Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Three Ireland 5G

• 27-09-2020 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

Looks like Three are about to launch 5G, I can't find any reference to the 5G bill pay plans or the 5G pre pay booster but it's all mentioned in the link below and also 5G coverage.

https://www.three.ie/coverage-checker/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,897 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Looks like Three are about to launch 5G, I can't find any reference to the 5G bill pay plans or the 5G pre pay booster but it's all mentioned in the link below and also 5G coverage.

Not sure we're you heard this from but by all accounts it will be mid 2021, there's Zero Demand and if networks are still struggling to get 4g reliable, you'd wonder why bother with 5g. Ironc that today 3 had a major outage and blamed 5g upgrade as the cause, absolute nonsense of course.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Not sure we're you heard this from but by all accounts it will be mid 2021, there's Zero Demand and if networks are still struggling to get 4g reliable, you'd wonder why bother with 5g. Ironc that today 3 had a major outage and blamed 5g upgrade as the cause, absolute nonsense of course.

It's all in that coverage link on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭touts

The Covid work from home issue has woken most people up to the fact that the National Broadband Plan isn't fit for purpose so I'd say anyone offering 5g Mobile Broadband in the next few weeks and months will hoover up customers from traditional landlines.

It's all in that coverage link on their website

Yes on "Their" website, these are planned roll out areas but 3 have not even switched on their limited 5g service, there is no plans to launch imminently, they initially put it off for a year at the end of 2019, and with what's going on in the world, it will be at least 2021. You correctly mention no current 5g plans available, it's really a waiting game. It's highly unlikely when launched it will be on prepay, only more expensive contract plans. As it stands they only sell approx 4 handsets that have 5g capability.

Yes on "Their" website, these are planned roll out areas but 3 have not even switched on their limited 5g service, there is no plans to launch imminently, they initially put it off for a year at the end of 2019, and with what's going on in the world, it will be at least 2021. You correctly mention no current 5g plans available, it's really a waiting game. It's highly unlikely when launched it will be on prepay, only more expensive contract plans. As it stands they only sell approx 4 handsets that have 5g capability.

Screen shot as per link 5G Bill Pay Plans mentioned along with 3Pay 5G Booster.

• Advertisement

Screen shot as per link 5G Bill Pay Plans mentioned along with 3Pay 5G Booster.

Again prepority information, try and order a 5g plan, this will confirm, none available, or call 1913 to confirm same, they might give you a date but I doubt it

Again prepority information, try and order a 5g plan, this will confirm, none available, or call 1913 to confirm same, they might give you a date but I doubt it

👠wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭KildareP

👠wait and see

Good spot! Price guide has been updated today with reference to 5G:
    https://www.three.ie/legal/pricing/files/Bill_Pay_Price_Guide_Sept2020.pdf

Included on their €60 and €80 plans or €5 extra on all others (including prepay).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭DopeTech

KildareP wrote: »
    Good spot! Price guide has been updated today with reference to 5G:
    https://www.three.ie/legal/pricing/files/Bill_Pay_Price_Guide_Sept2020.pdf

Included on their €60 and €80 plans or €5 extra on all others (including prepay).

I wonder how long before they incide it at no extra cost like when 4g was launched.

From Three -
    Going live shortly Add On is 5e for 28day Prepay Booster and 5e for SIM Only.

"Yes. these 5G products are available to you today – to work they must be used with a 5G Capable device and they require your place of regular use to be in a 5G area so we also have a 5G coverage checker online also. We are getting these 5G Products system ready. There will be even more detail around the 5G Technology rollout from Three very shortly."

• Advertisement

I would hope WiFi Calling and VoLTE are coming soon as well

From Three -
    Going live shortly Add On is 5e for 28day Prepay Booster and 5e for SIM Only.

"Yes. these 5G products are available to you today – to work they must be used with a 5G Capable device and they require your place of regular use to be in a 5G area so we also have a 5G coverage checker online also. We are getting these 5G Products system ready. There will be even more detail around the 5G Technology rollout from Three very shortly."

I've just finished my humble breakfast pie. I spoke at length to colleagues working for 3 retail and not a single one had been informed of this developing news. It remains to be seen if this is just a marketing or deflection ploy after yesterday's major outage, 3 are sadly known for this. They had announced, at least a year before launch. Its noteworthy only 35% country coverage and as such how would it be possible to offer 5g contracts on this basis.

Watch this space, will be interesting if they do as claim, to offer access and plans from today.

