Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Discovery Season 3 Episide 1: That Hope Is You,part1

Options
  • 15-10-2020 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,737 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

So the first episode is out and I have to say is it's very meh. I certainly would not call it Star Trek at all. It would have made a great Sci-Fi movie do. There is some good funny moments in it do and some cool tech.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

It was fine, I guess. Not very traditional Star Trek but I subscribe to the idea that Star Trek is a place rather than a specific story format, so that's fine in principle. I'm just not sure I'd be so quick to watch this if it wasn't labeled Star Trek.

Certainly seems like a (welcomed) fresh start from the previous seasons. They have more room to do the not-traditional-Trek thing in this setting and that'll probably be good.

But the episode itself was fairly meh, as AMKC said. Nothing too exciting, nothing too awful. Although was Star Trek always so jingoistic? Do we need to tear up over the significance of a badge and the unfurling of a flag? Maybe it's more a reflection of our current political world but I'm not really in the mood for the thinly veiled Team America schtick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭sioda

I expected worse tbh and I'm looking forward to what they build on.

Its reminding me of Stargate Universe tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,737 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Goodshape wrote: »
    It was fine, I guess. Not very traditional Star Trek but I subscribe to the idea that Star Trek is a place rather than a specific story format, so that's fine in principle. I'm just not sure I'd be so quick to watch this if it wasn't labeled Star Trek.

Certainly seems like a (welcomed) fresh start from the previous seasons. They have more room to do the not-traditional-Trek thing in this setting and that'll probably be good.

But the episode itself was fairly meh, as AMKC said. Nothing too exciting, nothing too awful. Although was Star Trek always so jingoistic? Do we need to tear up over the significance of a badge and the unfurling of a flag? Maybe it's more a reflection of our current political world but I'm not really in the mood for the thinly veiled Team America schtick.

I'm just not sure I'd be so quick to watch this if it wasn't labeled Star Trek.
    The same here but if it was put into the cinema as a movie do and renamed then maybe it would have been interesting to watch as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Something I dont get....
    If Dilithium exploded everywhere, then wouldnt the Romulans just take over the quadrant since they use Singularities as an energy source?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Something I dont get....
    If Dilithium exploded everywhere, then wouldnt the Romulans just take over the quadrant since they use Singularities as an energy source?

Dilithium only converts energy, it's not the source of it. The Romulans are known to make use of it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,737 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Spear wrote: »
    Dilithium only converts energy, it's not the source of it. The Romulans are known to make use of it too.

Exactly. The energy is got through matter v antimatter reactions and then converted by the dilithuim to the pure energy source used to power the warp field generated in the warp nacelles.

As for the Romulans well since there Empire was destroyed they are not as powerful as they once were and who knows what the next 700 hundred years did to them after the big fall from been one of the most powerful races in the Alpha Quadrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Oh I liked that line!
    Our numbers are few, our spirit is undiminished!

Decent episode. So many nods to Enterprise in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,355 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Very plodding episode - could have done it all in 20 mins and got on with the story
    Do you really need 50 mins to introduce a new character?

I'm gonna say don't watch the season 3 special - why did they have to reveal
    the ship crashes cue lots of non space adventures
    - I hope this is very short lived,
    dont wanna see a show that isn't based in space

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

fritzelly wrote: »
    I'm gonna say don't watch the season 3 special

Are you talking about the short "On this season..." trailer or was their something else?

I skimmed the trailer and even at that, I just thought it was unfortunate they had to show
    the Discovery at all. And then a reunion with a long haired Burnham. Kinda makes this entire first episode redundant. "Oh no, where's my ship and my crew?!?!" --- ah shut up already. You're going to wait a while, fall in love or whatever, then find the ship and it's all going to be SO EMOTIONAL. Get off this stupid beach set you're so fond of and get on with it.

I stronger willed man than myself might be compelled to ignore this show for a bunch of weeks and then watch them all back to back, as it feels like it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Enjoyed it, plenty of hope and optimism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭Evade

A resounding meh with far too much Burnham.

