Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Three Ireland 5G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 weeb

Dempo1 wrote: »
    So assuming you knew this, why the question on why your device is not working?

I never questioned why my device isn't connecting over 5G. I knew before I purchased my router that it wouldn't work with 5G initially as I kept track of threads like this one. I am wondering how they are blocking it from connecting to 5G, not why. That part is fairly obvious.
    Also why have 3, let alone any network launch a 5g service that only a select amount of devices can access? That's the absurd bit

They only launched their 5G network a month ago. I think they would prefer to have control over what devices can establish connections over it as it is still very new before opening the network up for any unauthorised device to connect to. Maybe they're attempting to gain more sales by making people purchase locked 5G handsets from them directly before allowing any device to connect. This would also allow Three to check with the customer their address to see if there is 5G coverage at their home before buying. As I stated already, all we can do right now is speculate.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,897 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

tiny timy wrote: »
    Good stuff. Where did you get the info on tomorrows launch out of interest? Thanks for the heads up!

Now that would be telling, but take it as 100% correct. My humble advice is check coverage thouraghly and check if the 14 day returns policy will continue as it has for the current unlimued (4g) plan. I'd also advise caution to anyone ordering the 5g plan online as different return rules apply and coverage checking may be pie in the sky

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Now that would be telling, but take it as 100% correct. My humble advice is check coverage thouraghly and check if the 14 day returns policy will continue as it has for the current unlimued (4g) plan. I'd also advise caution to anyone ordering the 5g plan online as different return rules apply and coverage checking may be pie in the sky

Really appreciate the information about tomorrows launch.

Presumably though ordering online is the best way to go, as you will be protected under the distance selling rules, and you can cancel within 14 days for any reason.

I am currently in a contract for 4g. I can upgrade at end of December. I will chance an early upgrade, but if not possible I will take out another plan for 5g. If it works out and its half as good as what I expect then I will be happy to pay for both plans for a while. If the 5G is no good, I can just send it back within the 14 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Fair play! Thanks for letting us know! Was it Leo who leaked it to you? LoL!!

weeb wrote: »
    I never questioned why my device isn't connecting over 5G. I knew before I purchased my router that it wouldn't work with 5G initially as I kept track of threads like this one. I am wondering how they are blocking it from connecting to 5G, not why. That part is fairly obvious.

They only launched their 5G network a month ago. I think they would prefer to have control over what devices can establish connections over it as it is still very new before opening the network up for any unauthorised device to connect to. Maybe they're attempting to gain more sales by making people purchase locked 5G handsets from them directly before allowing any device to connect. This would also allow Three to check with the customer their address to see if there is 5G coverage at their home before buying. As I stated already, all we can do right now is speculate.

I apologise, I miss understood re your device and reasons behind it not working. Currently 3 have a very, very limited range of 5g compatable devices, there will be a 5g router launch tomorrow.

3 did launch 5g a month ago, my point essentially is, why and more to the point not openly clarify numerous restrictions, especially devices. I suspect few customers would even be aware of issues with devices, they might understand coverage limitations but would have to dig deeper to discover a device they've purchased may not work. I also should highlight the issue with iPhone 12, it only came to light after 100s were sold that the phones network settings had to adjusted manually to be able to access 5g services.

I feel 3 launched prematurely or certainly with not enough clarity or information, just a humble opinion mind you.

• Advertisement

Tzardine wrote: »
    Really appreciate the information about tomorrows launch.

Presumably though ordering online is the best way to go, as you will be protected under the distance selling rules, and you can cancel within 14 days for any reason.

I am currently in a contract for 4g. I can upgrade at end of December. I will chance an early upgrade, but if not possible I will take out another plan for 5g. If it works out and its half as good as what I expect then I will be happy to pay for both plans for a while. If the 5G is no good, I can just send it back within the 14 days.

You need to be careful if your upgrading, whilst I agree the 14 day rule may apply, it may only be for a new connection /contract, my contract also up but if I do upgrade, I'll go to a store to get complete clarity.

tiny timy wrote: »
    Fair play! Thanks for letting us know! Was it Leo who leaked it to you? LoL!!

LOL, too funny, actually great fun on the Leo leak thread though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

The Cush wrote: »
    So tomorrow the 5g broadband launches €45 pm, fair usage policy of 1000gb and its a 24 month contract, Router free (no info on model yet)

Will be strictly sold based of coverage checked in store. I'm assuming your on your own if purchased online re coverage.

