Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fed up with videogames

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

I'm 38 and still play games. I don't care bout my age my reaction times are faster then some 21 year olds. if you can play cod maybe concentrate on single player games...

OP Lookit,

Go in to Facebook and start a live stream.
    Make sure audio and webcam are enabled.
    Do your very best "ANGRY MAN" all about how poor the video game industry is....

Have Wii (Hacked)

In spite of Nintendo and stating they don't give a full about it anymore having walked away, the Wii is clearly experiencing a resurgence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Theres a wide range of games ,mario maker ,minecraft ,you can now make your own games .i like to go back and play single player games like metal gear 2 ,bioshock, mass effect 2.
    They have great storys and voice acting .you cant just play the game at your own pace.
    theres no competition to rank up, or get the latest weapon skin or trophy.
    why doe s the switch sell millions , you can play simple games on it,in handheld mode
    While watching tv on the couch or talking to someone else .
    how many hours do people spend watching sport on tv, or reality tv
    or soap opera,s .playing video games is a hobby, it does not have an endgame .its not like i played the guitar for 500 hours ,now i can join a rock band or work as a musician .
    there may be a problem if playing cod or fortnite online is your only hobby
    or you only way of interacting with people .

theres a new COD game every year , you start at zero.

No one cares if you got all the trophys on call of duty from 2 years ago.
    so playing pubg or cod online is pointless unless you enjoy playing with friends in a squad

I think games like assassins creed can be educational in that they place you
    in real places rome paris london in 1800 that you may never be able to visit in real life .
    in a video game you can walk around victorian london or ancient rome and go where you want ,it gives you some insight how people lived hundreds of years ago

i think in 10 years time they will be a sony tv/console .
    you ,ll watch tv, surf the web, and it,ll be as powerful as a ps5 you,ll be able to play games on it , no need to buy a new console .
    or you,ll buy an N-TV, use it as a tv ,or download and play any nintendo game ever released on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Fair play, OP, giving up video games is a sign of growing up. When my hubby moved in with me I made sure he threw away all of his PlayStation and FIFA consoles. Leave children’s toys to children.

I'd say you've no problem sitting down in front of a television and watching mindless dogsh1t though...

Each to their own OP. I play games, always have and always will but its not the be all and end all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭magic17

Nothing wrong with playing video games and I'd imagine it will become common for a lot of 30 and 40 year olds to be playing somewhat regularly in the future. It's a great hobby as long as it doesn't consume your life. Having a balance is key. I usually play about 1 hour a night and find it great for unwinding after a long day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Man, there are some people who play Fortnite professionally.

I had this sudden bizarre urge to play Fortnite recently, went back and played a few games, enjoyed it.

Not so much this week. Something about the idea of being stuck on an island where you're on your own, everyone is fighting each other, with rapidly increasing restrictions on where you can go, is less appealing for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Man, there are some people who play Fortnite professionally.

Dude there are people making millions of euros playing Fortnite professionally.

There are people who make their living COACHING people on how to get good at Fortnite.

To be clear Fortnite is an overwhelmingly kid game. People shouldn't use Fortnite as an indicator of the age profile of videogame players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Dara O’Briain spoke about this particular topic, ‘tis very good

https://youtu.be/yKIiUsbOO24

• Registered Users Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

People take the whole gaming thing way too seriously. I was playing gta a few days ago, some 11 or 12 year old was giving me the absolute height of abuse like telling me to kill myself etc because he went into a store and I parked a car at door so he couldn't get out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

It's a sign of great immaturity if you judge someone for playing video games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

What lessons do they teach? That a dragon can be defeated by brewing a special potion? That’s a new one.

Everybody's knows you've got to hike to the top of a mystical mountain and be trained by an order of martial monks in the ancient dragon language before you can even contlepate defeating a dragon. :)

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

PsychoPete wrote: »
    People take the whole gaming thing way too seriously. I was playing gta a few days ago, some 11 or 12 year old was giving me the absolute height of abuse like tiling me to kill myself etc because he went into a store and I parked a car at door so he couldn't get out

If it’s one thing I’d love to see change in the coming years it’s that type of ****ing ****head kid banned from 18’s + games. There should be an automatic banning system done by voice chat so once they open their mouth it’s bye bye. 18s games are adults only and it would be nice to play them without hearing Timmy Mcscrote and his **** music or comments about fag this and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Rothko wrote: »
    It's a sign of great immaturity if you judge someone for playing video games.

