Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dunnes gone very expensive?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭StevenToast

They were quick in letting us know they were extending the vouchers when Covid began....

Covid is still here but they have brought them back.....poor move...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ah shur tis all about profiting, it trickles down yea know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I can’t understand how people are shopping in this environment and spending so little. We have two adults, two young kids in the house and it is easily 200+ a week. Everyone is eating all meals at home, previously that would have been some breakfast and dinners. I’m not buying anything outrageous and it excludes alcohol as I get that in O’Briens. Meat is included. Prior to this my husband and I would have eaten lunch at work so around €40 a week each. That is now obviously gone.

Same here - we're going through 1000-1200 per month, from Id guess 600-700 pre lockdown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I do most of my shopping in Dunnes with some stuff from Iceland and the butcher.

Tried Aldi/Lidl in the past but I couldn't get past the rows upon rows of unknown brands and I wasn't willing to keep spending money working through them. I just like to get in and out as efficiently as possible (another problem with Aldi/Lidl and their checkout staffing and layout) and come back with what I went for.

My local Dunnes is pretty good value most weeks but the one I occasionally go into in Cork when I'm down is significantly poorer value for some reason? Is there local/regional variation depending on what they're competing with?
    Aldi and lidel products are good aldi is slightly better most are better than dunne's own brand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

I think groceries have gotten more expensive across the board. I certainly don’t see the vat reduction being passed along to customers. I shop wherever is convenient really, a lot online with SuperValu, but I do also go to Dunnes now and again, and I think they are horridly expensive. They aren’t giving money off vouchers for free, and I really feel that their prices are bumped up to account for the vouchers. Be interesting to compare their prices when they start their online service, that’ll make it very easy to see if they are competitive or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    In large print I'd imagine?

Large enough, yes. It certainly isn't buried in the small print, if that's what you're getting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

JohnC. wrote: »
    Large enough, yes. It certainly isn't buried in the small print, if that's what you're getting at.

The point is they were valid for 14 days all along and they reduced then back to ten without telling anyone which is sneaky.

JohnC. wrote:

Must get a look at them myself, I miss a lot of detail on things, not just from small print size either, it is possible to design things, so that the important information is somewhat hidden, marketing tactic really

Truckermal wrote: »
    The point is they were valid for 14 days all along and they reduced then back to ten without telling anyone which is sneaky.

It's literally printed on them, fairly prominently. That's you told.

Is it really so hard to see the dates on this?

VI4pPxh.jpg

• Advertisement

JohnC. wrote:
    Is it really so hard to see the dates on this?

Yea, could be for some, I had to look a bit, but to be fair, it's a pic on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's literally printed on the voucher...

Well daa'h! Vouchers are rolled off with the receipt, torn off and folded into the wallet when leaving the checkout. They told everybody the dates had been extended - made sure to point it out to every customer - but never mentioned a change when cutting the dates back.

But, thank you for your extremely useful advice.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

It's literally printed on them, fairly prominently. That's you told.

Hurry along now John and stack your shelves!

Yea, could be for some........

Could be if you didn't bother checking

Augeo wrote: »
    Could be if you didn't bother checking

what is the most noticeable print on the voucher?

nicely fits in with this thread

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/29-psychological-tricks-to-make-you-buy-more/

what is the most noticeable print on the voucher? ...........

Dunnes (not the answer you want so you'll come back with a second question no doubt)

VI4pPxh.jpg

The validity period of the voucher is clearly stated.

Dunnes

The validity period of the voucher is clearly stated.

...and after that the dunnes, label, whats next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

They were quick in letting us know they were extending the vouchers when Covid began....

Lockdown was the reason, not Covid-19

...and after that the dunnes, label, whats next?

Save €10

not quite the answer you want so you'll come back with a third question no doubt............... the message is clear, read the voucher if you plan on using it.

Indeed, a load of helpless fookers b1tching because they can't read a voucher.

• Advertisement

Save €10

not quite the answer you want so you'll come back with a third question no doubt............... the message is clear, read the voucher if you plan on using it.

patience now

to the other end, what is the smallest print on the voucher?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It's funny, the point isn't how prominent the date is. That doesn't actually matter an iota to the complaint being made, which is a perfectly valid one.

