Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dunnes gone very expensive?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Augeo wrote: »
    No insult meant, I don't tend to buy processed, packaged stuff so I'm not aware of what stuff isn't available in own brand.

Also, I've never done a grocery shop in Dunnes, I can tell you though, stick to the own brands and it's 15% more expensive then Aldi or Lidl.

It's marketed as a slightly more premium supermarket as it's full of branded items, well staffed and the actual stores are in better locations more often than not. Dunnes are undoubtedly more premium than Aldi or Lidl.

Again, I don't shop in Dunnes, there's none near me. I'd wander into one a few times a year.

All of the various shops carry loss making items.

Jut because something is marketed as more "premium" doesn't mean it is. I mean, Starbucks can market their b*stardised coffee/ ice/ toffee/ cream concoctions as "premium" and charge a fiver for them - doesn't mean they beat the coffee in my Dad's percolator :p Branded items - you're paying for just that - the brand. Was it Fig Rolls where it came to light a few years ago that basically they were all made in the same place except at the end of the production line, the branded ones went one direction to be scored with two lines on the top and the generics went the other way :confused:

I agree the store might be better staffed in Dunnes, but it doesn't really help you get through any quicker when the (albeit full compliment of ) cashiers sit there nattering to their customers and encouraging them to go running off down the aisles again to grab something else so they can use a voucher :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I added a poll to make life easier..

Antares35 wrote: »
    Jut because something is marketed as more "premium" doesn't mean it is. I mean, Starbucks can market their b*stardised coffee/ ice/ toffee/ cream concoctions as "premium" and charge a fiver for them - doesn't mean they beat the coffee in my Dad's percolator :p Branded items - you're paying for just that - the brand. Was it Fig Rolls where it came to light a few years ago that basically they were all made in the same place except at the end of the production line, the branded ones went one direction to be scored with two lines on the top and the generics went the other way :confused:

I agree the store might be better staffed in Dunnes, but it doesn't really help you get through any quicker when the (albeit full compliment of ) cashiers sit there nattering to their customers and encouraging them to go running off down the aisles again to grab something else so they can use a voucher :pac:

Aldi & Lidl are discount grocery retailers, it's there business model. Dunnes are undoubtedly more premium, it's obvious at a glance in the stores.

The stuff is indeed all the same in loads of cases..... I've mentioned that in here.

All 5 of the frequently mentioned stores buy from the same suppliers in many ranges. I buy very few branded items.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I have noticed a few items since Covid19 lockdown have gone up, so weekly shop is higher

Handwash is the obvious one! Used always be on offer 1/2 price on some brands now they're barely in stock and at full price!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

zell12 wrote: »
    :confused::confused:
    So ye ate more Aldi stuff because it is nicer and better quality?

My guess is the use by dates aren't as long?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I do most of my shopping in Dunnes with some stuff from Iceland and the butcher.

Tried Aldi/Lidl in the past but I couldn't get past the rows upon rows of unknown brands and I wasn't willing to keep spending money working through them. I just like to get in and out as efficiently as possible (another problem with Aldi/Lidl and their checkout staffing and layout) and come back with what I went for.

My local Dunnes is pretty good value most weeks but the one I occasionally go into in Cork when I'm down is significantly poorer value for some reason? Is there local/regional variation depending on what they're competing with?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

I can’t understand how people are shopping in this environment and spending so little. We have two adults, two young kids in the house and it is easily 200+ a week. Everyone is eating all meals at home, previously that would have been some breakfast and dinners. I’m not buying anything outrageous and it excludes alcohol as I get that in O’Briens. Meat is included. Prior to this my husband and I would have eaten lunch at work so around €40 a week each. That is now obviously gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,725 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I can’t understand how people are shopping in this environment and spending so little. We have two adults, two young kids in the house and it is easily 200+ a week. Everyone is eating all meals at home, previously that would have been some breakfast and dinners. I’m not buying anything outrageous and it excludes alcohol as I get that in O’Briens. Meat is included. Prior to this my husband and I would have eaten lunch at work so around €40 a week each. That is now obviously gone.
    That is nuts, you could reduce that to e20pppw = e80 weekly shop
    including household stuff. Just shop own brand items only.

