Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Seve OB wrote: »
    FYP

That feels a lot like the "but everyone else was doing it" rationale...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,840 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

yawhat? wrote: »
    It didn’t need to be fixed, but maybe changing it helps to sooth a guilty conscience.
    I’ve nothing to feel guilty about
    GreeBo wrote: »
    That feels a lot like the "but everyone else was doing it" rationale...
    No, it simply saying it not just golfers who are flouting the rules.

If anything I would say golfers are abiding by them more as in my club I notice an awful lot of regulars have opted not to play while restrictions have been in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

I’ve nothing to feel guilty about

Why, because you’re different? And the rules weren’t really for people like you, they were for other people? And anyway the rules don’t make sense?

Why, because you’re different? And the rules weren’t really for people like you, they were for other people? And anyway the rules don’t make sense?

I think you need to take a step back here and re-reread what I have written because it appears to me that you have made your own decisions that I am ignoring the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭Russman

On a lighter note, isn't the stream that runs through Lisheen Springs actually the Dublin/Wicklow border ? Meaning some holes are in Dublin but most are in Wicklow.
    Can open, worms everywhere.......:D

Apologies, I know COVID is certainly not a laughing matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

I think you need to take a step back here and re-reread what I have written because it appears to me that you have made your own decisions that I am ignoring the rules.

Maybe you shouldnt have changed my post in a smart arsed way. It appears to have exposed your guilty conscience, and now you can’t let it lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Pretty sure everyone or the majority of people probably ignored the rules at some point. we aren't saints so get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Russman wrote: »
    On a lighter note, isn't the stream that runs through Lisheen Springs actually the Dublin/Wicklow border ? Meaning some holes are in Dublin but most are in Wicklow.
    Can open, worms everywhere.......:D

Apologies, I know COVID is certainly not a laughing matter.

some holes start in dublin and finish in wicklow.

Maybe you shouldnt have changed my post in a smart arsed way. It appears to have exposed your guilty conscience, and now you can’t let it lie.

I FYP your post in a fashion similar to posts all across boards to show the flaws in it. It clearly upset you, so I'm sorry about that. Maybe you truly believe it is only golfers who have bent the rules and I was just pointing out that it is not only golfers who have ignored the rules.

You still seem hung up on the fact that you believe I have a guilty conscience, despite me asking you to reflect on my posts.

For the record, I live in Dublin. I'm a member of a north Wicklow club. I have not played there in the last few weeks and don't plan on doing so for a while. Earlier in the year, I respected the 5km travel restrictions and didn't play golf at my home club. I did however travel over the 20km restrictions when they came in, but I think they disappeared as soon at they were introduced anyway.

Now I'll let it lie and won't be engaging with you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭bustercherry

etxp wrote: »
    Pretty sure everyone or the majority of people probably ignored the rules at some point. we aren't saints so get over it.

Must remember that on Saturday when informing my marker of my scores 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Are any clubs banning members from an adjoining county from playing in their club.
    Castlewarden banned all Dublin and Wicklow based members during Kildare lockdown.
    Haven't heard if they are doing it for level 3

Castlewarden have continued to ask their members to adhere to the lockdowns in place and our timesheet is very scant. I'm not sure if they are turning people away, but I know that they did turn some away that showed up when the original Kildare lockdown happened, so assume they'll continue with the same.

They did try and arrange a reciprocal agreement with both Lucan and Newlands where their Kildare members could play our place and they offered limited times to our Dublin Members, but they were very limited, and just for casual golf at non-peak times.

Its a nice gesture though by the clubs, but they have busy memberships so would be a bit much to request that they give up a sizeable chunk of their timesheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭blue note

Castlewarden have continued to ask their members to adhere to the lockdowns in place and our timesheet is very scant. I'm not sure if they are turning people away, but I know that they did turn some away that showed up when the original Kildare lockdown happened, so assume they'll continue with the same.

They did try and arrange a reciprocal agreement with both Lucan and Newlands where their Kildare members could play our place and they offered limited times to our Dublin Members, but they were very limited, and just for casual golf at non-peak times.

