Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin bus crash

• 03-10-2020 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully everyone on the bus has no serious injuries.

Just by looking at the video and direction of travel looks to me like the driver tried to avoid the other car which had come to the attention of Gardai earlier. Referred to GSOC

https://twitter.com/PaulDeighano/status/1312316921442902016?s=19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Polar101

Two people in intensive care according to Irish Times, unfortunately. Edit: the people in the car, apparently

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/eight-people-injured-as-bus-and-car-collide-in-dublin-city-1.4371515

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Polar101 wrote: »

Just saw that, the two in the car which had come to the attention of Gardai. Must have been doing some speed to cause that.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ballsbridge-bus-5222462-Oct2020/

Journal story says there were only four passengers on the bus (and the driver of course). Route 7 bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

Alot of pictures doing the rounds on WhatsApp. Won't be forwarding on many of them. Close up shots of the cab exterior where the drivers blood is very visibly dripping down the side of the cab and on glass on the ground. I just find that so invasive and disrespectful.

The bus was pulled into Donnybrook sheds about 20 minutes ago. A very sobering sight. Especially since I've driven it many times, fleet number GT8.

Hope for a speedy recovery for all involved. Innocent driver on duty and fare paying passengers onboard going about their business. They deserved better than what they got last night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Contrails wrote: »
    Alot of pictures doing the rounds on WhatsApp. Won't be forwarding on many of them. Close up shots of the cab exterior where the drivers blood is very visibly dripping down the side of the cab and on glass on the ground. I just find that so invasive and disrespectful.

The bus was pulled into Donnybrook sheds about 20 minutes ago. A very sobering sight. Especially since I've driven it many times, fleet number GT8.

Hope for a speedy recovery for all involved. Innocent driver on duty and fare paying passengers onboard going about their business. They deserved better than what they got last night.

Very insensitive but I guess drama is what sells on social media. Whoever took those pictures is a disgrace too getting joy also. Clearly trying to seek attention out of others misfortune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Contrails wrote: »

Seen the pics as well.

About time they started making buses safer to crash in. No belt for the driver is madness. As soon as he/she gets thrown from the seat, there is no control.

Unions? What are they fighting for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"Car which came to the attention of Gardai".

For what, tax not in date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Seen the pics as well.

About time they started making buses safer to crash in. No belt for the driver is madness. As soon as he/she gets thrown from the seat, there is no control.

Unions? What are they fighting for?

Never noticed the seat belt thing, is there honestly no belt on DBs and legally what loophole are they using to get away with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,526 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

What an horrendous accident. I hope everyone involved has a full & speedy recovery from their ordeal.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Never noticed the seat belt thing, is there honestly no belt on DBs and legally what loophole are they using to get away with it?

Probably not one for the same there's none for passengers either as the bus is limited is to 65kmph

• Advertisement

Was the bus on the 7 from Brides Glen or the 7a from Loughlinstown?

RTÉ News was reporting that the bus was on the 7a when it crashed last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

"Car which came to the attention of Gardai".

For what, tax not in date?

Driver and 8 other people seriously injured and THAT'S the part you pick up on to make a joke about?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Driver and 8 other people seriously injured and THAT'S the part you pick up on to make a joke about?

I don’t think the poster is joking, merely commenting on the very vague nature of that statement.

I’m assuming it was a stolen car, and that’s what the description is about.

The driver is suffering from 2 broken legs & a broken hip. That is awful for him. I hope he gets well soon. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

The driver is suffering from 2 broken legs & a broken hip. That is awful for him. I hope he gets well soon. :(

Yep - and for some the best they could come up with was to get it out on whatsapp or twitter. So proud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭91wx763

In fairness I think the post was more about the vague statement made by the gardee shickaloneys after incidents like this when anyone can work out that there has been serious crime going on as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Sure they won't see time....

The laws are so fcuked up here it's actually sad.

All the best wishes to our colleague and I certainly hope recovers well asap.

Wasn't that long ago you could get some buses doing up to 115km/h or more at times....

As the buses are 36km from base they don't need a tacho and seat belts aren't required either and to be honest nobody would use them anyway as there are standing permitted.

