Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

There's no money in it for a foreign company to set up to make the stuff here and they already sell as much as they're gonna sell.

GAA stipulate that all official gear has to be made in Ireland.

Scale is the reason that O'Neills can manage it despite the odd Kukri, Azzuri kit.

I don't know why anyone would want a foreign company to make the gear at the expense of job all across the island.

That Kerry jersey was a weird technicality.

The gear was made by Hickey's and "sponsored" by Adidas iirc.

There was a whole schmozzle about it after Millfield went under in 1998.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/the-horan-stand-26184087.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,846 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There's no money in it for a foreign company to set up to make the stuff here and they already sell as much as they're gonna sell.

GAA stipulate that all official gear has to be made in Ireland.

Scale is the reason that O'Neills can manage it despite the odd Kukri, Azzuri kit.

I don't know why anyone would want a foreign company to make the gear at the expense of job all across the island.

That Kerry jersey was a weird technicality.

The gear was made by Hickey's and "sponsored" by Adidas iirc.

There was a whole schmozzle about it after Millfield went under in 1998.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/the-horan-stand-26184087.html

Would that GAA stipulation be legal even ? I’m pro the result and idea that jobs would be continued to be safeguarded here..... but it’s a little draconian and I’d imagine it ‘might’ be illegal.

Imagine the IRFU saying to the provincial teams and the clubs in the country “ lads, if any of you think about signing contracts with Adidas, Canterbury, Nike, Under Armour... your ability to play in the provincial championship and league will be removed, must be O’Neills. That’s dark ages stuff.

I’m no legal expert but can and IS that legal ? Competition law etc ?

How could it possibly be illegal?

If you want to make gear for our private league/championship then they must be made in Ireland.

I don't see how it's in contravention of any competition law. They're a private entity and an do as the wish with their competitions and equipment.

Why is it dark ages stuff to want locally made equipment/kit?

What advantages do you see from Nike or Adidas throwing out templated crap by the bucket load?

---

Your IRFU strawman conflates two different issues also. Think about it.

If you want to make gear for our private league/championship then they must be made in Ireland.

I don't see how it's in contravention of any competition law. They're a private entity and an do as the wish with their competitions and equipment.

What advantages do you see from Nike or Adidas throwing out templated crap by the bucket load?

---

Your IRFU strawman conflates two different issues also.

It’s dark ages because simply people should have a choice.

Should ONeills bring out a new range of boots, should the GAA say to players..... “ lads, everybody playing an intercounty match has to be from today 13/10/20 be wearing o’Neills boots, otherwise the game doesn’t start.”...

2020. Clubs, county, players should have a choice as to what sportswear they can wear. It’s a little right wing for my liking that an organization is saying “ Irish or not playing “... should be illegal.

I was on the phone earlier so couldn't properly respond to you, so I'll start again:
    Strumms wrote: »
    Would that GAA stipulation be legal even ? I’m pro the result and idea that jobs would be continued to be safeguarded here..... but it’s a little draconian and I’d imagine it ‘might’ be illegal.

As I said above, I don't see how it could be illegal for a private organisation to stipulate the wish that all equipment used when playing their games in their competitions confirms to their standards. Seems reasonable to me.

That one of the standards that must be obeyed is that they are made in Ireland Is neither here nor there.
    Imagine the IRFU saying to the provincial teams and the clubs in the country “ lads, if any of you think about signing contracts with Adidas, Canterbury, Nike, Under Armour... your ability to play in the provincial championship and league will be removed, must be O’Neills. That’s dark ages stuff.

You're conflating two things.

There's a difference with the GAA saying that anyone can't sign sponsorship/contracts with other companies and the GAA stipulating that clothing and equipment used in the playing of their competitions is made in ireland by approved companies.

I’m no legal expert but can and IS that legal ? Competition law etc ?

My explanation should suffice to clear up any issue.
    It’s dark ages because simply people should have a choice.

People do have a choice.

1. People can choose to play or not play GAA competitions.

2. Companies can choose to abide by the rules of the competition to which they want to supply team kit or they can't supply it.

