Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin 1Gb now available.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭65535

So the tech called and plugged in a laptop and straight away got 900 odd.
    I couldn't explain it, tried my own laptop - still stuck at 500.
    Having read previous posts here I suspect it was a VPN install - forticlient
    So I uninstalled the Virtual Network Card for the 'forticlient' application and I'm getting 900 odd now.
    Even though I very rarely used the forticlient app it restricted the bandwidth so lesson learned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

65535 wrote: »
    So the tech called and plugged in a laptop and straight away got 900 odd.
    I couldn't explain it, tried my own laptop - still stuck at 500.
    Having read previous posts here I suspect it was a VPN install - forticlient
    So I uninstalled the Virtual Network Card for the 'forticlient' application and I'm getting 900 odd now.
    Even though I very rarely used the forticlient app it restricted the bandwidth so lesson learned.

That's interesting. Though I find I get the same speeds on a device with forticlient as one without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭65535

beauf wrote: »
    That's interesting. Though I find I get the same speeds on a device with forticlient as one without it.

Would that be above 500 ?

65535 wrote: »
    Would that be above 500 ?

No I'm on a lower package. But I have a number of desktops and laptops but the VPN is only on a couple of machines and using the VPN made no difference to me.

Maybe its only relevant to higher speeds 500 and above?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No I'm on a lower package. But I have a number of desktops and laptops but the VPN is only on a couple of machines and using the VPN made no difference to me.

Maybe its only relevant to higher speeds 500 and above?

You're usually CPU limiting all network traffic to what one thread can handle. Your max bandwidth will scale with single core performance.

• Advertisement

Do you mean the single core on the VM Hub 3?

I've just run a long cable from the router to one laptop with VPN software on it. There are 3 other people online playing games in the house. They are all powerline adapters. They get about 80mbps due to the limits of the Powerlines. On this laptop (with the VPN) the speed test gives me 245mbps. I'm on the Limitless 240Mb.

You're much lower so are less likely to be limited. The choke point is the clients CPU performance.

I'm a bit slow on the uptake here. What has the clients single core performance got to do with ethernet speeds.

What sort of CPU would bottleneck Gigabit Ethernet speeds? If thats what your saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

What sort of CPU would bottleneck Gigabit Ethernet speeds? If thats what your saying.

Something from the last century ,I guess .
    I have Desktop with 2007 CPU , no problem hitting 920 Mbps speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

2019 Mac Air can't even max out 500 Mbps using a browser speed test over wired ethernet.

• Advertisement

CPU in combination with sh1tty software thats doing some kind of packet inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

What upload speeds do you guys actually measure on this Virgin Gigabit connection?

I'm on 500Mbit currently and upload maxes out at 48Mbit wired & wireless. I'm wondering if it'd double or what'd be situation on Gigabit?

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭CoBo55

xboxdad wrote: »
    What upload speeds do you guys actually measure on this Virgin Gigabit connection?

I'm on 500Mbit currently and upload maxes out at 48Mbit wired & wireless. I'm wondering if it'd double or what'd be situation on Gigabit?

Thank you.

50 upload on the 1Gig too, many are disappointed with it.

CoBo55 wrote: »

Thank you. Yes, it sounds poor. I was hoping it's going to be more than double :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

So is this worth going for? Currently on hold as out of contract

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

OU812 wrote: »

Had a Virgin line engineer out last week, through just run of the mill conversation he said stay away from it entirely.

Pressure to product launch it as seemingly losing a lot of customers to SIRO, but they've launched well ahead of the infrastructure upgrades required to manage it, not to mention the amount of people WFH.

Obvious from this thread most people not happy, two people in my work department (one our Global network manager) got it and said its dreadful and a line technician himself saying stay clear.

I'm not even contemplating it for another year or so, and by then I'm hoping SIRO is here

TheDoc wrote: »
    Had a Virgin line engineer out last week, through just run of the mill conversation he said stay away from it entirely.

Pressure to product launch it as seemingly losing a lot of customers to SIRO, but they've launched well ahead of the infrastructure upgrades required to manage it, not to mention the amount of people WFH.

Obvious from this thread most people not happy, two people in my work department (one our Global network manager) got it and said its dreadful and a line technician himself saying stay clear.

I'm not even contemplating it for another year or so, and by then I'm hoping SIRO is here

Do you mean that their 1Gbit is worse than their 500Mbit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Jimson

So maxes out at around 6.5 megabytes when transferring a file?

Not great really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

OU812 wrote: »

IMO no not worth it - stay on 500 and out of contract (and watch siro rollout).

I am on 1G + 360 box for 1 year contract but can see the fibre getting rolled out in my neighbourhood...

Also the only way I got a stable connection was via "modem mode" and my own router... (and I am 80% wired, but suspect I have an "extreme" household usage) .

schmoo2k wrote: »
    IMO no not worth it - stay on 500 and out of contract (and watch siro rollout).

I am on 1G + 360 box for 1 year contract but can see the fibre getting rolled out in my neighbourhood...

Also the only way I got a stable connection was via "modem mode" and my own router... (and I am 80% wired, but suspect I have an "extreme" household usage) .

