same location. Make sure that you have sufficient lighting as this is necessary for the webcam to work properly.

Please see attached: FE1 GUIDE TO NOVEMBER ONLINE EXAMINATIONS
    This document contains a step by step guide to your mock examination and includes information about how to navigate the exam platform and the tools available to you during the examination. As it is not possible to print the examination questions, you may find the Highlighter tool useful. The Notepad and Sticky Notes tools can be helpful for rough work and planning your answers.

HELP LINES
    We have set up helplines which will operate between 10.00am and 5.00pm on Thursday and Friday to deal with any queries you may have. If we cannot resolve your query immediately, we will take a note of your issue and return your call as quickly as possible. If you need help, please contact one of the following:

Shirely Foley - 01 881 5745
    Danielle Green - 01 881 5730
    Carmel Kearney - 01 672 4934
    Fiona O’Flaherty - 01 881 5701

Kind regards

FE1 SECTION

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭WesternC123

I wonder does their comment about using the sticky note and highlighter tool mean that we aren't allowed have a pen and paper for rough work?

I wonder does their comment about using the sticky note and highlighter tool mean that we aren't allowed have a pen and paper for rough work?

I took it as that. There's also a "notes" section that they mentioned for rough work..and a reminder that anything in those notes which aren't in the answer section will not be included

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Fe123

The email says it’s not possible to print the exam either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

SKLaw wrote: »
    The email sent by the LS says it starts at 10 am on 22 October and 2pm on 23 October though so I wonder if it will be open to do it outside those times.

Email below:

Dear Candidate,

The practice/mock examination will be available between 10.00am on Thursday 22 October and 2pm on Friday 23 October. You can log on to the practice examination at any time during this period but we would advise you to log on during office hours when our help lines are available, if at all possible.

The purpose of this practice session is to:
    · Allow you to install the necessary software;
    · Test your hardware and internet connection;
    · Familiarise yourself with the Better Examination tools available;
    · Allow us to deal with any queries or any issues you may have in advance of the November examinations.

Please note this is a practice session provided for you, so please take your time when logging on, installing software and testing the system so that you are happy using the system in advance of the exams in November.

Please log on to https://lawsocietyie.betterexaminations.com/
    Please use the username and password that you have already setup.

If you have not already setup an account, please check your email for the account setup email sent to you from Better Examinations.

Please use the same laptop/device you intend to use for your examinations in November and sit the examination in the same location. Make sure that you have sufficient lighting as this is necessary for the webcam to work properly.

Please see attached: FE1 GUIDE TO NOVEMBER ONLINE EXAMINATIONS
    This document contains a step by step guide to your mock examination and includes information about how to navigate the exam platform and the tools available to you during the examination. As it is not possible to print the examination questions, you may find the Highlighter tool useful. The Notepad and Sticky Notes tools can be helpful for rough work and planning your answers.

HELP LINES
    We have set up helplines which will operate between 10.00am and 5.00pm on Thursday and Friday to deal with any queries you may have. If we cannot resolve your query immediately, we will take a note of your issue and return your call as quickly as possible. If you need help, please contact one of the following:

Shirely Foley - 01 881 5745
    Danielle Green - 01 881 5730
    Carmel Kearney - 01 672 4934
    Fiona O’Flaherty - 01 881 5701

Kind regards

FE1 SECTION

Was this email sent out? I received all the others but not this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Fe123

FE1new wrote: »

Got mine 15 mins ago

FE1new wrote: »

Yeah just tonight. I'd say they're still having trouble with the group email being sent to everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bluerthanu

Samuma wrote: »
    Did you see City College's Night before notes? (If anyone can confirm if these are usually a good prediction?)

I'm going to cover the following:
    Negligence: duty, standard, causation- to apply to scenarios with the potential of an essay
    Psychiatric damage; if I have time to cram i'll include negligent misstatement and pure economic loss, but not likely at this stage!!
    Employers & Vicarious Liability- City colleges highlight this is a potential
    Animal liability because it hasn't come up in so long
    Damages
    Nuisance, Trespass and Rylands
    Passing off

Defamation comes up a lot so it'll either continue to appear or stop. Either way i'm going to take a chance and leave it out...

EEEK!

Without making outright predictions but, to the extent these things count for much with tort, I would add these three caveats.

First is that occupiers liability didn't come up in the last two sittings (online and in person for August), which makes it more probable I would think for it to come up in two weeks. It has appeared on 9 of the last 19 sittings I have data for.

