Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Archbishops call for Catholics to be allowed to attend Mass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That's just a link it has a large number of theories in it. Which one do you believe?

For me if God does exist he is malevolent or just made us for fun and doesn't care which means in either sense he is not worth the praise.

Also judging by his actions maybe The Lightbringer was right to question him and you are worshipping a man based on false propaganda while the real hero rots in hell

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Are you counting the Bouncy Castle Catholics among these billions?

I just have to know what this means. I've never heard the term before but my brain is throwing up some funny pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

godvsatan.jpg

Imagine us as a society pandering to extemists who worship this mass murderer.

godvsatan.jpg

Man it always cracks me up seeing god and Satan in graph form

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Haven't read the entire thread.

I am glad that Churches are closed during Level 3 and upwards. Any indoor setting is riskier than outdoor. Also there is Communion.

My Mum is elderly with underlying conditions and insists on going to Mass every day. She is also a Minister for the Eucharist.
    The only way she will not go to Mass is if it is not taking place.
    So I am relieved that Mass is not happening.

Am sure your Mum is still capable of making decisions for herself. It's no wonder the pensioners have aged years in this pandemic. They've become shadows of themselves not allowed anywhere & their families don't visit saying it's 'for their own good'. My mum a widow goes every day it's on local & the mid week masses she says lucky to be 12 people there but it's a reason for her to get up n out every day & am disgusted least these weekday masses can't carry on -with limited numbers if they think there will be a crowd!
    I am not at all religious by the way so it's not like I want to get rushing up to mass!

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I just have to know what this means. I've never heard the term before but my brain is throwing up some funny pictures

It's a more accurate description of the "cultural" RCs, the ones who have no interest in religion apart from the day they make out of baptisms, communions and confirmations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

godvsatan.jpg

Incredible stat really isn't it. Particularly given the information is coming from "the word of the Lord", so you would have thought it would be biased towards himself.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Incredible stat really isn't it. Particularly given the information is coming from "the word of the Lord", so you would have thought it would be biased towards himself.

The ten Satan killed, he had to kill because he lost a bet with "Our Lord".

But let's open churches to get old people in to kiss this guy's ass!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Tork wrote: »
    Back in August I went to a family member's anniversary Mass. Nearly everyone wore a mask in the church (you'll always have the refuseniks) and they had everyone well spread out. They had an adjacent hall to take the extra people and some volunteers keeping an eye on things. There was no plate passed around (they had it at the door), communion was given into the hand at people's seats and no shaking hands. I'm not religious but I thought it was well organised and safe.
    Similarly, I've been to a few masses out of respect for others. In the Church was fine. However, outside afterwards, not so much... Masks straight off, well within 2m, lots of mingling.

That's part of the logic that the GAA used to postpone matches - it wasn't the matches, it was the afters.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

It is bias towards him. He's showing us very clearly what happens when you disobey. The Catholic church is based on the fear of punishment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Tork

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Similarly, I've been to a few masses out of respect for others. In the Church was fine. However, outside afterwards, not so much... Masks straight off, well within 2m, lots of mingling.

That's part of the logic that the GAA used to postpone matches - it wasn't the matches, it was the afters.

That's the problem, isn't it? I'm not a mass goer but heard other family members talk about their local churches as we stood outside afterwards with our masks still on. I get the impression that other churches are taking similar measures to keep their congregations safe. But just as with GAA matches, people just can't help themselves. It's ruining things for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Juza1973

Pure nonsense from a criminal organisation bereft of any credibility.

Anyway who cares about committing sin any more, there's no hell. :rolleyes:

Funny how you didn't say "there's no Paradise", but "there's no hell".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Churches can’t be trusted, nor should they be listened to.

They’ll blame humanity for covid.

But they’ll praise some fictional beardy being up beyond space when a vaccine is found. People working away in labs won’t come into it.

