Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SKLaw

steveeq wrote: »
    Doing the mock one now. It’s been “loading exam...” for a few minutes now. This is great

I had the same problem until I had to redo the whole process again

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Twinings2016

Yeah, I've tried this twice now and it logged me out both times after a few minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 andrcamp

Am I the only one very disturbed by the reviews of the Proctorio software and being asked to show my ID to this crowd? Really not comfortable with this

• Registered Users Posts: 28 steveeq

SKLaw wrote: »
    I had the same problem until I had to redo the whole process again

I would imagine if we have trouble loading on the day it eats into our own time, I.e. the 3 hour clock starts at 9:30 am whether you’re there or not, or does the 3 hour clock start after you have clicked
    in?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maggie95

I actually think the Better Examinations system is very good, easy to use and has the highlight option plus notepad and sticky notes. I think it's the best option they could have found.

I just don't like Proctorio.

• Advertisement

I would imagine if we have trouble loading on the day it eats into our own time, I.e. the 3 hour clock starts at 9:30 am whether you’re there or not, or does the 3 hour clock start after you have clicked
    in?

Yeah, I've wasted a good amount of time waiting for it to load. I did the whole pre-exam tests at 9:30 just to be sure but I couldn't see the time either when it was on the loading page so I'm not sure was the time ticking away the whole time I was waiting

Edit: just to add also, I tried to ring the numbers given in the email but seems like everyone is busy

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

Seems like there's no word count and the grammarly extension is disabled, I tried to run a spell check with a special button on my keyboard and it threatened to kick me out of the exam

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

Is spellcheck available on the mock exam or not?

Not able to log in yet, hopefully make the 2 pm slot!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 JudeLawX

It is beyond frustrating that they have not allowed us a pen and paper to jot notes, never mind a hard copy of the exam paper. I do not appreciate having to scroll back up to view the problem question as the text box reaches capacity and both no longer fit on the screen. We have never had to take exams like this before, the least the LSI could have done was facilitate the printing off of the paper.

In addition, for those who have taken and logged off the 'mock exam' already you will have noticed that the word count feature which is available on the practice exam was not available on our exam platform. Did anyone else have this issue? How are we to gauge how much we've written considering you cannot view the whole answer at once and cannot view a word count.

Also, the page which listed the elements being recorded during the exam included camera feed, audio, computer screen, websites visited, location, identity document...exam environment was crossed off. What does this mean? If they're recording us that surely means anything surrounding us in the camera frame is captured, so is it just alluding to the fact we will not be asked to turn our cameras around to show the room?

I am baffled. I feel so let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

just did the online mock.. only stayed on for 10 minutes to familiarise myself with the tools layout etc I found it ok just a bit strange! my webcam resolution is pretty bad but it passed the camera test so it must be sufficient quality for the exam.. the only thing im worried about is that when showing my ID the camera quality is so bad all the info on my ID is near impossible to make out, you can see my picture but its quite blurry. Does anyone think that this will cause a problem or since the webcam test was passed should it be ok?

• Advertisement

Jeremiah25 wrote: »
    Is spellcheck available on the mock exam or not?

Not able to log in yet, hopefully make the 2 pm slot!

No spell check feature unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lawgrad2020

Not doing the actual exam on the laptop I have now, and will only get my own back next week - anyone any idea on whether I can do another mock next week or what should I do?

(Tried all four numbers on the emails and all are busy)

If you click stop sharing down the bottom you get kicked off the platform without any warning, the hide button is dangerously close to it so be careful

Not doing the actual exam on the laptop I have now, and will only get my own back next week - anyone any idea on whether I can do another mock next week or what should I do?

(Tried all four numbers on the emails and all are busy)

If you can grab a computer/laptop between now and tomorrow then do, at least you’ll be somewhat familiar. There’s a highlighting option, a little notepad, sticky notes etc. Also the text box is tiny, so I was taken a back that it’ll be hard enough to reread my answer. If you can, log in and get somewhat familiar, rather than being blind to it on the day with your own laptop

SKLaw wrote: »
    Yeah, I've wasted a good amount of time waiting for it to load. I did the whole pre-exam tests at 9:30 just to be sure but I couldn't see the time either when it was on the loading page so I'm not sure was the time ticking away the whole time I was waiting

Edit: just to add also, I tried to ring the numbers given in the email but seems like everyone is busy

I’d say if you do have a problem on the day you’ll quickly encounter another problem by trying to get through to one of those four numbers. I’m glad I’m not first up, although I am doing company on day 2. Hopefully any issues will be sorted after Tort (apologies to those doing Tort!)

