Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fed up with videogames

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

When you are older you realise time is limited, you have only time to play certain high quality games that you really like and find interesting or different .
    like i have no interest in watching reality tv or basic tv crime cop shows i I i would not buy any game before i read a review or watch a video on youtube .
    For every good game theres another 30 similar games that copy that style
    or that type of game, i like playing games like fallout 4 where theres a wide range of characters to talk to and there is some kind of story line to follow rather than just shoot every enemy and pick up a new upgrade or a new weapon in the next level.
    i ,ll buy cod for 20 euro preowned and play through the campaign ,
    i dont play online fps games .

• Registered Users Posts: 51,496 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Just to double check, you've never played anything on your phone, never played Mine Sweeper or Pinball on Windows PC's, never played an arcade game in the 'Arcade' while on holidays, never played one of those interactive stories on a computer where you pick the next step (that's a game too). Gaming doesn't have to be done on a PC or console, there are people out there who say they don't play games but will spend hours on Candy Crush or some other clicker or pointless App based games.

Edit: Never played Snake on a Nokia? Pretty sure it's the law you have to try it at least once...

Correct. I’ve never played any games on my phone or computer. Wouldn’t even know how to find them. Not good with technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

May I suggest going out tomorrow, pick a few magic mushrooms (they're in season) and re-evaluate your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 comedown

I'm having a breakdown.

I was playing CoD and just had a wave of shame and embarrassment come over me. What the hell am I doing? I’m 32 years old, and I spend my nights shooting an imaginary pixel across the screen to prove I have faster hand eye coordination than some ****ing 12 year old kid across the country. What’s the ****ing point? It feels like I’m consooming some opiate of the masses bull****. Every game another $60. Every PS+ subscription another $20. Every new console another $400. When does it end? And the hours. I don’t even want to think about the hours poured into this various bull****. I’m a grown man and I ****ing spent 100 hours larping as an 19th century cowboy in Red Dead. What in the actual ****? Imagine if I had spent those hours in the gym or getting my degree.

The more I think about videogames the more I realize this is just some corporate bull**** designed to keep man complacent and fixated on spending money. No wonder kids today are always bitching about mental health nowadays. You can’t live up to your true self when you spend your nights pretending to be some ****ing dwarf with a sword that casts spells.

The current obsession with being "productive" is imported yank nonsense peddled by the "we out here grindin'" influencer brigade, and far more damaging to people's mental health IMO.
    Video games are just another hobby. If it's not fun anymore, that's OK - plenty of other hobbies out there.
    Just don't feel you HAVE to spend those hours in a gym/work/study etc.
    Fair point about games/consoles etc being a rob. Always been the case.

I only play Nintendo, Nintendo brings the fun I don’t like PlayStation or Xbox there all doom and gloom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

comedown wrote: »
    The current obsession with being "productive" is imported yank nonsense peddled by the "we out here grindin'" influencer brigade, and far more damaging to people's mental health IMO.
    Video games are just another hobby. If it's not fun anymore, that's OK - plenty of other hobbies out there.
    Just don't feel you HAVE to spend those hours in a gym/work/study etc.
    Fair point about games/consoles etc being a rob. Always been the case.

I agree with the most of your post, this having to be constantly doing something 'productive' is a sham and causes far more problems imo, people can't/have forgotten how to relax. At the end of the day, no matter who you are, you're replaceable. People forget that, the company really doesn't care about you.

But the last line I disagree with. I bought a launch PS4 and upgraded to the PS4 Pro at some point. On average, about €800 spent between the 2 of them (if not slightly more). So that has given me something to allow me to play games for the last 7 years. That's a good investment in fairness.

Then you have the likes of The Witcher 3, Fallout series, Elder Scrolls, etc. If they're your type of games, you can get hundreds of hours out of each one for a measly €70 (on release). That's excellent value for money, when you consider a cinema trip is €10 for ~2 hours.

But there are also games out there not worth the cost, and same as everything else, some of it is value for money, others aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

comedown wrote: »
    The current obsession with being "productive" is imported yank nonsense

There is far, far, too much Yank nonsense imported this side of the pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I only play Nintendo, Nintendo brings the fun I don’t like PlayStation or Xbox there all doom and gloom.

