Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Odelay wrote: »
    Trailers made out of lorry bodies were the rage 30+ years ago. There is a reason people use purpose made trailers now.

I’m thinking the same. Unless it’s just for on a farm and not the roads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭emaherx

They would need the second axle then to give them some stability.
    We get all animals to outfarms in a 10' IW. Takes all day and tough on the old jeep. Can't justify a new one for a few days work per year.

I'll have to ask emaherx to measure the platform height of his trailer.

Here is the floor height and floor to roof height.
    Now get building and take plenty of pictures. ;)

All day with jeep and trailer is no fun, which is exactly why I spent the money on a new tractor trailer, as far as I'm concerned the cattle trailer is the most important implement on a disjointed farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭Grueller

emaherx wrote: »
    Here is the floor height and floor to roof height.
    Now get building and take plenty of pictures. ;)

All day with jeep and trailer is no fun, which is exactly why I spent the money on a new tractor trailer, as far as I'm concerned the cattle trailer is the most important implement on a disjointed farm.

Are you happy with the tuffmac Emaherx?

Grueller wrote: »
    Are you happy with the tuffmac Emaherx?

Yes, it has made moving cattle so much easier.

There are better trailers out there and lesser ones too. I'd looked at everything from timber clad to aluminum clad trailers with fully galvanized chassis but the Tuffmac ticked the most boxes for me.

I wasn't going to buy it because they usually build 8ft wide trailers, but they came back and said they'd build a 7ft one which suits my 390 better. Even at 7ft I still had to add telescopic mirror arms to the tractor.

I always sweep out the trailer after use but would only properly wash out at the end of the season so the welded aluminum floor and sides were what sold it for me.

Hudson trailers were by far the best looking trailers I'd looked at, but I couldn't justify the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

emaherx wrote: »
    Yes, it has made moving cattle so much easier.

There are better trailers out there and lesser ones too. I'd looked at everything from timber clad to aluminum clad trailers with fully galvanized chassis but the Tuffmac ticked the most boxes for me.

I wasn't going to buy it because they usually build 8ft wide trailers, but they came back and said they'd build a 7ft one which suits my 390 better. Even at 7ft I still had to add telescopic mirror arms to the tractor.

I always sweep out the trailer after use but would only properly wash out at the end of the season so the welded aluminum floor and sides were what sold it for me.

Hudson trailers were by far the best looking trailers I'd looked at, but I couldn't justify the cost.

Did you look at the johnston? They seem to be one of the cheaper ones. Look a bit lighter too.
    How do you find the single axle setup?

• Advertisement

Did you look at the johnston? They seem to be one of the cheaper ones. Look a bit lighter too.
    How do you find the single axle setup?

I can't remember, I looked at a few manufacturers in the North, some only did steel floors or had optional aluminum floors and roofs, by the time you selected the spec the same as the Tuffmac I don't think there was much difference in price.

I find the single axle fine, it's a well balanced trailer. I haven't had reason to regret not opting for the double axle, might be different if I had a high speed tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Where's the best place to get tin for replacing roof on cattle trailer?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

They would need the second axle then to give them some stability.
    We get all animals to outfarms in a 10' IW. Takes all day and tough on the old jeep. Can't justify a new one for a few days work per year.

I'll have to ask emaherx to measure the platform height of his trailer.

Time was, I'd be scouring DoneDeal or the scrappys, only delighted to start welding.
    Now, I'd rather hire a lad with a lorry for a few hours..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Any one here using a sonarol shear grab ??
    Any options good or bad

Yep, got it there Saturday a week ago
    Delighted with it
    Have it on a 120hp Massey and she's handling it very well, waiting on a 1t weight for the back just to keep her grounded better
    Very good value for money too, any of the main brand bale shears are 3k
    Feeding 3 bales a day atm across a 115ft feed passage, able to split the bales up a good few times with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Not sure where to post so I'll put it here. I want to buy a new corded angle grinder. The Makita is 98 and packed it in. Is there any particular brand people would suggest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Not sure where to post so I'll put it here. I want to buy a new corded angle grinder. The Makita is 98 and packed it in. Is there any particular brand people would suggest?