I’d say if you do have a problem on the day you’ll quickly encounter another problem by trying to get through to one of those four numbers. I’m glad I’m not first up, although I am doing company on day 2. Hopefully any issues will be sorted after Tort (apologies to those doing Tort!)

I'm just hoping there won't be any issues on the day of the exam which is the most important but yeah, it seems like those 4 numbers are going to be very busy even during (or especially) the days of the exams

Hoping for the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Fe123

It said first there was an issue with my mic then I restarted it and my mic was fine but there was an issue with my webcam even though the webcam was fine the first time, I logged out and back in without changing anything any everything was working fine. I hope it doesn’t do that the morning of the exam :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Fe123

Does anyone know if the webcam just records via the front facing camera

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭law987

Fe123 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the webcam just records via the front facing camera

I suppose so, there aren't any other cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 38 htnor

Just did the practice exam there, all worked ok for me. I rang Law Society to ask about time, they think it will be 10am-1pm.
    I think its unfair to not even give us an extra 15 minutes given the new format, but woman I spoke to said any technical difficulties will likely pause the timer so we won't lose out on time? Fingers crossed for that.

It records your screen as well as webcam/microphone etc. It doesn't seem to me that it monitors eye movements etc? Which would seem to be fine for using legislation etc.

• Advertisement

htnor wrote: »
    I think its unfair to not even give us an extra 15 minutes given the new format, but woman I spoke to said any technical difficulties will likely pause the timer so we won't lose out on time? Fingers crossed for that.

Likely? its 12 days to the first exam, how do they not know this yet

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Anyone have a direct contact for Better Examinations? I completed the session but I need to see if I can run the diagnostic check on a different laptop..thanks

there is spellcheck ? right click over the word...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 htnor

Aoibhin511 wrote: »
    Likely? its 12 days to the first exam, how do they not know this yet

Yeah I'm not getting my hopes up.

Also to people wondering about spell check, I was able to right click any words to correct spelling

there is spellcheck ? right click over the word...

Sorry you're correct with this I just meant a full spellcheck like the word function you can do at the end!

Yeah thats not there , but at least we have the right click. The examiners will never go back to normal exams after this. It will be so much easier to mark for them !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Emmaslaw17

Anyone else not getting anywhere with the mock exam? I passed the checks and started at 10am but can't click on anything once it's open without a serious delay or no response... Tried clearing my laptop and restarting but still useless. Tried to start a chat and call the numbers but didn't get through to anyone. My internet speed is fast and my laptop is new enough... At a loss

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

So I can't get onto the exam becasue thej lightening in the room is not good enough for the camera, not sure what I am supposed to do about this, the full light is on and the sun is coming in the window.

I called FE section
    1. No rough work
    2. No printing of exam
    3. Yes to bathroom breaks
    4. No extra time.

i am on online support with the exam people now who told me they will be monitoring our eye movements even though I was specifically told from the law society that they would not be doing that.
    This is a disater, if these issues come up each morning of the exam I could be ages waiting to get into that time and i would be so frustrated it would affect my concentration

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CoconutHeadMia

Surely we could just use our legislation as rough work and they can’t really say anything about it?

• Advertisement

awsah wrote: »
    So I can't get onto the exam becasue thej lightening in the room is not good enough for the camera, not sure what I am supposed to do about this, the full light is on and the sun is coming in the window.

I called FE section
    1. No rough work
    2. No printing of exam
    3. Yes to bathroom breaks
    4. No extra time.

i am on online support with the exam people now who told me they will be monitoring our eye movements even though I was specifically told from the law society that they would not be doing that.
    This is a disater, if these issues come up each morning of the exam I could be ages waiting to get into that time and i would be so frustrated it would affect my concentration

the whole eye movement issue is bothering me. There has to be some more clarification about this like we can't be told two different things

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement