Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelic games in relation to Covid.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

This should have just declared the winners of the National League AI champions.

There are a lot of pointless games in the All Ireland and provincial series particularly in football involving teams that have no hope of winning Sam Maguire. Pointless games that only endanger public health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Inter county going a head is nothing short of bat **** insane at this point and it is a pipe dream to think all fixtures will be fulfilled.

Utterly pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

thelad95 wrote:
    You only have to see the difference in physique between GAA players who go down under to play AFL professionally and our resident GAA players to see very quickly that GAA players are not truly elite athletes. Bearing in mind the rules are really not too dissimilar with the exception of a tackle in AFL.

Same Aussies Ireland play in the compromise rules? Same Aussie players who state their is very little difference between their levels and the GAA? Only adjustment is majority of times the players heading to Australia are out of Minor/U20 age group and their bodies are still maturing.

Macy0161 wrote:
    Government led? Give me a break.

Let the government shut it down then. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

thelad95 wrote: »
    You only have to see the difference in physique between GAA players who go down under to play AFL professionally and our resident GAA players to see very quickly that GAA players are not truly elite athletes. Bearing in mind the rules are really not too dissimilar with the exception of a tackle in AFL.

No disrespect to GAA players in saying that it just goes to show how much of a superiority complex the GAA has.

g'way outta that.

https://www.rsvplive.ie/news/celebs/gallery/ireland-2018-limerick-left-corner-13096948

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I've no interest at all in GAA and wouldn't watch it if it was on in by back garden but I think this is a good move if they can do it safely. At the moment, the highlight of my week is watching the Premier League. I'm genuinely looking forward to the games despite being a Spurs fan and it's one of the few pleasures in life that allows me to escape the monotony that each week has become.

If the GAA can do the same for a million people or however many follow it, I think it should happen. The caveat is obviously that they can do it safely but it sounds like NPHET and the government were keen for this to happen and they're the experts so let's see how it pans out.

Rather than all assuming that there is some Machiavellian chicanery going on here, could we not just take the politicians, the medical people and the GAA at face value and assume that they are doing this for what they believe to be the good of the country and it's people.

If it goes horribly wrong, there will be time for recriminations afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Is it true the recent large Meath spike is down to GAA idiots?

Why are they till allowing kids train among each other in Level 5? They're playing the usual "mental health" card?

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Why are they till allowing kids train among each other in Level 5? They're playing the usual "mental health" card?

Yep a pile of the Meath stuff was from the county final and a complete disregard for any regulations during or after the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Would you expect any other out come when dealing with an organisation who are blinkered when it comes to their own importance and Colm O Rourke is a prime example of that. Time for them to cop on and maybe time for this government to grow some balls and take on the bullies.

ShineOn7 wrote:

So you want young kids to go to school with their friends for hours on end in an enclosed classroom but not go running around in the evening with the same friends in a much safer outdoor setting? Catch yourself on.

• Advertisement

terenc wrote: »
    Would you expect any other out come when dealing with an organisation who are blinkered when it comes to their own importance and Colm O Rourke is a prime example of that. Time for them to cop on and maybe time for this government to grow some balls and take on the bullies.

The sport that voluntarily suspended all club matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

terenc wrote: »

The GAA suspended all club matches before anyone asked them to. No bullying going on at all only typical cultural cringe merchants using every opportunity they get to bash our national games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

So you want young kids to go to school with their friends for hours on end in an enclosed classroom but not go running around in the evening with the same friends in a much safer outdoor setting? Catch yourself on.

Found John Horan's account

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not just Meath.
    Because they're in school with each other anyway?

Also, whatever about the mental health card, the physical health is also important, given how I saw some of the teenagers come out of the first lockdown when I was dropping mine up on resumption of training...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Tork

The GAA suspended all club matches before anyone asked them to. No bullying going on at all only typical cultural cringe merchants using every opportunity they get to bash our national games.

They had no choice. I know for a fact that the local club team here went on the piss after winning the county final and was joined by others not on the team. Do you really believe that this was an isolated incident? It would not surprise me if this happened all over the country. It's a really bad look for the GAA, especially after the way they reacted to NPHET.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

I wasn't targeting the GAA - I was asking about the desperation of people to have Gaelic action resumed.

Obviously you have no understanding how GAA is part of the fabric of every town & village in the country.

Nobody says that the Church and the GAA are responsible for family gatherings. But there was no need for those people to gather after Gaelic matches. By the way, education is a necessity - unlike Gaelic games.

People going skiing, Cheltenham & ruby fans from Italy brought it here initially. No need for that either.

The point is: why couldn't Gaelic fans do without it for one year? After all, that's what Britain did with Wimbledon - and also many non-sporting events.

Comparing GAA to tennis. OMG.

scrubs33 wrote:
    There may not be in the stadium but imagine if Mayo or Waterford win? Holy moly it will be bedlam in every corner of the county.

No fear of that happening

scrubs33 wrote:
    I wouldn’t write off the Mayo hurlers...😀

Now now, they did field a team recently.

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote:
    sure the 6 nations is resuming next weekend

...and womens rugby is being classified as an elite sport. What a laugh.

When GAA get their act together and be as professional on and off the pitch as the other sports, they can maybe have a case for getting games going again.

As far as I'm aware the GAA is an amateur organisation.
    LOI is amateur sport called professional.
    Rugby, well nobody plays that except 4 'provinces' and the odd club without any community ties.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Orange Tiny Terror

TCM wrote: »
    Obviously you have no understanding how GAA is part of the fabric of every town & village in the country.

It’s not even the most popular participation sport. This is just the typical GAA superior to everyone else, more Irish than everyone else in Ireland arrogance.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gigantic09

No fear of that happening

Whoever wins (if it gets that far),i don't think it will be bedlam. Even here in Mayo I think celebrations would be low key. One can't go to the game, watch it in a bar, gather in large numbers to welcome teams home. In spite of all that I hope the championship gets to be played out. It offers many of us some respite from these sh1te times. Even having to watch the dubs win again would be better than no games at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Orange Tiny Terror

As far as I'm aware the GAA is an amateur organisation.
    LOI is amateur sport called professional.
    Rugby, well nobody plays that except 4 'provinces' and the odd club without any community ties.

LOI and rugby are professional elite sports, amateur GAA is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

People going skiing, Cheltenham & ruby fans from Italy brought it here initially. No need for that either.
    Of these it was the skiing and travel from the UK midlands based on the virus genetic profiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

I am not against people playing football but its not rocket science that this virus loves the GAA, two teams of take to a pitch 30 players not counting officials and subs all handling the ball countless times coughing , spitting and shouting , it just takes one person to be infected and I think the odds are stacked in favour of one been infected. Do these people quarantine the next day NO and we do have people who played (doctors, medial nurses , teachers, garda ) going back to people at risk and involved with the population. How many teams played last week transmitted the virus!!. I don’t think it matters now if the games are played as the damage is already done. Might run out of players though.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

and now the virus in every town and village. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

no mention of the 6 nations, team flying in from Italy with all their staff this weekend, not suit the narrative?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

No bullying going on at all only typical cultural cringe merchants using every opportunity they get to bash our national games.

We don't have any national games. Less of the GAA propaganda.

Far from it.

Advertisement