The GAA set out rules that companies have to abide by. How that's "dark ages" I don't know.

You do realise that UEFA and FIFA do the same thing?
    Should ONeills bring out a new range of boots, should the GAA say to players..... “ lads, everybody playing an intercounty match has to be from today 13/10/20 be wearing o’Neills boots, otherwise the game doesn’t start.”...

You're getting completely confused here. We've been talking about the supply of kit to GAA teams, not what individual players use for boots.

Incidentally that was (it might still be) a stipulation, but it was unenforceable and unfair on an individual.

The apparent unfairness does not stretch to member clubs and county boards following the rules of the Organisation and being supplied by approved suppliers.
    2020. Clubs, county, players should have a choice as to what sportswear they can wear. It’s a little right wing for my liking that an organization is saying “ Irish or not playing “... should be illegal.

But that doesn't happen at all. I don't know why you think it does.

Do you think when Dublin walk out on the pitch that the players should wear any old kit just to satisfy your concerns?

• Advertisement

---

Your IRFU strawman conflates two different issues also. Think about it.

It’s dark ages carry on because simply people and organizations such as every county board should have a choice.

Should ONeills bring out a new range of boots, should the GAA say to players..... “ lads, everybody playing an intercounty match has to be from today 13/10/20 be wearing o’Neills boots, otherwise the game doesn’t start.”... ?

2020. Clubs, county, players should have a choice as to what sportswear they CAN wear. It is just odd that an organization is saying “ You may only wear kit manufactured here “. It’s a little bit too naziesque for 2020 in what is supposed to be an enlightened country, where people have free will, free choice.

If an organization want to do a deal with O’Neills, Adidas, Nike, New Balance... whoever, they should be of the abilities to talk and strike a deal... without the administrative powers in the game whom because of some traditional loyalty to an ideal or outside manufacturer can manipulate people up and down the country.

It’s dark ages carry on because simply people and organizations such as every county board should have a choice.

Should ONeills bring out a new range of boots, should the GAA say to players..... “ lads, everybody playing an intercounty match has to be from today 13/10/20 be wearing o’Neills boots, otherwise the game doesn’t start.”... ?

2020. Clubs, county, players should have a choice as to what sportswear they CAN wear. It is just odd that an organization is saying “ You may only wear kit manufactured here “. It’s a little bit too naziesque for 2020 in what is supposed to be an enlightened country, where people have free will, free choice.

If an organization want to do a deal with O’Neills, Adidas, Nike, New Balance... whoever, they should be of the abilities to talk and strike a deal... without the administrative powers in the game whom because of some traditional loyalty to an ideal or outside manufacturer can manipulate people up and down the country.

Why did you repeat yourself after I answered this nonsense?

The GAA is the clubs; is the county boards.

I fail to see the issue here with your weird horn for "choice".

I don't think you understand the point that you are trying to make tbh.

I've answered the boots thing. I don't know why you repeated it.

Here you state: "If an organization want to do a deal with O’Neills, Adidas, Nike, New Balance... "

Who is the "ORGANIZATION"? Give me an example.

Why did you repeat yourself after I answered this nonsense?

The GAA is the clubs; is the county boards.

I fail to see the issue here with your weird horn for "choice".

I don't think you understand the point that you are trying to make tbh.

I've answered the boots thing. I don't know why you repeated it.

Here you state: "If an organization want to do a deal with O’Neills, Adidas, Nike, New Balance... "

Who is the "ORGANIZATION"? Give me an example.

Weird horn for “choice” is informed by the sports I’ve been involved in....

Tennis... where Head, Slazenger, Donnay, Nike, Adidas, whatever was ok. People could ‘choose’ whichever manufacturer that they favor.

Soccer... where Adidas, Nike, Puma, Umbro, Diadora ... you name it, people can ‘choose’.

The GAA is an organization, yes :) which the counties are part of.

