Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaelic games in relation to Covid.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Thats a GAA matter to deal with all on their watch and so far they have failed (as a result all club games are suspended)

Is that not dealing with it given all this has happened in the last couple of weeks?

The Dungarvan thing was reprehensible, I would be shocked if there is not a hard sanction on it. But they're still investigating exactly what occurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

The Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) is Ireland’s largest sporting organisation. It is celebrated as one of the great amateur sporting associations in the world.

It is part of the Irish consciousness and plays an influential role in Irish society that extends far beyond the basic aim of promoting Gaelic games.
    https://www.gaa.ie/the-gaa/about-the-gaa/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭circadian

circadian wrote: »
    Alright so here goes;

Football;
    County|Date|LEA|14 day rate per 100k
    Meath|4th October|Ratoath|141.1
    Cavan|3rd October|Ballyjamesduff|147.3
    Galway|4th October|Conamara South|28.1
    Tipperary|27th September|Clonmel|41.1
    Kildare|4th October|Athy|82.9
    Dublin|17th September|Dún Laoghaire|124.9
    Hurling;
    Clare|27th September|Shannon|98.7
    Cork|4th October|Cork City South-East|93.5
    Galway|4th October|Gort|102.1
    Kilkenny|27th September|Callan|35.5
    Limerick|20th September|Limerick City North|138.3
    Tipperary|20th September|Roscrea|48.2
    Waterford|30th August|Waterford City East|21.8
    Wexford|23 August|Wexford|17.2Some of these LEAs are bordering ones with much higher rates. I'd imagine looking at this it's a combination of poor adherence to the guidelines but also spread was slowly creeping near the end of August already. If these events happened in June or July I'd suspect that it wouldn't have been as serious. Looking at the data for Waterford and Wexford they had their finals much earlier than most and have largely avoided any significant rise in cases.

I'm going to keep following up on this over the next while, just out of sheer curiosity. I think that certain clubs were better behaved than others. The Government had the opportunity and advice to increase restrictions. The GAA had the opportunity to make a strong statement to clubs competing in these finals about celebrations. I don't think it's fair to point the finger at any one group, the mistakes have already been made, let's learn from it and try and get back on track.

My main curiosity is to see the rate of spread. Many of these places are much smaller, rural populations so the behaviour and ability of the virus to spread would be much different from Dublin or Cork.

Football;
    Meath|4th October|Ratoath|375.2
    Cavan|3rd October|Ballyjamesduff|651.1
    Galway|4th October|Conamara South|112.5
    Tipperary|27th September|Clonmel|45.2
    Kildare|4th October|Athy|128.1
    Dublin|17th September|Dún Laoghaire|103.3
    Hurling;
    Clare|27th September|Shannon|365.2
    Cork|4th October|Cork City South-East|231.4
    Galway|4th October|Gort|97.9
    Kilkenny|27th September|Callan|114.4
    Limerick|20th September|Limerick City North|227.6
    Tipperary|20th September|Roscrea|120.5
    Waterford|30th August|Waterford City East|56.6
    Wexford|23 August|Wexford|20.6

Some absolutely huge increases day on day there, also decreases in Gort and Dún Laoghaire which is good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Sonny678

This is a recorded interview below of louth senior captain on radio yestersday after louths league game v Cork. He is very critical of the GAA and the handling of everything so regard the virus.