Nearly sure it's 36km, been long time so could be slightly off.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Having seen what the vehicle was like when it was being moved to Donnybrook it must have been quite some smash of almost unimaginable force, a real horror crash. No doubt that it's going to be sent for scrap. Can't remember seeing a bus in such a bad way after an accident.

I'm not surprised the driver is seriously injured after that. My thoughts go to him and his family and also to all of those who have been affected by this incident. I hope that everyone involved makes a speedy recover as possible and get through this.

devnull wrote: »
    Having seen what the vehicle was like when it was being moved to Donnybrook it must have been quite some smash of almost unimaginable force, a real horror crash. No doubt that it's going to be sent for scrap. Can't remember seeing a bus in such a bad way after an accident.

I'm not surprised the driver is seriously injured after that. My thoughts go to him and his family and also to all of those who have been affected by this incident. I hope that everyone involved makes a speedy recover as possible and get through this.

The AX in town was it last year when a van collided and then it went into the building....

I've heard some say that the driver was lucky not to come out in a wooden box. Sounds somewhat like a similar incident that happened in London last year that time the driver was not so fortunate.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-53934215

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So what happened. Car hit bus and then bus hit fence/tree?

So what happened. Car hit bus and then bus hit fence/tree?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

91wx763 wrote: »
    In fairness I think the post was more about the vague statement made by the gardee shickaloneys after incidents like this when anyone can work out that there has been serious crime going on as usual.

Exactly. Like "known to Gardai" = scumbag.

Funny how people make overt jokes about 100s of people getting killed in China and other far flung places but of course that's OK on Boards.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

That is an absolutely horrifying looking crash. I haven't seen the pictures others have described and I don't want to, just the pictures in the papers look terrible. I really hope non of the passengers were in the first few rows of the upper deck!

There is an article with more info, I won't link to it as it is a paper with a poor reputation.

Seemingly the Gardai saw a suspicious car, the Gardai tried to stop it, but it speed off, the Gardai didn't pursue them because of traffic in the area. They are looking into if the car ran a red light.

Seemingly the driver of the car was up and out straight away and not even in hospital now! Fecking typical. Female car passenger, bus driver and two passengers all in hospital.

My thoughts are with the bus driver and passengers and their families. I hope they will all be ok and make a speedy recovery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,165 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bk wrote: »
    Seemingly the Gardai saw a suspicious car, the Gardai tried to stop it, but it speed off, the Gardai didn't pursue them because of traffic in the area.
    a little OT, but i was once witness to a car crash which happened during a pursuit (the garda car was a good 30s behind the people they were chasing, i don't know if that's relevant); but i was surprised as i thought the above condition would apply. happened on griffith avenue at about 4pm a few years ago, lots of schoolkids around. thankfully the car hit a tree (after hitting another car) and not a pedestrian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

I don't understand why the NBRU came out to say this incident is an example of why the establishment of a dedicated Transport Police division is overdue? What more (if anything) could they have done to stop it?

I think one thing this incident shows is that if we wanted an effective Transport Police, best not give that responsibility to An Garda Síochána

MJohnston wrote: »
    I think one thing this incident shows is that if we wanted an effective Transport Police, best not give that responsibility to An Garda Síochána

Seems a bit harsh to blame this on the Gardai, the driver of the car is the one responsible for the accident.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'd have a lot of complaints about the Gardai, but from what we have heard about this incident so far, I don't think they necessarily did the wrong thing here.

Seemingly they didn't pursue him, which in general is the safer thing to do. Unfortunately despite not being chased, this idiot kept speeding and caused this crash. So I don't think this one is on the Gardai.

To be clear, where I think AGS are ineffective is not in the handling of the moments before the crash, but in the fact that they're so utterly absent when it comes to enforcing road laws that a disqualified driver can just merrily continue to drive around.

Sorry, I may be operating under a misunderstanding here, but, I thought Transport Police focus on enforcement & prosecuting of Public transport regulations & bye laws - eg ticket fare evasion, antisocial behaviour, assaults, vandalism, and other crimes committed on Public transport. The NBRU would certainly have stakeholder interests in such. But what could they have done here other than check everybody on the bus had a had a valid ticket?