You seem to be contributing more heat than light in here, the routers Three are offering are already known, they're linked to in the above post by The Cush.

5G routers
    https://www.three.ie/shop/broadband/broadband-devices/huawei-5g-win-fwa.html?mobileCartItem={%22selectedDevice%22:{%22id%22:%229076491_9076471%22}}&mobileDeviceOfferingId=9076491_9076471&flowData={}&contractPath=&viewMode=deviceDetailsDevices
    https://www.three.ie/shop/broadband/broadband-devices/huawei-5g-cpe-pro-2.html?mobileCartItem={%22selectedDevice%22:{%22id%22:%229076461_9076441%22}}&mobileDeviceOfferingId=9076461_9076441&flowData={}&contractPath=&viewMode=deviceDetailsDevices

The Cush wrote: »
    So tomorrow the 5g broadband launches €45 pm, fair usage policy of 1000gb and its a 24 month contract, Router free (no info on model yet)

Will be strictly sold based of coverage checked in store. I'm assuming your on your own if purchased online re coverage.

You seem to be contributing more heat than light in here, the routers Three are offering are already known, they're linked to in the above post by The Cush.

5G routers
    https://www.three.ie/shop/broadband/broadband-devices/huawei-5g-win-fwa.html?mobileCartItem={%22selectedDevice%22:{%22id%22:%229076491_9076471%22}}&mobileDeviceOfferingId=9076491_9076471&flowData={}&contractPath=&viewMode=deviceDetailsDevices
    https://www.three.ie/shop/broadband/broadband-devices/huawei-5g-cpe-pro-2.html?mobileCartItem={%22selectedDevice%22:{%22id%22:%229076461_9076441%22}}&mobileDeviceOfferingId=9076461_9076441&flowData={}&contractPath=&viewMode=deviceDetailsDevices

• Registered Users Posts: 21 weeb

I apologise, I miss understood re your device and reasons behind it not working. Currently 3 have a very, very limited range of 5g compatable devices, there will be a 5g router launch tomorrow.

I feel 3 launched prematurely or certainly with not enough clarity or information, just a humble opinion mind you.

No worries, thanks for the info regarding the launch tomorrow. I agree that the launch felt a bit rushed. It would be nice if they were clearer on what devices can and can't connect, as it has been proven that some handsets that aren't on their 5G webpage can connect.

I will post here tomorrow if their 5G broadband rolls out with updates on whether my router has connected over 5G or not, though I don't have my hopes up.

• Advertisement

Only passed on info I had, namely launch tomorrow, plan, price, fair usage etc, I'll now write on the blackboard, I must not have an opinion 100 times

The information you were passing on was that we don't know the routers Three are offering yet, and that we wouldn't until tomorrow, that was wrong, and had you bothered to read the posts on here, on the same page you were posting on, you would have seen that.

On other posts here you are wibbling on and on about things you obviously are clueless about, so like I said, you're just contributing more heat than light.

The information you were passing on was that we don't know the routers Three are offering yet, and that we wouldn't until tomorrow, that was wrong, and had you bothered to read the posts on here, on the same page you were posting on, you would have seen that.

No, I infact passed on I had just found out, my contact didn't know or have details on router, I didn't think to look back on previous posts and I apologise sincerely for my ineptitude, gross irresponsibility, horrendous lack of appreciation for those who clearly have all the answers and heartlessness in sharing info I had, it's completely unforgivable.

Your belligerence duly noted but not appreciated.

I for one am grateful that Dempo1 let us know about tomorrow.

Someone pissed in Herald's cornflakes.

I for one am grateful that Dempo1 let us know about tomorrow.

Someone pissed in Herald's cornflakes.

Appreciate that, Gosh some people really get excitable on Boards, I don't and never claimed to have all the answers but without saying too much, I do have a little inside track on Three.

For what it's worth, 3 have by far been the superior network when it comes to broadband, particularly rural locations. My genuine fear is an over expectation of their 5g network, its at extremely early stages and as some have confirmed, very limited devices compatable (something probably only learned by some in this thread)

All I really want to say is choose carefully, double and triple check coverage and if considering a contract with 5g broadband, check there's a return policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 SeanaciousD

Cheers for the update Dempo!

