Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dunnes gone very expensive?

Options

Comments

.... never go near Dunnes.

I never shop at Dunnes, Tesco would be an occasional visit, Aldi for some items. Lidl never as their local to me store is a little out of my way.

ellejay wrote: »

But genuinely there's definitely better value if you shop around, because I do shop around, so I've learned where the value is.
    And key word is value by the way, not price.

I count calories and track protein intake.
    I can assure you I'm getting great value in SuperValu.
    I am happy to "overpay" <5% what I'd spend in Aldi for access to a huge range of products, nice shopping environment and plenty staff.
    I'll happily mention that it's the folk buying the high margin branded stuff facilitates me doing this but hey, it's great IMO.

You say you never get the €10 off €50 and €8 off €40 vouchers in SV, that's because you shop around. SV Real Rewards, rewards their customers. Most of who likely don't use the vouchers as they don't plan their shopping and spends. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I used to shop in Dunnes weekly, thought it was decent value. Moved to Aldi when we were saving for a mortgage with just a small shop maybe once a month elsewhere to buy branded things. It saved us about €40 per week.

My local Aldi wasn't great for social distancing so I've moved back to Dunnes for the last few weeks. I cannot get over how much we are spending. Things like biscuits are 3 times the price, salads, prepared veg etc. much more expensive. Some of their special offers have gone up in price over that time (2 packs of sliced meats now €5.50 instead of €5).

I also found some of the fresh veg did not keep well, had to chuck tomatoes and lettuce yesterday which I only bought last Saturday. Even with the vouchers, I've spent a LOT more than my usual shopping bill. It's not financially sustainable for us, I may go back to doing the big shop in Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Augeo wrote: »
    Not at all, I buy stuff in aldi.

I just find the attitude that Aldi and Lidl are way cheaper than the other chains to be untrue. Given they aim to be 15% cheaper on ownbrand stuff and the other chains have reacted to make that now impossible.

And if you use a 20% off voucher on a basket that is no more than 15% more expensive than you end up with much of a muchness.

It's basic stuff here.

Folk load up on brands in supervalu and Dunnes and then go and buy also own brand and reckon they've saved €200/month, total loolaa stuff.

You keep shopping wherever you want to also but don't be bleating on about great value there when it's a few percent at most when comparing own brand products, and they've come from the same production line in many cases also.

Personally I don't like picking my shopping off a pallet and then queuing for 10 minutes to pay for it :)

This was the complaint about Aldi and Lidl when they opened first. Everything I buy in these shops is from the shelf, only time you see pallets on the floor is when they're restocking.

I often shop in Tescos and the queues can be quite bad there. Lidl and Aldi will open tills very quickly once theres a build up, never see that in Tescos, find it much quicker getting through the German shops.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Micko99 wrote: »
    without sounding like a snob when I popped into lidl last week it seemed like the dregs of society were in there and social distancing was non existant. I went to super valu after and it was much more pleasant, everyone was keeping a distance and there were no crowds of people at the tills. You pay for what you get.

I've been a very regular shopper in both Lidl and Aldi for years now, with occasional visits to Tesco for specific items.
    But certainly in my neck of the woods, Aldi and Lidl are making no attempt to control the number of people in the shops (I've yet to see a queue outside either shop), leading to proper social distancing being an impossibility. No attempt to prevent couples bringing their young children into store either, and no attempt by either security or parents to stop the kids spreading themselves across the aisle, making it impossible to get past. I'm not a stressy person at all, but going into either shop at this current time is so stressful, so unpleasant.
    As a result, I'm not going to shop in either at least until restrictions are completely lifted. If they don't care about my health, or indeed the health of their staff out on the shop floor, they're not getting my 2-3 visits per week nor my money any more.
    I'll go to Tesco instead, but I avoid Dunnes because I find it too pricey and, in the local one at least, not enough choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Please do tell me more.
    The nutrition of the organic porridge is most definitely comparable, so too the yellow tagged honey.

Please provide a case where the quality and nutrition of a yellow tags item would not be comparable to the quality of the food in Aldi or Lidl?

Or are you talking nonsense?

