Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Hi folks, as per the first post no Covid19 discussions, there is a dedicated Covid19 forum here should you wish to discuss further...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1865

No Covid19 posts, thanks

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Not sure I understand slave1. Is what was discussed over the last 10 20 posts deemed covid talk? I mean this is a golf/clubs covid impact thread, no?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I drop in and out of the forum so can't moderate every post, the first post in this thread clearly says no Covid19 talk re restrictions etc.
    I deleted a post already that was way over the line and the reason we want to keep away from Covid talk is the amount of Moderation required earlier in the year.
    Looking back to your post earlier
    "We kinda knew when we closed them the first time around that it was bull. We now know for certain that it was bull."
    That could be considered flaming (I'm not saying it is).
    Light posts like we can't play in Dublin if living outside it are grand but let's keep away from anything else as we're all well peeved off with 2020 Corona at this stage.

Again, there is a dedicated Covid forum and nothing stopping anyone starting a Golf thread there if you want to discuss deeper.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Again, there is a dedicated Covid forum and nothing stopping anyone starting a Golf thread there if you want to discuss deeper.[/B]

I think that would be a very bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭blue note

I think that would be a very bad idea.

I just started one. I think it'll go one of two ways. 1. Nowhere. 2. Abuse for golf. But we'll see.

• Advertisement

blue note wrote: »
    I just started one. I think it'll go one of two ways. 1. Nowhere. 2. Abuse for golf. But we'll see.

<Wraps up the clubs and brings them over to the shed/>

Only messing of course but bringing anything to the attention of the general boards public on that subject is only going to go one way. Things are becoming very - lets say - emotional again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭blue note

<Wraps up the clubs and brings them over to the shed/>

Only messing of course but bringing anything to the attention of the general boards public on that subject is only going to go one way. Things are becoming very - lets say - emotional again.

That or it will drift down to page 10 by the end of the day never to be seen again. I can't imagine people with enough of an interest in covid to be active posters on the covid forum but no interest in golf will have too positive an impression of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

yes and a lot of other forums have no problem with specific covid threads on them
    we are at least concentrating on the golfing situation of the whole crisis. its only right it stays in the golfing forum

Looks like moving to level 3 countrywide which has no impact if you are within the County of your Club.

But with GUI having been extremely vigilant/conservative in the past I could see comps being called off again. Hope not but the way things are you never know...

"No matches, events" I could just see it.

• Advertisement

But with GUI having been extremely vigilant/conservative in the past I could see comps being called off again. Hope not but the way things are you never know...

"No matches, events" I could just see it.

it doesn't make sense. competition golf is the EXACT same as non competitive golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

No Covid-19 posts on a message board in the middle of a worldwide covid-19 pandemic which has literally affected every facet of everybody's lives. Good grief.

This forum is for golfers to chat about golf and the stuff that affects our game. The argument saying you can chat in some other covid-19 forum is daft. People want to chat to generally like-minded people about how this pandemic affects us and our game.

Sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Golf courses will close but horse racing will still be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Rikand wrote: »
    Golf courses will close but horse racing will still be fine

Will you think of the horses!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Seve OB wrote: »
    it doesn't make sense. competition golf is the EXACT same as non competitive golf.

While there may not be huge differences, there are certainly differences.

Everyone entering Clubhouse to sign in/pick up scorecard/enter scores after. I don't think I spotted one person putting a mask on either, myself included.

Scorecards have to be handled by Comp Sec.

Society golf deemed as competitive as well afaik.

There are enough differences there, the main factor is going to be public perception.

PARlance wrote: »
    Everyone entering Clubhouse to sign in/pick up scorecard/enter scores after.
    not necessary at all, but if must go into the shop, can be done like any other shop be they garage, spar, supermarket etc. one at a time, tap only to pay, would take about 30 seconds.

scores entered into the app on your phone.
    I don't think I spotted one person putting a mask on either, myself included.
    nothing to do with golf, thats a society issue and poor form on you and your club for not adhering to best practice.
    i've played in a good few clubs over the last few months & i don't think ive seen anyone go in without a mask.
    no they don't. no cards at all handed in our club. snap a pic and if required you will be asked to forward it on.
    absolutely, won't disagree with you there, but the same principles as above can be followed, exactly as we do with the boards society
    The main factor is going to be public perception.
    thats the problem alright, people who don't understand the game, thinking we are all gathered together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

While there may not be huge differences, there are certainly differences.