No one is “judging” the children, R.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If it’s one thing I’d love to see change in the coming years it’s that type of ****ing ****head kid banned from 18’s + games. There should be an automatic banning system done by voice chat so once they open their mouth it’s bye bye. 18s games are adults only and it would be nice to play them without hearing Timmy Mcscrote and his **** music or comments about fag this and that.

That sort of thing has no effect on me anyway, so I just kept killing him till he rage quit. I'd agree with you it's pretty annoying. I only find it bad with GTA and COD

• Registered Users Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I don't for a single second believe the OP. They haven't replied so most likely still playing CoD right now. But obvious troll aside...

I think it's amazing all these people who play soccer instead of gaming, the tv is flooded with all these amazing weekend players taking on Messi and Co. Point being, most people who criticise gamers are usually the ones who are into watching the soccer with "the lads", downing poison and shouting at millionaires as if they could do better themselves. They might also play some sport, but imo they're not going to be making money for it (for 99% of people who do play). I wouldn't class that as improving your life.

And the same can be said of any hobby that doesn't make money. People do it because it interests them and they like doing it. I don't know anyone who does a hobby or past time and doesn't like it, makes no sense. I love gaming, if you haven't been following my previous posts. It's my favourite thing to do. I'm 37. I also live at home with the parents, so make sure you judge me! People love to judge on here (myself included at times). Let's not take on that I have a full time job, pay my own way, help out with the parents needs. Granted, I don't have a huge social circle (I have lots of 'friends' on Facebook) and the people I (used to) visit is well below 20. But I'm happy, happier than when I tried to be the 'normal' adult male.

Do what you like and enjoy, and as long as it doesn't affect anyone else, ta feck with anyone else. Also, @the poster who 'made' her husband throw away everything gaming related, tell your husband I feel sorry for him. What did you give up in order to enter the next phase of the relationship? Or maybe he didn't ask you to give up anything... Like others, I've had dropped you quicker than a hot snot if you said that to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,496 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Am I the only one who hasn’t a clue about this subject and who had never played video games?

We must have hurt the OP'sfeelings so much that they haven't posted again.

There's some people I watch on twitch. com
    I just watch them talk while they play games
    It's entertaining and relaxing like watching a TV show
    1000,s of people make a living just playing games online and streaming
    They get donations from fans or followers they talk and play the game live on stream
    I think alot of people buy violent games like red dead redemption. GTA5 for their kids young teens play those games even though they are rated 18
    with scenes of extreme violence
    Gaming is just a hobby like watching TV or watch a soccer match
    It' can be a problem if its your only hobby and you avoid going out or meeting friends in order to play call of duty online or finish off a single player game
    It's just a hobby no one watches soocer on tv and says I'm gonna be a professional soccer player
    Games can be social eg you can play fifa or Mario kart with friends or family
    members in the same room

• Registered Users Posts: 15,574 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Video games. I used to love them and have had playstation, X-Boxs even Nintendo consoles and handhelds but after a while you realise it's all just the same xhit over and over with very little new. It's new generation is just a new way go take your hard earned money and then time when you play the game. They just make you think it's new by making it look better a bi my like T.V now and the bul**** about HD and whatever is next. Feck that SD is the best you can't beat it. I used to play but just have not been arsed to in years. I never really got the online stuff at all. Done nothing for me. The best machine was rather Nintendo Wii although the Cube was great too. I regret selling my Wii but just did not have the time or space to play it. Still have my Cube do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Am I the only one who hasn’t a clue about this subject and who had never played video games?

Just to double check, you've never played anything on your phone, never played Mine Sweeper or Pinball on Windows PC's, never played an arcade game in the 'Arcade' while on holidays, never played one of those interactive stories on a computer where you pick the next step (that's a game too). Gaming doesn't have to be done on a PC or console, there are people out there who say they don't play games but will spend hours on Candy Crush or some other clicker or pointless App based games.

Edit: Never played Snake on a Nokia? Pretty sure it's the law you have to try it at least once...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

PsychoPete wrote: »
    People take the whole gaming thing way too seriously. I was playing gta a few days ago, some 11 or 12 year old was giving me the absolute height of abuse like tiling me to kill myself etc because he went into a store and I parked a car at door so he couldn't get out

He probably wasn't even wearing a mask

AMKC wrote: »
    I used to love them and have had playstation, X-Boxs even Nintendo consoles and handhelds but after a while you realise it's all just the same xhit over and over with very little new.