I'd go Makita again, we bought a new one about 5 years ago
    Previous one was makita do and probably early 90s, good strong grinder I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

My grinder keeps springing up when I'm cutting, what's the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Suckler

I've a 4" Makita and 9"Hitachi; can't fault either of them. There's good deals to be had on 4" & 9" Hikoki Bundle that I'd consider.

https://www.everydayweldingsupplies.com/hitachi-hikoki-9-inch-4-and-half-inch-angle-grinder-twin-bundle-110v-or-240v-with-free-9-inch-diamond-blade-4-half-inch-blade

• Registered Users Posts: 10,708 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Kickback, is it? Are you used to using one?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,708 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

i bought this Bosch one recently on screwfix. Trade rated. Very happy with it. Good strong build and lovely balance to it when cutting.
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/bosch-gws-7-115-720w-4-electric-angle-grinder-240v/6339j

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

kevthegaff wrote: »

Is it new? Happened with a new before and had put guard/handle on wrong side

Have Makita's here big/small and find them good. Have ordered from Caulfields in Galway a few times, usually very quick on delivery too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

There's a place in roscommon town, near the mart, think it's called Clarke's. Good value there.

Caulfield are dear. Use them in work only because they are setup as a supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Suckler wrote: »
    I've a 4" Makita and 9"Hitachi; can't fault either of them. There's good deals to be had on 4" & 9" Hikoki Bundle that I'd consider.

https://www.everydayweldingsupplies.com/hitachi-hikoki-9-inch-4-and-half-inch-angle-grinder-twin-bundle-110v-or-240v-with-free-9-inch-diamond-blade-4-half-inch-blade

That's good value. Think I'll just buy off them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

That's good value. Think I'll just buy off them

Do, good solid grinders.

• Advertisement

There's a place in roscommon town, near the mart, think it's called Clarke's. Good value there.

Caulfield are dear. Use them in work only because they are setup as a supplier.

Would disagree, bought same early in the year for less than 150 inc delivery and vat, the vat and delivery on that will bring to 170 very quickly

raypallas wrote: »
    Is it new? Happened with a new before and had put guard/handle on wrong side
    Must be then!

I bought one 12 years ago Makita, and lasted 10 years. Bought another one and it only lasted 1.5 years, supplier wouldnt stand over it, 3rd makita now im om

• Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

5 & 6 tonne rated hitches and no braking? Do the aussies not use overrun braking? I see some references to electric braking, but it seems like a non OEM thing.

No point putting one of these on a tri-axle!

Hitch-Ezy
    hitch-ezy-components-02.jpg

McHitch
    8ffa492797f15bda2e0e3a38ac287ca2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I know I should be the one that should know better but **** me the price of new tractors are completely mental

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Makita are not what they once were, they are heavy, the guards on them are ****e, and they can't take any abuse as they once could, far better grinders out there today.
    Bosch, Milwaukee, Hitachi/Hikoki would be my preferance and in that order too.

Look for one with a quick release nut, i have one on my Milwaukee i can change a disk in 3 seconds and i never have to go looking for a spanner to loosen the nut.

Edit: Just to add,cordless grinders are the cat's meaow, unless you're going to be using it for a few hours every day of the week i would at least consider them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

raypallas wrote: »
    Would disagree, bought same early in the year for less than 150 inc delivery and vat, the vat and delivery on that will bring to 170 very quickly

Its 136 including vat and 5.85 delivery so just under 143 euro for the deal on everyday welding supplies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Makita are not what they once were, they are heavy, the guards on them are ****e, and they can't take any abuse as they once could, far better grinders out there today.
    Bosch, Milwaukee, Hitachi/Hikoki would be my preferance and in that order too.

Look for one with a quick release nut, i have one on my Milwaukee i can change a disk in 3 seconds and i never have to go looking for a spanner to loosen the nut.

Edit: Just to add,cordless grinders are the cat's meaow, unless you're going to be using it for a few hours every day of the week i would at least consider them.

+1 on quick release nut. You can buy them on their own from screwfix

9935452 wrote: »
    Its 136 including vat and 5.85 delivery so just under 143 euro for the deal on everyday welding supplies

Fair enough, must of missed the inc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Reggie. wrote: »
    I know I should be the one that should know better but **** me the price of new tractors are completely mental

Ah sure they know the good contracting men and wealthy farmers of ireland will make that good investment regardless

Advertisement