I think we both agree that they are not doing any IMEI blocking, but I think they are definitely doing something right now to stop 5G routers from connecting to the network. It's certainly not a coverage issue on my side as while I am rural, I am in direct line of sight of the 3 tower, with a full bar 5G signal according to the router. I can get speeds close to 250Mbps on 4G when it's quiet, just hoping for a bit more consistency at peak times on 5G, should have a lot less contention on the airwaves (for now at least).

Hopefully they will stop whatever blocking they are doing tomorrow. Fingers crossed some of us will be reporting good news by the evening :)

Cheers for the update Dempo!

I think we both agree that they are not doing any IMEI blocking, but I think they are definitely doing something right now to stop 5G routers from connecting to the network. It's certainly not a coverage issue on my side as while I am rural, I am in direct line of sight of the 3 tower, with a full bar 5G signal according to the router. I can get speeds close to 250Mbps on 4G when it's quiet, just hoping for a bit more consistency at peak times on 5G, should have a lot less contention on the airwaves (for now at least).

Hopefully they will stop whatever blocking they are doing tomorrow. Fingers crossed some of us will be reporting good news by the evening :)

Absolutely :)

An IMEI number is a single identifier used to identify a single individual mobile device. No network uses this number to allocate whichever services a user is intitled to.

The only purpose the IMEI serves the MNO, and the customer, is to allow both the capability to identify the handset, and lock down the phone in the case of theft.

The IMSI number on the other hand, is a different kettle of fish. This is the International Mobile Subscriber Identity. The first part of the IMSI is comprised of five digits in the European standard. It identifies the subscriber’s MNO in a specific country.

The second part is allocated by the MNO to uniquely identify the subscriber and their rights and capabilities on the network.

The IMSI is stored in the SIM inside the phone and is sent by the phone to the appropriate mobile network to discern what it is allowed to do.

The IMSI is a part of the Home Location Register (HLR), which is a database of SIMs, and the capabilities and services they may avail of.

It is this the MNO's use to distinguish what services the SIM can avail of. Here in Ireland for example, O2 in the past, prevented the use of tethering on many of their plans, or charged inordinate prices were a customer to attempt to do so.Tethering in this instance covered the usage of Phone SIMs in routers also.

Using the IMSI, the MNO can decide to block the SIM from working in a router eventhough it has a paid up 5g bundle, similarily it may block the SIM from connecting on 5G but allow it on 4G.

Whether Three have decided to do this is all that remains to be seen.

An IMEI number is a single identifier used to identify a single individual mobile device. No network uses this number to allocate whichever services a user is intitled to.

The only purpose the IMEI serves the MNO, and the customer, is to allow both the capability to identify the handset, and lock down the phone in the case of theft.

The IMSI number on the other hand, is a different kettle of fish. This is the International Mobile Subscriber Identity. The first part of the IMSI is comprised of five digits in the European standard. It identifies the subscriber’s MNO in a specific country.

The second part is allocated by the MNO to uniquely identify the subscriber and their rights and capabilities on the network.

The IMSI is stored in the SIM inside the phone and is sent by the phone to the appropriate mobile network to discern what it is allowed to do.

The IMSI is a part of the Home Location Register (HLR), which is a database of SIMs, and the capabilities and services they may avail of.

It is this the MNO's use to distinguish what services the SIM can avail of. Here in Ireland for example, O2 in the past, prevented the use of tethering on many of their plans, or charged inordinate prices were a customer to attempt to do so.Tethering in this instance covered the usage of Phone SIMs in routers also.

Using the IMSI, the MNO can decide to block the SIM from working in a router eventhough it has a paid up 5g bundle, similarily it may block the SIM from connecting on 5G but allow it on 4G.

Whether Three have decided to do this is all that remains to be seen.

Yes, all correct however it's not a tethering issue, three never restricted tethering, but yes, o2 did, it was a serious problem around the time 3 took over o2. Whilst 3 discouraged tethering (actually in the small print) they never acted upon customers abusing it, more recently however there's been an update on this and other contractual terms and conditions, note point 4 in the attached link.

https://notifications.three.ie/EECC/billpay/1

Yes, all correct however it's not a tethering issue, three never restricted tethering, but yes, o2 did, it was a serious problem around the time 3 took over o2. Whilst 3 discouraged tethering (actually in the small print) they never acted upon customers abusing it, more recently however there's been an update on this and other contractual terms and conditions, note point 4 in the attached link.

https://notifications.three.ie/EECC/billpay/1

And nowhere in there does it say that while tethering/using the SIM in a router that you will have access to 5G.

• Advertisement

And nowhere in there does it say that while tethering/using the SIM in a router that you will have access to 5G.

My point clearly and perhaps deliberately missed by you is tethering NOT the issue, nor is it the IMEI, as for all the other awe inspiring info you've taken the time to educate us with, completely irrelevant to the basic understanding of why a ligitimate sim with a 5g bundle activated is not working in a 5g device in a stated 5g coverage area. Its simply absurd, the notion that any network are promoting a 5g network and not clearly stating restrictions and limitations to a small handful of devices. I don't recall any other network in Ireland having these issues and it certainly does not encourage confidence for those who wish to avail of said service.

So again and perhaps difficult to grasp, caution if purchasing a 5g device not flashed on 3 network and extra caution if signing into a long contract offering 5g service.

No need to get upset and No need for further enlightenment.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,160 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its simply absurd, the notion that any network are promoting a 5g network and not clearly stating restrictions and limitations to a small handful of devices.

Just for clarity there was a small bit of this with early 4G until some baseband updates were pushed. Not huge, but it did happen.

Considering whats going on with OnePlus I wouldnt be surprised if this is more of an OEM issue vs an MNO side config.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

https://www.three.ie/shop/broadband/broadband-devices/ showing devices to be the HUAWEI 5G CPE H312-371 from €199 and and Huawei 5G CPE Pro 2 from €149 bill pay only. (sorry if this was previously known info)

Had recently considered purchasing the former model for mast mount for less signal losses. Nice pricey router (more radio gateway). I can only hope they will in time launch some plan that isn't a 24 month contract.

Coverage map is evidently the illusion it was assumed to be. Map shows me 5G covered but address check results in
    We're still working on 5G in your area. Check out these great 4G plans with All You Can Eat Data instead.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Incorrect you're giving alot of misleading information
    since I started this thread mate, it's simple you topup and buy a 5G add on there is no new APN settings, Three don't even stock or sell the device I am using it works as long as you have coverage.

There is plenty rural coverage especially in places you least expect it ( tried and tested) infact I find their coverage map more accurate in rural locations than here in Dublin.

Anyone with a 5G phone make sure 5G is enabled and you have purchased the add on. Go to comreg site viewer and see where there is a 5G enabled mast near you and test your device near by or use an app like nPerf and go for a spin in the car it will map 5G whenever you have coverage.

My current location is covered on the Three coverage map but there is no 5G here yet give it time, they prioritised the rural roll out.

KP

Yes I'm sure, 5g services is classified as an add on and the service has to be activated, a 4g sim without 5g services activated won't work or be able to access 5g services or network.

Also, there will be specific apn settings for their 5g services. I agree its been common practice for people to purchase €20 prepay sims and put in modems but those who have any issues will soon discover 3"s attitude to this when they seek assistance.

3 can not block Services based on IMEI and never have, this would cause enormous issues for those customers who purchase their own unlocked devices. 3 only use IMEI info to blacklist a lost or stolen device but can only do so with devices purchased through them.

I have tried a good few different addresses now and none of them are working, even though they are in 5g areas according to the map.

I am thinking its still not live / available for purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

I have tried a good few different addresses now and none of them are working, even though they are in 5g areas according to the map.

I am thinking its still not live / available for purchase.

Same as that, my fathers house is supposedly covered going by the map but not showing. I tried a few address in town as well where 5G is well covered and all show the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Apparently 5g broadband is only available to businesses customers as of yet.

I am entitled to get the government staff pricing. I have a contact in Three that I email for myself and my staff to get these rates.

I emailed and asked if they were doing anything for 5g broadband, I got the following response.

Hi Tzardine,

We don’t have a package available for 5G just yet but I’m sure we will in the coming months,

I can contact you when we do if that would suit

Kind Regards

Three Rep Person

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

Has anyone tested a sim-unlocked HUAWEI 5G CPE Pro2 Router H122-373 bought from somewhere other than 3 with a 3 PAYG SIM + 5G add-on yesterday or today?

I know some people tested previously and it didn't work, just wondering if 3 have since checked a box to allow that device to work on their network since they launched that router for sale on their website.

• Advertisement

From what I can see, the routers are not for sale yet on the website.

While there is a page up for each of the new routers, it is not possible to follow through and purchase one yet.

Advertisement