Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Three Ireland 5G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭padair

weeb wrote: »
    That's a shame. I was considering buying the CPE Pro 1 but from what I can see online, people haven't been able to get adequate 5G speeds in routers. I'm not sure what I'll do.

The one I had had no connection at the back for antenna so could not do that option either. Shame

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

Worth testing if you can get 5g on a handset I think. Might not have been the CPE at fault. I'm testing a Three PAYG sim with the 5g add-on in a sim-unlocked Galaxy S10 5G and can't get 5g signal, even when I'm right next to a mast that the call centre confirmed has 5g.

I've previously been able to get 5g signal with a Vodafone bill-pay SIM on the same device.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Caspero wrote: »
    Worth testing if you can get 5g on a handset I think. Might not have been the CPE at fault. I'm testing a Three PAYG sim with the 5g add-on in a sim-unlocked Galaxy S10 5G and can't get 5g signal, even when I'm right next to a mast that the call centre confirmed has 5g.

I've previously been able to get 5g signal with a Vodafone bill-pay SIM on the same device.
    Does the device support the band that Three is using for 5G from that mast?

Getting a 5g phone next week to test this out. Staying positive that it was the router but you never know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

Maybe im just in a good area, but the cpe pro has gave me a huge boost in speeds.
    Iv still not seen any 5g coverage in my area :( but i'll happily take the speeds its giving me.
    When i did have 5g in dundalk for a few minutes i got over 200mb vs the usual 10-20mb on 4g.
    Tho i have had others say their only getting 30-40mb on 5g. Maybe it was a lucky speedtest.

4g+ at home is giving me 60-100mb average. Iv seen iy close to 250mb during the night. Thats up from maybe 10mb on the old router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,160 ✭✭✭✭ED E

lankz92 wrote: »
    Maybe im just in a good area, but the cpe pro has gave me a huge boost in speeds.
    Iv still not seen any 5g coverage in my area :( but i'll happily take the speeds its giving me.
    When i did have 5g in dundalk for a few minutes i got over 200mb vs the usual 10-20mb on 4g.
    Tho i have had others say their only getting 30-40mb on 5g. Maybe it was a lucky speedtest.

4g+ at home is giving me 60-100mb average. Iv seen iy close to 250mb during the night. Thats up from maybe 10mb on the old router.

4G+ (LTEA) has far more capacity as it stands so you can aggregate multiple cells and get huge speeds. Going from a CAT4 say device to CAT16/20 lets you leverage a huge amount of airtime.

but the cpe pro has gave me a huge boost in speeds....Thats up from maybe 10mb on the old router.

What was your old router lankz92?

You have me wondering if upgrading my Huawei E5186 is worthwhile. I get 4G+ on my handset in my area...not sure whether nor not the E5186 is a 4G or 4g+ device though

ED E wrote: »
    4G+ (LTEA) has far more capacity as it stands so you can aggregate multiple cells and get huge speeds. Going from a CAT4 say device to CAT16/20 lets you leverage a huge amount of airtime.

Is that also true of going from a CAT6 device to a CAT 16/20 device ED E? Also would you know if the network have to have hardware installed to facilitate this or is this managed at the device level?

And when you say CAT you're talking about LTE CAT right?

I see my router is LTE CAT6 but apart from seeing the max data rate, I don't really know if that means it can aggregate from multiple cells or not. My speeds never approach the theoretical maximum for the router so I hadn't previously thought of upgrading.

I had a b315 i think it was.
    Its years old.

Thing is tho i did get 20-30mb constant on it until maybe about 2-3 months ago then it droped to about 10mb at best.

Either way im happy with the cpe pro, yes i could probly spend half the price on a 4g+ router but at least i'll have 5g when it eventually gets here.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Hi.

I'm thinking of upgrading my 4 y-o phone & considering getting a 5g enabled one (sim free online)
    already with 3 so just a matter of adding the extra 5eur

Does anyone know what bands 3 operate on in Ireland?

the phone I'm looking at (Xiaomi Mi 10T Pro 5G) has the following 5g bands :

- 5G: n1/n3/n7/n8/n20/n28/n38/n41/n77/n78

However it's NSA only rather than dual 5g. Is the deployment in Ireland mainly NSA across all operators?

update:
    kimovil reporting it's compatible on vodafone who use N78 (3500MHz) but no info on eir or three
    https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi-10t-pro

• Advertisement

N78 is the only band here iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Hi.

