Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dunnes gone very expensive?

Options

Comments

OnYerPike wrote: »
    Even without the voucher, using the above example, Lidl still don't have Protein Milk for less than 50c and, again, if they did I wouldn't drink it.

Also, nothing to stop people buying own brand in Dunnes.

Lidl & aldi aim to be 15% cheaper then the 3 main players on own brand products. Folk who claim they save loads in aldi or lidl must buy branded stuff in Tesco, Dunne's and SuperValue.

You can't be suggesting you got the same shop (€220 in Dunnes) for €70 in Lidl?
    Augeo wrote: »
    Buying brands in Dunne's v lidl own brand that's not implausible. I don't think that's the case here though.
    No chance.

Most definitely. Own brands are often under 33% of branded stuff.
    Then consider super6 specials etc.
    Even supervalue do 12 tomatoes for a Euro sometimes, their vine ones are 1.80 for 5. Not the same product but a tomato is a tomato.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Dunnes have gone a bit upmarket that’s all. Smartened up their stores and own brand ranges majorly. They are still the best for special offers I think and easily cheaper than super valu and on par with Tesco for most things. Tesco own brands are generally cheaper though. I shop in Dunnes again after a long period of not. I find their stock rotation very good and stuff has a good long shelf life. Super valu that is not the case and I always have to check dates

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

You can't be suggesting you got the same shop (€220 in Dunnes) for €70 in Lidl?

No I didn't but I've enough food for another 5 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

I stopped shopping in Dunnes years ago. My very scientific research
    If i go into Lidl with a 20 euro ill come out with 2 big bags of stuff. That same 20 in Dunnes stores half a bag of stuff:P
    I think Lidl is the best value i think Lidl are slightly better value then Aldi also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Stopped shopping in dunnes/Tesco years ago. Was just too dear. I get the shop for 4 of us in Lidl or Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

We managed to get a click and collect on SuperValu yesterday. Would rarely shop there otherwise. Couldn't believe the price of the stuff. One example I can think of is raspberry punnets - 2 for €5. Same size punnets are 2 for €3 in Lidl. OH shopped there before we moved in together, and he said the prices have definitely gone up recently, whether it's pandemic gouging, or reduced supply/ increased demand etc.

Lidl is definitely my favourite. I can't get enough of their fresh bakery, nice selection of cheeses and pretty impressive wines :) There is a lovely mild brie in Lidl for €1.09 - you'd pay nearly three times that in Dunnes for an equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Antares35 wrote: »
    We managed to get a click and collect on SuperValu yesterday. Would rarely shop there otherwise. Couldn't believe the price of the stuff. One example I can think of is raspberry punnets - 2 for €5. Same size punnets are 2 for €3 in Lidl. OH shopped there before we moved in together, and he said the prices have definitely gone up recently, whether it's pandemic gouging, or reduced supply/ increased demand etc.

Lidl is definitely my favourite. I can't get enough of their fresh bakery, nice selection of cheeses and pretty impressive wines :) There is a lovely mild brie in Lidl for €1.09 - you'd pay nearly three times that in Dunnes for an equivalent.

Berries in SuperValu have been 2 for €5 for years, that's why I never get them there. I doubt that prices have gone up there during the pandemic. We still shop there weekly and when you use their money-off vouchers and get the weekly offers it's totally fine.

Space Dog wrote: »
    Berries in SuperValu have been 2 for €5 for years, that's why I never get them there. I doubt that prices have gone up there during the pandemic. We still shop there weekly and when you use their money-off vouchers and get the weekly offers it's totally fine.

I do 90% of my food shop in SuperValu. As you say, using the vouchers and buying when items are on special and it's not overly expensive.

All those best value yellow tags around the store (they are everywhere), there's nothing in aldi or lidl as cheap as those items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

All those best value yellow tags around the store (they are everywhere), there's nothing in aldi or lidl as cheap as those items.

The quality and nutrition of those yellow tags items would not be comparable to the quality of the food in Aldi or Lidl.