Second is that professional negligence has also been neglected somewhat in recent yeas. Medical or professional negligence (either as an essay or problem question) hasn't appeared since October 2019, whilst pure economic loss (and I don't have specific results on Hedley Byrne liability) hasn't appeared since October 2017.

Third is that defamation, whilst not appearing on the online August exam, is examined nearly every year (the most frequent of any other specific topic from the sittings I have access to), so I would think this would be a wise one to include for study tbh.

Obviously, all the above is part speculation and part deciphering random trends—and I'm kinda just posting this under the assumption someone has some form of notes prepared on some or all of these topics already, with it being just a case of what ones you're restricting your focus ahead of cramming. Just thought I'd share given how awful tort is.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

OK so no rough work or printing of the exam paper allowed. What a croc of BS.

What does that mean for legislation? We still haven't been provided clarity on this.

They have changed the format of this exam in an attempt to "preserve the integrity of the exam" but in fact by doing so, they have ruined the integrity of the exam and placed an unnecessary burden on students.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Hazel774

Really disappointed that we can't print the paper. I don't know what their reasoning for this could possibly be.
    Once we print it in view of the webcam and we can hold the paper up to the camera to show that's all we've printed, what could their reason possibly be not to permit this??

If this is a solely automated recording, rather than an invigilated video call then how will we be able to use our legislation?

Will I have to flick through every page in front of my webcam, unprompted because I'm not able to be instructed or ask a question because there is nobody there.

What happens if I need to go to the toilet?

This whole thing has been a mess of a journey from start to finish since March. The only reason I am sticking with this is because I wasted 4 years getting a pointless law degree and I am sick and tired of getting nothing but abuse working in retail and I want a way out. Especially at a time like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

Hazel774 wrote: »
    Really disappointed that we can't print the paper. I don't know what their reasoning for this could possibly be.
    Once we print it in view of the webcam and we can hold the paper up to the camera to show that's all we've printed, what could their reason possibly be not to permit this??

The practice exam section shows how the questions are and you switch between each question. So its not a pdf and it couldn't be downloaded. Have a log in and see it is quite strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Hazel774

Lallers96 wrote: »
    They have changed the format of this exam in an attempt to "preserve the integrity of the exam" but in fact by doing so, they have ruined the integrity of the exam and placed an unnecessary burden on students.

I know! The 'integrity' of this exam went out the window a long time ago and they can't keep putting the burden on students, it's not our fault that we're in a pandemic.

It's bad enough that we have to sit an exam in circumstances where many of us will not be in a quiet environment, and have the added stress of relying on technology/ wifi that we have no control over... now they're not even letting us print the paper or do out rough work which we have done in every exam we've ever sat

They really can't get anything right, why not just trust us to print the paper, we all have enough on the line sitting these exams that we're not going to do anything stupid or try to cheat

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maggie95

Lallers96 wrote: »
    If this is a solely automated recording, rather than an invigilated video call then how will we be able to use our legislation?

Will I have to flick through every page in front of my webcam, unprompted because I'm not able to be instructed or ask a question because there is nobody there.

What happens if I need to go to the toilet?

This whole thing has been a mess of a journey from start to finish since March. The only reason I am sticking with this is because I wasted 4 years getting a pointless law degree and I am sick and tired of getting nothing but abuse working in retail and I want a way out. Especially at a time like this.

I'm not sure how they're going to distinguish the legislation from anything else but I was talking to the FE1 section on the phone the other day and they confirmed that we will absolutely be able to use our legislation as normal.

They couldn't, however, confirm whether we can go to the bathroom or not... that is apparently still in discussion....
    I can't see how they'd get away with not letting us go to the bathroom on an ethical standard... but they don't seem to consider that regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Lawlaw12

maggie95 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how they're going to distinguish the legislation from anything else but I was talking to the FE1 section on the phone the other day and they confirmed that we will absolutely be able to use our legislation as normal.

They couldn't, however, confirm whether we can go to the bathroom or not... that is apparently still in discussion....
    I can't see how they'd get away with not letting us go to the bathroom on an ethical standard... but they don't seem to consider that regardless

How is this even a question haha
    If we need to use the bathroom, we need to use the bathroom - what more is there for them to discuss? :confused:

• Advertisement

I'm raging with them....been waiting for an appointment for weeks on end, it's on tomorrow and I cancelled it to do this stupid mock exam that's now available for 28 hours!

Why couldn't they have sat down for a few hours a few weeks or even last week to iron out the creases??!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement