Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin 1Gb now available.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

My most recent test:
    https://virginmediaireland.speedtestcustom.com/result/c721cd00-05b6-11eb-9f42-91d2465e4c47

483.4 Mbps from wifi and my desktop is on the 3rd storey of the house. I usually get about 380 Mbps range.

I would love to get my hands on a proper wifi 6 mesh to see how fast I could get.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭BurnUp78

Gonzo wrote: »
    that's about as good as most people get. You can't expect much more than 200 or 300 meg close to the modem on 5g on wifi unless you set up other points around the house. On 2.4g I get about 50 to 60 and 250 on 5g.

The only way your going to get over 600 all the time is to have your devices wired back to the modem.

Just now I got 500 download close to the modem and when I went downstairs I got 12 lol surely that can't be normal :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

BurnUp78 wrote: »
    Just now I got 500 download close to the modem and when I went downstairs I got 12 lol surely that can't be normal :/

Seems normal to me , providers only supply cheap rubbish Access Points to the customers, if you care for great WIFI speed then you should invest in your own Mesh System.
    ps. You sill could improve the signal with current setup by trying different WiFi channels, disabling 20/40 MHz Coexistence will helps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

alec76 wrote: »
    Seems normal to me , providers only supply cheap rubbish Access Points to the customers, if you care for great WIFI speed then you should invest in your own Mesh System.
    ps. You sill could improve the signal with current setup by trying different WiFi channels, disabling 20/40 MHz Coexistence will helps too.

While it’s becoming widespread accepted alright, still irritates a lot of advertisement focuses on wireless devices and the likes.

And when you consider how the technology has come from and the development of products and devices being wireless focused , there is a point where ISPs should start providing proper devices.

Eventually an ISP might organize some agreement with some manufacturers and provide some options.

Like you can see here. A lot of new customers surprised a router with no external antennas is not giving good wireless speeds. While it is obvious to those into tech or networking for majority of customers this is a frustrating nuisance and disappointment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭CoBo55

TheDoc wrote: »
    While it’s becoming widespread accepted alright, still irritates a lot of advertisement focuses on wireless devices and the likes.

And when you consider how the technology has come from and the development of products and devices being wireless focused , there is a point where ISPs should start providing proper devices.

Eventually an ISP might organize some agreement with some manufacturers and provide some options.

Like you can see here. A lot of new customers surprised a router with no external antennas is not giving good wireless speeds. While it is obvious to those into tech or networking for majority of customers this is a frustrating nuisance and disappointment

Digiweb supply a Fritzbox with all their FTTH packages, top class router, you can pay extra to get better ones from them too. Really when you get to speeds above 100 meg it's time to buy a decent router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Digiweb supply a Fritzbox with all their FTTH packages, top class router, you can pay extra to get better ones from them too. Really when you get to speeds above 100 meg it's time to buy a decent router.

Yeah I have my own setup alright. Unfortunately FTTH not available in my area or Is be all over it. Unbelievable deals and speeds seem amazing. My Dad has it with sky paying half the price for double the speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

couldn't agree more

Digiweb rock. Completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

reading some horrors here though all the replies were about vodafone, anyone know what box does vodafone give with their 1gb plan ? and is it any good in terms of wifi coverage compared to likes of VM hub 3.0

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭allanroche

Hey, I’m wondering if anyone with the 1Gb service can indulge me for a minute. Under the VM Hub network status are any of you actually getting DOCSIS 3.1 channels. (see the image)

I have an ongoing dispute at the moment over it as I’m having huge issues with speed and latency, my ping is 9-15ms and my jitter is 6-11ms. It took 15mins to buffer a Paw Patrol episode for my daughter, which is surely not the most taxing of tasks. All my speed tests show I’m reaching decent speeds but my broadband monitor is showing huge spikes in latency, so I’m trying to figure if my service is different in any way.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Apologies the image doesn't seem to have attached, find it here: https://imgur.com/a/2lJWbJL

2lJWbJL

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

allanroche wrote: »
    Hey, I’m wondering if anyone with the 1Gb service can indulge me for a minute. Under the VM Hub network status are any of you actually getting DOCSIS 3.1 channels. (see the image)

I have an ongoing dispute at the moment over it as I’m having huge issues with speed and latency, my ping is 9-15ms and my jitter is 6-11ms. It took 15mins to buffer a Paw Patrol episode for my daughter, which is surely not the most taxing of tasks. All my speed tests show I’m reaching decent speeds but my broadband monitor is showing huge spikes in latency, so I’m trying to figure if my service is different in any way.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Apologies the image doesn't seem to have attached, find it here: https://imgur.com/a/2lJWbJL

2lJWbJL

You dont have 50 posts so cant post images. Here you go
    7R4BOMC.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I'm getting one dcosis 3.1 channel on my end. but I have also had massive latency spikes as well, way more noticeable compared to the hub3 modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭allanroche

Thor wrote: »
    I'm getting one dcosis 3.1 channel on my end. but I have also had massive latency spikes as well, way more noticeable compared to the hub3 modem.

