Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

what the hell has happened the Ristretto Coffee pods? It's not just new packaging, its a different product, and muck !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I got some freshly packed prawns in garlic and herb butter yesterday in the fish fridge, they were delicious in with some veg fried rice, I think they were only 2 euro aswel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Have the Kavanagh's Jumbo Oats reduced in size? Were they 1kg before and now only 750g? Maybe I'm mad but it feels like they are. Shoddy and sneaky if so.

Oh, I don't know but the pack I have in the press is definitely 1kg. I havent bought a new bag in ages as I only have porridge once or twice a week so they last me forever. Will check next time I'm in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭ongarite

RobAMerc wrote: »
    what the hell has happened the Ristretto Coffee pods? It's not just new packaging, its a different product, and muck !

That was my favourite non brand Nespresso pod!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

RobAMerc wrote: »
    According to a Nespresso site/blog it is just a rebranding, but read the comments here

https://www.aldi.co.uk/ristretto-coffee-pods/p/073755158201201

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

SozBbz wrote: »
    Oh, I don't know but the pack I have in the press is definitely 1kg. I havent bought a new bag in ages as I only have porridge once or twice a week so they last me forever. Will check next time I'm in store.

Aye, new jumbo packs are definitely 750g. i just couldn't remember if the old ones were 1kg. The normal sized oats are still 1kg. Poor show Aldi!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Kat1170

The skin on fries didn't do it for me but see these McCain Naked Skin On Fries for €2 in Tesco today for anyone needing a fix. Don't know how they stack up against the Aldi ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭54and56

I prefer a tomato based Chowder so going to see how this pre cooked seafood works if cooked in with Aldi's specially selected Tomato and Basil soup with extra fresh basil added.

Your seafood chowder recipe does look very tasty, might have to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Kat1170 wrote: »
    The skin on fries didn't do it for me but see these McCain Naked Skin On Fries for €2 in Tesco today for anyone needing a fix. Don't know how they stack up against the Aldi ones.

The aldi ones are still in stock, picked up 2 bags in my local yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

The aldi ones are still in stock, picked up 2 bags in my local yesterday.

So did I, also got a Saturday Pizza which I think i will try on Friday night with my own additional toppings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Had some lovely mixed mushrooms today. Fancy Fungi Forest Mix in a purple box in with the veg and salad stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They still have plenty of skin on fries in our branch, and Saturday pizzas too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

They still have plenty of skin on fries in our branch, and Saturday pizzas too.

Was only thinking of the skin on fries this evening, Im missing them. I tried the Green Isle rustic fries from Tesco and they're not great at all, nowhere near as nice as Aldis version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Alun wrote: »
    Had some lovely mixed mushrooms today. Fancy Fungi Forest Mix in a purple box in with the veg and salad stuff.

I used these to make a chicken and mushroom pie last week, they were lovely!

Alun wrote: »

Yep, nice to see Aldi doing something that's a bit special, local AND fresh. A bit of a treat at €3.99 but cooked in butter with some shallots and garlic and they were very nice. Will definitely buy again.

I prefer a tomato based Chowder so going to see how this pre cooked seafood works if cooked in with Aldi's specially selected Tomato and Basil soup with extra fresh basil added.

So gave the tomato and basil soup idea a go for lunch and ended up having quite an "Aldi Discussion Thread" lunch as it happens.

I took Muahahaha's advice and just defrosted the ready cooked seafood mix (prawns, mussels and squid) in some hot water whilst warming the soup in a pot then added it in, brought the soup back to a simmer for a minute, added some croutons and fresh basil and voila I had something which isn't at all like a tomato based seafood chowder (primarily I think because there's mascarpone in the tomato soup) but was really delicious and I have to say Muahahaha's advice to not over cook the seafood was spot on, it tasted really good and not at all rubbery.

Not quite sure what to call the dish I ended up with but for now I've christened it my "Aldi Tomato and Basil Seafood Special" which I'll definitely be having again.

OTlk5QI.jpg

By chance my young lad who is also working (studying) from home popped into the kitchen to grab some lunch and I suggested he try one of the Saturday Pizza's I got the other day.

He had the pepperoni one and I had a small slice.

Best frozen pizza ever by mutual agreement but the bottom of the base was too soft for me (I like to use a baking stone when making my own) and the crust was also too soft and doughy. Not sure if a few more minutes at a higher temp would solve given it was cooked on a wire rack but they are still worth getting if you want a better product than the very low cost fresh and frozen pizzas generally available in Aldi and elsewhere.

