Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meta Quest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Has to be the most uncomfortable thing I've ever put on my head. Every two seconds I'm adjusting it because theres too much pressure on my head or on my cheekbones or theres too much light leaking through by my nose. Then strap is awful I'm not sure elite will make much difference?

I've tried all 3 IPD settings and they are all the same for me except FOV is smaller on the wider ones so not sure what's going on there.

I'm a bit disappointed to be honest I remember putting the PSVR on and never touching it again you'd forget it was even on your head but this is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

My Quest 2 finally got dispatched from Amazon last night, with delivery expected on Tuesday. I checked the order again and I see that it's standard delivery. I've a Prime Account. My last few orders all have "priority" as their delivery status.
    Should this order not also be priority? Can someone else with a Prime Account please check what the delivery status on their orders were for this Quest? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Got mine yesterday, first time headset owner, very disappointed, got it mostly to watch films on large screens and tv via the prime and netflix apps as I travel a lot for work and theres an obvious problem with it. The rooms you watch the films in both have a smoky grey covering which totally distracts you from the film. From other forums it's a problem with black colours that's effecting games too. its like going to a cinema where everyone is smoking all the way through.
    Loving the vr in games demos I've tried but if media playing is your thing avoid

I've been seeing people mention that alright. The Oculus Go would have been perfect for your needs.

I suspect that someone will come up with a way to adjust the black levels as people have already figured out how to increase the bit rate via Sidequest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The black levels would be inherent to the LCD tech they are using. Quest 1 used OLED, and LCD won't come close to that.

Now is certainly possible there is a software issue, but you will not get black levels like OLED, no matter what fixes they come up with, and I don't think they have any kind of mini-led or local dimming on the headset.

Having said that, a lot of VR headset seem to have ditched OLED. The Valve Index, the best on the market uses LCD and not OLED.

wes wrote: »
    The black levels would be inherent to the LCD tech they are using. Quest 1 used OLED, and LCD won't come close to that.

Now is certainly possible there is a software issue, but you will not get black levels like OLED, no matter what fixes they come up with, and I don't think they have any kind of mini-led or local dimming on the headset.

Having said that, a lot of VR headset seem to have ditched OLED. The Valve Index, the best on the market uses LCD and not OLED.

It's strange.. I checked the spec for the Oculus Go and that uses LCD, but I've never noticed an issue with blacks on that, so it's possible there are software fixes to bring down the levels.

• Advertisement

mrcheez wrote: »
    It's strange.. I checked the spec for the Oculus Go and that uses LCD, but I've never noticed an issue with blacks on that, so it's possible there are software fixes to bring down the levels.

Some people are more sensitive to black levels than others, and if you are using it primarily for movie watching and the person owns an OLED TV, they will notice it.

Also, different types of LCDs have better contrast. The Quest 2 is pretty decent contrast for a LCD, and it removes the smearing you get from OLED, but if someone is used to the perfect black level OLED does, then yeah it will look bad.

Also, its possible some people just have faulty Quest 2 LCDs, that have worse than normal black levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    My Quest 2 finally got dispatched from Amazon last night, with delivery expected on Tuesday. I checked the order again and I see that it's standard delivery. I've a Prime Account. My last few orders all have "priority" as their delivery status.
    Should this order not also be priority? Can someone else with a Prime Account please check what the delivery status on their orders were for this Quest? Thanks.

Got onto Amazon Chat about this. It turns out (or their excuse was) that it "is because of the availability of the "Oculus Quest 2 Elite Strap for Enhanced Support and Comfort in VR." We're having a problem with the availability of this item, hence Amazon can't promise priority delivery and choose standard delivery instead. "

Not good enough really, but I'll get it next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Ordered from Amazon and was due to be delivered on Monday next. It was actually delivered today. Might not get a chance to try it out until monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Order mine from Amazon via AddressPal. It was delivered to UK postal hub on Tuesday - Still no sign of the bloody thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I've a birthday coming up so I'm dropping hints for a quest 2, but haven't really used VR headsets before. One thing I'm wondering about (and a google search proved inconclusive), is the option to watch live sports on these things. Anyone care to fill me in? In the times we live in, I'd have thought VR attendance at games/gigs would be very popular, and a good revenue stream for struggling teams/artists.

• Advertisement

RonnieL wrote: »
    I've a birthday coming up so I'm dropping hints for a quest 2, but haven't really used VR headsets before. One thing I'm wondering about (and a google search proved inconclusive), is the option to watch live sports on these things. Anyone care to fill me in? In the times we live in, I'd have thought VR attendance at games/gigs would be very popular, and a good revenue stream for struggling teams/artists.