On the other hand Roads Policing/Traffic Corps etc focuses on road users in general, driving standards & laws, and we do already have an AGS Traffic Corps. Otherwise I just think the NBRU were being a bit too keen to jump in front of an RTE camera and throw blame without having first had all the facts to hand...

Sorry, I may be operating under a misunderstanding here, but, I thought Transport Police focus on enforcement & prosecuting of Public transport regulations & bye laws - eg ticket fare evasion, antisocial behaviour, assaults, vandalism, and other crimes committed on Public transport. The NBRU would certainly have stakeholder interests in such. But what could they have done here other than check everybody on the bus had a had a valid ticket?

On the other hand Roads Policing/Traffic Corps etc focuses on road users in general, driving standards & laws, and we do already have an AGS Traffic Corps. Otherwise I just think the NBRU were being a bit too keen to jump in front of an RTE camera and throw blame without having first had all the facts to hand...

I'm not sure how effective a transport police would be for policing buses. The NBRU often refer to the BTP as an example of a sucessful transport police force however the BTP is solely focused on rail transport. Bus transport is generally looked after by regular police forces.

The BTPs sole focus is the railway, London underground and various light rail systems in the UK. Now the BTP can patrol buses generally only when there is a bus incident in a shared rail and bus facility where buses and trains share a station.

GT89 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how effective a transport police would be for policing buses. The NBRU often refer to the BTP as an example of a sucessful transport police force however the BTP is solely focused on rail transport. Bus transport is generally looked after by regular police forces.

The BTPs sole focus is the railway, London underground and various light rail systems in the UK. Now the BTP can patrol buses generally only when there is a bus incident in a shared rail and bus facility where buses and trains share a station.

Not only that ticket inspectors are everywhere, see what we have is an absolute sh1t show and free for all....
    The system here is a shambles and when people are free to do as they please whether that's pay or not or destroy buses or use child leap cards when they are not young at all....

There doesn't actually seem to be any push or care given by those higher up in db or the nta or gubernment....

The welfare system is also shown up in all this and how bizarre a system where anyone with a faulty card or out of date or even blocked card continue to travel for free even if they are no longer eligible because covid means these measures are on hold.

Drivers treated like dirt and this has never changed but I do feel it's gotten worse over the years....

The whole fleet of db vehicles when in normal circumstances has a huge team of 4..... Yes 4 ticket checking staff.
    There are around 1,000 buses, ticket equipment from pre 2000 tech, bus lanes that no longer function as one and buses must leave to continue, roadways now with kerbing, poles and other obstacles which make it difficult for cars imagine what it's like to navigate a bus through etc etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Is the increase in trouble on public transport dare I say anything to do with immigration. It may be controversial to say this but I have noticed that many of the people who are pig ignorant out there are from beyond these shores.

Does immigration need to be dragged into every thread on boards? It gets so incredibly tiresome...

• Advertisement

It’s also a laughable assertion. Anyone who has used a Dublin bus can tell you that the vast majority of trouble comes from those who are ‘native’ Dubliners, whether they’re on or off the bus.

This thread had gone off topic. It was about how a banned motorist went on a joyride last Friday night and ran a Dublin Bus off the road injuring injuring 8 people - 2 badly, including the bus driver.

There was no trouble on the bus.

There was no immigrant factor.

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often to be honest

Here's the biggest problem, and the root cause of why this incident happened:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/driver-who-was-holding-bottle-of-rum-as-he-left-his-crashed-car-spared-jail-39596857.html
    A DRINK-driving suspect got out of a crashed car holding a bottle of rum, became "combative" and threatened gardaí with physical violence
    he had driven the BMW on to a footpath, writing it off in the collision.
    Separately, he left the scene of another accident at New Road, Clondalkin, and tried to strike gardaí when they found him.

Roe was "out of control" in the throes of drug and alcohol addiction at the time.
    Judge Jones said the accused was "escaping by the skin of his teeth".

The judiciary in this country is completely broken.