The complaint was that there was great pomp and fanfare when they increased the validity period from 10 to 21 days but when reducing it back to 10 days, there wasn't a squeak out of them. There was no prior notice, nothing to say they were doing something to the detriment of consumers.

There are lots of bad words that describe that kind of behaviour from retailers. It makes all the difference to those of us who have to carefully plan our weekly spend, either in general or specifically due to the pandemic and reduced financial resources resulting from it.

It leaves a bad taste in the mouth when you actually have to put time and effort into not getting the wool pulled over your eyes by the hugely profitable companies you give so much of your cash to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

What is the story with the Bronze pasta that has taken over the shelves?

The Dunnes Italian egg pasta seems to have been discontinued and replaced with this abomination.

It's is actively disgusting and tastes likes it's covered in a layer of slime when cooked - does anyone actually like it or prefer it to the normal pasta?

You can't get spaghetti, penne or tagliatelle anymore in my local dunnes unless you are prepared to buy the cheap and crappy roma stuff or the god-awful 'bronze' range.

It's funny, the point isn't how prominent the date is. That doesn't actually matter an iota to the complaint being made, which is a perfectly valid one.

The complaint was that there was great pomp and fanfare when they increased the validity period from 10 to 21 days but when reducing it back to 10 days, there wasn't a squeak out of them. There was no prior notice, nothing to say they were doing something to the detriment of consumers.

There are lots of bad words that describe that kind of behaviour from retailers. It makes all the difference to those of us who have to carefully plan our weekly spend, either in general or specifically due to the pandemic and reduced financial resources resulting from it.

It leaves a bad taste in the mouth when you actually have to put time and effort into not getting the wool pulled over your eyes by the hugely profitable companies you give so much of your cash to.

Is it any different to any other promotion? Say cases of Guinness are promoted on sale coming up to a bank holiday weekend. Would you expect them to equally promote the return to the original price? Of course not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Caveat emptor re the voucher dates.
    The whole thing is a scam anyway, they've just jacked up the price of everything and give you €10 off anyway.

Caveat emptor re the voucher dates.
    The whole thing is a scam anyway, they've just jacked up the price of everything and give you €10 off anyway.

I do find a full trolley in Dunnes with vouchers comes out noticeably cheaper than a similar shop in Supervalu - but I do probably come out with a few more own brands from Dunnes than I do from Supervalu.

Aside from price, comparing the Dunnes, SV and Aldi closest to me, Dunnes is the best managed in terms of dates / freshness of produce. I regularly buy vegetables in SV only to find they're half rotten when I get home, especially bags of salad. In Aldi I get home to find that some of my products are out of date that day / the next day - they're marked down accordingly, but they're just thrown in with the rest of the stuff on the shelf.

Obviously I need to pay more attention but it takes long enough as it is - I can walk around Dunnes with reasonable confidence that the stuff is ok as I fire it into the trolley.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

screamer wrote: »
    I think groceries have gotten more expensive across the board. I certainly don’t see the vat reduction being passed along to customers. I shop wherever is convenient really, a lot online with SuperValu, but I do also go to Dunnes now and again, and I think they are horridly expensive. They aren’t giving money off vouchers for free, and I really feel that their prices are bumped up to account for the vouchers. Be interesting to compare their prices when they start their online service, that’ll make it very easy to see if they are competitive or not.

Aldi definitely have passed on the VAT reduction. Either that or they randomly started reducing prices slightly at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭Allinall

MOH wrote: »
    Aldi definitely have passed on the VAT reduction. Either that or they randomly started reducing prices slightly at the same time.

VAT would only apply to a small percentage of a general weekly shop.

All uncooked foodstuff is zero rated.

For the rest- Cleaning products, drinks etc., the reduction of less than 2% would be very difficult to notice, even if it was all passed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

But we're still advised to keep contacts and outings at a minimum . Hence we switched to fortnightly shopping to reduce our exposure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Allinall wrote: »
    VAT would only apply to a small percentage of a general weekly shop.

All uncooked foodstuff is zero rated.

For the rest- Cleaning products, drinks etc., the reduction of less than 2% would be very difficult to notice, even if it was all passed on.

I was replying to a post that seemed to be stating that the reduction wasn't being passed on.

I certainly noticed it anyway.

Advertisement