All they are worried about with already dwindling church attendances is covid adding to it. People being used to getting mass on tv. The church want people down IN church putting their hand in their pockets. Covid is inconvenient to their goals and ambitions.

The call they want is the call that flys against ALL expert health advice. Don’t forget it. No interest in people, just their organization.

Juza1973 wrote: »
    Funny how you didn't say "there's no Paradise", but "there's no hell".

How is it funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Tork wrote: »
    Back in August I went to a family member's anniversary Mass. Nearly everyone wore a mask in the church (you'll always have the refuseniks) and they had everyone well spread out. They had an adjacent hall to take the extra people and some volunteers keeping an eye on things. There was no plate passed around (they had it at the door), communion was given into the hand at people's seats and no shaking hands. I'm not religious but I thought it was well organised and safe.

How is a blatant disregard for the guidelines safe?

The mass shouldn't have gone ahead until it was made sure anyone without a mask was out of the building.

Communion given into the hand is the biggest issue. You can't do that from 2m away.

The above is why mass must be stopped. They don't give 2 ****s about the guidelines or peoples health and call themselves safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Figures for masses on RTÉ are far higher than RTÉ would have anticipated.

Between habit , tradition , a community meeting point , people praying for some favour etc etc there’s plenty of people still interested in attending mass . If only 30% of the population attend mass that’s still well over a million people , not many groups have those numbers .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

breezy1985 wrote: »
    That's just a link it has a large number of theories in it. Which one do you believe?

For me if God does exist he is malevolent or just made us for fun and doesn't care which means in either sense he is not worth the praise.

Also judging by his actions maybe The Lightbringer was right to question him and you are worshipping a man based on false propaganda while the real hero rots in hell
    The poster didn't understand what I meant by "the problem of evil", wiki has a reasonable introduction to it, hence why I was sharing.

I've discussed my opinion on the problem of evil on other threads such as this one: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058118591

It's not really on topic here tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,019 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Does RTE show mass? I know a few elderly who have strong faith and miss it terribly but needs must

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Does RTE show mass? I know a few elderly who have strong faith and miss it terribly but needs must
    The RTE news channel every morning since early in lockdown and stil continuing

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

Catholic Church looking for money as usual. It's not bringing back the the people it's looking for money for the richest organization in the world fückin joke is the Catholic Church. And before anyone ask I was reared as Catholic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

eviltwin wrote: »
    I think its the fact they see themselves as special that they should be considered in a way other business or recreational services are not. I'd love a meeting with the minister to discuss the impact on our clients at work who are missing out on vital services due to lockdown but I wouldn't waste my time because I know we are a small fish in a big pond.

It is natural for any public person who has responsibility to wider groups of people to want to put forward their case, to say why an exception is needed for them. They make the case, it can be rejected. Denying that they should not, suggests animus. With great respect, they would be bigger fish, they have wider responsibilities than you, however important you think your work or clients are.

The Archbishop of Armagh and Dublin, the two Conciliar Catholic Primates of Ireland, have anyhow, been examples of pathetic weakness. This is the only place in Europe with a lockdown on worship. Nothing but the weakest of statements come from them. They are models of passivity. Somewhat related, it is claimed the Islamic Centre in Clonskeagh (which contains a mosque) are ignoring it, although car park use isn't a clincher, as there are various other activities there. Yet respect to them if they are providing the opportunity for Irish Moslems to worship. There are only a few brave priests oppose these new Penal Laws.

Maybe there could be a compromise. Since clothes are not essential, spreading COVID, or something, maybe we will worship naked like the Adamites.

This coronavirus virus, like the common cold, another coronavirus, is something 30% of people start out immune to it. The death rate from those who catch it appears be be under half of one per cent. Re-infection seems to be nugatory. I will likely get moderated for saying so, but the sheer number of deaths promised is not happening. Hospitals are empty, plenty of time for TikTok videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Strumms wrote: »
    Churches can’t be trusted, nor should they be listened to.

They’ll blame humanity for covid.

