Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fed up with videogames

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,556 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sounds like a wonderful evening. I've only ever met one woman who was into games. By games, I mean proper games and not these microtransaction-riddled cow clicker apps for phones and tablets.

My tastes have evolved. I don't really play shooters any more and never touch the online stuff. I find strategy games to be very engagning and good for the mind though.

I've never understood how Love Island or watching millionaires kick air around a field are more virtuous but we're in a pandemic so I might as well enjoy myself with hobbies and pursuits I actually like.

Yeah I'd be the same as yourself, I don't play any fps shooter games or online games at all anymore and to be honest wouldn't really go near any big AAA titles either. Find a large percentage of them painfully boring. Especially if you've already lived through many years of gaming generations, you've kind of seen most of it before now at this stage.

Have had an Xbox One for about a year and switch it on to play through Resident Evil 4 HD, that was it.

I generally spend most of my gaming time playing older consoles/arcade games or trying to fine tune the hardware that goes with them...either that or an indie title like Spiritfarer on The Switch!

Herself is more into her RPGs. I put together a gaming PC for her birthday so she can play Cyberpunk 2077 when it comes out next month. I'm going to be a PC Gaming widower for quite a while I think :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Everything in moderation; the gym has become a bit of a cop out for a lot of men nowadays. Bloated, stuffing themselves with copious amounts of protein, endless arm exercises; very little cardio.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Maybe you are just **** at Call of Duty OP? No need to explode your impotent rage all over the internet, just switch it off and breathe.

He could always have a relaxing game of bowling with Roman Bellic followed by a trip to Burger Shot for a bleeder burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

Maybe you are just **** at Call of Duty OP? No need to explode your impotent rage all over the internet, just switch it off and breathe.

In fairness to op, there is a serious amount of cod players who camp and spawn trap making it impossible to win without employing the same boring tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Liberalbrehon

Dishonoured is a great game, requires thinking, choices. Probably many other games like that rather than shooting at pixels on screen. Limit hours played. Otherwise do volunteering to get sense of satisfaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Just doesn’t seem right to be letting children into an area where they can be “contacted” by these man-children.

The year is 2020 not 1970. Games are played by over 2 billion people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

There are people who eat hundreds of hotdogs as fast as possible, professionally...

It's a talent in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭KilOit

Older I got the less interested in games I got but strategy games Pull me in every now and again. No interest in online games anymore,, little gems like Rimworld, they are billions and even recently Hades bring me back to why games are still amazing and your taste just changes.

I believe there is a game for everyone out there but they just haven't let themselves go because of stigma or ignorant outdated views on them

Master of the Universe

KilOit wrote: »
    Older I got the less interested in games I got but strategy games Pull me in every now and again. No interest in online games anymore,, little gems like Rimworld, they are billions and even recently Hades bring me back to why games are still amazing and your taste just changes.

I believe there is a game for everyone out there but they just haven't let themselves go because of stigma or ignorant outdated views on them

I know how you feel and I think it's down to the repetition in big title games rather than being jaded with games themselves - I even had that happen when the PS2 came out almost twenty years ago.

Had played Metal Gear solid/Gran Turismo etc on the PS1 and when the sequels came out on the PS2 I just had this sense of 'argh, I've pretty much played these all before!' and stopped playing games for quite a while.

It's even worse now, what's the next MGS game? Six? We're up to 7 now with Gran Turismo? Halo and Gears of War 25? :D

I can totally understand why companies aren't willing to take chances due to the sheer amount of money required to create a modern game - unfortunately it does bore the hell out of people who've seen it all hundreds of times before at this stage. Would definitely turn you off gaming.

I suppose a comparison would be if the only films you could watch are the big Marvel super heroes ones, it would definitely turn you off film. I know it would with me anyway.

Thank feck for indie games is all I can say, last bastion of some originality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,556 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Think OP is being a bit harsh. I like video games, its a good way to relax. I wouldn't be one of those players that lose there minds when they get killed and start screaming and shouting. It is funny when you hear that. But you have to also do other things outside of gaming, I play sports, get out for walks and cycles and usually watch a few episodes of whatever program myself and the wife are watching.