I'm thinking of upgrading my 4 y-o phone & considering getting a 5g enabled one (sim free online)

Does anyone know what bands 3 operate on in Ireland?

the phone I'm looking at (Xiaomi Mi 10T Pro 5G) has the following 5g bands :

- 5G: n1/n3/n7/n8/n20/n28/n38/n41/n77/n78

However it's NSA only rather than dual 5g. Is the deployment in Ireland mainly NSA across all operators?

update:
    kimovil reporting it's compatible on vodafone who use N78 (3500MHz) but no info on eir or three
    https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi-10t-pro

NSA is Non Stand Alone, it means the phone uses 5g for download and 4g for upload, SA would mean 5g for upload and download. Dual sim seems to be a problem for some manufacturers at the moment, oneplus and apple being two, where if a phone has 2 sim cards populating the sim tray, the phone is only capable of utilising 4g on either sim. In otherwords, 5g will only work where the 5G sim is inserted and the other tray is left empty.

NSA or SA doesnt apply to dual sim in the way you seem to think it does.

All Irish MNO's are using n78 for the moment, I think n41 may be utilised in the nearer future.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 weeb

Not entirely true, you need to switch to the new 3Pay €20 p/m plan which, if you switch online this month, there is a 50% discount so you will only need to top-up by €10 to activate the plan. From there, you can purchase the 5G add-on which is an extra €5 a month.

The catch between this new plan and the old one is you no longer get to keep your credit or stack it up, so once you top-up, your balance is back to €0. Unless of course you add an extra top-up yourself. This may come as a disadvantage to those who spend their credit on the Play Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,160 ✭✭✭✭ED E

weeb wrote: »
    Not entirely true, you need to switch to the new 3Pay €20 p/m plan which, if you switch online this month, there is a 50% discount so you will only need to top-up by €10 to activate the plan. From there, you can purchase the 5G add-on which is an extra €5 a month.

The catch between this new plan and the old one is you no longer get to keep your credit or stack it up, so once you top-up, your balance is back to €0. Unless of course you add an extra top-up yourself. This may come as a disadvantage to those who spend their credit on the Play Store.

Its a big catch.
    N78 is the only band here iirc

Tis. For now.
    Is that also true of going from a CAT6 device to a CAT 16/20 device ED E? Also would you know if the network have to have hardware installed to facilitate this or is this managed at the device level?

And when you say CAT you're talking about LTE CAT right?

I see my router is LTE CAT6 but apart from seeing the max data rate, I don't really know if that means it can aggregate from multiple cells or not. My speeds never approach the theoretical maximum for the router so I hadn't previously thought of upgrading.

You have to have the network to provide it, device to receive it AND reception of multiple carriers to aggregate. With Three lots of 4G sites can push 220Mb+ to one client but unless you're in an area well served by fixed line you'll never see those speeds. I know of quiet masts where I can get it but they arent the norm.

5G will have a little of this for a while, probably until Christmas when 5G iphones are activated en masse and the 3 users/cell advantage is decimated.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Got the HUAWEI 5G CPE Pro. What a waste. I'm getting full 5g and full 4g bars, but when i go to use it I'm only get about 50Mbps. When i do the optimise location feature, 5g doesn't even register, despite the full bars.

On my Huawei b535 I'm getting 100-110Mbps on 4g.

What the hell???

tiny timy wrote: »
    Got the HUAWEI 5G CPE Pro. What a waste. I'm getting full 5g and full 4g bars, but when i go to use it I'm only get about 50Mbps. When i do the optimise location feature, 5g doesn't even register, despite the full bars.

On my Huawei b535 I'm getting 100-110Mbps on 4g.

What the hell???

I had the same issue.
    Three's coverage guide is fiction. Time to talk with comreg

I'm getting full 5g and full 4g bars

Have you successfully transfered any data on 5g or was the 50mbps when you were connected with 4G?

I think Three's technical team have only authorised certain devices for use on its 5G network.

Have you successfully transfered any data on 5g or was the 50mbps when you were connected with 4G?