I'd like to pick the brain of whoever at CBS keeps insisting that season long plots of Star Trek have to hinge on the dumbest things, most of the dilithium exploded one day just because. And for the love of god (who needs a starship) throw up a macmuffin field don't have the bad guys scanners blocked by water, one of the most common compounds in the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The TNG Romulans
    had those giant ships that were the ones specifically noted for the quantum singularities,
    but in Picard
    they're back to using much smaller ships that look like the TOS birds of prey.

The singularity only replaced the matter antimatter reaction part of the warp drive not the need for dilithium as far as I understand it. Or at least that should be how it works otherwise after the dilithium went boom everyone would have switched to Romulan warp engine designs.

You might think I'm leaning too heavily on two episodes of continuity but STD brought up slipstream drives and benamite crystals in this episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Evade wrote: »
    The singularity only replaced the matter antimatter reaction part of the warp drive not the need for dilithium as far as I understand it. Or at least that should be how it works otherwise after the dilithium went boom everyone would have switched to Romulan warp engine designs.

You might think I'm leaning too heavily on two episodes of continuity but STD brought up slipstream drives and benamite crystals in this episode.

When book listed off the load of tech on his ship that got me thinking since slipstream is far far faster that we could get a look back into the delta quadrant.

Wonder if that copy of the doctor has managed to make his way back to earth yet, or amelia earharts crowd have managed to make it that far.

Varik wrote: »
    Wonder if that copy of the doctor has managed to make his way back to earth yet
    Depending on how long he stayed on that planet after the riots he might not have left yet. Living Witness, the part before the epilogue, takes place just over 100 years before this episode around the time of the Burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I was very glad to hear that being brought up. It was a glaring omission in Picard. Voyager crew came very close to getting it working by hacking it on to a ship/warp engine that wasn't designed for it in deep space tens of thousands of light years from nearest starbase. A fully resourced team of dedicated Federation researchers should have had no issues building a few prototype ships in a 20 year timeframe.

Overall I liked the episode.

The ups:
    I like the new guy.
    The world feels as strange and alien as you'd expect for 800 years past the previous point we've seen in Trek.
    They didn't drag the arse out of explaining what "The Burn" was.
    A world where long distance travel was once taken for granted and is now no longer available feels eerily familiar right now :)

The downs
    Sonequa Martin-Green's delivery can be a bit overwrought and cringeworthy at times. Otherwise what she had written for her wasn't too bad.
    I foresee lots of painful logical jumps as they try to explain why Discovery isn't immediately outgunned and stripped for dilithium the second it appears out of the wormhole.
    Varik wrote:
    Wonder if that copy of the doctor has managed to make his way back to earth yet

I would love to see him turn up. And I think the timelines should work.
    Depending on how long he stayed on that planet after the riots he might not have left yet. Living Witness, the part before the epilogue, takes place just over 100 years before this episode around the time of the Burn.

I got the impression from the end of Living Witness that he left not too long afterwards. I think the planet in Living Witness was about 60,000 light years from Federation space? So he had 40 years to hang around and 60 years to get back.

Stark wrote: »
    I was very glad to hear that being brought up. It was a glaring omission in Picard. Voyager crew came very close to getting it working by hacking it on to a ship/warp engine that wasn't designed for it in deep space tens of thousands of light years from nearest starbase. A fully resourced team of dedicated Federation researchers should have had no issues building a few prototype ships in a 20 year timeframe.
    The only possible excuse is the rarity of benamite crystals could have slowed development and testing. Seven not handing over the ins and outs of transwarp drives is a little harder to explain.

I got the impression from the end of Living Witness that he left not too long afterwards. I think the planet in Living Witness was about 60,000 light years from Federation space? So he had 40 years to hang around and 60 years to get back.
    The epilogue said he served as Meidcal Minister for several years. If he left after than five or ten years the Burn might have stranded him somewhere else.

Agree with lot of been already said.

