Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin bus crash

• 03-10-2020 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully everyone on the bus has no serious injuries.

Just by looking at the video and direction of travel looks to me like the driver tried to avoid the other car which had come to the attention of Gardai earlier. Referred to GSOC

https://twitter.com/PaulDeighano/status/1312316921442902016?s=19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Polar101

Two people in intensive care according to Irish Times, unfortunately. Edit: the people in the car, apparently

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/eight-people-injured-as-bus-and-car-collide-in-dublin-city-1.4371515

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Polar101 wrote: »

Just saw that, the two in the car which had come to the attention of Gardai. Must have been doing some speed to cause that.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ballsbridge-bus-5222462-Oct2020/

Journal story says there were only four passengers on the bus (and the driver of course). Route 7 bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

Alot of pictures doing the rounds on WhatsApp. Won't be forwarding on many of them. Close up shots of the cab exterior where the drivers blood is very visibly dripping down the side of the cab and on glass on the ground. I just find that so invasive and disrespectful.

The bus was pulled into Donnybrook sheds about 20 minutes ago. A very sobering sight. Especially since I've driven it many times, fleet number GT8.

Hope for a speedy recovery for all involved. Innocent driver on duty and fare paying passengers onboard going about their business. They deserved better than what they got last night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Contrails wrote: »
    Alot of pictures doing the rounds on WhatsApp. Won't be forwarding on many of them. Close up shots of the cab exterior where the drivers blood is very visibly dripping down the side of the cab and on glass on the ground. I just find that so invasive and disrespectful.

The bus was pulled into Donnybrook sheds about 20 minutes ago. A very sobering sight. Especially since I've driven it many times, fleet number GT8.

Hope for a speedy recovery for all involved. Innocent driver on duty and fare paying passengers onboard going about their business. They deserved better than what they got last night.

Very insensitive but I guess drama is what sells on social media. Whoever took those pictures is a disgrace too getting joy also. Clearly trying to seek attention out of others misfortune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Contrails wrote: »

Seen the pics as well.

About time they started making buses safer to crash in. No belt for the driver is madness. As soon as he/she gets thrown from the seat, there is no control.

Unions? What are they fighting for?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"Car which came to the attention of Gardai".

For what, tax not in date?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Seen the pics as well.

About time they started making buses safer to crash in. No belt for the driver is madness. As soon as he/she gets thrown from the seat, there is no control.

Unions? What are they fighting for?

Never noticed the seat belt thing, is there honestly no belt on DBs and legally what loophole are they using to get away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

What an horrendous accident. I hope everyone involved has a full & speedy recovery from their ordeal.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Never noticed the seat belt thing, is there honestly no belt on DBs and legally what loophole are they using to get away with it?

Probably not one for the same there's none for passengers either as the bus is limited is to 65kmph

• Advertisement

Was the bus on the 7 from Brides Glen or the 7a from Loughlinstown?

RTÉ News was reporting that the bus was on the 7a when it crashed last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

"Car which came to the attention of Gardai".

For what, tax not in date?

Driver and 8 other people seriously injured and THAT'S the part you pick up on to make a joke about?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Driver and 8 other people seriously injured and THAT'S the part you pick up on to make a joke about?

I don’t think the poster is joking, merely commenting on the very vague nature of that statement.

I’m assuming it was a stolen car, and that’s what the description is about.

The driver is suffering from 2 broken legs & a broken hip. That is awful for him. I hope he gets well soon. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

The driver is suffering from 2 broken legs & a broken hip. That is awful for him. I hope he gets well soon. :(

Yep - and for some the best they could come up with was to get it out on whatsapp or twitter. So proud

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

In fairness I think the post was more about the vague statement made by the gardee shickaloneys after incidents like this when anyone can work out that there has been serious crime going on as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Sure they won't see time....

The laws are so fcuked up here it's actually sad.

All the best wishes to our colleague and I certainly hope recovers well asap.