I'm on 500Mbit and Virgin never worked for me well without modem mode + decent router. Is it going to get worse with 1Gbit Virgin you reckon?

• Advertisement

I'm on 500Mbit and Virgin never worked for me well without modem mode + decent router. Is it going to get worse with 1Gbit Virgin you reckon?

If your already in modem mode, then the stability will be the same and the download speed will be faster when the servers support it (sorry for stating the obvious) - realistically how frustrated do you get with the 500 maxed out?

If you don't mind locking in for a full year, it may work out cheaper as a new customer?

If your already in modem mode, then the stability will be the same and the download speed will be faster when the servers support it (sorry for stating the obvious) - realistically how frustrated do you get with the 500 maxed out?

If you don't mind locking in for a full year, it may work out cheaper as a new customer?

I don't mind you stating the obvious as I'm very confused as to why everyone says to stay away from 1Gbit Virgin. I'm on 500Mbit and as far as I can tell, the weakness is in the WiFi part, not in the actual internet connection. So when ppl say someone told them to stay away from 1Gbit Virgin, I think maybe it's maxing out the technology in a way that it shouldn't - making the actual internet connectivity (not talking about WiFi) worse than it was on 500Mbit that did not overdrive the technology.
    If that's not the case, it'll work for me.

I'm more frustrated with the 50Mbit upload speed than the 500Mbit download speed and I - wrongly - assumed it'd double at the very least with 1Gbit.
    In any case, I'll keep paying the same money for 1Gbit as I'm paying for 500Mbit, so it seems like a no brainer in my case. (I do have SIRO here, but I won't switch over - they lied about a couple of things when they sold it to me so I cancelled - also I don't want more holes on the house...)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Do you mean that their 1Gbit is worse than their 500Mbit?

You can see the feedback here. And plenty of evidence elsewhere. The 1gig just isn’t performing well. Seems their infra just saturated. Launched too early.

I don't mind you stating the obvious as I'm very confused as to why everyone says to stay away from 1Gbit Virgin. I'm on 500Mbit and as far as I can tell, the weakness is in the WiFi part, not in the actual internet connection. So when ppl say someone told them to stay away from 1Gbit Virgin, I think maybe it's maxing out the technology in a way that it shouldn't - making the actual internet connectivity (not talking about WiFi) worse than it was on 500Mbit that did not overdrive the technology.
    If that's not the case, it'll work for me.

I'm more frustrated with the 50Mbit upload speed than the 500Mbit download speed and I - wrongly - assumed it'd double at the very least with 1Gbit.
    In any case, I'll keep paying the same money for 1Gbit as I'm paying for 500Mbit, so it seems like a no brainer in my case. (I do have SIRO here, but I won't switch over - they lied about a couple of things when they sold it to me so I cancelled - also I don't want more holes on the house...)

IMO It is not just the WiFi, but rather the software / hardware implementation simply appears to get swamped relatively easily, causing dropped packages and inaccessible admin page etc.

The final straw for me, was when rebooting it would revert to the UPC defaults which meant the ID/PW on the box didn't even work (something it only seemed to do if under load at the time of reboot - disconnecting cables worked around the issue)!

Like I say, now I am back in modem mode all is good.

IMO It is not just the WiFi, but rather the software / hardware implementation simply appears to get swamped relatively easily, causing dropped packages and inaccessible admin page etc.

The final straw for me, was when rebooting it would revert to the UPC defaults which meant the ID/PW on the box didn't even work (something it only seemed to do if under load at the time of reboot - disconnecting cables worked around the issue)!

Like I say, now I am back in modem mode all is good.

Ok, thank you. I'm using modem mode too as 500Mbit was also very problematic until I started using it like this. So I'm hopeful that 1Gbit will be fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Ok, thank you. I'm using modem mode too as 500Mbit was also very problematic until I started using it like this. So I'm hopeful that 1Gbit will be fine for me.

Using it in modem mode with a Google nest router and have no issues. All my entertainment systems are wired with cat6 cables (TV, series X, PS4/5, switch) and speed is reliably between 800-900. Only issue i have is that some Websites keep telling me there is suspicious activity on my IP. No idea what that's about

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

As I've mentioned in other posts, I'm in modem mode, and the connection is rock solid. The supplied VM Hub is not up to the job if used in router mode in my opinion and the poor upload speed is an apparent oversight, but I'm happy with the connection and do not regret upgrading. When my contract is up, I'll look at the providers that can offer the same speeds.

I don't have any hard data on the success of VM's 1Gb product. Suppose anyone here had some stats or technical info from a reliable source on the uptake or capacity problems etc. I'd like to see it. You can find threads discussing poor performance for most of the large ISP's because there are a lot of variables. I'd wager that the majority are not because of the speeds delivered to the house but rather the equipment used, the construction of the home, or wireless interference from neighbouring wifi networks.

LoGiE wrote: »
    As I've mentioned in other posts, I'm in modem mode, and the connection is rock solid.

It can be solid, isnt always. The SoC is still underpowered and can be caused to crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭CoBo55

ED E wrote: »
    It can be solid, isnt always. The SoC is still underpowered and can be caused to crash.

What's SoC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

What's SoC?

System on a Chip. Processing unit + other functions.

Advertisement