Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Three Ireland 5G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I think I'll stay away from this 5G codology. Sure it kills birds, causes covid and allows the Chinese to spy on you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭padair

lankz92 wrote: »
    Well it works. 220mb right at the edge of the coverage map in dundalk.
    I'll have to check better at home. Any suggestions on an antenna for 5g?

Maybe the following, not sure of this will work for you

Huawei 5G AF9E outdoor boosting 5G antenna, peak gain 14dBi, frequency range 3300-4200MHz, easy installation – White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083L1GY26/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_fab_HPeEFbY28AYAX

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

I had looked at that. I'll just make sure i can actually pick up a signal in some corner of the garden first.

The map is fairly accurate in dundalk at least. We have 2 buildings, 1 is in the area and one not. Signal reflects this. Which makes me think even a slight gain would get me a signal at home. The house is in the area but the neighbours right behind me is in a blank spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Well it works. 220mb right at the edge of the coverage map in dundalk.
    I'll have to check better at home. Any suggestions on an antenna for 5g?

Good to know the SIM works in the router at any rate. I ordered the CPE Pro 2 from Sotel yesterday, delivery between Wednesday and Friday next.

Gave it to a mate there to try at his house, really lives in the middle of nowhere. 5g all over his house but he's only getting 40mb ish. 4g running 15mb ish. He gets really bad signal.
    I'll recheck my own house after work again. I really should have signal. Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Discussing on Newstalk now....it'll probably be mostly marketing hype but might be worth a listen

Edit: Nope, not worth listening to, not a whole lot of additional info given

Been all over my house, garden and nearby fields. Nothing. Not a bit.
    Got onto them on twitter. Tried to tell me the devive has to be purchased from them or it wont work. Funny, i had it working earlier lol. Just admit the map is wrong. Your actually telling people they have to buy a new device costing them more money for the same result.

Okay so the guy on twitter got back to me, a little more helpfull today.
    Nearest mast is 4g only, so iv no idea what mast the 5g is ment to be coming from.
    He said the 5g might come in an out at times but other than that he couldnt tell me much.
    Keep an eye on the site for coverage updates basically. I asked about a booster and he advised finding even a slight signal first, i'll try again when the weather is a bit better.

The new router is getting far better speeds either way so i'll hold onto it. Roughly 50mb all weekend, over 100mb off peak. Vs the 10mb if i was lucky on the old one lately. Probly could get the same results for half the price but at least when the signal improves im ready. Im not holding out hope for the nbi crew lol

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Are you able to force the router into 5G-only mode? If the 5G signal is not coming from your nearest mast, that'll probably be the only way of picking it up.

Quackster wrote: »
    Are you able to force the router into 5G-only mode? If the 5G signal is not coming from your nearest mast, that'll probably be the only way of picking it up.

Unfortunately not. Both network mode and search are greyed out. From my understanding 5g still relies on 4g for some background stuff so you need both. Maybe when the broadband is offically rolled out i can use that apn and the settings will open up, available settings change depending on network form what iv read up on the router.

The mast is right along the main dublin-derry road so there is a chance it will get done in future, its always beem kept updated and thats the only reason i can think why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Quackster wrote: »

I doubt thats possible. There is no 5G SA in Ireland yet so youre limited to 5G NSA which is basically an addon to 4G. The 4G cell is still your primary serving cell so 5G only would mean no service at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

Hi

Does anyone know if the three coverage map is accurate. I live out in the sticks and according to the map I am completely covered by 5G. I don’t have a 5G phone to test it out. I am hoping to get a 5G modem but don’t want to waste money if I have no coverage.

Thanks

Hi

Does anyone know if the three coverage map is accurate. I live out in the sticks and according to the map I am completely covered by 5G. I don’t have a 5G phone to test it out. I am hoping to get a 5G modem but don’t want to waste money if I have no coverage.

Thanks

50/50 i have no coverage, a friend does. According to the map both of us should.

But in work we have 2 buildings, one is covered and one is not, the signal does reflect this.

So out in the country id say take the map with a pinch of salt but in a town it seems accurate.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Hi

Thanks
    Taking what ED E says on board, you need to be currently getting 4G and the cell tower you're getting 4G from must be 5G-enabled. Not so likely to work if the 5G signal you're within range of is coming from a more distant tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Anyone know of any cheap 5G sim routers?

jdon72 wrote: »
    Anyone know of any cheap 5G sim routers?

Ali Express 150e search for 5g hotspot

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

ED E wrote: »
    I doubt thats possible. There is no 5G SA in Ireland yet so youre limited to 5G NSA which is basically an addon to 4G. The 4G cell is still your primary serving cell so 5G only would mean no service at all.

Interesting, does this mean that an existing 4g antenna will be OK for use with a 5g router or would a new antenna be needed?

Someone up the thread was looking for recommendations on an antenna for a 5g router. I previously bought a 4g antenna from Dipol to attach to a Huawei 4G router and it has worked well. They seem to have 5g antennae available, but I don't know anything about these yet. Haven't bought or tested any. https://www.dipol.ie/catalogsearch/result/?q=5g%20antenna

Huawei h112-370... wasnt exactly cheap lol

Where are the external Antenna in ports on this device lankz92? Looking at the Amazon pics I don't see the antenna-in ports, although I see the Huawei page does mention them.

Edit - per Heraldoffreent's message below that device on amazon linked to is a slightly different device which doesn't have an antenna in port

Caspero wrote: »
    Where are the external Antenna in ports on this device lankz92? Looking at the Amazon pics I don't see the antenna-in ports, although I see the Huawei page does mention them.