https://twitter.com/LMFMRADIO/status...08010330411009

He said basically he cannot understand how with cases going up how GAA think the GAA players are immune to this. He said there is lot of the louth players who are teachers, allot of the Louth players are living at home with elderly parents. He siad It doesnt make any sense what the GAA are doing. He said allot of former players seem to be driving the push for a championship , he said they are writing articles and have there TV gigs. He said there was no testing at all , he cannot un-derstand this , on the Louth panel no one has being tested. He says every team should be tested before the league started. He says if they did this it would take pressure of and ease the players minds becauase they are worried. He says if someone gets postive in next week, the players are going all over louth and back to Cork. He cannot understand zero testing in the GAA. The radio pre-senter said in response he was shocked also to hear there has been no testing of the louth players. The louth captain responded by saying people say its not coming from GAA teams , he says if players are not tested you wouldnt get positive tests. He said hopefully with the GPA results survey that will get the players voice out there. He says players have to be tested, but there has be no testing. He said even some testing has to done. He said its not right, its not right to put this burden on ama-teur players. He said the GAA players are not professionals like rugby players and professional soc-cer players. They can go into bubbles and they get paid. He said GAA players are amateurs. He said player have day to day jobs and are mingling with everyone else in places like shops, GAA players are not in a bubble.
    Bevan Duffy louth senior captain was talking to LMFM radio.
    Theres is allot of rumours going around allot of the counties especially top counties in hurling and football or not testing their players before training or matches. From the Louth Captain his team have not got any testing. If your going championship you have to be testing the players if not its recipe for disaster. Soccer and rugby players are in bubbles and tested very regularly.

According to the irish times today it said that one government minister said to them thaat“The GAA cham-pionship should be called off,” said a government Minister. “This is an exceptional situation for am-ateur players. You cannot have people in their own bubbles at the weekend and then working as plumbers or doctors on Monday.”
    The rumours are cabinet is split on GAA championship, it could be called be off or it could go ahead. Will find out later this evening.

The GAA championship should be cancelled, to play an All Ireland championship in the second wave of pandemic is madness and very reckless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Will Irish kids still be allowed to GAA train among each other when we go to Level 4.5/Level 5?

If they are, what's the fcuking point of any GAA restrictions?

These kids will get it off each other and then Asymptomatically spread it to adults

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Will Irish kids still be allowed to GAA train among each other when we go to Level 4.5/Level 5?

If they are, what's the fcuking point of any GAA restrictions?

These kids will get it off each other and then Asymptomatically spread it to adults

They wont be allowed to train.

Only GAA activity will be inter-county teams and this activity will decrease over the proposed 6 week lockdown period as teams get knocked out.

BPKS wrote: »
    They wont be allowed to train.

Only GAA activity will be inter-county teams and this activity will decrease over the proposed 6 week lockdown period as teams get knocked out.

Thanks for the reply

So inter-county teams = adults only?

Just in

Looks like they're going to let kids spread this among themselves when training

https://twitter.com/aoifegracemoore/status/1318214119116427265

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Who the f*ck do the GAA board think they are (demi-gods ) time for this government to pull the plug and stop these games taken place. A board of super virus spreaders and the players need to cop on and place the health of the first nation before a game of ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Just in

Looks like they're going to let kids spread this among themselves when training

https://twitter.com/aoifegracemoore/status/1318214119116427265

Our county board has informed clubs that all training is to cease and no club activity again until 2021 at the earliest.

And to answer your other question, minor (u'17) competitions are due to take place but I wouldn't be surprised to see them binned. U'20 has one game left on this weekend I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,709 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

terenc wrote: »
    Who the f*ck do the GAA board think they are (demi-gods ) time for this government to pull the plug and stop these games taken place. A board of super virus spreaders and the players need to cop on and place the health of the first nation before a game of ball.

IRFU and FAI are continuing too

Is what it is, don't watch any sport if you don't agree with it. Plenty of us happy to have it too lift the mood

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

God forbid that anyone in Gov. would upset th GAA

If you end up with things like only 10 being able to go to a funeral or people not being able to work and the GAA continue with this then they’re a disgrace. From the summoning of NPHET to explain themselves to the refusal to properly police small crowds of spectators, they’ve come out of all this looking a shadow of the organisation they once were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

How can this go ahead, honestly

A bunch of plumbers, carpenters and office workers running around with sticks, they are not elite level athletes.