I love my PlayStation 4 but Nintendo definitely make better games than everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭pah

At the end of the day, no matter who you are, you're replaceable. People forget that, the company really doesn't care about you.

Only a number my fellow number bearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Exactly. I've copped onto the fact that probably only 0.01% of people actually get somewhere with all that hard work and dedication. I just can't. I'm happy to be one of the a-job-is-just-a-job people. I tried promotion in the last job, didn't suit me, so I'm happy to stay where I am right now, I appear to be eligible for a bonus every year, which also affects the base wage so I don't need a promotion. And as such, I don't need to go above and beyond what's expected, which is great. I'm only here for the money people, so I can buy more games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Well that is silly. First of all yes don't play every night, limit yourself to only a few times per week. Second of all you sure as hell dont have to pay full price for every game, trade in deals at CEX for example have saved me countless amounts of money. Thirdly, yes there might be little value to multiplayer shooters, but plenty of games are artistic mastpieces that you can enjoy as any other great art, from the history and open world exploration of Assasins Creed to the mythological tales of God of War, or just the creativity of Final Fantasy etc etc there is absolutely nothing you lose by immersing yourself in such games rather than spending free time at the pub or watching tv or whatever.

By moderation and playing the right games for the right reasons you will be perfectly alright. Be smart and avoid the industry making you into their personal bank, but the same can be said about any other industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I wonder how certain posters here feel about women who play video games.

Yes, there are women who play them. To suggest otherwise would be sexist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The self described harcore "gamers" tend to be a bit misogynistic.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

What lessons do they teach?

How to dress like a real man.

Leisure suit Larry.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

I'm having a breakdown.

I was playing CoD and just had a wave of shame and embarrassment come over me. What the hell am I doing? I’m 32 years old, and I spend my nights shooting an imaginary pixel across the screen to prove I have faster hand eye coordination than some ****ing 12 year old kid across the country. What’s the ****ing point? It feels like I’m consooming some opiate of the masses bull****. Every game another $60. Every PS+ subscription another $20. Every new console another $400. When does it end? And the hours. I don’t even want to think about the hours poured into this various bull****. I’m a grown man and I ****ing spent 100 hours larping as an 19th century cowboy in Red Dead. What in the actual ****? Imagine if I had spent those hours in the gym or getting my degree.

The more I think about videogames the more I realize this is just some corporate bull**** designed to keep man complacent and fixated on spending money. No wonder kids today are always bitching about mental health nowadays. You can’t live up to your true self when you spend your nights pretending to be some ****ing dwarf with a sword that casts spells.

Relax and stop beating yourself up about this . The feeling is normal for many a 30 plus year old who spent a lot of the early and late 1990s and most of the 2000s being surrounded by PS 1,2,3 and 4 ; various Nintendo’s , x box etc

You have played them all and what’s left ? Probably not a lot . The PS4 selection / variety of games has been poor compared to ps3 (selection and variety not quality ) or even Ps2

Then like all you got duped into spending money on endless editions of call of duty , fifa , pes and feeling short changed - been there done that

You are just getting to an age where enough is enough for you

Yes , by all means focus on physical exercise . College ? You can always go back . There’s absolutely no harm in spending free time occasionally playing computers . Just mix it up a bit and make sure you maintain a social life

Sometimes it’s them and not you - sometimes you don’t want to be stuck in the smoking area of the pub all night and your pals whining about something small or you spend half the night rowing with a girlfriend / potential girlfriend etc . Not everyone is having the time of their life despite what their FB page says . Work life can be a pain of working with dishonest and or incompetent people - so you need something to fall back on to enjoy yourself - for you it’s computers

Game’s a clearly made and marketed for people of all ages , and especially for those who grew up during the console boom of the late 1990-early 2000s who would now be in their 30s . Earlier than that consoles were seen as a geeks thing thm It became cool and now it probably back to being a geek thing

Do what’s best for you - but yes , cutting down on the hours would be wise - gonna be hard however in lock down

No point crying about what you could have done - we all do that - it achieves little . You can always do something about it now and in the future

