Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Hopefully like banning the splash plate, stapping down silage bales gets pushed and pushed until it's forgotten about completely. Adding danger and extra time to the job that isn't needed. Good luck to anyone that can strap down wrapped bales without climbing up to position the strap. Typical trailer with 10 bales on the floor and 4 along the top, those bales aren't going to move an inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Gillespy wrote: »
    Hopefully like banning the splash plate, stapping down silage bales gets pushed and pushed until it's forgotten about completely. Adding danger and extra time to the job that isn't needed. Good luck to anyone that can strap down wrapped bales without climbing up to position the strap. Typical trailer with 10 bales on the floor and 4 along the top, those bales aren't going to move an inch.

It’s the law now and it’s being enforced.

Lucky to have a lot of common sense Gardai then. Talked to a good few about it and they never had one issue with strapping down silage bales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Lucky to have a lot of common sense Gardai then. Talked to a good few about it and they never had one issue with strapping down silage bales.

Do you mean they don’t mind if they are not strapped down.

Do you mean they don’t mind if they are not strapped down.

Never been stopped or anything like that. I'm sure they would stop an unsecured load if they saw one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Can see the greens getting through taxes that steep on the likes of silage wrap going forward that baling silage will become a thing of the past, be a brave contractor that would drop 50 odd k on a trailer like that given the shower of b**ds in government at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭emaherx

I never bring a trailer load of bales on the road without straps and I never need to climb on a trailer to reposition them either.

I've seen plenty of bales along the road from trailers belonging to lads who's bales "would never budge" though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

emaherx wrote: »
    The land here is spread over a few miles.

Is that output just drop and turn around? Bales taken from a large trailer could be stacked directly from the trailer, which would still make it more efficient at less than a mile. Large capacity on those trailers along with no need to tie down.

I'm sure there would be less fuel used and trailer could transport other things even square bales large or small not limited to round bales

They reckon at three quarters of a mile a keltec will do 70 bales an hour and thats not taking anything on the front.
    That would keep a tractor busy enough at the yard.
    If you are using a normal trailer you do lose time strapping the load. .
    A share of lads are getting stopped and prosecuted over it .

I do agree though that a normal trailer has a lot more uses than a keltec.
    The price of a new keltec is around 20k as well which is a lot for a one trick pony

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭emaherx

9935452 wrote: »
    They reckon at three quarters of a mile a keltec will do 70 bales an hour and thats not taking anything on the front.
    That would keep a tractor busy enough at the yard.
    If you are using a normal trailer you do lose time strapping the load. .
    A share of lads are getting stopped and prosecuted over it .

I do agree though that a normal trailer has a lot more uses than a keltec.
    The price of a new keltec is around 20k as well which is a lot for a one trick pony

We weren't comparing a normal trailer though, it was the one with hydraulic sides so no tie down.
    And I accepted that on short runs the Keltec makes sense. Many of us don't have the luxury of a farming in less than 1KM.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Our contractor has a keltec bale trailer, and we would usually draw the bales ourselves on low loader, but I couldn't draw them this year. Keltec is way quicker and a lot more efficient than our own outfit. The man on the keltec was constantly going, and the lad on the loading shovel at the yard was never waiting too long. If that was ourselves, I'd be wasting too much time taking on and off the trailer, strapping down bales and loading and unloading bales one by one. I would seriously consider buying one if I was making more bales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Anyone know of anywhere a fella could get an amazone powerharrow refurbished? Some where that is reasonable. Think there is a rotor seal starting to leak and the tine holders would need to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Soft hands and extra wide trailer is the best for moving bales. Stack bales on the flat and they ain't going anywhere. A bale falling from the top row could do some serious damage though.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Panch18 wrote: »
    I wonder what kind of money is a bale trailer with the side rails?

It's surely got to be the way forward if the strapping down is really really enforced (which it will be soon enough)

The slurrykat one starts at 16k plus var.
    Keltec 10 pack starts at 21k plus vat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Anyone know what the shaffer loaders are like?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Reggie. wrote: »
    Anyone know of anywhere a fella could get an amazone powerharrow refurbished? Some where that is reasonable. Think there is a rotor seal starting to leak and the tine holders would need to be replaced.

Did you try Mortimer machinery between Athboy and trim?

Did you try Mortimer machinery between Athboy and trim?

Think I may be sorted lad cheers. Think it's actually a bearing that's gone now. There is a little movement in it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Anyone know what the shaffer loaders are like?

Have no experience but they are supposed to be a great loader - some say that them and weideman are significantly better than jcb

You’re probably not too far from Breens in cashel who are a dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Reggie. wrote: »
    Think I may be sorted lad cheers. Think it's actually a bearing that's gone now. There is a little movement in it now

The bearings are not that hard do on them powerharrows. Sometimes even the tine might have a bit of rock on it but the bearing is not goosed. It's only the top lock nut that has come loose from vibration. Tighen, a spot of a mig welder on it and away you go.
    The biggest job is getting to the top of the bearing. Lots of bolts 😂

The bearings are not that hard do on them powerharrows. Sometimes even the tine might have a bit of rock on it but the bearing is not goosed. It's only the top lock nut that has come loose from vibration. Tighen, a spot of a mig welder on it and away you go.
    The biggest job is getting to the top of the bearing. Lots of bolts 😂
    Yeah it nearly feels like it's the top nut that has come loose as it looks like it's a fraction lower than the one next to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

what are lads charging for wrapping round bales excluding plastic?

• Advertisement

what are lads charging for wrapping round bales excluding plastic?

€2 a bale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

What are skidsteers worth, I know of a white bobcat lying up, looks solid and little or no rust. It's a 763 or something like that- the number is on the rear of it on both sides.
    There's a bucket on it.
    Not many on done deal so hard to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

What are skidsteers worth, I know of a white bobcat lying up, looks solid and little or no rust. It's a 763 or something like that- the number is on the rear of it on both sides.
    There's a bucket on it.

I've been watching them on dd. Rusty ones look to be in around 7k and decent ones look closer to 10k

There's a bucket on it.

I have a mustang, 2001 say shes worth around 6k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I have a mustang, 2001 say shes worth around 6k

Solid be getting a bargain at a bit less than that....

The 7k rusty, 10k tidy sounds about right to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Any idea of what value a '84 Fiat 880 five cylinder is worth. Mechanically it's sound and in every day use but the cab is very rusty and is letting in rain through the roof. The front tyres haven't much grip left and the rear ones have about 20%.

Base price wrote: »
    Any idea of what value a '84 Fiat 880 five cylinder is worth. Mechanically it's sound and in every day use but the cab is very rusty and is letting in rain through the roof. The front tyres haven't much grip left and the rear ones have about 20%.
    4000-7000?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Base price wrote: »

Realistically 3500-4K, I'd shove it up on DD for 5500 and chance your arm, but if the cabs that bad you'll have a lot of tyre kickers.

Button.on the dash of the tm 150, if it isnt pressed on, the tractor wont start, what is it looks like a PTO sign

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Button.on the dash of the tm 150, if it isnt pressed on, the tractor wont start, what is it looks like a PTO sign

I'm no expert but AFAIK the pto stops on these if the fanbelt breaks, check to see is the S belt loose.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement