Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Discovery ***Season 3*** [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm hoping that new guy has a positive effect on Burnham. Sort of like Tyler was having until he went all Voq on her and left her even more emotionally stunted.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I know nothing of the character himself; but having seen him on other shows can say the actor definitely possesses charisma and some swagger; two elements sorely lacking in Tyler before - especially after - the V'oq reveal. So it should at least make the romance tolerable to watch.

Yeah he came across well in the few brief clips we've seen on him. Plus he has an awesome cat. (That thing is huge!).

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭corkie

Just so people know, first episode is already available. Already watched it.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

corkie wrote: »
    Just so people know, first episode is already available. Already watched it.

How was it?

• Advertisement

How was it?

Strange. But don't want to spoil it for people by describing it more.

Nerdrotic has already put up his SPOILER review of the episode.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Good strange or bad strange?

Stark wrote: »
    Good strange or bad strange?

If you like 'Michael Burnham' then probably good if you don't bad.

It is subjective depending on people's view point (/taste).

I enjoyed the episode but it doesn't reveal anything of where the rest of the season is going. Season trailer does more on that.

It will probably take a few episodes for 'world' (/timeline) building of the show.
    Having the ship not in the episode, when we know it is going to arrive eventually? Probably episode 2, will feature the ships journey?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I think part of the problem is that it seems a bit....unbalanced maybe? It's seems like a two part episode without the second half, which I think is part of the problem. I enjoyed it, but I think it would probably benefit massively by the second episode being watched straight after. There are a lot of elements that need to be set very quickly in this season due to the 900+ year jump, and this episode doesn't fully establish us in the time in which we're supposed to be grounded for the season

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

hence why I like to let the show finish and binge watch.,

being drip fed a show is something i dont like any more

• Advertisement

corkie wrote: »
    Strange. But don't want to spoil it for people by describing it more.

Nerdrotic has already put up his SPOILER review of the episode.

Just watched it. Agree on the strange.

At times I thought I was watching Men in Black.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

3.1: Real feel of regression from the 3000 that Daniels had shown us. Though that feels like it makes sense depending on what this burn was. I wonder is the enterprise could be out there. It must be huge. That's if it survied the temporal wars. A lot could've happened in over a hundred years I guess.

When is it on Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 galway_cowboy

Michael Burham is still the most important, special person ever. Not fit with her previous larks, she's now going to fix "the Burn" (I hope it's as exciting as the Red Angel!) and restore civilisation to the galaxy. Remember when she saved every universe ever from destruction? Wow, she's so great. Can't wait for the shooty shooty bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Shall we move the post-episode-viewing discussion to the episode thread?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058122354

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Rawr

I think part of the problem is that it seems a bit....unbalanced maybe? It's seems like a two part episode without the second half, which I think is part of the problem. I enjoyed it, but I think it would probably benefit massively by the second episode being watched straight after. There are a lot of elements that need to be set very quickly in this season due to the 900+ year jump, and this episode doesn't fully establish us in the time in which we're supposed to be grounded for the season

I was going to watch this one over the weekend, but based on what I'm seeing here and elsewhere, might be best to wait until next week when the 2nd part of this story turns up.
    Not sure I'd be able to handle another round "Star Trek: Micheal" without the possibility of characters that I actually like turning up eventually. So it looks a double-bill next week for me.

With any luck they are just setting up Micheal's story first because it would make sense that she'd land in the future first. I really do hope this isn't a sign that we're in for another edition of "Micheal Burnman Show! (Featuring some Trek stuff...I guess)" If so, they haven't learned a damn thing.

If my fears are realized, it would just reinforce my belief that these people had no hand in the making of Lower Decks.

Michael Burham is still the most important, special person ever. Not fit with her previous larks, she's now going to fix "the Burn" (I hope it's as exciting as the Red Angel!) and restore civilisation to the galaxy. Remember when she saved every universe ever from destruction? Wow, she's so great. Can't wait for the shooty shooty bits.