Personally I liked the auld consoles but wasn’t too big on it . Sega, game boy and all the playstations . And yes , I have done the 12-13 hours stints of eg Pes my be a pro , some RPG games and of course lol , CHAMPIONSHIP MANAGER for the PC (every football fan was doing it during the early 2000s- loss of YouTube clips of people taking it way too seriously) always avoiding online play - not worth it for me

Got the PS4 a few years ago , bought very little bar the odd Fifa , Pes, nba 2K and the assaissins creeds, GTA and red dead - nice way to spend Christmas when not watching the horse racing or - boozing

1 Won’t /hope not / can’t see myself forking out money for ps5 - too busy now even if I wanted too. Also got other interests like cycling keeping fit etc

Try not to put yourself down . It’s a normal phase you are going through

o1s1n wrote: »
    Poor dude, my condolences to him.

This evening I spent playing Metal Slug on one of my arcade machines while my wife played Mass Effect on her PC.

We then both played a bit of Spiritfarer on the Switch together.

Not a lot else to be doing with all these lockdowns as of late, let people do what they find fun.

Your wife allowed you to spend quality time gaming ? You lucky lucky man

I can never understand the idea that you are meant to stop playing games at a certain age.

How is any different to reading or watching a film or anything else.

If you like watching football or playing a game what difference does it make. Why do people have to be so judgemental.

If you like it just do it unless it's getting in the way of doing other things.

Whether one is meant to or not , by the time you start working long hours / being responsible for teams or a business , kids , wife ... it’s extremely hard to keep up the auld gaming .

Christmas is a good time to give the console a blast but most of the year some people are just too tired

Most of us born in the 1980s and 1990s were born to the console generation . Developers didn’t forget about that large group of people in the 2010s when making games . They are clearly marketed for them as much as they are for the teenagers of today

Nothing wrong with gaming . Just do it in moderation and personally my opinion , stay off the online stuff - take can get too serious and competitive and can get nasty

It is a bit sad that we didn’t spend enough time outside playing football - jumpers for goal posts (nice , marvellous) like the kids of the 1970s but they had nothing else to do

but then, many of us were already playing sports for clubs, school and colleges and some of the really talented people were also playing for county or country or province so that was more than enough of that .

You are absolutely right though . No different to reading a book or watching a film - **** those who judge

Personally , the women make me laugh. What do they do in their free time (that lack of it many of us have today lol) watching soaps and Hollywood gossip while bitching to their pals , getting dressed up for the gym with some laughable excuse of a work routine and spending most of that time taking selfies of themselves and their ****ing lunch (okay a bit generalised intentionally)

Your wife allowed you to spend quality time gaming ? You lucky lucky man

I'd say he knew that before he married her.

Make your own luck :cool:

limnam wrote: »
    I'd say he knew that before he married her.

Make your own luck :cool:

Women change once they marry - the horror ! The horror ! 🤣🤪

Women change once they marry - the horror ! The horror ! 🤣🤪

Sounds like the only thing this one will be changing is cartridges :pac:

• Advertisement

I've never owned a console. PC all the way for me.

Just had a look at my Steam account for play time:

Currently installed.
    Crusader Kings 3: 92 hours.
    Hearts of Iron 3: 900 hours.
    Hearts of Iron 4: 1098 hours.
    Stellaris: 381 hours.
    Imperator Rome: 291 hours.
    Rimworld: 280 hours.
    XCOM: 264 hours.
    Shogun 2 Total war: 407 hours.
    Supreme Commander: 270 hours.

I could go on, and there's likely another 10,000 hours spread over other games which aren't currently installed, and I've had that steam account for well over a decade.

People have different interests. My careers/jobs have always been quite social, so I value the time to play games because it gives me a rest/downtime from other people. And just for those who declare that it's a colossal waste of time, while I'm playing many of these games, I'm thinking of other things, which leads to inspiration for other activities. I've written/published three books now, and I'd say a large part of the thought process happened while I was also playing a strategy game.

We're individuals... just because your thought process is different from mine, doesn't make it any more superior. I've no interest in Sports, but my lack of interest in that doesn't mean that I think you're wasting your time watching, following teams, or playing with your friends. Each to their own. I've never really understand this need to cast judgment over other peoples activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Rothko wrote:
    Yes, there are women who play them. To suggest otherwise would be sexist.

It's normal enough now that most people don't make the distinction any more.

Advertisement