Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin 1Gb now available.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Is it still possible to change the V2 Router into modem mode and use your own? since I switched to a Google Nest Router, my connection has been rock solid. On the Virgin hub I had problems nonstop.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,071 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Is it still possible to change the V2 Router into modem mode and use your own? since I switched to a Google Nest Router, my connection has been rock solid. On the Virgin hub I had problems nonstop.

Yes, and that's what I did to use my own router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Router been acting up the last 24 hours and I am stuck on the UPC login page:

531191.jpg

Tried unplugging all cables and rebooted - even saw the virgin login for a while, but was unable to login.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Router been acting up the last 24 hours and I am stuck on the UPC login page:

531191.jpg

Tried unplugging all cables and rebooted - even saw the virgin login for a while, but was unable to login.

Thoughts?

Hit the 'Next' button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Back in march mine was out for a week.. couldn't get into settings. Hard reset it countless times over a few days.

Someone on line suggested the report a fault page on their site might automatically trigger a reset somewhere. So I did this and the hub finally reset the next day. Might have been coincidence.

After 6 days support finally got back to me and wouldn't check it out as it was working again.

• Advertisement

Dusted off the old WRT 1900AC - updated to latest OpenWRT and have put the hub in modem mode. Redirected DNS to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 - happy days.

degsie wrote: »
    Hit the 'Next' button.

Didn't help the modem was in UPC mode not Virdin Mode...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Dusted off the old WRT 1900AC - updated to latest OpenWRT and have put the hub in modem mode. Redirected DNS to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 - happy days.

What DNS are they? I'm finding the VM DNS servers a bit sluggish at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭La Haine

So, even after switching to Modem Mode and using a new TP-Link Archer AX20 the 5ghz drop/out persists.

Rang customer care to get rid of of this box and put me back on the 500MB package instead. The lad insisted on sending out a senior technician who knows this the new 1GB box inside-out to take a look. He’s coming on Wednesday.

La Haine wrote: »
    So, even after switching to Modem Mode and using a new TP-Link Archer AX20 the 5ghz drop/out persists.

Rang customer care to get rid of of this box and put me back on the 500MB package instead. The lad insisted on sending out a senior technician who knows this the new 1GB box inside-out to take a look. He’s coming on Wednesday.

The 5ghz drop outs from a third party router can't be VMs fault.

• Advertisement

CoBo55 wrote: »
    What DNS are they? I'm finding the VM DNS servers a bit sluggish at times.

They are Cloudflares ulta fast DNS servers: https://1.1.1.1/dns/ for more info

They are Cloudflares ulta fast DNS servers: https://1.1.1.1/dns/ for more info

I put them in already, noticeable difference. Thanks I'll read up on them now!! Nothing like doing it the Irish way:D

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭La Haine

CoBo55 wrote: »
    The 5ghz drop outs from a third party router can't be VMs fault.

The reason why I got the TP was because VM’s box was dropping the 5ghz signal constantly. So there’s something going on, whether it’s VM’s software or hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I find the dropout less with my own wifi router. But they still happen even wired to the router direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

i had simillar issue not with VM, but went into device manager and set only 5ghz on network card, so that way if ssid isnt split or single it would only connect to 5ghz. but if like above user says its still happening then dunno what could be the issue, as clearly temporary signal loss occurs.

La Haine wrote: »
    The reason why I got the TP was because VM’s box was dropping the 5ghz signal constantly. So there’s something going on, whether it’s VM’s software or hardware.

I'd say your 5ghz network is clashing with another one. Download vistumbler and see what's being transmitted around you. I check mine regularly, the Asus is doing a great job of avoiding the other networks. Oh, another thing, the router could be auto choosing a channel that your device can't see.

How long after order did you guys receive the new router? I placed the order 2 weeks ago and still dont have it. I have a Red technician visit tomorrow (that I really don't want or need due to COVID but they insist on it)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

How long after order did you guys receive the new router? I placed the order 2 weeks ago and still dont have it. I have a Red technician visit tomorrow (that I really don't want or need due to COVID but they insist on it)

I got mine the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Tell them to buzz off due to covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭allanroche

It took me 5-6wks with a ComReg complaint and a decent staff member to eventually get mine, they kept processing my order wrong and it would never trigger an instrument order for mine. I would chase up if I were you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭65535

I got the 1GB modem, installed and looks to be provisioned OK.
    However I'm still only getting the 500Mb - direct cable, rebooted etc.
    Any ideas please ?

Got mine yesterday, popped it into modem mode, measured on my Google Nest router, 917 down, Delighted.

Got mine yesterday, popped it into modem mode, measured on my Google Nest router, 917 down, Delighted.

Same here but I am still at the 'old' speed.:confused:

65535 wrote: »
    Same here but I am still at the 'old' speed.:confused:

Id speak to virign, if its around 500 they probably forgot to flip some sort of switch

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

65535 wrote: »
    I got the 1GB modem, installed and looks to be provisioned OK.
    However I'm still only getting the 500Mb - direct cable, rebooted etc.
    Any ideas please ?

How long has it been installed?
    Have you reset it with the pin on the back?

No, I did not factory default it - should I ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Took a few hours for my profile to switch over from 500 to 1g. You can always whats app them to check everything is correct

LoGiE wrote: »
    Took a few hours for my profile to switch over from 500 to 1g. You can always whats app them to check everything is correct

Thanks for the suggestions.
    I did a factory default and tried directly into the modem, still the same.
    A VM Tech is calling in the morning so hopefully they will get to the bottom of it.

A friend of mine who lives in the country has difficulty getting any broadband and I'm here moaning about the difference between 500 and 1GB - ah well - what can you do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭bdmc5

Ya same here. Insisted on guy coming to install the 1GB which I hope it doesn’t mean routing more cables than they have already when installed my 360 plan 2 years ago.

I had assumed they send me a new box and flick switch on their side but a tech guy has to call . Either way the guy is due tomorrow after 12 so fingers crossed straight forward

• Advertisement

bdmc5 wrote: »
    Ya same here. Insisted on guy coming to install the 1GB which I hope it doesn’t mean routing more cables than they have already when installed my 360 plan 2 years ago.

I had assumed they send me a new box and flick switch on their side but a tech guy has to call . Either way the guy is due tomorrow after 12 so fingers crossed straight forward

For my install they swapped out the coax splitter as well and that was it.

Advertisement