There was me thinking we were just exchanging experiences and advice :D It's not exactly an argument that has to be won, just people with different opinions on shopping :)

The ones I buy are top class.

Aldi and Lidl cannot afford to pricematch them as SV sell fookloads of branded stuff at high profit margin so they can afford to make tiny or no margin on loads of stuff.

Aldi and Lidl do similar, loads of their actual profit is made on the stuff in the centre of the shops, safety boots, lights and fancy egg holders and that sort of sh1te.

I shop in Aldi for chocolate, some fish products and other items but the prices simply aren't much different (higher in many cases) from supervalu in the own brand categories when money off vouchers are used.

I love looking at all that stuff in the middle. Never buy it though :P I find they have increased their prices generally overall, but still cheaper than the others in my opinion. In an ideal world, there are probably 3 shops that I could tour to get the overall optimum value and quality, some goods here and some there etc. but I was little inclined to do that before the pandemic never mind now! :D

DBB wrote: »
    I've been a very regular shopper in both Lidl and Aldi for years now, with occasional visits to Tesco for specific items.
    But certainly in my neck of the woods, Aldi and Lidl are making no attempt to control the number of people in the shops (I've yet to see a queue outside either shop), leading to proper social distancing being an impossibility. No attempt to prevent couples bringing their young children into store either, and no attempt by either security or parents to stop the kids spreading themselves across the aisle, making it impossible to get past. I'm not a stressy person at all, but going into either shop at this current time is so stressful, so unpleasant.
    As a result, I'm not going to shop in either at least until restrictions are completely lifted. If they don't care about my health, or indeed the health of their staff out on the shop floor, they're not getting my 2-3 visits per week nor my money any more.
    I'll go to Tesco instead, but I avoid Dunnes because I find it too pricey and, in the local one at least, not enough choice.
    At our local Lidl, the last time we went there was a queue outside with social distancing implemented but OH said once he got in, it was basically a circus. Seemed totally pointless to distance people in the fresh air outside then let them lick each others' trollies* once they were inside the door!

* this might not have actually happened :pac:

Antares35 wrote: »
    There was me thinking we were just exchanging experiences and advice :D It's not exactly an argument that has to be won, just people with different opinions on shopping :)

I was querying someone who made a claim that
    Steer55 wrote: »
    The quality and nutrition of those yellow tags items would not be comparable to the quality of the food in Aldi or Lidl.

Please do tell me more.
    The nutrition of the organic porridge is most definitely comparable, so too the yellow tagged honey.

Please provide a case where the quality and nutrition of a yellow tags item would not be comparable to the quality of the food in Aldi or Lidl?

Or are you talking nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Lidl and Aldi can be expensive too in fairness, especially when you go in for a loaf of bread and bring home a chainsaw and strimmers.

• Advertisement

DBB wrote: »
    I've been a very regular shopper in both Lidl and Aldi for years now, ................
    As a result, I'm not going to shop in either at least until restrictions are completely lifted.............. If they don't care about my health, or indeed the health of their staff out on the shop floor, they're not getting my 2-3 visits per week nor my money any more.

Aldi and Lidl are discount retailers.
    they'll not splash the cash on staff etc unless they absolutely have to.
    And as folk have mentioned, most of their customer base don't seem to give a fook about social distancing etc so it's business as usual for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

ellejay wrote: »
    I've found the money off vouchers to be brutal value.
    Eg spend 60 and get 3 off.
    I'd never spend 60 in Supervalu.
    The other vouchers are only ever for stuff I wouldn't buy.

We often get spend 40 get 10 off or spend 30 and get 6 off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I've tried all the major supermarkets over many years.

Supervalue used to be the only shop that was not a 15 minute drive away from where i used to live. It was fine but quite expensive. I eventually moved house and don't miss it.

I tried Aldi a few times but I could not get into it at all. Found their selection very poor, Checkout queues always seemed to be very long. Even their insistence on asking you if you were over 18 when you had wine in your trolley, as someone in their 40's, started to grate on me. Hard pass.