• Advertisement

Space Dog wrote: »

Perhaps they went up before then. OH moved in at the end of the year, and said there is a definite increase on items he used to buy. Either that or there are significant differences between stores depending on their location. He's a real granny about using his vouchers so I know he always cashes in on these too :D

I do 90% of my food shop in SuperValu. As you say, using the vouchers and buying when items are on special and it's not overly expensive.

How's the quality of them?

Steer55 wrote: »
    The quality and nutrition of those yellow tags items would not be comparable to the quality of the food in Aldi or Lidl.

Please do tell me more.
    The nutrition of the organic porridge is most definitely comparable, so too the yellow tagged honey.

Please provide a case where the quality and nutrition of a yellow tags item would not be comparable to the quality of the food in Aldi or Lidl?

Or are you talking nonsense?

Antares35 wrote: »
    How's the quality of them?

The ones I buy are top class.

Aldi and Lidl cannot afford to pricematch them as SV sell fookloads of branded stuff at high profit margin so they can afford to make tiny or no margin on loads of stuff.

Aldi and Lidl do similar, loads of their actual profit is made on the stuff in the centre of the shops, safety boots, lights and fancy egg holders and that sort of sh1te.

I shop in Aldi for chocolate, some fish products and other items but the prices simply aren't much different (higher in many cases) from supervalu in the own brand categories when money off vouchers are used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

I live 5 minutes walking distance to Supervalu so I'm there regularly enough.

The Supervalu bargains are few and far between.
    Cupboard staples when not on special are expensive enough.
    In general I find price more expensive and size smaller.

Eg, mushrooms are generally .99 to 1.20 and the size is 250g.
    They're .79 and 300g in Tesco and in Aldi they're .79 but size is 400g.

Rooster potatoes - in Tesco it's between 4.99 and 6.99 for a 7.5kg bag.
    They're 4.99 in Aldi and SV they're €5 for 4kg.

If SV have apple's on special I've noticed it's a pack of 4, not 6.
    The low fat mince when it's on special is a smaller weight.
    They have to be the most expensive of all the supermarkets for a leg of lamb, even when it's on special offer.

However prices aside, I've noticed the fruit and veg from SV stays fresher for longer than the fruit and veg from Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Lidl & aldi aim to be 15% cheaper then the 3 main players on own brand products. Folk who claim they save loads in aldi or lidl must buy branded stuff in Tesco, Dunne's and SuperValue.

Lidl and Aldi only deal with 1-2auppliers per product. Everything they sell is own brand. However as they only source own brand there own brand products tend to be superior to other Supermarkets.

There dairy section is way superior to other retailers. Aldi probably wins it on dairy and yogurts especially. Veg in both is similar with there soft fruits being exceptional value. Lidl's bakery beats any retailer for value. Where will you get a single scone for 39c, they used to do a raspberry one but it seems to be stopped it was superb value. In general there selection of rolls and fresh breads beats other retailers hands down

There ordinary bread is the same as other retailer with slight differt but cheaper. Aldi wins on single salads selections, coleslaw, potato salad etc but there selection is better than Lidl.

Dog and cat food they wipe the floor with other retailers and the quality is as good as some branded products. Lidl wins on beers and ciders but we buy most wine in SV when they do special offers and add in a free bottle when you buy six.

Lidl wins on household washing products herself says, and I think there's Parkside brand of tools is better than ALDI and comparable with some of the cheaper brands around.

Both have good sauces and dressings and are kinda equal. Aldi brings in specials however we got unfiltered extra virgin olive oil a litre for five euro a few weeks ago. There own brand cereals and museli'd are way better than other retailers. However as everyone knows Kellogg's are the only one for Cornflakes. You can get 1.5 kgs organic porridge for 99c Kavanaghs not sure in which. Aldi do a superb selection of seeds. Aldi wins on build units as well.

All in all they have most retailers beat hands down

Youngest lad in college and always dose his shopping in them . He went to Dunnes with a voucher. He found that his main shopping Lidl/Aldi was 30ish. With the Dunnes voucher he was still spending 42/43 ruro

Slava Ukrainii

The ones I buy are top class.