Jesus Christ

Jesus Christ

Yes, Or Buddha, or Muhammad, see ! A choice ! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think this lockdown is sending people mad entirely!
    The level now is discussing sponsorship.
    I suppose lack of games to go and see could do that.
    And talk of old games and legends exhausted!

https://www.thejournal.ie/6-key-moments-in-the-history-of-gaa-sponsorship-3192933-Jan2017/

It is a long way from 1991 when Dublin were the first team to get a sponsor and it wasn't even Arnotts!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Well I dont like it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭mcgragger

Slattsy wrote: »
    Well I dont like it :(

neither do I.

The 3 lines are like some sort of military insignia and the collar is not required!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

mcgragger wrote: »
    neither do I.

The 3 lines are like some sort of military insignia and the collar is not required!

I like the colour and that its back to the traditional blue and white. Agree about the three lines. Not a fan of the brushed design on the front.

Its just a bit too busy for my liking

• Registered Users Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Wasn't impressed with it when first seen it but looks nice when its on someone so ill have a look in the shops later and see!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Best kit/gear in the country as always (Galway fan)

Might have a look at the family tree to see if I've any relatives from Dublin so I can justify buying one :D

Diarmuid Connolly is/was my favourite footballer so that's a start I suppose :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Dublin should have some navy in the jersey, think it would add to it really

It’s a grand jersey but a bit plain, reminds me more of a training jersey style

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

At least the beach style shorts are gone. Found them horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

I like it. But it should have 5 little Sams embroidered on it like the stars on Leinster jerseys

529349.jpg

Have to say I like it.

Though, we are overdue a navy-sleeved shirt. This would have been a cracker with navy sleeves.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

how it looks on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I still don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I don't usually take much notice of jerseys but the three horizontal lines on the top and shorts is awful imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I like plain jerseys so I like this, old fashioned look. Not too crazy on the three stripes but they're not too bad

If we've finally left the navy sleeves behind for good then I'm happy

Looks a lot better when you see it actually being modeled on somebody.

It would be a cracker of a shirt in my opinion if they’d left those three stripes off the shoulders though. Takes away from what could have been a really nice design turning into a bit of an average one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Had a good look at it there in Elverys

Not a fan of the white fade "Ath Cliath" thing on the front and back. Would look much better without it imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

The last one isn't 3 years old is it? :confused: The new one is alright. Its very light blue. I rather darker kits but my jersey wearing days are behind me lol!

Hopefully they have some nice supporters top available.
    Most of the recent stuff is pure muck. Generic sh*te.

Best Dublin top i ever had was an Umbro!! Not a jersey but a supporters top.
    Have no idea how or where i got it but wish i could get my hand on something like it again...

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    The last one isn't 3 years old is it? :confused: The new one is alright. Its very light blue. I rather darker kits but my jersey wearing days are behind me lol!

Hopefully they have some nice supporters top available.
    Most of the recent stuff is pure muck. Generic sh*te.

Best Dublin top i ever had was an Umbro!! Not a jersey but a supporters top.
    Have no idea how or where i got it but wish i could get my hand on something like it again...

Yeah, the official kit supplier as sanctioned by the Dublin County Board of the GAA have shifted to a 2 year cycle now.

Not a fan of it tbh. But c'est la vie I guess

---

Those umbro shirts were all over the place at one point. I would wager you picked it up in any sports shop or Carroll's.

The last shirt was savagely nice in fairness.

I think maybe this one is going a bit lighter by a shade or two and in fact seeing the outgoing and incoming jersey side by side now that is definitely the case.

Here you can see a good comparison.. https://www.oneills.com/shop-by-team/gaa-county/dublin-gaa.html

There was something bugging me about the new one apart from the shoulders but I couldn’t put my finger on it... look at the fûcking size of the sponsor on the new shirt, completely oversized compared to the ample previously sized sponsor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Yeah, the official kit supplier as sanctioned by the Dublin County Board of the GAA have shifted to a 2 year cycle now.

Not a fan of it tbh. But c'est la vie I guess

---

Those umbro shirts were all over the place at one point. I would wager you picked it up in any sports shop or Carroll's.

2 year bounce on kits will become one...GAA is premiershiping itself:eek:

Not a hope you would you would find that Umbro top in Carrolls. Even doctor google cant find it for me:D

Advertisement