What is needed a new GTA though especially in these lockdown times. Do not under any circumstances install championship manager 00/01, if you do will not just lose a few hours you will lose weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

o1s1n wrote: »
    I know how you feel and I think it's down to the repetition in big title games rather than being jaded with games themselves - I even had that happen when the PS2 came out almost twenty years ago.

Had played Metal Gear solid/Gran Turismo etc on the PS1 and when the sequels came out on the PS2 I just had this sense of 'argh, I've pretty much played these all before!' and stopped playing games for quite a while.

It's even worse now, what's the next MGS game? Six? We're up to 7 now with Gran Turismo? Halo and Gears of War 25? :D

I can totally understand why companies aren't willing to take chances due to the sheer amount of money required to create a modern game - unfortunately it does bore the hell out of people who've seen it all hundreds of times before at this stage. Would definitely turn you off gaming.

I suppose a comparison would be if the only films you could watch are the big Marvel super heroes ones, it would definitely turn you off film. I know it would with me anyway.

Thank feck for indie games is all I can say, last bastion of some originality.

Completely agree. Seeing the same thing trotted out again and again is tiresome, as are the same tropes and padding.

Games are frightfully expensive and labour intensive to make so I suppose publishers are somewhat justified in their paranoia. A triple-A flop is going to be expensive, perhaps ruinously so for medium and smaller firms.

Do you recommend any indie titles? I don't think I've ever played an indie game. Defence Grid and Plants vs Zombies if they count.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Master of the Universe

Completely agree. Seeing the same thing trotted out again and again is tiresome, as are the same tropes and padding.

Games are frightfully expensive and labour intensive to make so I suppose publishers are somewhat justified in their paranoia. A triple-A flop is going to be expensive, perhaps ruinously so for medium and smaller firms.

Do you recommend any indie titles? I don't think I've ever played an indie game. Defence Grid and Plants vs Zombies if they count.

If you haven't given Spiritfarer a go definitely check it out, it's the best game I've played in years. You basically play the character of death ferrying souls across to the afterlife and helping them achieve their final wishes.

Thing is, you really get to know and like the characters and their backstories. When they've completed their last wishes, you then have to bring them on a boat through what's called the 'Everdoor' so they can die.

It's probably the most emotionally gut wrenching game I've ever played and you'd have to be made of absolute stone if it didn't at least give you a lump in your throat - don't let that put you off though, it's incredible.

Doesn't hurt too that the animation and soundtrack are absolutely gorgeous and worth playing for that experience alone!

Not sure if you're into hard as balls metroidvania style games, but Blasphemous and Dead Cells are brilliant too. Completely different game type but once you get over the '****, I've died again!' part and start leveling up they're incredibly compelling.

I also love the Hotline Miami games and just finished both recently, also have incredible soundtracks.

Binding of Isaac is another one that once you get into you'll easily sink 100+ hours into it and wonder where the time went.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

banie01 wrote: »
    Spatial awareness, problem solving, mental agility, hand eye coordination leading funnily enough to improved surgical skills.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17309970/

There's another study I read recently that shows correlation between time spent gaming and reduced surgical errors.

I adore games and gaming, both for myself and for my kids.

They bring you into a whole other place where your mind and senses are engaged to the full throughout in a very positive and beneficial manner.

Obviously theres a balance to be had and gaming should take its place alongside a healthy lifestyle with lots of sports, outdoor activities and reading books etc etc etc

OP seems to have overdosed on games, neglected his educational, career and personal development and now somehow its the games consoles fault??????

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Been gaming for years and will never stop.

50 year old now and looking forward to delivery of new X Box Series X next month.

My Dad is 78 and also plays Xbox.

The industry is bigger than movies.

The idea among many that the games are just running around with dragons or hiding behind boxes is just ignorant.
    The games have real stories, character development, acting and emotional impact.