That is nuts, you could reduce that to e20pppw = e80 weekly shop
    including household stuff. Just shop own brand items only.

I’m not sure how I could. I don’t buy prepared food or anything like that. Fruit alone is around 25-30€

You must buy lots of branded stuff?

• Advertisement

You must buy lots of branded stuff?

Me? I don’t but I still don’t understand how a non vegetarian family can eat for so little. I just added meat and fruit up on my receipt and it’s close to €70

• Registered Users Posts: 23,725 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I’m not sure how I could. I don’t buy prepared food or anything like that. Fruit alone is around 25-30€
    Bananas, Apples, Pears, Cucumber 99c each https://www.aldi.ie/c/groceries/super-6
    Tinned pineapples, pears, strawberries...

Bananas, Apples, Pears, Cucumber 99c each https://www.aldi.ie/c/groceries/super-6
    Tinned pineapples, pears, strawberries...

I think meal planning around offers is where I could really improve

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭65535

Aldi then Tesco then Super Valu

Depends on what you need and when you need them.

Some items are better in each store.

Unable to complete the poll as a result of multiple shopping locations !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I'm the same as you.... Before this my shop would be around €100-€110 per week, then the value voucher would bring it down by €20.

The last 3 shops I've done are averaging close to €200 a week.

I don't think there's as many special offers in store and while I may have only bought one offer in the weekly wonders it was often something expensive half price that I'd buy a few of e.g. Cereals

I'm buying alot more bread and cold meats for lunches now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I'm the same as you.... Before this my shop would be around €100-€110 per week, then the value voucher would bring it down by €20.

The last 3 shops I've done are averaging close to €200 a week.

I don't think there's as many special offers in store and while I may have only bought one offer in the weekly wonders it was often something expensive half price that I'd buy a few of e.g. Cereals

I'm buying alot more bread and cold meats for lunches now though.

Don't mind me asking but do you use a list or just fling items into the trolley? I've found that if you prepare a list before you leave the house after checking your presses and fridge etc that you can have more control over your purchases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Gave up shopping in Dunnes a month or so ago, the wife finally conceded we weren’t getting much bang for our buck. Started shopping in Lidl and I’ve never had so much food stocked in the house for so little. Good quality as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭appledrop

Are people taking into account increase in buying toiletries/everyday medicine etc in supermarket might be adding to their cost?

Now maybe doesn't effect everyone but I would shop in boots maybe every second week for toiletries etc. Now I couldn't be bothered queuing again so just throwing them into shopping trolley. So its increasing my weekly shop but not actually spending more money as not going going to boots!

If your spending more on food shopping but less on eating out, lunches etc than you could actually be saving money overall.

appledrop wrote: »
    If your spending more on food shopping but less on eating out, lunches etc than you could actually be saving money overall.

I'm saving probably a couple of hundred a month since restaurants closed. That again and more on diesel as I'm just going to one work spot currently.

I bring my own lunch to work most days so no difference there.... Groceries are much of a muchness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

We are definitely spending more on groceries, but zero on any other discretionary spending. Petrol gone from 30/35 euro a week to 25 every fortnight.
    My husband is at home with the kids since the schools closed, he works for himself on a part time basis as he is the main caregiver at home.
    I am still working so although we are down a small part of our income week are actually doing better financially at the moment.
    That said we are taking advantage and saving ( not getting sucked into online shopping) as my job could close at any time.

We shop in Aldi, have done for a few years now and even with everybody at home all the time and no takeaways or lunches out the shopping bill is only gone up by about 25 euro a week, and at that we won't need store cupboard supplies for a while yet.

There are two large dunnes stores quite near where we live and one has been revamped and carries a nice range of goods. Wouldn't dream of doing a full shop there but it's nice to every now and get a few different things as treats.

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Don't mind me asking but do you use a list or just fling items into the trolley? I've found that if you prepare a list before you leave the house after checking your presses and fridge etc that you can have more control over your purchases.

Don't work from a list but buy same stuff each week.... I wouldn't do a top up shop.

