Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fed up with videogames

Options
  • 14-10-2020 10:07pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1

I'm having a breakdown.

I was playing CoD and just had a wave of shame and embarrassment come over me. What the hell am I doing? I’m 32 years old, and I spend my nights shooting an imaginary pixel across the screen to prove I have faster hand eye coordination than some ****ing 12 year old kid across the country. What’s the ****ing point? It feels like I’m consooming some opiate of the masses bull****. Every game another $60. Every PS+ subscription another $20. Every new console another $400. When does it end? And the hours. I don’t even want to think about the hours poured into this various bull****. I’m a grown man and I ****ing spent 100 hours larping as an 19th century cowboy in Red Dead. What in the actual ****? Imagine if I had spent those hours in the gym or getting my degree.

The more I think about videogames the more I realize this is just some corporate bull**** designed to keep man complacent and fixated on spending money. No wonder kids today are always bitching about mental health nowadays. You can’t live up to your true self when you spend your nights pretending to be some ****ing dwarf with a sword that casts spells.

Comments

Fair play..

Probably terribly addictive though..best of luck trying to stay away from them..

Complete waste of time..

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Call of Duty is mindless nonsense, epic fail bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I’ll see you ****ers at the gym. Hope you join me.

Race you there!

QWOP_screenshot.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭blackbox

Did you not enjoy it?

You could have been playing football or snooker or golf. Would that have been any less a waste of time?

Video games are not for me, but each to his own...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Everything is good in moderation.

Sounds to me like you went whole hog on gaming without balancing it with other hobbies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

Be like other grown men - watch some men kick a ball on TV and pretend you're somehow involved in that endeavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Move to PC. Its a new experience and games can be got much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Fair play, OP, giving up video games is a sign of growing up. When my hubby moved in with me I made sure he threw away all of his PlayStation and FIFA consoles. Leave children’s toys to children. ;):D

Poor dude, my condolences to him.

This evening I spent playing Metal Slug on one of my arcade machines while my wife played Mass Effect on her PC.

We then both played a bit of Spiritfarer on the Switch together.

Not a lot else to be doing with all these lockdowns as of late, let people do what they find fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

When my hubby moved in with me I made sure he threw away all of his PlayStation and FIFA consoles. Leave children’s toys to children. ;):D

You would be given the gates from my gaff if you attempted such nonsense.... :)

Trying to change someone because you don't approve of their hobby?

That's a bit much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

Fieldog wrote: »
    You would be given the gates from my gaff if you attempted such nonsense.... :)

Trying to change someone because you don't approve of their hobby?

That's a bit much!

Before covid I was working on the road, away from home for days on end while my hubby stayed behind to look after the kids. I could hardly expect him to keep an eye on them if he was running around jumping into boxes and shooting robots with Mario! He’ll be able to play a few games again when the kids start playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

*Mod Snip*

Who cares if someone plays games, watches sport, always does what their wife tells them etc etc. It's no one else's business. Also what's with the judging? What about the gamers that could kick a ball? We don't live in some 80s American teen movie where's it's jocks Vs nerds..!

Op, sounds like your spending too much time online, good call to give it up at least for a bit, but don't beat yourself over it. It's as valid a form of entertainment I guess as anything else that can be consumed (films, TV, replying to shyte on boards.ie and yes even premier football on sky etc).

Just don't make it your whole life!

Edit: this reply no longer makes sense since the post I quoted has been 'snipped'.

km991148 wrote: »
    Who cares if someone plays games, watches sport, always does what their wife tells them etc etc. It's no one else's business. Also what's with the judging? What about the gamers that could kick a ball? We don't live in some 80s American teen movie where's it's jocks Vs nerds..!

Op, sounds like your spending too much time online, good call to give it up at least for a bit, but don't beat yourself over it. It's as valid a form of entertainment I guess as anything else that can be consumed (films, TV, replying to shyte on boards.ie and yes even premier football on sky etc).