The same can be said about television and movies too.

I think the trick for me is I am a very rare gamer. I choose what to play very carefully and then immerse myself in it completely. Usually if you look up the "average hours" of a given game - I take 3 or 4 times longer.

So it is very hard to get to the stage of it all feeling very repetitive or recycled. I am holding out now for the new Cyberpunk game. The main story of that game is estimated at 40 hours. And with around 75 side quests estimated - I probably will take 250 or 350 hours for it and won't need another game until summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

"consooming"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If gaming doesn't suit people, that's fair enough, but there are going to be a lot of us who are not going to agree with the OP's thoughts. This is because their own circumstances are not going to be equally applied to everyone who takes part in this hobby. These circumstances can be good or bad for anyone.

On the argument that gaming can be educational & worthwhile in the long term. There are a lot of benefits to this argument.

I have read a few blog posts online of a few people who have gone on to play truck simulators on Steam in the early stages of their gaming hobbies. Over a period of time; these gamers who had invested their young lives into this hobby with live streaming their efforts online then went onto set up their own haulage delivery business in real life. What I am saying is that these guys, who live in various parts of the world, had basically taken on the initiative to buy a fleet of trucks to run a haulage delivery business so they can work in a job that they love while earning some decent money out of it to keep their roof over their heads.

SCS Software who had released these posts on their online blog were delighted to see them work in an industry that they love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Have to laugh at the Ops original assertion of “see you in the gym”. No you won’t, you won’t even be going to the gym by the end of this month. Go back to COD and git gud :D

90 per cent of tv movies are average and hardly worth watching .
    i mainly play single player game,s ,like uncharted, bioshock, metal gear 2,last of us ,games with a good story and high quality voice acting.Even an old game like enslaved ,on the 360.
    it had a story full of action with a great script,
    it had a very dramatic ending , the story was better than most of the programs and watch on tv.it was not cliched or predictable in any way.
    theres a wide range of games on the market,
    sports games, games to sing and play guitar along with classic rock songs.
    Older people may think games are just GTA or call of duty or fifa soccer
    or mario bros.
    Alot of people play games online ,you can play fortnite, its free , and you can talk to a friend at the same time.
    So to some extent its a social activity .
    3 or 4 people can play games at the same time .
    if i find a good game like bioshock i ,ll play it and explore every room,
    pick up every item, listen to all the voice overs .
    and i take it slow as i listen to the story unfold.

i also watch people like dexbonus play games on youtube i would never bother to play
    as she is very funny and entertaining and puts on a funny voice for each
    character .
    so its like watching a comedy show

• Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The older I get the more interest I lose in video games.

Because you're realising that most of them are just crap or are lacking in some way that takes the entertainment value out of them.

But that is the same for all entertainment media.

When you have an enormous amount of something produced, it's a natural knockoff that the majority of it will be below average fare and eventually you begin to lose interest, because searching out the diamonds in the rough isn't worth the effort you once put in.

Thing is, the OP isn't growing up. He's just growing tired. And that's bound to happen with anyone who saturates themselves with anything, whether that's books, movies, sport, games, work, etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

and who had never played video games?

You should rectify that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

KilOit wrote: »
    Older I got the less interested in games I got but strategy games Pull me in every now and again. No interest in online games anymore,, little gems like Rimworld, they are billions and even recently Hades bring me back to why games are still amazing and your taste just changes.

I believe there is a game for everyone out there but they just haven't let themselves go because of stigma or ignorant outdated views on them

Exactly.

The majority of games I'll sit down to these days are things like 'Total War' and I could be months playing a campaign.

Something like 'Call of Duty', I'd never spend money on and purely online games are usually a cesspool. In fact the only one I go near is 'DayZ' and even that's fairly limited with regards to actually meeting other people. But I have sort of developed an interest in 'Fallout 76' for some reason.

Thing is, most games today just don't enthuse me. I just finished 'Call of Cthulhu' last night after a few nights play. I thought it was a game where I'd have to investigate my way through a HP Lovecraft type story. But it turned out to be completely on the rails and held the players hand the entire way through, thus killing any actual investigative angle that the game promised in the first place, rendering it a waste of time, largely, for someone like me.

But I find that a lot of games are like that today, which I firmly put down to the console generation's influence on the games industry, where games in general have been vastly dumbed down in a effort to appeal to as broad an audience as possible.

Advertisement