I was looking at Netflix there and there’s heaps of other stuff on it to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Rawr wrote: »
    I was going to watch this one over the weekend, but based on what I'm seeing here and elsewhere, might be best to wait until next week when the 2nd part of this story turns up.

Heh, I was just saying exactly that in the episode thread. I think it'd be more enjoyable if you wait a week (or more?) and watch a few together.

Episode 1 wasn't bad, it just felt a like a prologue or something. (And it certainly wasn't great, either).

I usually like a week-by-week release, too. Feel like it's less pressure. But this story needs a part two and all the teasers and trailers for what's coming later this season makes this episode almost entirely redundant on it's own.

It's like they walk about 70 or 80% of the way up to the "prestige television" line with this show, then finish the rest in crayons.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,693 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

When is it on Netflix?

It should be on it now and normally every Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Strong episode happy enough with that tbh.

Very interested in where this season appears to be going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I enjoyed it. Gonna keep me going until The Expanse comes in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,241 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I enjoyed it. Gonna keep me going until The Expanse comes in December.

Ohhhh I'd forgotten about that!

I'm going to order that ship from Eaglemoss!

https://www.herocollector.com/en-us/Article/new-launch-the-expanse-ships-collection

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Parasitic ice.

FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I mean maybe if...

Or if....

Or that time when.....

Yeah that was bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

dont knock the show, some people might get upset

Parasitic ice.

FFS!

In general I quite like ST:D but they really seem to go out of their way to push the boundaries of belief. First it was space mushrooms. Then genetically manipulated a human into a klingon.

Also, I thought they couldn't use the spore drive anymore because of the effect it has?

In general I quite like ST:D but they really seem to go out of their way to push the boundaries of belief. First it was space mushrooms. Then genetically manipulated a human into a klingon.

In fairness, Klingons genetically manipulated into humans were originally featured in TOS (and in later series, though my then they had the process much less barbaric).
    Also, I thought they couldn't use the spore drive anymore because of the effect it has?

It was more to do with Starfleet being uncomfortable with its use due to it requiring an augmented human as its pilot. The issue with damaging the spore network was specific to how the Terrans were abusing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Evade

In fairness, Klingons genetically manipulated into humans were originally featured in TOS (and in later series, though my then they had the process much less barbaric).
    TOS was just plastic surgery wasn't it? One scan from Bones revealed Darvin was a Klingon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Thing is, is "parasitic ice" more or less daft than the Space Ghost of Sub Rosa, dice roll "devolution mutations", or the myriad of Higher Beings pretending to be Greek gods? Sometimes Trek was Dr Who when it wanted to be.

The "parasitic" term might have been a bit on the sillier side but I liked the idea of it; Inescapable ice, slowly absorbing the ship. The resolution of the story was shíte, but the principle stakes and threat worked and fitted into the universe of the macabre Trek does occasionally flirt with.

• Advertisement

It was more to do with Starfleet being uncomfortable with its use due to it requiring an augmented human as its pilot. The issue with damaging the spore network was specific to how the Terrans were abusing it.

"Anthony Rapp, who plays Lt. Paul Stamets, the spore drive navigator, gave some additional details as well. When asked whether he will be Chief Engineer now, he said, “Not officially as far as I know, no. I’m Spore Drive Guy. I’m spore drive, mycologist, all around science-y smart person. But not the Chief Engineer.”

He went on to explain why there may have been confusion about the fate of the spore drive after season two. “I think there was a slight misconception among some fans last year with the jahSepp storyline, that the jumping was causing them problems.

“It wasn’t the jumping,” Rapp explained, “it was Culber’s presence in the mycelial network that was causing the real problem, so once that got resolved then the jumping was no longer an issue.” "

^^^ https://www.dailystartreknews.com/read/anthony-rapp-and-alex-kurtzman-confirm-that-the-spore-drive-will-feature-in-star-trek-discovery-season-three

That explains the contamination of the network, that was a problem, last season.

Advertisement