Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelic games in relation to Covid.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

other sports such as the league of Ireland/club rugby resumed after lockdown and there's no calls for them to be cancelled

sure the 6 nations is resuming next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

piplip87 wrote: »
    The GAA have taken all the precautions here yet these outbreaks happened in towns and villages not in the grounds.
    I've seen a series of photos comparing GAA and LOI games. LOI games had disciplined social distancing. GAA games had none.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

piplip87 wrote: »
    The GAA have taken all the precautions here yet these outbreaks happened in towns and villages not in the grounds. Publicans, Players, Management and supporters are to blame here.

Your correct.
    BUT

Everyone including the GAA knew it would happen.

Training should be allowed in controlled manner but all competitions should be cancelled for the foreseeable future. Into next year at least.

Ireland had covid well suppressed.

The three pillars of society for their lobby groups harassing the government and so the GAA, Vintners and the Church were all allowed belt away and as a result we are in a total mess.

Combine that with a government reacting at a snails pace it’s allowing things further out of control. Cavan, Donegal amd Monaghan should have been at L4 two weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Excellent post Kasey_Don
    Kasey_Don wrote: »
    You have 20 lads training with each other, touching and jumping on each other, breathing on top of them, sweating on top of them. This could be 2 or 3 times a week.

But yet I can't go to my local cafe that complies with the restrictions to the letter? Its a mad country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

PTH2009 wrote: »
    other sports such as the league of Ireland/club rugby resumed after lockdown and there's no calls for them to be cancelled

They are not calling for them to be cancelled because they are been responsible, no fans are sitting on top of each other, or parishs celebrating after wins, teams going for meals after games, clubs flying players home for club champ and them not isolating etc

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1014/1171603-fermanagh-fail-in-bid-to-postpone-league-match/

The GAA are a law to themselves.

For anyone who might say your a soccer head you will say that anyway, Ive played GAA with my club for 20 years now (including this year)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭political analyst

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1015/1171670-coveney-has-concerns-for-gaa-as-club-exemption-removed/
    Ireland saw a record number of 1,095 cases yesterday, leading Westmeath talisman John Heslin to question the wisdom of playing games.

"At what stage does the "Inter-county return badly needed in these grim days" commentary end?" he asked on Twitter.

"I am concerned from a health and welfare perspective, both individually and collectively, for those contributing to the inter-county season."

BPKS wrote: »
    In Britain they were desperate to re start the Premier League and Championship in June to help lift the mood of the nation.

A bit of light peeking through a hole in the tunnel.

I'm guessing by your posts that you don't realise just how much the GAA championship means to huge swathes of our country.

The summer gave people in communities all throughout the country something to get their mind off the ****storm we are in by watching their friends, sons, daughters, grandkids play sport.

The winter will hopefully do the same on a grander scale.

The difference is that letting soccer action in Britain resume had an economic imperative because of the large amounts of money involved, i.e. the salaries of players and staff, sale of merchandise. The running of the GAA is done on a voluntary basis and thus doesn't involve significant financial transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭Macy0161

_Brian wrote: »
    Your correct.
    BUT

Everyone including the GAA knew it would happen.

Training should be allowed in controlled manner but all competitions should be cancelled for the foreseeable future. Into next year at least.
    I think the GAA knew it had happened too, hence they called it early to try and manage the media fall out.

It's not just Publicans responsible/ irresponsible either. I've heard a few club houses with bars were open in the aftermath of finals too (in contravention of all club buildings being closed full stop, which goes back to March!).

I think it's somewhat harsh on counties that are left in limbo before finals, but things like that really left the GAA with no choice, as even behind closed doors wouldn't have worked.

Victor wrote: »
    I've seen a series of photos comparing GAA and LOI games. LOI games had disciplined social distancing. GAA games had none.

Social distancing is usually a permanent fixture and LOI games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭circadian

The GAA should have made it very clear that there would be punishments for after parties etc for winning clubs. By all means, have the matches played if they really need to do it (I don't think they do) but that guidelines should be adhered to.

What gets me though, is these are amateur sports. Most people competing, even at the highest level, has a job. Has to interact with others outside of the sport on a daily basis. This is a significant increase in risk. Combine that with people completely ignoring guidelines and here we are, outbreaks all over the country and because of the age groups involved it's now in schools, hospitals and the general community.

We knew there was going to be a rise in numbers come autumn/winter but these events are making it so much worse. Like many, I've restricted my movements, restricted social interactions for months now and because a small group of people couldn't be ****ed it feels like everything I engaged in was totally in vein. I can completely understand people being pissed off at the GAA. They are the Governing body, they create the rules and they should have seen this coming a mile off.

What's worse is, these are usually events that bring communities together. This time around it's creating division and disputes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 ronin88

PTH2009 wrote: »

This is from reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/jaxj1c/follow_on_from_passport_office_league_of_ireland/

"I had a read of the scenes from the passport office and it was very similar to how players in the league of ireland are also being asked to put their own health and the health of their team mates and families at risk.