We go through 5x2.75 litres of milk per week so that's 12 euro alone... I buy all my meat in dunnes, so if I get a joint of pork that's about 8 euro alone, sometimes I might get duck or salmon... Other than that meat is about 4 euro a night so that's 28 euro... So meat and milk alone we're up to 40 - 44 euro.

After that it depends what we need or is on offer. If breakfast cereals are on offer I will stock up... Weetabix and cheerios are expensive full price.

Usually the rest of the shop would come to another 50.... I would pretty much try to keep it to the 100 a week, some weeks that includes nappies so the "pantry" won't be replenished that week.

Since lockdown has happened I'm spending an extra tenner on bread 20 on cold meats... I'll be honest and say last couple of shops I've bought more meat than usual so there's enough meat there if we have to isolate... Only one drawer full nothing crazy...its only a 3 drawer freezer, other drawer has croquettes and roasties, top drawer dunnes litre tub of ice-cream, a few tangle twisters and ice cubes :D

...... I might get duck or salmon... Other than that meat is about 4 euro a night so that's 28 euro... So meat and milk alone we're up to 40 - 44 euro.
    ......... Weetabix and cheerios are expensive full price.
    Since lockdown has happened I'm spending an extra tenner on bread 20 on cold meats... ......

An extra tenner on bread a week & an extra 20 on cold meat? That's a decent lash of sandwiches. Sliced pan worth of sandwiches a day extra? Cold meats can be very expensive though.

Salmon is quite an expensive source of protein.... Aldi have very decent fresh salmon fillets. Tesco have some woeful stuff that's cheap but it helps as Aldi & Lidl are forced to keep their price down on salmon to remain competitive.

If I was spending lots on weetabix & cheerios I'd definitely chance an ownbrand product. Especially if kids are lashing sugar onto them anyway :)

I'd definitely buy meat offers & get the freezer more in use if you wanted to reduce the spends a bit.

An extra tenner on bread a week & an extra 20 on cold meat? That's a decent lash of sandwiches. Sliced pan worth of sandwiches a day extra? Cold meats can be very expensive though.

Salmon is quite an expensive source of protein.... Aldi have very decent fresh salmon fillets. Tesco have some woeful stuff that's cheap but it helps as Aldi & Lidl are forced to keep their price down on salmon to remain competitive.

If I was spending lots on weetabix & cheerios I'd definitely chance an ownbrand product. Especially if kids are lashing sugar onto them anyway :)

I'd definitely buy meat offers & get the freezer more in use if you wanted to reduce the spends a bit.

I wouldn't be a big sandwich eater, but now he's working from home the kids want what daddy is having, so a pack of cold meat like chicken will go in a day, so before a sliced pan would have lasted a week, now we're going through sliced pan, brown soda bread x2 for the salmon and bagels x2 for a break from sliced pan :)

I used to get my meat from the local butchers until I realised the chicken came from Holland, so now I stick to the more expensive Irish farmed chicken in dunnes.

Weetabix is for me, not a hope am I going for own brand :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Weetabix is for me, not a hope am I going for own brand :D

Tesco sell an 'own-brand' called Marshalls or similar that has a manufacturing address that is owned by Weetabix Ltd on the boxes.

Dunnes vouchers gone back to ten day's I got caught last week so it's Lidl and Supervalu to top up from now on..

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

L1011 wrote: »
    Tesco sell an 'own-brand' called Marshalls or similar that has a manufacturing address that is owned by Weetabix Ltd on the boxes.

I remember watching some English programme on branded foodstuffs years ago, and at that time Weetabix made all the own brand Weetabix for the English market (whereas Kelloggs made no own brand items, they believed that long term it would damage their branded items). They took the line that own brand foodstuffs were there for the long haul, so no point in losing that market. Not sure if it's still the case, but it might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Truckermal wrote: »
    Dunnes vouchers gone back to ten day's I got caught last week so it's Lidl and Supervalu to top up from now on..

Yes I got caught out too. Cost me €30. They could have let customers know.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

I asked nicely for them to accept the 4 of them but when the rude Manager arrived I left the lot there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

It's literally printed on the voucher...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

JohnC. wrote:
    It's literally printed on the voucher...

In large print I'd imagine?

Advertisement