The kids thing is stupid as so many games are for adults. I wouldn't let kids play any Grand Theft Auto, The Witcher or many others.

It's a proper entertainment medium that people do in their spare time and should not be sneered at by people who watch soaps or pursue other hobbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Pretty sure I would've been lost without video games during the lockdown. I played 3 or 4 nights with my closest friends who I couldn't meet up with in real life - so we kept in contact regularly, had a few drinks while doing so and generally had good craic. Played some games by myself to pass the time which was more enjoyable than what else I would've been doing.

Sure all the missus had to do was watch sh*te cooking programs and endlessly browse social media on the couch. She got fed up of lockdown far quicker than I did. Doesn't sound better than playing games, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

murpho999 wrote: »
    Been gaming for years and will never stop.

50 year old now and looking forward to delivery of new X Box Series next month.

My Dad is 78 and also plays Xbox.

The industry is bigger than movies.

The idea among many that the games are just running around with dragons or hiding behind boxes is just ignorant.
    The games have real stories, character development, acting and emotional impact.

The kids thing is stupid as so many games are for adults. I wouldn't let kids play any Grand Theft Auto, The Witcher or many others.

It's a proper entertainment medium that people do in their spare time and should not be sneered at by people who watch soaps or pursue other hobbies.

Yeah the op is like a time warp from 1998. I say that as a non-gamer; just can't get into anything anymore.

Sounds like a wonderful evening. I've only ever met one woman who was into games. By games, I mean proper games and not these microtransaction-riddled cow clicker apps for phones and tablets.

My tastes have evolved. I don't really play shooters any more and never touch the online stuff. I find strategy games to be very engagning and good for the mind though.

I've never understood how Love Island or watching millionaires kick air around a field are more virtuous but we're in a pandemic so I might as well enjoy myself with hobbies and pursuits I actually like.
    I'm pretty much the same and have never really been into online stuff. Been relaxing to X-Com 2 this week. That's coupled with working and running. Live on my own and tbh, it's never disrupted my life. Sometimes go months without playing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Originally Posted by galway_cowboy

There are people who eat hundreds of hotdogs as fast as possible, professionally.

It's a talent in itself.

It's a talent, sure, but like everything else, it's more than that. It needs practice and dedication, countless hours of concentrated effort. These folks have a lot of guts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm pretty much the same and have never really been into online stuff. Been relaxing to X-Com 2 this week. That's coupled with working and running. Live on my own and tbh, it's never disrupted my life. Sometimes go months without playing etc.

I built my PC about three years ago and X-Com 2 was the first game I played on it. Takes me back as I haven't touched it in ages.

Europa Universalis IV has kept me up a few times but not so much that I'm late for work.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I built my PC about three years ago and X-Com 2 was the first game I played on it. Takes me back as I haven't touched it in ages.

Europa Universalis IV has kept me up a few times but not so much that I'm late for work.

I'd recommend Rimworld and Stellaris if you haven't played them. Both can be picked up pretty cheap for pc and just some examples of really creative games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Gave up in my teens due to the time warp nature of playing them.

12 hours later and 4am wtf, feels like I've only played for 3/4 hours!

What lessons do they teach? That a dragon can be defeated by brewing a special potion? That’s a new one.

I guess this would depend on the game - no?

It is a bit like asking "What lesson has reading a book ever taught you?". Well was it a Mills and Boon book - a childrens fairy tale - a science book - a history book - or what?

Or what lesson did sport ever teach? Well is it a one player sport or a team sport for a start? I imagine the lessons learned from Lawn Bowling and Boxing are quite disparate.

Overall computer games are massively varied and I would guess that things you can learn from them are equally varied and a lot more informative than - say - spending half your time putting 10 pints of Guinness in yourself and the other half of your time telling people who will listen about how you put 10 pints of Guinness into yourself.

But like many things - what you get out of it is proportional to what you put into it. Some games are set against the backdrop of real history for example. Assassin's Creed and Red Dead Redemption are examples of franchises doing this.