My own personal experience is that of 30 people sharing dressing rooms/meeting rooms/hotels, on a bus to games, carpools of team mates coming to training from various parts of the city and all because we are seen as elite. The only protection we have to guard against this is a temperature gun which has not flagged a single person so far.

There has been incidences where team mates have had symptoms, but were told not to highlight them because we had a game coming up. The players union have only been concerned with keeping the games and fixture list going, nothing regarding our health even though two separate teams in the league have now had to isolate because of known cases.

Some of us live with vulnerable people and our health is in no way being protected or considered. Cases are rising everywhere yet we're expected to play on.

You can't speak up on this as it would be seen as disruptive and not being a team player. As we are all on year to year contracts, any disruption would mean no contract for next year."

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

The point is: why couldn't Gaelic fans do without it for one year? After all, that's what Britain did with Wimbledon - and also many non-sporting events.

I get your point - you have stated it a few times now. Gaelic games mean a lot to a lot of people. Why couldn't pub fans do without it for one year? Holiday fans? Fans of their elderly parents? Different strokes for different folks. Nobody wants to do without that which makes them happy. And if the powers that be tell us you are free to attend matches/ go to the pub/ visit your parents, then that is what we will do. We have done without plenty so are not going to forego that which is 'allowed'. GAA games are now stopped again and so are 'not allowed'. And those who are big fans will mourn their loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Whatever about the GAA fans in Ireland, the GAA fans in France, Belgium, the UK, Czech Republic etc, all need to take a long hard look at themselves.

Social distancing is usually a permanent fixture and LOI games.

Good joke if your 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Why are you focussing on just the GAA though?

Why not ask the question as to why was any sport back for that matter? Why is soccer back? Rugby? Hockey?

Are people really naive enough to believe had other sports and teams etc progressed to the situation where finals were being played and cups were being won that the same issues werent going to arise?

You can claim all ye like about not targetting the GAA yet you started a thread specifically targeting Gaelic Games!

From memory there was a desperation for all groups to have sport back, not just GAA

the kelt wrote: »

Why not ask the question as to why was any sport back for that matter? Why is soccer back? Rugby? Hockey?

Are people really naive enough to believe had other sports and teams etc progressed to the situation where finals were being played and cups were being won that the same issues werent going to arise?

You can claim all ye like about not targetting the GAA yet you started a thread specifically targeting Gaelic Games!

From memory there was a desperation for all groups to have sport back, not just GAA

1. Clubs bringing players home from abroad to play games, and said players not doing 14 days restriction on movemenets.
    2. Club had a player waiting on a test result, let him play the game, released a statement saying they read the rules wrong.
    3. Roscommonn GAA team all going for a meal after a training match (when not allowed)
    4. Celebrations in club houses, pubs, parishes after every big Champ final win.

LOI clubs have acted responsible. Dundalk qualified for the Europa League (a major achievement) in a massive soccer town, and guess what there were no celebrations in pubs, out on the streets.

When GAA get their act together and be as professional on and off the pitch as the other sports, they can maybe have a case for getting games going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭Macy0161

As dundalkfc10 pointed out really.

The GAA wanting the acting CMO to explain himself hasn't aged well, given the events in recent weeks, either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

They are not calling for them to be cancelled because they are been responsible, no fans are sitting on top of each other, or parishs celebrating after wins, teams going for meals after games, clubs flying players home for club champ and them not isolating etc

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1014/1171603-fermanagh-fail-in-bid-to-postpone-league-match/

The GAA are a law to themselves.

For anyone who might say your a soccer head you will say that anyway, Ive played GAA with my club for 20 years now (including this year)
    [/B][/B]

Its like when you're having a debate on racism and someone says "I'm not racist and I know a lot of black people. But"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

1. Clubs bringing players home from abroad to play games, and said players not doing 14 days restriction on movemenets.
    2. Club had a player waiting on a test result, let him play the game, released a statement saying they read the rules wrong.
    3. Roscommonn GAA team all going for a meal after a training match (when not allowed)
    4. Celebrations in club houses, pubs, parishes after every big Champ final win.

LOI clubs have acted responsible. Dundalk qualified for the Europa League (a major achievement) in a massive soccer town, and guess what there were no celebrations in pubs, out on the streets.

When GAA get their act together and be as professional on and off the pitch as the other sports, they can maybe have a case for getting games going again.

How do you propose the GAA controls people outside the stadium??