Its a nice gesture though by the clubs, but they have busy memberships so would be a bit much to request that they give up a sizeable chunk of their timesheet.

That's a good idea. If they bring back the 5k limit I'd like to see corballis do this with Portmarnock golf club for the members living in Portmarnock. And I'd be happy for them to play my course while I can't.
    As long as they replace their divots.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Really trying not to post about Co Vid and golf Space.......arrrrrgggghhh i have a good feeling about tonights big game, Jack Byrne with the winner in the 90th minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Would golf, casual or otherwise be allowed under a level 4 does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Would golf, casual or otherwise be allowed under a level 4 does anyone know?

Should be business as usual under level 4 but the GUI guidelines may be different like earlier this year when they inexplicably enforced casual play only for a few weeks after full lockdown ended

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

My home course is 4kms from where I work in Offaly but I live in Roscommon which means I can’t play it yet again with local restrictions (I’m perfectly fine with restrictions if they help reduce this damm virus)
    I’ve another course which is only a few miles from my house but can’t play it as it’s over the Galway border!!
    Looks like if I want to play any golf I’ve to try get out in Athlone GC, hopefully can get a few rounds in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭AOH77A

I am in the same position. Club is 4km away but in a different county. However if it moves to level 5 we are ok to play.

AOH77A wrote: »
    I am in the same position. Club is 4km away but in a different county. However if it moves to level 5 we are ok to play.

Sums the daftness up really

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

charlieIRL wrote: »
    My home course is 4kms from where I work in Offaly but I live in Roscommon which means I can’t play it yet again with local restrictions (I’m perfectly fine with restrictions if they help reduce this damm virus)
    I’ve another course which is only a few miles from my house but can’t play it as it’s over the Galway border!!
    Looks like if I want to play any golf I’ve to try get out in Athlone GC, hopefully can get a few rounds in there.

You should be a member in Athlone anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Finlay Harp

I know of a group of golfers that left County Down yesterday morning and played a course in Westmeath without a problem. It pissed me off when I heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

I know of a group of golfers that left County Down yesterday morning and played a course in Westmeath without a problem. It pissed me off when I heard.

What are you pissed at? Do you think the club should turn them away or that the people should have decided not to come?

I played the K club yesterday and there is no way everyone there is from Kildare. There is not even anything the guards can do to stop people moving from county to county so do you expect the clubs to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

eoghan104 wrote: »
    What are you pissed at? Do you think the club should turn them away or that the people should have decided not to come?

I played the K club yesterday and there is no way everyone there is from Kildare. There is not even anything the guards can do to stop people moving from county to county so do you expect the clubs to do it?

I’d expect people to be responsible and not travel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭big_drive

Easiest way eventually will be just shut up every course and then people can't travel. Its all or nothing in this country. As long as people think they're being clever and bending guidelines its pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

I’d expect people to be responsible and not travel

Agree 100% I just think at this stage it us unrealistic which is annoying.

I live in Naas and am a member in Castleknock so looking for games around here. It's annoying missing medals and bigger comps when you go to somewhere like the K Club an realise people don't give a damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I think lots of golfers are crossing county lines to get to their clubs. Arrive, play and go home. Naas to Castlenock is about half an hour and the gardai are using their discretion about that sort of travel.

Co. Down to Westmeath is a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

eoghan104 wrote: »

I'd expect clubs to cancel visitors to protect their members. Our club has done so, they cancelled 72 slots for a society from the next county last Saturday. They shouldn't offer the choice.

big_drive wrote: »
    Easiest way eventually will be just shut up every course and then people can't travel. Its all or nothing in this country. As long as people think they're being clever and bending guidelines its pointless

That shouldn't need to happen but it might be what does happen due to people not following guidelines.

Rikand wrote: »
    You should be a member in Athlone anyway ;)

I looked at it but its too expensive now - €922 for the year??

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I looked at it but its too expensive now - €922 for the year??

That’s peanuts!

• Advertisement

That’s peanuts!

its double what I'm currently paying! ;)

Advertisement