Now you _can_ mindlessly play through those games. But you can also learn quite a lot about history and stimulate further learning. Quite a few times I learned things I did not know from those games and disappeared down rabbit holes of researching and learning more about those facts when I learned them.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

I am ten years older than OP,

I have, PS1, PS2, PS3 (all hacked) and PS4 pro all hooked up to TV.

Have Wii (Hacked)

Have original Xbox (hacked)

On hacked PS3 i have retroarch installed, have all ROMS from MAME, NES, Megadrive etc etc installed.

I play each of them from time to time and enjoy them all.

I have time to make music, keep garden, raise family, work day job, keep animals, swim in the sea regular.

Life does not have to exclude gaming to be good, and inclusion of gaming doesnt have to rob you of your life, moderation of everything is the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I've been playing games all my life and I too had the same thought as you once op :p

I'm not exactly proud to say I have played battlefield 3 online for about a 1000 hours since 2011 on Xbox 360 and later Xbox one. You think to yourself the hours spent could have obtained something else. Something real in the real world.

I am at a point now where I don't play multiplayer. It's a waste of time placing a crazy amount of hours in. But I still play games. It's no different than reading a book or watching a movie. Just a hobby.

I am currently playing doom eternal now and it's just an experience. Complete the campaign and I'll probably never go back to it. Just like Doom 2016. But I enjoyed it. Sure I could rewatch the lord of the rings trilogy or some other movie series and waste the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

I've been playing games all my life and I too had the same thought as you once op :p

I'm not exactly proud to say I have played battlefield 3 online for about a 1000 hours since 2011 on Xbox 360 and later Xbox one. You think to yourself the hours spent could have obtained something else. Something real in the real world.

I am at a point now where I don't play multiplayer. It's a waste of time placing a crazy amount of hours in. But I still play games. It's no different than reading a book or watching a movie. Just a hobby.

I am currently playing doom eternal now and it's just an experience. Complete the campaign and I'll probably never go back to it. Just like Doom 2016. But I enjoyed it. Sure I could rewatch the lord of the rings trilogy or some other movie series and waste the same time.

Having read this thread, I think everyone has that moment "what am i at, this is a bit pointless". Mine came playing FIFA online a few years ago. Dont see the point of investing so much time on it. I now almost exclusively play offline. Currently playing golf (cant remember the exact name) and re playing GTA5.

The arguement of "i have wasted 1000 hours etc" in my eyes are baseless. If you have no job/studies then yea, it might need to be looked at BUT if you spend a few hours of an evening after work or college I see no issue especially if it is your only hobby. I play golf (pre covid) a round or two a week thats 8 to 10 hours a week. That is essentially wasted time - where i could have "got something in the real world".....my point is relaxing or unwinding in this current environment is essential.If you do that by reading,gaming,singing,walking,painting, collecting etc it makes 0 difference.

To the op, if it is an issue then you are doing the right thing. If you have just had a realisation that there are better ways to spend your time then thats fine too! But If you enjoy gaming then there is no reason not to enjoy it. Even moreso if it helps with mental health. I use it occassionally just to switch off. mindless fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I find it a better alternative to just sitting in front of the tv at night, at least my brains a bit more engaged and I'm catching up with friends having a laugh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

GarIT wrote: »
    Problem solving, maths, physics, in some cases comprehension.

Building xor circuits and functioning computers in minecraft is on a whole other level and all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Playing COD causes OCD.

I'd recommend Rimworld and Stellaris if you haven't played them. Both can be picked up pretty cheap for pc and just some examples of really creative games.

Never heard of Rimworld but I do love the Paradox titles so I'll likely try Stellaris if you think it's worth a look. I own most of it already.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Building xor circuits and functioning computers in minecraft is on a whole other level and all

Kerbal Space Program is recommended by Nasa, it's really educational.
    Never heard of Rimworld but I do love the Paradox titles so I'll likely try Stellaris if you think it's worth a look. I own most of it already.

I'm subscribed to the humble bundle so get a monthly onslaught of games I'll play eventually.

Advertisement