I stand humbly corrected but remain sceptical, especially when 3 haven't even communicated this news with its own staff.

Mr.S wrote: »
    We have 3 Corporate plans in work, our rep knew it was going this week. Not exactly secret business. Fairly big PR story sent out also.

€5 extra (or free) seems like a fair price for early adoption, no doubt it will become standard later on.

With iPhone's taking 5G from next month, demand will begin to pick up for 5G.

It will be very interesting if 3 offer 5g on corporate /affin accounts as they are already heavily discounted, just re iPhones taking 5g, what do you mean by this? I thought the iPhone model had to 5g compatible? Just curious.

References now being added across their site for 5G:
    https://www.three.ie/plans/sim-only/bill-pay/
    https://www.three.ie/5g/

All you need now is a 5g phone, €4.92 add on not bad in fairness.

They've nearly all of where I work, rest and play with 5G coverage showing.

Good damn you Three and you too Apple with your upcoming iPhone 5G launch you could hurt my pocket very soon :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

touts wrote:
    The Covid work from home issue has woken most people up to the fact that the National Broadband Plan isn't fit for purpose so I'd say anyone offering 5g Mobile Broadband in the next few weeks and months will hoover up customers from traditional landlines.

Unless your house is in a City centre you won't get 5G for a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Double O Seven

I'm still waiting for 3 & 4 g

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

€5 addon doesn't seem to be available for the old €20 threepay plan which means having to migrate to the new plans and lose the capability to keep your credit rolling over.

• Advertisement

Couple of speed tests attached, good coverage in the city center and along the M50 testing done inside car.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

€5 addon doesn't seem to be available for the old €20 threepay plan which means having to migrate to the new plans and lose the capability to keep your credit rolling over.
    You'd expect it not to be available on any legacy plans. IIRC, all the networks followed this approach when introducing 4G.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭circadian

Couple of speed tests attached, good coverage in the city center and along the M50 testing done inside car.

Nice, those are great speeds but I do wonder what it'll be like when the contention ratio changes and there's more uptake. I'm with Three on the old prepay plan and I can't fault it for what it is but I will say that there are definitely network saturation spots where bandwidth is low.

circadian wrote: »
    Nice, those are great speeds but I do wonder what it'll be like when the contention ratio changes and there's more uptake. I'm with Three on the old prepay plan and I can't fault it for what it is but I will say that there are definitely network saturation spots where bandwidth is low.

I'm on that plan also for 4g, I'm mainly based in D1 and D2 for work and living, I'm getting between 120 Megs and 310 Megs on it, they did an upgrade to the network about 10 months ago and it's fantastic. I'm also using a 48 sim in these areas the last week or so and its been the same..

Quackster wrote: »
    You'd expect it not to be available on any legacy plans. IIRC, all the networks followed this approach when introducing 4G.

3 introduced 4g on that plan at no extra cost. I think initially it was introduced for 6 months or something, and they just kept rolling it on. I'd happily pay the extra 5er on top if I could keep the credit, but it's hard to know how they make money if I'm using up my credit buying Audio books and supscriptions etc.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

3 introduced 4g on that plan at no extra cost. I think initially it was introduced for 6 months or something, and they just kept rolling it on. I'd happily pay the extra 5er on top if I could keep the credit, but it's hard to know how they make money if I'm using up my credit buying Audio books and supscriptions etc.
    Yeah, because that was their current prepay plan at the time. I'm specifically talking about legacy plans unavailable to new signups at the time 4G (and now 5G) was introduced.

From their perspective, it's a sensible move using 5G as a carrot to tempt customers of legacy plans to switch to one of their current plans.

Quackster wrote: »
    Yeah, because that was their current prepay plan at the time. I'm specifically talking about legacy plans unavailable to new signups at the time 4G (and now 5G) was introduced.

From their perspective, it's a sensible move using 5G as a carrot to tempt customers of legacy plans to switch to one of their current plans.

Ah, got you now. Yeah, I'm looking at moving one of my plans over to the new regime specifically for that reason.

In fairness to them, 3's launch is a much better value proposition than eir or Voda.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭j14

I live in Lucan and Three have said 5G is not available at my address. Looking at the coverage map on the website none of the houses in my housing estate have 5G coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Three do have a 5G enabled mast in the centre of Lucan as far as I can see,

https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/#site/DU0984/53.3559002864/-6.4508275616/1/Site%20DU0984

Not sure how close you are to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I got their text yesterday saying that 5G was now live & picked it up on the outskirts of Cork City at lunchtime...happy days !

Advertisement