The one in the pic is the h112-373 it doesn't have external antennae connections.

The one you are referring to is this one,

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000833768337.html?src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=494-037-6276&isdl=y&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&aff_platform=google&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&&albagn=888888&albcp=9441019410&albag=95283287465&trgt=296904914040&crea=en4000833768337&netw=u&device=c&albpg=296904914040&albpd=en4000833768337&gclid=CjwKCAjw_Y_8BRBiEiwA5MCBJrOMxakT_tTsjZq732rxMI0bkSeAWKJxTM06mE4tlFwaBw4854PhkBoC83YQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can just make out the rubber cap above the LAN ports, pull this back and the antennae ports become apparant.

Ah I see, thanks!

I see further back in the thread you mentioned the H122-373 has slightly higher throughput. Is that Wifi throughput or 5g speeds you were talking about?

Edit - found a few reviews of the different devices.

Looks like the H122-373 is smaller and faster on a few dimensions, and supports more frequency bands, but as noted by Heraldoffreeent does not allow an external antenna whereas the H112-370 and H122-373 each have 2 x TS9 external antenna ports.

Second edit: Looks like the H112-372 might be a good option for those that like higher throughput (i.e. higher than the H112-370 but slower than the H122-373) and need an external antenna (which the H122-373 does not have). Per the product sheet here
    https://www.4gltemall.com/downloads/dl/file/id/469/product/1753/huawei_5g_cpe_pro_h112_372_specs_datasheet.pdf
    it does have 2 external 5g antenna ports (TS-9) and per the product comparison below, it has faster speeds and works with more frequencies than the H112-370.

Sources: H112-372 & H112-370 spec: https://www.4gltemall.com/blog/huawei-5g-cpe-pro-h112-372-vs-h112-370/
    H122-373 spec: https://www.4gltemall.com/blog/huawei-5g-cpe-pro-2-router-review/
    H112-370 external antenna port details: https://www.4gltemall.com/blog/vodafone-gigacube-5g-router-h112-370-review/

Would need to check the frequencies against what 3 uses to be sure though. Does anyone happen to know?

• Advertisement

Ah I see, thanks!

I see further back in the thread you mentioned the H122-373 has slightly higher throughput. Is that Wifi throughput or 5g speeds you were talking about?

Edit - found a few reviews of the different devices.

Looks like the H122-373 is smaller and faster on a few dimensions, and supports more frequency bands, but as noted by Heraldoffreeent does not allow an external antenna whereas the H122-370 and H122-373 each have 2 x TS9 ports.

Second edit: Looks like the H122-372 might be a good option for those that like higher throughput and need an external antenna. Per the product sheet here
    https://www.4gltemall.com/downloads/dl/file/id/469/product/1753/huawei_5g_cpe_pro_h112_372_specs_datasheet.pdf
    it does have 2 external 5g antenna ports (TS-9) and per the product comparison below, it has faster speeds and works with more frequencies than the H112-370

Sources: H112-372 & H112-370 spec: https://www.4gltemall.com/blog/huawei-5g-cpe-pro-h112-372-vs-h112-370/
    H122-373 spec: https://www.4gltemall.com/blog/huawei-5g-cpe-pro-2-router-review/
    H122-370 external antenna port details: https://www.4gltemall.com/blog/vodafone-gigacube-5g-router-h112-370-review/

By throughput I meant from the network side, i.e 5G. I think download was 3.6Gb, as opposed to 2.6/2.8 for the 370/372.

I ordered the CPE Pro 2, it was delivered to me Friday, I haven't had a chance to set it up and I need to get a sim sorted with the 5g addon etc, probably get around to doing it later in the week, busy with work and other stuff over the weekend, and until wednesday next.

This doc gives a good comparison of whats out there Routerwise at the moment.

https://www.router-switch.com/pdf/huawei-5g-cpe-pro-2-datasheet.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Interesting, does this mean that an existing 4g antenna will be OK for use with a 5g router or would a new antenna be needed?

OK if the antenna covers the existing 5G frequency range 3400-3800 MHz and the future 5G frequency range 703-788 MHz

Got my 5g router but no 5g. Does anyone know what apn details are. Got full strength signal and paid for 5g service

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭CivilEx

padair wrote: »
    Got my 5g router but no 5g. Does anyone know what apn details are. Got full strength signal and paid for 5g service
    Did you get the 5G router working with the prepay sim padair?

CivilEx wrote: »
    Did you get the 5G router working with the prepay sim padair?

Afraid not, I have sent it back.
    I was getting slower 4g speeds with the new router. I was getting full 5g reception but no boost in speed. I tried outside and no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 weeb

padair wrote: »
    Afraid not, I have sent it back.
    I was getting slower 4g speeds with the new router. I was getting full 5g reception but no boost in speed. I tried outside and no joy.
    What router were you using?

weeb wrote: »
    What router were you using?

huawei 5g cpe pro 2

• Registered Users Posts: 21 weeb

That's a shame. I was considering buying the CPE Pro 1 but from what I can see online, people haven't been able to get adequate 5G speeds in routers. I'm not sure what I'll do.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I got the huawei 5g cpe pro 2 also, and had to send it back.

Put it near one window where I presumed I'd het best signal, no 5g light coming on.
    Switched it off, unplugged it, and moved it to another room. Turned it back on, no 5g, but then no 4g either, did the usual factory reset, used different sim, no joy.

Sent it back on wednesday, have yet to decide whether I get another or get my money back.

Advertisement