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Its simple don't watch it then if you feel so against it been played

These are very very tough times and sport/GAA are bringing a bit of joy and excitement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭circadian

Alright so here goes;

Football;
    County|Date|LEA|14 day rate per 100k
    Meath|4th October|Ratoath|141.1
    Cavan|3rd October|Ballyjamesduff|147.3
    Galway|4th October|Conamara South|28.1
    Tipperary|27th September|Clonmel|41.1
    Kildare|4th October|Athy|82.9
    Dublin|17th September|Dún Laoghaire|124.9

Hurling;
    County|Date|LEA|14 day rate per 100k
    Clare|27th September|Shannon|98.7
    Cork|4th October|Cork City South-East|93.5
    Galway|4th October|Gort|102.1
    Kilkenny|27th September|Callan|35.5
    Limerick|20th September|Limerick City North|138.3
    Tipperary|20th September|Roscrea|48.2
    Waterford|30th August|Waterford City East|21.8
    Wexford|23 August|Wexford|17.2

Some of these LEAs are bordering ones with much higher rates. I'd imagine looking at this it's a combination of poor adherence to the guidelines but also spread was slowly creeping near the end of August already. If these events happened in June or July I'd suspect that it wouldn't have been as serious. Looking at the data for Waterford and Wexford they had their finals much earlier than most and have largely avoided any significant rise in cases.

boardlady wrote: »
    I get your point - you have stated it a few times now. Gaelic games mean a lot to a lot of people. Why couldn't pub fans do without it for one year? Holiday fans? Fans of their elderly parents? Different strokes for different folks. Nobody wants to do without that which makes them happy. And if the powers that be tell us you are free to attend matches/ go to the pub/ visit your parents, then that is what we will do. We have done without plenty so are not going to forego that which is 'allowed'. GAA games are now stopped again and so are 'not allowed'. And those who are big fans will mourn their loss.

You can't equate following Gaelic games with people's relationships with their relatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,784 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Can't stand the GAA but there's not much point singling them out for covid cases with everything else that is going on. It's an institution that many rely on for health and fitness and community and all that jazz, so getting it up and running somewhat was important. People are just people and many can't adapt fully to these new restrictions.
    Everyone keeps trying to blame someone else for all this, remember the American tourists that were going around Ireland infecting everyone? Are they still a thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

If you didn't resume the games you would not have been able to resume a lot of other sports.

This could equate to a few million people not having organized sporting activity for them. Aside from the fundamental benefits of sport, this in turn would have had an impact on the virus spread.

People would have had to congregate in different ways and while they wouldn't all do so in settings that would promote a greater risk of spreading the virus, plenty would. And what's more they would have congregated in these settings more often than if they did not have sport.

There was an outbreak of 20 people in Tullamore linked to a golfing trip. The act of playing golf had nothing to do with it, it was the interactions while not on the golf course. Same applies to GAA and all other sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭boetstark

The other sports did not sulk like spoiled brats over allowing spectators. It was never good enough to just allow games resume. They GAA had a strop because they wanted spectators. Then they wanted an increase to 500 spectators, now see where we are.
    In limerick there has been no social distancing in grounds and feck all done about it by organisers.
    Rugby teams have been playing without spectators and without the kind of ****e we see during and after amateur GAA matches.
    The GAA stepped up big time during lockdown but I feel they left themselves down since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

In part response to the OP, I think a lot of rural areas had very little experience of the virus - it was seen as largely an urban/city thing. The GAA is a huge part of the local society, so they thought there was very little risk.

Unfortunately it only takes one infected person in an indoor location to set off a string of cases. People had left their guard down and it spread rapidly.

https://twitter.com/AchillDoc/status/1316093863220645894

How do you propose the GAA controls people outside the stadium??

Playing players waiting on Covid tests but been allowed play (as clubs didnt read rules thye claim), teams bringing players home from abroad for games, GAA clubhouses open for partys after Champ wins have nothing to do with outside the stadium. Roscommon squad all going for a meal after a game which is not allowed.

Thats a GAA matter to deal with all on their watch and so far they have failed (as a result all club games are suspended)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ronin88

Why are people singling out the GAA? It's up to the government to stop sports.

Imagine if the government allowed sport but the GAA refused to open their gates, imagine the uproar from every community.

It's the governments responsibility to govern. That's their job, if everyone could be relied upon to do their part then we won't need policing. It's a silly argument .

I don't understand how sport is being considered safe right now with the growing cases, of course mingling with 20 other people from different households/work places is going to further the spread. But to single out an organisation for operating when they were allowed to is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

ronin88 wrote: »
    Why are people singling out the GAA? It's up to the government to stop sports.

Imagine if the government allowed sport but the GAA refused to open their gates, imagine the uproar from every community.

It's the governments responsibility to govern. That's their job, if everyone could be relied upon to do their part then we won't need policing. It's a silly argument .

I don't understand how sport is being considered safe right now with the growing cases, of course mingling with 20 other people from different households/work places is going to further the spread. But to single out an organisation for operating when they were allowed to is nonsense.

Do you have dundalkfc10 on ignore?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Huge GAA fan & season ticket club holder for the last number of years. Miss going to games hugely.

That said, fully believe no matches should have been played this year, completely an unnecessary and none essential activity and the gaa have significant cash reserves, have a complete monopoly in terms of pricing, can increased ticket/membership prices in future to put towards some of this year's cash losses. People will moan about it if it happened but most will still pay.

Why are people singling out the gaa as opposed to other sports? Well, because the outbreaks tally with club games in multiple areas whereas we haven't seen the same in other sports here.

Advertisement