That’s interesting. I’ve tested it all day using different setups using modem mode or using VM hub stand alone, I’ve tried with and without the supplied splitter, replaced all my Ethernet cables and using two different VM points within my house. I get no DOCSIS 3.1 channels, the latency is huge, ping responses are high which leads me to believe it’s nothing I’m doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

allanroche wrote: »

Thanks in advance.

2lJWbJL

DOCSIS 3.0 channels 32 5
    DOCSIS 3.1 channels 1 0

The PUMA6 was a disaster, so VM went ahead and used PUMA7 for the successor.

InnocentUnlinedDormouse-small.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Something seems up with your connection.

DOCSIS 3.0 channels
    Downstream
    Upstream

DOCSIS 3.1 channels
    Downstream
    Upstream

ED E wrote: »
    The PUMA6 was a disaster, so VM went ahead and used PUMA7 for the successor.

InnocentUnlinedDormouse-small.gif

I cringe... Intel really have a monopoly going on there. Someone was getting kickbacks with that choice.

I was always in the VM side thinking they were great and moving ireland and they mostly are and I'm happy that they are, but their best product is unusable with these horrible modems. At least they are for me..any chance to move to a better stable service and I'm home.

If they let us get our own docsis modem, that would solve it for me..

I cringe... Intel really have a monopoly going on there. Someone was getting kickbacks with that choice.

I was always in the VM side thinking they were great and moving ireland and they mostly are and I'm happy that they are, but their best product is unusable with these horrible modems. At least they are for me..any chance to move to a better stable service and I'm home.

If they let us get our own docsis modem, that would solve it for me..

Id argue its the other way. PUMA isnt really Intel, its something they bought from TI. They're doing NICs a while longer and are good at that, they're ****e when it comes to networking kit though. Intel aren't cornering the market, they're crap so they're dirt cheap. LG love cheap.

Broadcom make alternatives, they work. You don't tend to expect any less from them. But they can charge more for them because they're not junk.

I'd love to drop VM (they'll never let you use your own kit IMO) but VDSL only offers 25-30Mb in my location. IFN is a while away. If I could get 40Mb VDSL I'd switch.

Id argue its the other way. PUMA isnt really Intel, its something they bought from TI. They're doing NICs a while longer and are good at that, they're ****e when it comes to networking kit though. Intel aren't cornering the market, they're crap so they're dirt cheap. LG love cheap.

Broadcom make alternatives, they work. You don't tend to expect any less from them. But they can charge more for them because they're not junk.

I'd love to drop VM (they'll never let you use your own kit IMO) but VDSL only offers 25-30Mb in my location. IFN is a while away. If I could get 40Mb VDSL I'd switch.

One thing I've learned about Intel.. if they own it, they push it so hard. Considering the absolute ****sh*w behind puma 6. No logical person would touch puma 7 since it had mostly the same issue.

Something dodgy has to have happened behind the scenes..or simply they were the absolute cheapest option because of their issues and likely they couldn't resist.

It just sucks we are left with this problem when otherwise VM offering would have been incredible.

They can't give us an option of buying an alternative because they basically have to admit there is an issue with these.

Whats IFN? That's a new one for you. You should have a glossary with your posts.

Whats IFN? That's a new one for you. You should have a glossary with your posts.

Its OpenEirs stupid name for Urban FTTH, keep up Cobo

• Advertisement

Its OpenEirs stupid name for Urban FTTH, keep up Cobo

Sorry boss sorry...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Arkiema

Sorry post was meant to be a reply to the guys earlier who were hitting 650mbs + over wifi with Orbi setup.