It's an amateur sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

terenc wrote:

Why is this line continually spouted? Demi Gods horse s**t. The GOVERNMENT want GAA to continue. Why are they allowing it within level 5 if they didn't want it? Or even worse again the Government and NPHET have actually changed the restrictions of level 4 and 5 to ensure the GAA can continue? If you can post a link where the GAA have asked or requested any special exemptions during this pandemic I would love to read it. Government set the rules us mere mortals just follow them. Leave the demi God characters for you TV in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Why is this line continually spouted? Demi Gods horse s**t. The GOVERNMENT want GAA to continue. Why are they allowing it within level 5 if they didn't want it? Or even worse again the Government and NPHET have actually changed the restrictions of level 4 and 5 to ensure the GAA can continue? If you can post a link where the GAA have asked or requested any special exemptions during this pandemic I would love to read it. Government set the rules us mere mortals just follow them. Leave the demi God characters for you TV in the evening.

Did you listen to that interview with the lad from Louth?

Outrageous way to treat amateur players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Zebra3 wrote:
    Did you listen to that interview with the lad from Louth?

Zebra3 wrote:
    Outrageous way to treat amateur players.

Completely. Testing should be regular of every county panel if they want this to continue. Which I believe it shouldn't. Doesn't change that this proceeding is government led and not GAA led.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

These "elite" players are amateurs who all have full time jobs/careers, they are not being tested much or at all. They are not to be confused with professional athletes who are in proper bubbles and are fully engulfed in a testing regime. Laughable really, remember its not that long ago that a very senior GAA officer summoned the Chief medical officer to stand before the GAA and explain himself !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Ah but what about mental health?

For the record I think its an absolure farce that GAA activity is continuing.

great view on it, as crazy as it sounds GAA/sport been on helps with Mental health (certainly does for me anyway)

• Advertisement

“Mental health” in 2020 = whatever I like should be allowed.

Just one big excuse for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Completely. Testing should be regular of every county panel if they want this to continue. Which I believe it shouldn't. Doesn't change that this proceeding is government led and not GAA led.

The GAA has a responsibility to its' players to look after their welfare.

As do all sporting associations.

No hiding behind the guberment on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

PTH2009 wrote: »
    great view on it, as crazy as it sounds GAA/sport been on helps with Mental health (certainly does for me anyway)

Personally, my mental health is better served by minimising the risk of spreading the virus, proper enforcement of the restrictions both of which allow me get back to work and provide for my family and not have to defer payments on my mortgage.

Personally, my mental health is better served by minimising the risk of spreading the virus, proper enforcement of the restrictions both of which allow me get back to work and provide for my family and not have to defer payments on my mortgage.

everyone is different and i hope you all the best in your struggles

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Colm O Rourkes look of disbelief when Claire Byrne informed the country of the latest poll on how the people of this country believed the GAA should deal with their football games showed just how far these people are out of step with the rest of the population and then to spout on about the national game , what about the national health and how many of these players went to work the next day with no testing and maybe the Garda stopping you could have possibly been an inter county player the previous . The GAA have done enough damage and this government still sits back and allows these games to take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

terenc wrote: »
    Colm O Rourkes look of disbelief when Claire Byrne informed the country of the latest referendum on how the people of this country believed the GAA should deal with their football games showed just how far these people are out of step with the rest of the population and then to spout on about the national game , what about the national health and how many of these players went to work the next day with no testing and maybe the Garda stopping you could have possibly been an inter county player the previous . The GAA have done enough damage and this government still sits back and allows these games to take place.

There was a referendum? Really?
    Thought it was just a poll on a TV show, on a channel that has a huge market based around misery/fear/death.

Who knew....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Doesn't change that this proceeding is government led and not GAA led.
    I think it's very much GAA led that their amateur sports people are classified as "elite" sportspeople.

Could you imagine the outcry if Rugby and Football continued (football is just closing out the season at this stage, rather than starting), and GAA was not?

Government led? Give me a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

You only have to see the difference in physique between GAA players who go down under to play AFL professionally and our resident GAA players to see very quickly that GAA players are not truly elite athletes. Bearing in mind the rules are really not too dissimilar with the exception of a tackle in AFL.

No disrespect to GAA players in saying that it just goes to show how much of a superiority complex the GAA has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

The point is: why couldn't Gaelic fans do without it for one year? After all, that's what Britain did with Wimbledon - and also many non-sporting events.

I couldn't give a fook what Britain did and we shouldn't be looking to them on how to handle C19.

Advertisement