But they’ll praise some fictional beardy being up beyond space when a vaccine is found. People working away in labs won’t come into it.

This is completely wrong, and unfair.

Sure many scientific innovations were made by monks, priests, etc.

Here is just one, of many:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lema%C3%AEtre

Christian faith and full support of science, and new ideas, are not in conflict.

Sure many Oxford and Cambridge colleges were founded by the Church, and are now developing vaccines.

keavebm wrote: »
    Catholic Church looking for money as usual. It's not bringing back the the people it's looking for money for the richest organization in the world fückin joke is the Catholic Church.

Strange, I looked at the accounts of my parish, they have a lot of costs, and declining revenues.

Richest? The Church owns a lot of old buildings, yes.

Buildings that are costly to maintain.

Buildings that are not easily sold.

So where is the wealth? I see these buildings as liabilities, not assets.

(Exceptions are Dublin properties)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Evry church around here has mass on the radio, mostly for any elderly or ill who cant make it into town. My village has it for years. I think the priest used it afew times during afew bad storms or snow aswell. Im not a church goer but the mother does listen to it, he says the mass then reads out the newsletter then all the latest covid advice.
    Surely the bishops could hire sum1 with a webcam or sumthing to broadcast online or even on the tele?

Geuze wrote: »
    Strange, I looked at the accounts of my parish, they have a lot of costs, and declining revenues.

Richest? The Church owns a lot of old buildings, yes.

Buildings that are costly to maintain.

Buildings that are not easily sold.

So where is the wealth? I see these buildings as liabilities, not assets.

(Exceptions are Dublin properties)

The pope's chair is worth enough to feed 80,000 starving African children for a year. The Vatican has more wealth stored than anyone can comprehend. The money gets sent to the Vatican when it can be but it never comes back.

GarIT wrote: »
    The pope's chair is worth enough to feed 80,000 starving African children for a year. The Vatican has more wealth stored than anyone can comprehend. The money gets sent to the Vatican when it can be but it never comes back.

Paintings in the Vatican are not marketable.

You can't sell those paintings.

The current Pope lives in a regular apartment, he sits in the same chair as you or me.

The pope's chair is worth enough to feed 80,000 starving African children for a year.

Think carefully about this sentence.

Think very carefully.

Note that Ethiopia have an Air Force, with 75 aircraft.

Think about that.

If there are any "starving children" in Ethiopia, and I don't know if there are, then that is entirely the choice of the Ethiopian Government, and nothing to do with what chair the Pope sits on.

There is absolutely no link whatsoever between the furniture in the Vatican and the plight of children in Africa.

There is a link between the governance of African countries and their population's welfare.

Geuze wrote: »
    Paintings in the Vatican are not marketable.

You can't sell those paintings.

The current Pope lives in a regular apartment, he sits in the same chair as you or me.

I was talking about cash rather than assets. I don't see why they can declare thing not for sellable but others can't. The current pope, and maybe the last one put the traditional throne in storage but I don't see why they can sell it, or melt it down.

When they make a profit they turn that profit into assets so they are seen to not make a profit, when they make a loss they can't sell the assets, it's not right.

When they make a profit they turn that profit into assets so they are seen to not make a profit, when they make a loss they can't sell the assets, it's not right.

Parishes don't make profits, as they are not for-profit private sector firms.

The same goes for dioceses.

The same goes for the GAA.

These are clubs, churches, etc. They do not make profits

They may make a surplus some years, yes.

But any surplus is re-invested.

We do not charge them corporation tax on profits, as they do not earn profits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Tzardine wrote: »
    Would the Archbishops not be better off just asking Jesus to come back and cure the Covid-19 epidemic?

2000 years is a decent break in fairness - he needs to get off his hole at some point.

There is a discussion going on here on which many including myself, both believers and unbelievers have an open mind.

Part of the problem is that some have an agenda outside of the safety issue.

Smartass comments like yours do nothing to illuminate.

Advertisement