I think Three's technical team have only authorised certain devices for use on its 5G network.

Data transfer only happens on the 4g. Will probably have to wait a while longer so for my devices to be authorised by 3 if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I don't suppose that list of devices they have authorisedis available? I just assumed any device that could access the band (N78 in this case) would be fine.

I have bought a One Plus 8 and I am considering Three's 5G plan, would like a bit of certainty around if it would work with my device (obviously I will ask them directly if I decide to do so).

Data transfer only happens on the 4g. Will probably have to wait a while longer so for my devices to be authorised by 3 if that's the case.
    1huge1 wrote: »
    I don't suppose that list of devices they have authorisedis available? I just assumed any device that could access the band (N78 in this case) would be fine.

I have bought a One Plus 8 and I am considering Three's 5G plan, would like a bit of certainty around if it would work with my device (obviously I will ask them directly if I decide to do so).

3 haven't really launched their 5G broadband yet, but it seems that it's the Huawei 5G cpe Pro 2 that they will be using. The reason I think this is that they have a web page ready to go featuring it.It doesn't as yet come up as a device on their website, but if you search google you can see the first entry after the ads gives you this: Digital | Huawei 5G CPE Pro 2 - Three

https://www.google.ie/search?sxsrf=ALeKk03KDoLVhs1KiloYzU8_xPWvD73U3Q%3A1603304239280&ei=L3uQX-jMEJCr1fAPp-27gAQ&q=Digital+%7C+Huawei+5G+CPE+Pro+2+-+Three&oq=Digital+%7C+Huawei+5G+CPE+Pro+2+-+Three&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQDDIICCEQFhAdEB46BAgAEEdQrZwCWK2cAmDqqgJoAHACeACAAVaIAVaSAQExmAEAoAECoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpesgBCMABAQ&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwiooJjdpcbsAhWQVRUIHaf2DkAQ4dUDCA0

• Advertisement

3 haven't really launched their 5G broadband yet, but it seems that it's the Huawei 5G cpe Pro 2 that they will be using. The reason I think this is that they have a web page ready to go featuring it.It doesn't as yet come up as a device on their website, but if you search google you can see the first entry after the ads gives you this: Digital | Huawei 5G CPE Pro 2 - Three

https://www.google.ie/search?sxsrf=ALeKk03KDoLVhs1KiloYzU8_xPWvD73U3Q%3A1603304239280&ei=L3uQX-jMEJCr1fAPp-27gAQ&q=Digital+%7C+Huawei+5G+CPE+Pro+2+-+Three&oq=Digital+%7C+Huawei+5G+CPE+Pro+2+-+Three&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQDDIICCEQFhAdEB46BAgAEEdQrZwCWK2cAmDqqgJoAHACeACAAVaIAVaSAQExmAEAoAECoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpesgBCMABAQ&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwiooJjdpcbsAhWQVRUIHaf2DkAQ4dUDCA0

If that is the case then the CPE Pro should definitely work as they are practically the same machine. Maybe a few more weeka and there might be an resolution to it all.
    https://blog.router-switch.com/2020/03/buyer-guide-huawei-5g-cpe-pro-vs-huawei-5g-cpe-pro-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

What's the difference between the legacy €20 plan and the current one? Can you not use the €20 for apps anymore?

If that is the case then the CPE Pro should definitely work as they are practically the same machine. Maybe a few more weeka and there might be an resolution to it all.
    https://blog.router-switch.com/2020/03/buyer-guide-huawei-5g-cpe-pro-vs-huawei-5g-cpe-pro-2/

Yeah, In theory once the unit has band n78 it should no matter what it is. I don't think the MNO's here do a lot of personalisation with routers unless they want to do a whole load of plan slicing, which the Irish MNO's have shied away from, and have in fact gone the opposite direction. Three, for example, have only two offerings, One prepaid and one AYCE Billpay.

I like the Huawei Routers I've used over the past couple of years, I'm using a B618 at the moment, and its pretty good, 200-300Mb even at peak, I'm disappointed with the CPE Pro 2 at the moment though, I got one which was practically DOA, and I see a few complaints from other posters here as well. My replacement unit is due next week, so Hoping for better. I'm pretty close to a 5G mast when working from home and I'm heading into work one day next week which puts me in proximity to another mast near Trinity for testing. If I don't get some sort of Signal, I'll be going for my money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 T55PLUS

Purchased a Three “5G Booster” today after using the using the “Coverage Checker” on Three(.)ie to confirm I was in an area with 5G coverage.

