Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The 6 pack brioche hot dog buns are still there. I can see a post 11months ago and they were gone, so hopefully they stay as standard now, there were plenty there.

The jarred aldi hot dogs fit them fine, I have also been putting 2-3 chicken nuggets in them with some lettuce. I put nuggets in the burger buns too but they are trickier to handle and fall out.

Micowave the bun for ~10seconds and it goes nicely soft and steamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I didn't notice the sauce in Aldi when I was there earlier but I did see this in Tesco Liffey Valley, it's €2.50 a jar.

Jeez.... I wonder did I actually get it in Tesco?

I do a combined Tesco/Aldi shop on Saturdays or Sundays.. that would explain why I couldn't find more in Aldi the next night :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭bassy

McMurphy wrote: »
    Jeez.... I wonder did I actually get it in Tesco?

I do a combined Tesco/Aldi shop on Saturdays or Sundays.. that would explain why I couldn't find more in Aldi the next night :pac:

:rolleyes::rolleyes: lol lol :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Ok, I messaged Aldi on their Facebook page re beer advent calendar and they said they are not aware of that product coming into their stores so can more or less say it won’t be coming in . Pity looks so cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,543 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Please post if you do find more of these, and if they're regular stock - I heard a lovely-sounding recipe for meatballs on the radio the other day (on Pat Kenny, I think) but they were with a fresh-made tomato sauce and I CANNOT STAND fresh tomatoes, so this sounds great!

Do you like tinned tomatoes or passata? That jarred sauce is likely just a tomato base with ras-el-hanout or similar and a sh*t-tonne of additives. You'd easily make your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Do you like tinned tomatoes or passata? That jarred sauce is likely just a tomato base with ras-el-hanout or similar and a sh*t-tonne of additives. You'd easily make your own.

Ingredients
    Water, Tomatoes (28%), Onions, Seasoning (Red Bell Peppers, Sugar, Garlic, Salt, Star Anise, Cumin, Coriander, Chilli), Rapeseed Oil, Tomato Paste (4%), Sugar, Garlic Puree (2%), Modified Maize Starch, Dried Coriander Leaf, Acidity Regulator: Citric Acid

Not to bad on the additives, went looking for it in tesco today no where to be found

• Registered Users Posts: 29,018 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ingredients
    Water, Tomatoes (28%), Onions, Seasoning (Red Bell Peppers, Sugar, Garlic, Salt, Star Anise, Cumin, Coriander, Chilli), Rapeseed Oil, Tomato Paste (4%), Sugar, Garlic Puree (2%), Modified Maize Starch, Dried Coriander Leaf, Acidity Regulator: Citric Acid

Not to bad on the additives, went looking for it in tesco today no where to be found

The sounds fairly reasonable.

I'd much rather not have to cook with any form of tomatoes!

I had a look in a very large Tesco today, no sign either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I had a look in a very large Tesco today, no sign either.
    I forgot to mention in the other post; in Liffey Valley that sauce, and a couple of other things in that range, are in the same spot where the fajita kits are. I've noticed before that certain things sold in Liffey Valley aren't in other Tesco stores I'd go to - Dundrum being an exception, so that might be worth a try if you can't get to Liffey Valley (and are in/near Dublin).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

For some reason the skin on fries have made a re-appearance in my store. There was only about 10 bags there so I grabbed two of them while they were going. Not sure if they are just surplus stock they found hidden out the back in a freezer or if they are back for good but it is worth checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Muahahaha wrote: »
    For some reason the skin on fries have made a re-appearance in my store. There was only about 10 bags there so I grabbed two of them while they were going. Not sure if they are just surplus stock they found hidden out the back in a freezer or if they are back for good but it is worth checking.
    Same here. I have noticed a return to full stock in the 3 stores I frequent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭prodsc

Same here. I have noticed a return to full stock in the 3 stores I frequent.

They have been in my local most times recently but I noticed when I was in yesterday that thet were gone and the pricing label (SEL) was blank:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,382 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

They've a new salted caramel cake. I was disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭mjp

Went to pick up the fresh refrigerated green pesto from there this week and seen price at €1.99 and was like I have never paid that much for it in past. Could have sworn that it was around the €1.60 mark but others might be able to shed some light on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭prodsc

mjp wrote: »
    Went to pick up the fresh refrigerated green pesto from there this week and seen price at €1.99 and was like I have never paid that much for it in past. Could have sworn that it was around the €1.60 mark but others might be able to shed some light on this.

I tend to keep some receipts (but not all). The most recent I can find easily is from 25 Sept price €1.29..code 18740... Pesto.

Still €1.29 this morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

They've a new salted caramel cake. I was disappointed!

Was that in the fridge section? Or where did u get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,382 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

fin12 wrote: »
    Was that in the fridge section? Or where did u get it?

It was just with the regular cakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

They have a lovely fruity rose wine.Its on 2.97.Its gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

dubstarr wrote: »

You bought wine for 2.97 :):)

You bought wine for 2.97 :):)

Didn't realise it was that price till I checked my receipt.But yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

It was just with the regular cakes!

I saw the salted caramel cake during the week - I decided to pass as I thought it would be dry and artificial tasting...

I really liked the autumn apple/caramel sponge pudding from the fresh section. Heat it up in the microwave for a few minutes and serve with whipped cream. Its a new product and they also have a few other variations including cherry bakewell and chocolate :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

mjp wrote: »

I cant speak for the pesto but have noticed price creep happening in Aldi lately. Latest example is the return of their chocolate Santa this week priced 1.27, I used to get one the odd time last year and Im pretty sure they were 99c last Xmas. They seem to be slapping on 20 cents here, 30 cents there. Have heard others say the same is happening in the other big supermarkets.

The chicken vol au vonts are gorgeous.Got thrm today.

Fancied chicken thigh fillets burgers this evening (I still think the flaming hot ones are the biz) and looks like they're no longer stocked. Not in my local Aldi anyway. Ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭bassy

McMurphy wrote: »
    Fancied chicken thigh fillets burgers this evening (I still think the flaming hot ones are the biz) and looks like they're no longer stocked. Not in my local Aldi anyway. Ffs.

Bloody nice alright,but very heavey in fat.

bassy wrote: »
    Bloody nice alright,but very heavey in fat.

Tell me about it, but man they taste great with a nice poured Guinness, and the heat from them makes the Ben and Jerry's ice-cream afterwards taste all the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭RachelsCousin

If it's the same one I was looking at, it's 5.5% alcohol.

If it's the same one I was looking at, it's 5.5% alcohol.

Im not sure on the alcohol but it was very light.It would be lovely in a glass with loads of ice sitting out in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Im not sure on the alcohol but it was very light.It would be lovely in a glass with loads of ice sitting out in the sun.

Sun? What's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭54and56

Picked a few of these up earlier in Sandyford. Love the way Aldi started copying Brewdog's Punk IPA with its "Anti Establishment" IPA in Brewdog type branding then Brewdog, firmly tongue in cheek, started teasing Aldi with images of a knock off "Aldi IPA" they were threatening (in fun) to make which Aldi suggested they change the name of to Ald IPA and send them over a crate.

A few weeks later I'm now drinking an Aldi Branded IPA made by Brewdog rather than an Aldi knock off of Brewdog's Punk IPA.

Figure that out!!

FWIW The Ald IPA (Made by Brewdog) is probably IMHO a nicer more rounded beer than either of the Brewdog knock offs!!

Mq8R6hZ.jpg

• Advertisement

Sun? What's that?

I know long time ago now

Advertisement