Lidl was my main point of shop for years but you could never get everything you needed there, you always had to go to Tescos or somewhere else to fill in the blanks. Also, the fruit/veg just wouldn't last more than a few days I found.
    I did like the speedy way the checkouts moved though.

I eventually got bored of having to go to both Lidl and Tesco and just started going to Tesco. My God the checkout staff are almost all useless. They seemed to have a policy of just employing obese whales that worked at a snails pace. As I was packing my bag one day the checkout person tried to scan in an item. Eventually she just turned to me and said, "this item won't scan in, do you want to go back and get another one?". I just stared at her, for a fleeting moment I thought she might have been joking. This woman could have really done with a bit of exercise.
    That was my last weekly shop in Tescos.

Lastly Dunnes, I'd never really shopped there until a couple of years ago - I had the impression it was going to be too old-fashioned for my liking. I was actually presently surprised as I think it hits the sweep-spot between choice and price. The staff just seem way more friendly that Tescos and the vouchers get you hooked. I generally spend just over €100 on a weekly shop for 4. although I do get my meat at a local farm shop, but handing over 2 vouchers and seeing the total come down to €80-something is enormously satisfying.

I'm team-Dunnes and I will argue with anyone who says different.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Not a Dunnes shopper either.

Always Supervalu online, but at the moment I have to go in because all of the slots in 2 local SVs have been booked out since Leo's first speech on March 12th.Disaster.

Online shopping controls the spend way better.I get vouchers, and part of the reason I go to SV is that I can get everything there in one go.I do not have the time to be going from shop to shop to get different things. Our local ones have a great meat selection which is very good value (3 fillet steaks on offer for 9 euro yesterday?can't beat it).We are a family of 5 and our weekly shop is averaging about 250eur at the moment, but the kids are all at home and eating.A lot.And we have nappies to buy every couple of weeks.Normally it would be around 180 with a little top up of fresh fruit, maybe yoghurts and that, mid-week.We buy mainly fresh meat, bread, fruit, dairy and then a small amount of odds and sods like a pack of biscuits, dark chocolate, pasta, canned tomatoes and that, and at the end of the day it all adds up...but most of it is fresh, cannot be frozen easily and all gets eaten, so I just accept it.It's just the cost of feeding 5 people.We buy SV own brand wherever possible, across all items, which keeps the cost down a good bit.At the moment I am.going in and using the Superscanner option which allows you to schan and bag each item as you go around, which also really helps you keep an eye on the cost, and saves unloading and repacking everything at the end.

My local shopping centre has a Dunnes and SV and the queues for the Dunnes are unreal.Now mind you they don't do online delivery but still.And it is a Dunnes that has had a serious upgrade lately, with artisan breads, and cheese and meat sections and that, so it is aiming at a higher end market.I just find SV easier to use all round myself.

Aldi and Lidl are discount retailers.
    they'll not splash the cash on staff etc unless they absolutely have to.
    And as folk have mentioned, most of their customer base don't seem to give a fook about social distancing etc so it's business as usual for them.

Now it might have been the day that was in it but I was in a Dunnes last weekend (an unusual occurrence) and I can assure you, it was no better or worse than Aldi or Lidl at the best of times. There was people reaching over others to get at stuff, no different to any other retailer. And to make it worse, there was staff stocking the shelves (the shop was not long opened) which made social distancing even harder to do.

Anyone who thinks otherwise, is simply deluded.

I don't think its fair to say people are different in their attitude to social distancing because of where they shop - I and my OH are in very well paid jobs and shop in Lidl and Aldi most of the time and do our best to social distance. Or to say only "a certain class of people" shop in Lidl and Aldi, I beg to differ!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

On market share the big three have about 21-22% each. Aldi and Lidl have 25% between them and other stores have 10%. When you consider that Lidl and Aldi are virtually identical and gave way smaller stores that the big three it a good performance. You also have to factor in they tend to have 1-2 hours shorter opening hours

While some of the big three shop give a better shopping experience, however some are too large and you end up walking a mile to get 2-3items to finish your shop. Vouchers are not s credible alternative to value and neither are points.