Wasn't that long ago you could get some buses doing up to 115km/h or more at times....

As the buses are 36km from base they don't need a tacho and seat belts aren't required either and to be honest nobody would use them anyway as there are standing permitted.

Nearly sure it's 36km, been long time so could be slightly off.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Having seen what the vehicle was like when it was being moved to Donnybrook it must have been quite some smash of almost unimaginable force, a real horror crash. No doubt that it's going to be sent for scrap. Can't remember seeing a bus in such a bad way after an accident.

I'm not surprised the driver is seriously injured after that. My thoughts go to him and his family and also to all of those who have been affected by this incident. I hope that everyone involved makes a speedy recover as possible and get through this.

devnull wrote: »
    Having seen what the vehicle was like when it was being moved to Donnybrook it must have been quite some smash of almost unimaginable force, a real horror crash. No doubt that it's going to be sent for scrap. Can't remember seeing a bus in such a bad way after an accident.

I'm not surprised the driver is seriously injured after that. My thoughts go to him and his family and also to all of those who have been affected by this incident. I hope that everyone involved makes a speedy recover as possible and get through this.

The AX in town was it last year when a van collided and then it went into the building....

I've heard some say that the driver was lucky not to come out in a wooden box. Sounds somewhat like a similar incident that happened in London last year that time the driver was not so fortunate.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-53934215

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So what happened. Car hit bus and then bus hit fence/tree?

So what happened. Car hit bus and then bus hit fence/tree?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

91wx763 wrote: »
    In fairness I think the post was more about the vague statement made by the gardee shickaloneys after incidents like this when anyone can work out that there has been serious crime going on as usual.

Exactly. Like "known to Gardai" = scumbag.

Funny how people make overt jokes about 100s of people getting killed in China and other far flung places but of course that's OK on Boards.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

That is an absolutely horrifying looking crash. I haven't seen the pictures others have described and I don't want to, just the pictures in the papers look terrible. I really hope non of the passengers were in the first few rows of the upper deck!

There is an article with more info, I won't link to it as it is a paper with a poor reputation.

Seemingly the Gardai saw a suspicious car, the Gardai tried to stop it, but it speed off, the Gardai didn't pursue them because of traffic in the area. They are looking into if the car ran a red light.

Seemingly the driver of the car was up and out straight away and not even in hospital now! Fecking typical. Female car passenger, bus driver and two passengers all in hospital.

My thoughts are with the bus driver and passengers and their families. I hope they will all be ok and make a speedy recovery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bk wrote: »
    Seemingly the Gardai saw a suspicious car, the Gardai tried to stop it, but it speed off, the Gardai didn't pursue them because of traffic in the area.
    a little OT, but i was once witness to a car crash which happened during a pursuit (the garda car was a good 30s behind the people they were chasing, i don't know if that's relevant); but i was surprised as i thought the above condition would apply. happened on griffith avenue at about 4pm a few years ago, lots of schoolkids around. thankfully the car hit a tree (after hitting another car) and not a pedestrian.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

I don't understand why the NBRU came out to say this incident is an example of why the establishment of a dedicated Transport Police division is overdue? What more (if anything) could they have done to stop it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I think one thing this incident shows is that if we wanted an effective Transport Police, best not give that responsibility to An Garda Síochána

MJohnston wrote: »
    I think one thing this incident shows is that if we wanted an effective Transport Police, best not give that responsibility to An Garda Síochána

Seems a bit harsh to blame this on the Gardai, the driver of the car is the one responsible for the accident.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MJohnston wrote: »

I'd have a lot of complaints about the Gardai, but from what we have heard about this incident so far, I don't think they necessarily did the wrong thing here.

Seemingly they didn't pursue him, which in general is the safer thing to do. Unfortunately despite not being chased, this idiot kept speeding and caused this crash. So I don't think this one is on the Gardai.

Advertisement