Here's the biggest problem, and the root cause of why this incident happened:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/driver-who-was-holding-bottle-of-rum-as-he-left-his-crashed-car-spared-jail-39596857.html

The judiciary in this country is completely broken.

4 year ban which will never stop him continuing to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,165 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's bizarre how the ability to drive is seen as some sort of civil right. almost as if denying someone the ability to drive is like denying them their freedom, even when it's been repeatedly shown they cannot be trusted behind the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Looking back at some of the recent crashes, the level of damage seems to be rather severe for what I would imagine where relatively low speed impacts, 50kph or less. I understand a bus is going to have much more momentum force than a car. Even in what would seem to be even less severe impacts such as hitting branches, the upper deck has been cut clean off.

I presume the frame is designed to break and crush as to absorb the energy as a crumple zone but giving lack of space and with the ease that it fails at, should a stronger design not be sought. The bodies frames and roof seem to offer little to no protection and as they seem to collapse inwards and probably cause more harm to drivers and passengers on the upper deck.

IE 222 wrote: »
    Looking back at some of the recent crashes, the level of damage seems to be rather severe for what I would imagine where relatively low speed impacts, 50kph or less. I understand a bus is going to have much more momentum force than a car. Even in what would seem to be even less severe impacts such as hitting branches, the upper deck has been cut clean off.

I presume the frame is designed to break and crush as to absorb the energy as a crumple zone but giving lack of space and with the ease that it fails at, should a stronger design not be sought. The bodies frames and roof seem to offer little to no protection and as they seem to collapse inwards and probably cause more harm to drivers and passengers on the upper deck.

The roof is designed to sheer off so as to no crush people and also ease of repair as if it didn't most would be bent beyond repair as they would pull the rest of the bus out of shape.

Luckily these are rare.

That was a big tree and with the momentum of up to 17 ton that would have been around 13 ton or a shade under at that point, as it wasn't fully loaded, could you imagine how bad it would have been with standing and full....

The roof is designed to sheer off so as to no crush people and also ease of repair as if it didn't most would be bent beyond repair as they would pull the rest of the bus out of shape.

Luckily these are rare.

That was a big tree and with the momentum of up to 17 ton that would have been around 13 ton or a shade under at that point, as it wasn't fully loaded, could you imagine how bad it would have been with standing and full....

Although it designed too shear off, the roof does and can cave/fold in on itself depending on the impact. The bus probably done what it was designed to do but I wonder could it of done better. It would be interesting to know how a strengthened bus would of faired in these events.

It does seem to be pure luck that nobody has been killed or received life changing injuries in some of these. Maybe the large panes of glass smashing make it look worse than it is.

IT are reporting the bus driver suffered 2 broken legs and a broken pelvis and the other passenger who was seriously injured suffered a bleed to the brain.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/driver-of-car-that-collided-with-double-decker-bus-previously-sanctioned-with-driving-ban-1.4373649

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

It’s also a laughable assertion. Anyone who has used a Dublin bus can tell you that the vast majority of trouble comes from those who are ‘native’ Dubliners, whether they’re on or off the bus.

Lucky it wasn't in an area of native dubs - otherwise there would have been over 500 injured people all with speed dial to ambulance chasing solicitors :D

IT are reporting the bus driver suffered 2 broken legs and a broken pelvis and the other passenger who was seriously injured suffered a bleed to the brain.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/driver-of-car-that-collided-with-double-decker-bus-previously-sanctioned-with-driving-ban-1.4373649

By the sounds of it he should of been locked up already. Its amazing how he was free to go. Giving he was already avoiding a warrant for a different matter and the lengths he goes to to avoid capture he should of been remanded in custody. Do judges not see that the likes of him are a danger to others. No doubt he'll be back out driving once he gets himself a new car.

Jesus. Those injuries sound really serious for the bus driver. Do those types of injuries make him retire from bus driving for good?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Apologies from dragging up and old thread, thought it might be better than starting a new one.

Crash earlier today on Northumberland Road close to where the previous crash from this thread was.

Hopefully the driver makes a full recovery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Driver suffered a heart attack at the wheel

• Advertisement
Advertisement