My 5G device showed no 5G signal after a system restart so I contacted Three.

Apparently 5G indoor coverage is down in my area (South Dublin) and a technical team is working on it. No time frame was given when asked.

I will update this post if anything changes. If nothing changes by the end of the 28 days i'm sure the lovely Three staff that peruse these threads would consider refunding my €5…

T55PLUS wrote: »
    Purchased a Three “5G Booster” today after using the using the “Coverage Checker” on Three(.)ie to confirm I was in an area with 5G coverage.

Apparently 5G indoor coverage is down in my area (South Dublin) and a technical team is working on it. No time frame was given when asked.

I will update this post if anything changes. If nothing changes by the end of the 28 days i'm sure the lovely Three staff that peruse these threads would consider refunding my €5…

In fairness to Three, I think someone upthread mentioned that on contacting them, and explaining the issue, they did refund the 5er?

I suggest you ask them where a working outdoor tower is. When I called one of the support staff gave me the same line and told me there was only one 5g tower in my city at XYZ location.

I doubted that was true given the 3 5g map shows coverage over the entire city and much of the surrounding area - that would require a lot of masts! I figured it was either the call centre personnel trying to get a difficult to solve issue off the phone or alternatively their information was out of date. So I drove right to where that 1 mast she mentioned was located. No 5g signal. I stood outside my car and called the call centre again from that spot. They were able to see where I was so they couldn't use that excuse again :)

They then finally logged the case with the technical team. The team responded that my device wasn't yet authorised for use on the 5g network - which makes a lot more sense than the ****e the original rep tried to sell me. She was so adamant too when I told her the online map showed coverage over the entire city..."no I just checked our internal systems and there's just 1 mast". Yeah right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 T55PLUS

I suggest you ask them where a working outdoor tower is.

Yes, good point. According to ComReg SiteViewer Three has a NR/5G mast approximately 1.5 km away from me. I don't know enough about NR/5G technology to make a comment on that though.
    When I called one of the support staff gave me the same line and told me there was only one 5g tower in my city at XYZ location.

I doubted that was true given the 3 5g map shows coverage over the entire city and much of the surrounding area - that would require a lot of masts! I figured it was either the call centre personnel trying to get a difficult to solve issue off the phone or alternatively their information was out of date. So I drove right to where that 1 mast was located. No 5g signal. I stood outside my car and called the call centre again from that spot. They were able to see where I was so they couldn't use that excuse again :)

lol well played Sir. That's why I made this post, if anything it’s about accountability so companies won’t pull the same thing on many others.
    They then finally logged the case with the technical team. The team responded that my device wasn't yet authorised for use on the 5g network - which makes a lot more sense than the ****e the original rep tried to sell me. She was so adamant too when I told her the online map showed coverage over the entire city..."no I just checked our internal systems and there's just 1 mast". Yeah right.

Interesting, so they "registered" your device on the system and then you received a push notification with new settings from the network or something of the sort? I wonder why they don’t just register all 5G devices on the network, although probably not as simple as that I imagine.

Interesting, so they "registered" your device on the system and then you received a push notification with new settings from the network or something of the sort? I wonder why they don’t just register all 5G devices on the network, although probably not as simple as that I imagine.

I think they do this once for any 5g device that's going to be compatible to be used on their network (can access the bands, isn't from some unknown manufacturer who didn't spec it right etc), and would usually have it done in advance of the device launch. I guess because the 5g network is so new they haven't done it yet for some of the 5g devices that are out there. I vaguely remember having to do something similar with an older phone when 4g was first launched...and it worked after a while once they'd completed their check and ticked the box to allow that device access their network.

I tried my 5g enabled sim in a new 5g phone. There is no 5g option on my phone with the three sim, but when I put in a 48 sim, I can see a 5g option in my network settings

• Advertisement

Further update:

I spoke with three and apparently Oneplus phones are not compatible for 5G with three. They are waiting for an update from Oneplus to enable phones to work on their network. Is this a load of **** or what?

Advertisement