Aldi and Lidl cannot afford to pricematch them as SV sell fookloads of branded stuff at high profit margin so they can afford to make tiny or no margin on loads of stuff.

Aldi and Lidl do similar, loads of their actual profit is made on the stuff in the centre of the shops, safety boots, lights and fancy egg holders and that sort of sh1te.

I shop in Aldi for chocolate, some fish products and other items but the prices simply aren't much different (higher in many cases) from supervalu in the own brand categories when money off vouchers are used.

I've found the money off vouchers to be brutal value.
    Eg spend 60 and get 3 off.
    I'd never spend 60 in Supervalu.
    The other vouchers are only ever for stuff I wouldn't buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Augeo seems like a rep for the Irish super market owners. Ha

It’s hilarious how he/she seems to take offence at people saying they find better value in Aldi or Lidl

You keep shopping wherever you want Augeo

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Hiitsme

I rarely shop in Dunnes or SV ... I find both chains way too expensive. I think Tesco is the best value for own brand products and alcohol (they always have good offers on). I also like to shop in Aldi and Lidl but I agree their fruit/veg and fresh meat/poultry don't stay fresh for long. I usually freeze the meat products as soon as I get home.

........ Everything they sell is own brand. .......

Totally incorrect.
    ........However as they only source own brand there own brand products tend to be superior to other Supermarkets. ....

The folk they source their stuff from also supply the other supermarkets, exclusivity from suppliers is not overly common.
    ........There dairy section is way superior to other retailers. Aldi probably wins it on dairy and yogurts especially. Veg in both is similar with there soft fruits being exceptional value. Lidl's bakery beats any retailer for value. Where will you get a single scone for 39c, they used to do a raspberry one but it seems to be stopped it was superb value. In general there selection of rolls and fresh breads beats other retailers hands down.......

I don't buy much dairy to be honest. I buy Irish natural yoghurt from Supervalu for €0.65/500g. It's a fantastic product.
    5390053003055_3.JPG

I buy supervalue vitamin D enhanced milk, that's me for dairy except for eggs which I buy in Supervalu.

Dog and cat food they wipe the floor with other retailers and the quality is as good as some branded products. Lidl wins on beers and ciders but we buy most wine in SV when they do special offers and add in a free bottle when you buy six...........

I don't buy petfood or drink.

ellejay wrote: »
    I've found the money off vouchers to be brutal value.
    Eg spend 60 and get 3 off.
    I'd never spend 60 in Supervalu.

The other vouchers are only ever for stuff I wouldn't buy.

I get €10 off €50 and €8 off €40.
    I've never received a spend 60 and get 3 off voucher.

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    Augeo seems like a rep for the Irish super market owners. Ha

It’s hilarious how he/she seems to take offence at people saying they find better value in Aldi or Lidl

You keep shopping wherever you want Augeo

Not at all, I buy stuff in aldi.

I just find the attitude that Aldi and Lidl are way cheaper than the other chains to be untrue. Given they aim to be 15% cheaper on ownbrand stuff and the other chains have reacted to make that now impossible.

And if you use a 20% off voucher on a basket that is no more than 15% more expensive than you end up with much of a muchness.

It's basic stuff here.

Folk load up on brands in supervalu and Dunnes and then go and buy also own brand and reckon they've saved €200/month, total loolaa stuff.

You keep shopping wherever you want to also but don't be bleating on about great value there when it's a few percent at most when comparing own brand products, and they've come from the same production line in many cases also.

Personally I don't like picking my shopping off a pallet and then queuing for 10 minutes to pay for it :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

My 2c and based on a weekly shop, I'd say yes. The average cost of messages is about 10-15% dearer week on week since about March, with about the same items bought.

I get €10 off €50 and €8 off €40.
    I've never received a spend 60 and get 3 off voucher.

I've never gotten those vouchers, they would definitely sweeten the deal for me.