The big three own brand a lot if it tends to.be blandly packaged. But they have changed a bit since the discounters arrived

Slava Ukrainii

Now it might have been the day that was in it but I was in a Dunnes last weekend (an unusual occurrence) and I can assure you, it was no better or worse than Aldi or Lidl at the best of times. There was people reaching over others to get at stuff, no different to any other retailer. And to make it worse, there was staff stocking the shelves (the shop was not long opened) which made social distancing even harder to do.

Anyone who thinks otherwise, is simply deluded.

Right, so you describe a situation that sounds sh1t enough in dunnes, say (assure in fact) it's no better or worse than Aldi or Lidl at the best of times ????
    And we are deluded to think that the norm in Aldi and Lidl (as described by you) is sh1t. right.

.....I don't think its fair to say people are different in their attitude to social distancing because of where they shop - I and my OH are in very well paid jobs and shop in Lidl and Aldi most of the time and do our best to social distance. Or to say only "a certain class of people" shop in Lidl and Aldi, I beg to differ!..............

I'm not mentioning classes of people. I'm just pointing out that on non branded items Aldi and Lidl aim to be 15% cheaper then the larger 3 retailers. That's without the use of vouchers...... use the vouchers in SV and Dunnes, buy own brand and the price is much of a muchness with Aldi and Lidl.

Folk will sh1t on about quality etc but they are largely talking rubbish.

......... Vouchers are not s credible alternative to value ......

They are 20% off vouchers.
    If you consistently get 20% off what's 15% more expensive than the competition you are most certainly getting value. Unless you are thinking the products are worse which is not the case as they come from the same suppliers more often than not.

They are 20% off vouchers.
    If you consistently get 20% off what's 15% more expensive than the competition you are most certainly getting value. Unless you are thinking the products are worse which is not the case as they come from the same suppliers more often than not.

You keep repeating this but it is flawed. For example - in Dunnes they might only have a branded project. Lets use a jar of Salsa as an example ( I know this isn't an essential but just as an example) - Dunnes only have the Dorito branded ones, they are almost 3 euro. Aldi only have their own brand, they are less than 1 euro. This is not a 15% difference. The big supermarkets only have own brand versions of certain items, lots of things are only branded and are significantly more expensive. Fruit, veg and lots of meats are more expensive. My shop is at least 25% more expensive in Dunnes, even after vouchers.

You keep repeating this but it is flawed. For example - in Dunnes they might only have a branded project.............

Yeah, that's why I go to Aldi once every few weeks.
    I'm blue in the face saying the difference is largely in buying branded products.
    The range of own brand stuff is huge though. The fact your example is a jar of Salsa says a lot. Throw out a few more examples ?
    Most of my shop is fresh or frozen, processed, packaged stuff isn't what I feed myself.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's why I go to Aldi once every few weeks.
    I'm blue in the face saying the difference is largely in buying branded products.
    The range of own brand stuff is huge though. The fact your example is a jar of Salsa says a lot. Throw out a few more examples ?
    Most of my shop is fresh or frozen, processed, packaged stuff isn't what I feed myself.

That's a bit insulting to be honest. I also mentioned fruit, veg and some meats. I only used the jar of salsa as an example because every once in a while we have some chips and dip with a beer, and I couldn't believe it was three times the price.

Here are some more examples of things I have found which are quite a bit more than 15% more expensive:

Carrot batons
    Baby Gem Lettuce
    Mangos
    Cream Cheese
    Toilet Roll
    Sliced meats (ham, chicken, beef)
    Free range chicken
    Bin bags

It all adds up when you're doing a big shop for more than 1 person. You're being a bit obtuse if you won't accept that shopping in Dunnes costs people more money, they are trying to market it as a slightly more premium supermarket and their prices reflect that.

That's a bit insulting to be honest. ...........

It all adds up when you're doing a big shop for more than 1 person. You're being a bit obtuse if you won't accept that shopping in Dunnes costs people more money, they are trying to market it as a slightly more premium supermarket and their prices reflect that.

No insult meant, I don't tend to buy processed, packaged stuff so I'm not aware of what stuff isn't available in own brand.

Also, I've never done a grocery shop in Dunnes, I can tell you though, stick to the own brands and it's 15% more expensive then Aldi or Lidl.