I'd definitely recommend cooking them straight onto a very hot (upside down if necessary) baking tray which has been given enough time to get really hot. Assuming you like a bit of crust to your pizza that is.

Feeling as full as a pig now with a few hours work ahead when all I'd like to do is go have a nice afternoon nap :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

54and56 wrote: »

So gave the tomato and basil soup idea a go for lunch and ended up having quite an "Aldi Discussion Thread" lunch as it happens.

I took Muahahaha's advice and just defrosted the ready cooked seafood mix (prawns, mussels and squid) in some hot water whilst warming the soup in a pot then added it in, brought the soup back to a simmer for a minute, added some croutons and fresh basil and voila I had something which isn't at all like a tomato based seafood chowder (primarily I think because there's mascarpone in the tomato soup) but was really delicious and I have to say Muahahaha's advice to not over cook the seafood was spot on, it tasted really good and not at all rubbery.

Not quite sure what to call the dish I ended up with but for now I've christened it my "Aldi Tomato and Basil Seafood Special" which I'll definitely be having again.

OTlk5QI.jpg

By chance my young lad who is also working (studying) from home popped into the kitchen to grab some lunch and I suggested he try one of the Saturday Pizza's I got the other day.

He had the pepperoni one and I had a small slice.

Best frozen pizza ever by mutual agreement but the bottom of the base was too soft for me (I like to use a baking stone when making my own) and the crust was also too soft and doughy. Not sure if a few more minutes at a higher temp would solve given it was cooked on a wire rack but they are still worth getting if you want a better product than the very low cost fresh and frozen pizzas generally available in Aldi and elsewhere.

I'd definitely recommend cooking them straight onto a very hot (upside down if necessary) baking tray which has been given enough time to get really hot. Assuming you like a bit of crust to your pizza that is.

Feeling as full as a pig now with a few hours work ahead when all I'd like to do is go have a nice afternoon nap :o

Sorry the off topic post but I just listened to your video in your signature and fúck me that was hard to listen to. Brought a tear to my eye

lassykk wrote: »
    Sorry the off topic post but I just listened to your video in your signature and fúck me that was hard to listen to. Brought a tear to my eye

Thanks. Don't want to go off topic myself either but for context given your comment I spent 5 years in a religious run boarding school in the 80's and whilst it wasn't anywhere near as brutal as the abuse Michael O'Brien suffered which was made worse decades later by the way the justice process treated him it too was a fairly degrading experience.

If we don't keep these atrocities front of mind and hold the perpetrators to account we risk future generations of children suffering the same.

End of off topic discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

54and56 wrote: »

That looks great. If you like your fish soup to be tomato based search out a recipe for for a soup called bouillabaisse. Its a traditional French fishermans soup based on tomatoes, fennel and then any fish you want but always mussels. Have made it a couple of times before and its a good winter warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Salted caramel marshmallows

Different variety available.

A lot of their Christmas stock is in.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Venison

• Registered Users Posts: 30,383 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

fin12 wrote: »

Did you have them?

I wasn't overly impressed.

Did you have them?

I wasn't overly impressed.

No I dint try them yet, sound lovely though anddiffernt, but they are not great?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,383 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

fin12 wrote: »
    No I dint try them yet, sound lovely though anddiffernt, but they are not great?

I thought they were fine but I think I built them up to much more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I thought they were fine but I think I built them up to much more than anything.
    Which is pretty much exactly what I have just done since I first saw them mentioned three or four posts ago.. :o

I saw them, but I hate when they pad out exotic mushroom boxes with chestnut mushrooms.
    I'd recommend finding a local farmers market for your mushrooms, that box is quite expensive aswel

I saw them, but I hate when they pad out exotic mushroom boxes with chestnut mushrooms.
    I'd recommend finding a local farmers market for your mushrooms, that box is quite expensive aswel
    I had exactly one chestnut mushroom in mine :)

PXL-20201007-181118314.jpg

3yXyHWcL

Ah that's fair, it was all I could really see in shop, the window into the box was quite small!

• Advertisement

Ah that's fair, it was all I could really see in shop, the window into the box was quite small!
    Yes, I was agreeably surprised too, like you say many of these mushroom mixes seem to consist of 90% chestnut and oyster and a few bits and pieces of other mushrooms thrown in to make it "exotic".

I added in these that I foraged myself as well ... (Amethyst Deceivers in case anyone wonders!).

PXL-20201003-160624184.jpg

Advertisement