Do you mind if I ask what you exact set up is? I have VM1GB package. Recently installed Orbi RBK752 with Wifi 6 capabilities. Placed VM Hub into modem mode and connected Orbi router via Ethernet. Speeds nowhere near yours over wifi (ookla Speedtest) max 250mbs - 300mbs which is in and around the same as speeds were without Orbi setup. I have the Orbi satellite placed upstairs which has helped with dead spots but very disappointed and expected big things speed wise over wifi setup. Only a handful of devices connected yet so that can’t be an issue. Any tips on making the most of Orbi setup??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭BigMoose

What speed tests do you get running the "internet speed" test from the Orbi app? Just to rule out anything else as that's just testing the internet connection. I have 500Mbs VM with the white hub in modem mode and an Orbi RBK50 setup (one router, one satellite) and the internet speed test gives me a fairly consistent 510Mb/51Mb result. Wifi, using the speedtest app on an iphone gives mostly 400-450Mbs results around 5 meters away from either the router or satellite, but the servers do vary. Blacknight in Carlow is meant to be the most reliable for higher speeds, but sometimes it gives lower results than others in Dublin. I also have a wired laptop on the satellite to compare with wifi results and it mostly gets 490-500, depending on what the kids are doing.

Have you checked if its using free wifi channels? It doesn't always seem to pick clear ones. I use NetSpot network analyzer for a mac but am sure there are loads of alternatives.

Arkiema wrote: »
    Sorry post was meant to be a reply to the guys earlier who were hitting 650mbs + over wifi with Orbi setup.

Do you mind if I ask what you exact set up is? I have VM1GB package. Recently installed Orbi RBK752 with Wifi 6 capabilities. Placed VM Hub into modem mode and connected Orbi router via Ethernet. Speeds nowhere near yours over wifi (ookla Speedtest) max 250mbs - 300mbs which is in and around the same as speeds were without Orbi setup. I have the Orbi satellite placed upstairs which has helped with dead spots but very disappointed and expected big things speed wise over wifi setup. Only a handful of devices connected yet so that can’t be an issue. Any tips on making the most of Orbi setup??

What device are you testing on?

Testing on either latest gen iPad or iPhone XR. Wired connections to PC hitting about 800mbps.

BigMoose wrote: »
    What speed tests do you get running the "internet speed" test from the Orbi app? Just to rule out anything else as that's just testing the internet connection. I have 500Mbs VM with the white hub in modem mode and an Orbi RBK50 setup (one router, one satellite) and the internet speed test gives me a fairly consistent 510Mb/51Mb result. Wifi, using the speedtest app on an iphone gives mostly 400-450Mbs results around 5 meters away from either the router or satellite, but the servers do vary. Blacknight in Carlow is meant to be the most reliable for higher speeds, but sometimes it gives lower results than others in Dublin. I also have a wired laptop on the satellite to compare with wifi results and it mostly gets 490-500, depending on what the kids are doing.

Have you checked if its using free wifi channels? It doesn't always seem to pick clear ones. I use NetSpot network analyzer for a mac but am sure there are loads of alternatives.
    In app ‘Speedtest’ is about 980mbps down and 50mbps up. I have virgin hub in modem mode, tried putting the Orbi into AP mode several times but it seems to crash the system completely on me. Wired speeds from Orbi are great but I’m still struggling with wireless, iPad seems to generate fastest at about max 460mbps.

I’ll check out that channel scanner you mentioned

Testing on either latest gen iPad or iPhone XR. Wired connections to PC hitting about 800mbps.

Could you TELNET
    root@RBR752:/# satelliteinfo wifi
    and post results here

iPad seems to generate fastest at about max 460mbps.
    Probably max for regular iPad , I have iPad Pro could go 500-600 range with Orbi rbs20 satellite ( hardwired backhaul)
    You don't have any WiFi 6 enabled devices by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Hollystown

I connected 1 gb from virgin and i am only getting 500b /50 so it seems its not real 1gb. Engineer came today to fix it he changed modem that it. On his device he got 960b but actually it was not connected to the box so not sure how he does it, . My server is connected via cable. I am going to change to 500 MB as ts not worth it.
    However, my friend has eir 1gb, the speed is 900+ / 100mb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Hollystown wrote: »
    I connected 1 gb from virgin and i am only getting 500b /50 so it seems its not real 1gb. Engineer came today to fix it he changed modem that it. On his device he got 960b but actually it was not connected to the box so not sure how he does it, . My server is connected via cable. all speed checker sites, download files up to 50. So this is no 1GB. I am going to change to 500 MB as ts not worth it.
    However, my friend has eir 1gb, the speen is 900+ / 100mb
    if you get 500 on ethernet directly connected then it seems like its capped at that speed. i was with VM before on 500m, and it wasnt hard to get full 500 on ethernet cable, switched to VF last week and yes getting above 900+ when wired seems to fluctuate between choosing different servers as low as 800s but overall about 60mb short of gig.

Advertisement