There's a Venues app which is apparently good, but I've never tried it.

You can sideload lots of viewers too as the OS is native Android.

I was also going to suggest Disco Time 80s VR which is great for a bit of dancin' plus you can play your own YouTube playlist

Discovered it's now free :)

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1528246687296674/?locale=en_US

Got mine from Amazon today. Just had time to complete the initial setup there now. Is it me or is the packaging a lot less premium as compared to the Quest 1? Just a plainish brown box. Who cares I suppose as long as the headset does the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Wiggedmite

sticker wrote: »
    Order mine from Amazon via AddressPal. It was delivered to UK postal hub on Tuesday - Still no sign of the bloody thing!

You haven't received notication from AddressPal? Give them a call and get them to contact the warehouse. Mine was MIA for 2 days before being located and put on a plane. Its in the Sorting Depot now and probably gonna sit there all weekend...

Got mine from Amazon today. Just had time to complete the initial setup there now. Is it me or is the packaging a lot less premium as compared to the Quest 1? Just a plainish brown box. Who cares I suppose as long as the headset does the business.

I'd say it's all part of how they keep the price down

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

A mate of mine in the army says they do a lot of VR training on the Quest these days, keeps 'em out of harm's way upskilling for the battlefield / minefields etc, sent me on a few links to the stuff they use from these guys VRAI e.g. https://vraisimulation.com/mowag/

I like the idea of muckin' about in a MOWAG or an Apache, etc for recreation! Does anyone know if these kinda games or simulations are commercially available or is it only for defence forces, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,778 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Ordered as an Xmas present on Wednesday from Amazon and got it at lunchtime today. Great service.

Hope it lives up to the expectations. And that any would be burglars don't find it in my secret bunker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Sister in law reserved one in Argos today for my niece. It’s great that VR is starting to become mainstream, but part of me wishes it was still a niche.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Doge

I'm well jealous of all the bastards that ordered well after me from Amazon (October 6th) and got there's already! :pac:

Here's a bargain on a WiFi 6 router for the quest for use with VR Desktop:

Huawei AX3 for under €50 and AX3 Pro for under €60 delivered from Czech Republic:

[58,76€]HUAWEI WiFi AX3 Pro Quad-core Wi-Fi 6+ Wireless Router 3000Mbps Huawei Share HarmonyOS WiFi Router Networking from Computers & Office on banggood
    https://banggood.app.link/S2Nm0h6VDab

Czech Republic means there's no customs fees to pay, remember to click on CZ in the shipping options. Should take 2 to 5 days to get here.

The AX3 Pro is Quad-Core, ax3 is dual core. Ax3 pro has twice the ram @ 256MB, and 4 amplifiers instead of 2. Longer range on the ax3pro too apparently

I literally just cancelled an Amazon prime order from prime day on the tp-link archer C6 AC1200.

The Huawei is much more future proofed and specced higher.
    There's only one niggle, the web interface for the router is in Chinese, but if you download the Huawei AI life on your smart phone you can set it up in English.

where did you order your Q2 from?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,192 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Quick question, are games only cross buy if you buy them in the Rift store?

where did you order your Q2 from?

Amazon and it unexpectedly arrived a while ago!

The last tracking update was sorted at Dublin parcel hub,
    Usually it goes through the local hub before going out delivery but the delivery man just shows up.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Quick question, are games only cross buy if you buy them in the Rift store?

You can buy on Quest or Rift store and sometimes there's a discount on one that isn't on the other so always worth checking.

Just be sure that the app is cross-buy though. For example you'd think Superhot is cross-buy but it isn't.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,192 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You can buy on Quest or Rift store and sometimes there's a discount on one that isn't on the other so always worth checking.

Just be sure that the app is cross-buy though. For example you'd think Superhot is cross-buy but it isn't.

Where does it say if it's crossbuy or not? I couln't find it under game details. I was under the impression Beat Saber was but I bought it on the quest yesterday and it isn't in my rift library on the pc.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Where does it say if it's crossbuy or not? I couln't find it under game details. I was under the impression Beat Saber was but I bought it on the quest yesterday and it isn't in my rift library on the pc.

Bookmark this link, it lists all the the crossbuy games:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/section/2335732183153590/?locale=en_US#/?_k=178uje

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

After being initially unimpressed with the headset, I have to say after a couple days of play that's it's fantastic. I had no interest in Superhot and had never played it but after playing the demo I was hooked one of the best games I've ever played. Have downloaded thrill of the fight as well and those two games have showed me that VR really is getting there.