It makes sense that hundreds of year in the future feels strange.

Morns, many Morns, fully approve.

Michael is still annoying. But at least now showing emotion,. Maybe this season will be her Mariner.

Loved Space worm.

How many versions of interstellar drive is there now?

I'd say it's not Dilithium that's the problem, but something more complex. Want to know how it effects the Romulan Singularity Core. And if Dil exploded everywhere, why did ships not eject the warp core?

Loving the optimism, even if this is Treks version of Andromeda.

Music still good.

Typical that cats survive the galactic apocalypse.

Book seems like an interesting character.

Like the futuristic city.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

I presume it all exploded at around the same time without warning somehow. Or at least that might be better than the alternative of being stranded in the middle of nowhere with no power slowly running out of supplies and being very aware of that fact.

I can't understand why they didn't go with the environmental disaster thing from TNG or an omega particle accident from Voyager. Both established as potential hazards and way less silly. Even if they had to Locarno/Paris the situation and call them Upsilon particles.

I bet there's Ferengi somewhere swimming in a pool full of latinum because he found an intact Iconian gateway.

I presume it all exploded at around the same time without warning somehow. Or at least that might be better than the alternative of being stranded in the middle of nowhere with no power slowly running out of supplies and being very aware of that fact.

I can't understand why they didn't go with the environmental disaster thing from TNG or an omega particle accident from Voyager. Both established as potential hazards and way less silly. Even if they had to Locarno/Paris the situation and call them Upsilon particles.

I bet there's Ferengi somewhere swimming in a pool full of latinum because he found an intact Iconian gateway.

It could be an environmental incident or omega related, I'm sure we will find out

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

4/5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Overall I liked the episode.

The ups:
    I like the new guy.
    The world feels as strange and alien as you'd expect for 800 years past the previous point we've seen in Trek.
    They didn't drag the arse out of explaining what "The Burn" was.
    A world where long distance travel was once taken for granted and is now no longer available feels eerily familiar right now :)

The downs
    Sonequa Martin-Green's delivery can be a bit overwrought and cringeworthy at times. Otherwise what she had written for her wasn't too bad.
    I foresee lots of painful logical jumps as they try to explain why Discovery isn't immediately outgunned and stripped for dilithium the second it appears out of the wormhole.

I would love to see him turn up. And I think the timelines should work.

Agreed, for someone raised by Vulcans she shows a remarkable lack of chill. The writers/actress need to learn that less is more. Emotional outbursts/breakthroughs are Great in small doses, but Michael seems to cycle through every emotion on the spectrum in every episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Worst epiisode of tek I jqve l ever seen.

somuj wrote: »
    Worst epiisode of tek I jqve l ever seen.

Don't speak Klingon - can you post the English translation?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

fritzelly wrote: »
    Don't speak Klingon - can you post the English translation?

It's actually 'Jameson' from the planet Whiska 🀣🀣

Nonsense episode tho. When that stupid woman was asking for help, was the first time I actually liked her. Short lived as it was. Such an unlikeable character. 900 years in the future and they still make it look a unregulated horse fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

The guardian went all in with their review. They are of the opinion that this is the best Star Trek we have had in years.

The guardian went all in with their review. They are of the opinion that this is the best Star Trek we have had in years.

That honour should be Lower Decks season finale

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I'm going to reserve judgement on this for the most part, but the show is best as an ensemble. If the whole thing focuses on Burnham again, it's going to drag.
    Agreed, for someone raised by Vulcans she shows a remarkable lack of chill. The writers/actress need to learn that less is more. Emotional outbursts/breakthroughs are Great in small doses, but Michael seems to cycle through every emotion on the spectrum in every episode.
    I don't know what they teach aspiring writers in college these days, but everyone is written to be a harsh word away from a breakdown. I remember someone (Burnham?) telling Tilly what a great captain she'd make some day, and I burst out laughing at the idea of someone with the emotional maturity of a ten year old left in charge of anything.

Advertisement