It's marketed as a slightly more premium supermarket as it's full of branded items, well staffed and the actual stores are in better locations more often than not. Dunnes are undoubtedly more premium than Aldi or Lidl.

Again, I don't shop in Dunnes, there's none near me. I'd wander into one a few times a year.

All of the various shops carry loss making items.

Right, so you describe a situation that sounds sh1t enough in dunnes, say (assure in fact) it's no better or worse than Aldi or Lidl at the best of times ????
    And we are deluded to think that the norm in Aldi and Lidl (as described by you) is sh1t. right.

I'm not mentioning classes of people. I'm just pointing out that on non branded items Aldi and Lidl aim to be 15% cheaper then the larger 3 retailers. That's without the use of vouchers...... use the vouchers in SV and Dunnes, buy own brand and the price is much of a muchness with Aldi and Lidl.

Folk will sh1t on about quality etc but they are largely talking rubbish.

I meant it was no worse or better than Lidl or Aldi since the restrictions came in. I don't see how it could be. They are all 2m aisles no matter where you are. But some seem to suggest that Lidl or Aldi are full of animals who don't care about social distancing measures, which is completely inaccurate.

The Lidl own brands tend to be cheaper, I found their own brand weetabix to be the exact same as any own brand in any of the others.

I meant it was no worse or better than Lidl or Aldi since the restrictions came in. I don't see how it could be. They are all 2m aisles no matter where you are. But some seem to suggest that Lidl or Aldi are full of animals who don't care about social distancing measures, which is completely inaccurate. ........

Some stores are controlling the amount of folk entering their stores more stringently than others. Some stores are not closing off aisles when they are being restocked. Some stores are restocking before and after opening, not while open. Some stores seem to give less of a sh1t.

What you described was grim and I've not seen anything like that in my local SuperValu.

Some stores are controlling the amount of folk entering their stores more stringently than others. Some stores are not closing off aisles when they are being restocked. Some stores are restocking before and after opening, not while open. Some stores seem to give less of a sh1t.

What you described was grim and I've not seen anything like that in my local SuperValu.

Might try SuperValu, there is 1 within 2km, just! I do think its impossible in any supermarket to obey 2m social distancing though, unless they had a 1-way system on the aisles or something.

Might try SuperValu, there is 1 within 2km, just! I do think its impossible in any supermarket to obey 2m social distancing though, unless they had a 1-way system on the aisles or something.

My local one closed off most of the aisles at the top when they are busy. They've staff opening and closing them throughout the day.
    they have the floor marked into 2m zones, signage to say you can pass someone in the same zone but don't stop in a zone if someone else is. It works very well.

I've really pleased to spend my 15% more - the 20% off to shop there.

Where you shop doesn't have to be within 2km of your home btw.

My local one closed off most of the aisles at the top when they are busy. They've staff opening and closing them throughout the day.

I like the sound of that. I think that is the only way it can be managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Antares35 wrote: »
    We managed to get a click and collect on SuperValu yesterday. Would rarely shop there otherwise. Couldn't believe the price of the stuff. One example I can think of is raspberry punnets - 2 for €5. Same size punnets are 2 for €3 in Lidl. OH shopped there before we moved in together, and he said the prices have definitely gone up recently, whether it's pandemic gouging, or reduced supply/ increased demand etc.

Lidl is definitely my favourite. I can't get enough of their fresh bakery, nice selection of cheeses and pretty impressive wines :) There is a lovely mild brie in Lidl for €1.09 - you'd pay nearly three times that in Dunnes for an equivalent.

Super value have always been a bit more expensive but the gap widened a bit more in the last few years, well before the pandemic. Huge variation in their stores from horrible kips to very nice.

road_high wrote: »
    Super value have always been a bit more expensive but the gap widened a bit more in the last few years, well before the pandemic. Huge variation in their stores from horrible kips to very nice.

I was in their Cellbridge store last week, very nice.
    I've been to one in Sallins a few times, awful spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,144 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I have noticed a few items since Covid19 lockdown have gone up, so weekly shop is higher

Advertisement