I say getting there because as fantastic as the Quest 2 is there are some issues which I think the VR industry as a whole needs to address to help VR really take the leap into the main stream.

FOV : For me this is the one thing that really holds me back from full immersion. Graphics don't matter to me for immersion but the feeling that I'm wearing a helmet and the black spaces in my periphery just ruin it for me sometimes. 180 degree FOV will be a game changer.

Comfort : I need to forget I'm wearing the headset. I don't want to feel it. I don't want to get a headache after half an hour. A light headset with nice padding and good weight distribution would make all the difference.

Sort those two issues and I'd probably never take the headset off

After being initially unimpressed with the headset, I have to say after a couple days of play that's it's fantastic.

Similar here, which is part of the reason I wanted to get a real good sense of the thing before I gave my thoughts on it.

My first impression was that it didn't really look THAT much different to the Q1, but at the time I was just comparing the Virtual Environments as I didn't have any apps loaded to compare.
    The environments are quite low res so are not the best way to compare as they look fairly similar on both headsets.

After (finally) managing to load up all my sideloaded content I played it for a good few hours today. I can honestly say it's a fantastic piece of kit, and a worthy upgrade to the Q1...with some caveats...

Positives

- Tiny solid package, highly portable and has a real Apple-esque premium feel to it. Even if it was the same price as the Q1 I think it's more solidly built and worth equivalent value.

- Everything loads and runs faster!

- The built in speakers are great. I haven't felt the need to use earphones yet.

- Comfort is a vast improvement over Quest 1 which gave me pretty bad headaches. Lighter and less weight on the front of the face in comparison. This is with the cloth strap. I do feel the face pad could do with a bit of an upgrade though, so looking to get a VRCover one later. Hopefully the Elite strap makes it even more comfortable.

- At first I thought the screen resolution wasn't that much different, but having compared like for like I can now definitely see a huge difference.
    My initial impression was affected by the fact I had been playing an Oculus Go for most of the last week and so I was comparing the visuals to that rather than the Quest 1, but now having compared both Quests I see all the SDE when I load up the same screen compared to the Q2. In fact I never noticed it before, but now it's all I see. :(
    The Quest 2 is approaching the Oculus Go in terms of visual crispness.

- The clarity of distance objects is really noticeable and sideloaded content such as Cosmic Flow which had me hypnotised in a way that Q1 couldn't since it was all just a pixilated blur before.

- QuestZDoom on this is pure bliss... haven't enjoyed it nearly as much as I do now. Plays super fast, super clear and super bloody!

- Playing Half Life Alyx and Superhot via Virtual Desktop were both also a joy and visuals were definitely up to the Link levels, even though I was playing wirelessly (I'd say it's probably on par with Rift S)

Negatives

- Small sweetspot. I find if your not looking fairly straight it does go a little out of focus. Perhaps I need to fiddle with the IPD setting to get it a little between 2 and 3.

- God rays make white text on "black" a little blurry and low definition. This isn't so noticeable on the Oculus Go.

- The main negative of the headset is the faded black level.

I didn't notice it before until it was mentioned in this thread, but yes the Quest 1's blacks really are black whereas on the Quest 2 it's a smoky grey. This was a noticeable issue when I was playing Quake 1 and 2 where enemies in the shadows weren't visible until they were right up in front of me. When I played the same sections on the Quest 1 I could spot them in the shadows.

On Quest 1, the dark sections looked a lot more intense and rich, and most importantly more scary. I can definitely see the black levels being an issue in horror games, or cinema environments.

So, it sounds like I'd choose the Quest 1 for Quake 1 and 2, but in all honesty I'd still go for Quest 2 purely for comfort reasons.

In summary

Q2 is lighter, tighter and a hell of a lot more comfortable relative to the original. Just a shame about the black levels but there had to be some compromises I guess.

Tried the Local Media Player in Bigscreen tonight so myself a friend who i used watch tv series with before the Rona hit, who has a Quest and i came across a huge limitation.

For us to watch a video we both need a copy of the video on our Quests!

He could not see the video as a result, so had to run to the gaming PC and set up Oculus Link so we could watch a series the old fashioned way in Bigscreen.

Thats a pretty silly limitation of the media player, hopefully they update it.

Anyone get €8 credit on there Oculus account???

Just got it earlier, nice little bonus :D.

• Advertisement

Nothing here yet!

After a full day dedicated to the quest 2 I'm absolutely loving it.

Played a bit if half life alyx with Oculus link and didn't notice any decline in quality.

Tis a beast of a vr headset for the price!

Advertisement