Just don't make it your whole life!

Well I was speaking to the poster who commented about watching people chasing a ball around like it had any relevance to what people are talking about.

That argument can always be summed up thusly: “to each their own, I respect everyone’s desire to engage in whatever pastime they care to without judgement. Also I think watching sports is stupid and showering together afterwards is gay lol”

Usually the kind of argument brought forward by people who were bullied in school for being crap at sport and never got over it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Nothing wrong with playing games

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

It's easy to get lost in games as a coping mechanism.

Great that you've noticed that is become a problem for you. But also be careful of going to far in the other direction.

Any hobbies that bring someone joy are valid. And if they are making you happy then it's not wasted time for the most part.

At the end of the day, like everything else, it's about balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

I think a dwarf would have an axe. More so than having a sword or casting spells.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ekerot

I think the view that "Video Games are for children" is horribly long past it's sell by date at this stage.

Well I was speaking to the poster who commented about watching people chasing a ball around like it had any relevance to what people are talking about.

That argument can always be summed up thusly: “to each their own, I respect everyone’s desire to engage in whatever pastime they care to without judgement. Also I think watching sports is stupid and showering together afterwards is gay lol”

Usually the kind of argument brought forward by people who were bullied in school for being crap at sport and never got over it.

I'm with you, sort of, up until the last point tho..

Mocking gamers is no different to mocking those that watch or or play sport. But on top of that, it's not like they are mutually exclusive. I don't think the ones that do game are any more childish than people watching certain genre of films or TV. It's kinda an outdated and bit of a snooty attitude..

But like my previous comment.. Judging others is none of my business either :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I can never understand the idea that you are meant to stop playing games at a certain age.

How is any different to reading or watching a film or anything else.

If you like watching football or playing a game what difference does it make. Why do people have to be so judgemental.

If you like it just do it unless it's getting in the way of doing other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭smck321

You're likely playing the wrong games. They're not just entertainment they can teach lessons if done right though few achieve that. They're just a different medium to movies, books and Tv. No less important just different.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

smck321 wrote: »
    You're likely playing the wrong games. They're not just entertainment they can teach lessons if done right though few achieve that. They're just a different medium to movies, books and Tv. No less important just different.

What lessons do they teach? That a dragon can be defeated by brewing a special potion? That’s a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You respect everyone's pastime without judgement but say their hobbies are for children?

Don't be trying to act all high and mighty now, you have shown the type of person you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Little Miss Fairy

You are not on your own! I've no experience of video games but I overdosed on Netflix during the Lockdown. Don't be too hard on yourself ... there's worse things you could be doing. ATB

What lessons do they teach? That’s a new one.

Meavis Beacon Teaches Typing.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ekerot

Well showering together unless it's your SO is pretty gay honestly, don't know how that helps your point. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

Nexytus wrote: »
    I think a dwarf would have an axe. More so than having a sword or casting spells.

Could be a dwarf mage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Any minute now the usual suspect will be here harping on about how games potentially ruined his/their would be man kids but they are grand now and basically any man who plays games must be some kind of socially awkward waster who moonlights as an incel also.

EDIT: Yup like clockwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

What lessons do they teach? That’s a new one.

Spatial awareness, problem solving, mental agility, hand eye coordination leading funnily enough to improved surgical skills.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17309970/

There's another study I read recently that shows correlation between time spent gaming and reduced surgical errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

What lessons do they teach? That a dragon can be defeated by brewing a special potion? That’s a new one.

Problem solving, maths, physics, in some cases comprehension.

You are not on your own! I've no experience of video games but I overdosed on Netflix during the Lockdown. Don't be too hard on yourself ... there's worse things you could be doing. ATB

Absolutely, the amount of people I know that turned into conspiracy nuts (for example) during lockdown.. that's scary.. if lockdown returns, stay away from the internet folks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Switch to Battlefield IV or One, problem solved. COD is sh1te.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Advertisement