Everyone entering Clubhouse to sign in/pick up scorecard/enter scores after. I don't think I spotted one person putting a mask on either, myself included.

There are enough differences there, the main factor is going to be public perception.

I doubt golf crosses the public's mind in general

The thread on the main covid forum has descended into obscurity. Phew.

It is a bit stupid that the regulations for clubs right on the borders of counties are not softened. members should be allowed travel if they are not to far away.

for example, someone lives in south county Dublin close to the border of Wicklow. What clubs are around there, not a lot for the population Woodbrook, Killiney (9 hole), old Conna, Dun Laoghaire.

North Wicklow clubs such as Bray, Powerscourt, Delgany, Charlesland, Greystones, Druids etc are all just as local and are full with members who live right on the border. Same in reverse I would imagine.

But that member cant go to their club which is only a few miles away.

Instead to get their golfing fix they will travel as far north as Balbriggan and all points in between to play in open comps.

Daft, stupid and illogical.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,189 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It is a bit stupid that the regulations for clubs right on the borders of counties are not softened. members should be allowed travel if they are not to far away.

for example, someone lives in south county Dublin close to the border of Wicklow. What clubs are around there, not a lot for the population Woodbrook, Killiney (9 hole), old Conna, Dun Laoghaire.

North Wicklow clubs such as Bray, Powerscourt, Delgany, Charlesland, Greystones, Druids etc are all just as local and are full with members who live right on the border. Same in reverse I would imagine.

But that member cant go to their club which is only a few miles away.

Instead to get their golfing fix they will travel as far north as Balbriggan and all points in between to play in open comps.

Daft, stupid and illogical.

My dad is in old conna and dont think hes allowed play, lives in wicklow. Does live bout 20 mins away but not much can be done, despite club having an address in wicklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,738 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

We've plenty of members from Dublin travelling down who don't think the restrictions apply to them as I see them there every weekend, most over 70 as well!!

What's annoying is our captains prize has been posponed 3 times because of the restrictions.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Any line drawn anywhere using any system or criteria is going to suffer from the same localised issue. There is zero point arguing about it as it's not possible to solve it and have restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Are any clubs banning members from an adjoining county from playing in their club.
    Castlewarden banned all Dublin and Wicklow based members during Kildare lockdown.
    Haven't heard if they are doing it for level 3

GreeBo wrote: »
    Any line drawn anywhere using any system or criteria is going to suffer from the same localised issue. There is zero point arguing about it as it's not possible to solve it and have restrictions.

well earlier in the year there was a point that you could travel anywhere within your own county or a radius of 20km from your own home. that would make a bit of sense at least.

Are any clubs banning members from an adjoining county from playing in their club.
    Castlewarden banned all Dublin and Wicklow based members during Kildare lockdown.
    Haven't heard if they are doing it for level 3

to say that clubs are banning their members sounds quite harsh.

i think its fair to say that clubs are asking their members to abide by the travel restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Some clubs have removed members from neighbouring counties from the BRS system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

well earlier in the year there was a point that you could travel anywhere within your own county or a radius of 20km from your own home. that would make a bit of sense at least.

Lots of golfers didn’t abide by the rules earlier in the year, lots of golfers didn’t abide by the recent Dublin restrictions. No matter what restrictions are in place, there will be lots of golfers who think the rules don’t apply to them, and show up to play wherever the hell they want.

yawhat? wrote: »
    Lots of golfers people didn’t abide by the rules earlier in the year, lots of golfers People didn’t abide by the recent Dublin restrictions. No matter what restrictions are in place, there will be lots of golfers People who think the rules don’t apply to them, and show up to play do wherever Whatever the hell they want.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

It doesnt though. The virus doesnt stop at country lines.
    So I can play golf in my club but my fellow member who lives a good 5 iron away cannot because he is outside the county or he is just over 20km away? What sense does that make? None. But its not supposed to, its just a restriction to limit travel.

It's just not possible to restrict anything and avoid the "but it makes no sense" argument.

The only way is to prevent anyone from playing, which would seem far worse to me, but thats where we will end up if people keep pushing against any regulations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

FYP

It didn’t need to be fixed, but maybe changing it helps to sooth a guilty conscience.

Advertisement