And another one to add to my list while I'm at it.
    A 2kg whole chicken is 6.68 in SV and 4.00 in Tesco.
    And you're not guaranteed that SV will even have them in stock they're ordering system is so bad.(I'm talking pre virus)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

You keep shopping wherever you want to also but don't be bleating on about great value there when it's a few percent at most when comparing own brand products, and they've come from the same production line in many cases also.

You’re the one using vouchers and ‘special offers’ (which by definition won’t be available on everything you need) to argue that overall super valu etc are only a few percent higher than Aldi and Lidl

So even in your convolutions, Aldi and Lidl are cheaper

And in my opinion, the fruit and veg in my local Aldi is better quality than any other supermarket

If your weekly shop works out great for you in supervalue, then good luck to you. But for what my family buy, the value in Aldi is huge

And considering you’ve no idea what we buy, you shouldn’t really be arguing that it’s not great value

Not at all, I buy stuff in aldi.

I just find the attitude that Aldi and Lidl are way cheaper than the other chains to be untrue. Given they aim to be 15% cheaper on ownbrand stuff and the other chains have reacted to make that now impossible.

And if you use a 20% off voucher on a basket that is no more than 15% more expensive than you end up with much of a muchness.

It's basic stuff here.

Folk load up on brands in supervalu and Dunnes and then go and buy also own brand and reckon they've saved €200/month, total loolaa stuff.

Personally I don't like picking my shopping off a pallet and then queuing for 10 minutes to pay for it :)

If you can afford to over pay on supermarket stuff you're obviously flush and well done you! Genuinely I mean that.
    I hate food shopping, I hate everything about it. Every. Single.Thing.
    The Tesco delivery option took the sting out of it but I feel I can't deprive others from a slot.

But genuinely there's definitely better value if you shop around, because I do shop around, so I've learned where the value is.
    And key word is value by the way, not price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I switched to Aldi years ago but have been back in Dunnes twice recently because of the queues outside Aldi. Couldn't get over how much it costs, ridiculous prices. I can't be spending €100 on what I'd get in Aldi for €50 again, just gonna stand in the queue next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Micko99

without sounding like a snob when I popped into lidl last week it seemed like the dregs of society were in there and social distancing was non existant. I went to super valu after and it was much more pleasant, everyone was keeping a distance and there were no crowds of people at the tills. You pay for what you get.

ellejay wrote: »
    I've never gotten those vouchers, they would definitely sweeten the deal for me.

And another one to add to my list while I'm at it.
    A 2kg whole chicken is 6.68 in SV and 4.00 in Tesco.
    And you're not guaranteed that SV will even have them in stock they're ordering system is so bad.(I'm talking pre virus)

To get the decent vouchers you need to use your real rewards card etc etc.

Tesco would be making a loss on that chicken, all of them have items that they make a loss on. If they get you in to the shop for that chicken they are happy :) they are reasonably confident folk won't call in just to buy the chicken only.

You’re the one using vouchers and ‘special offers’ (which by definition won’t be available on everything you need) to argue that overall super valu etc are only a few percent higher than Aldi and Lidl..............

Vouchers, special offers and super value own brand items mainly.

So even in your convolutions, Aldi and Lidl are cheaper..........

Yeah, by a few % ............ 5% of €200 is €10.

And considering you’ve no idea what we buy, you shouldn’t really be arguing that it’s not great value

Own brand, 15% cheaper. It doesn't matter what you buy, Aldi and Lidl aim to be 15% cheaper then the big 3 on ownbrand products. And it's an aim, that they can't actually manage since the big 3 responded to Aldi and Lidl's tactics.

I think you are the one with no idea of Irish food and grocery retail to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Dunnes are appealing to the "notions" brigade, with their coffee holders on their trolleys, etc.
    Do most of my shopping in Lidl and Aldi, go to the local butcher for all the meat, a couple of things in SuperValu, never go near Dunnes.

• Advertisement

Micko99 wrote: »
    without sounding like a snob when I popped into lidl last week it seemed like the dregs of society were in there and social distancing was non existant. I went to super valu after and it was much more pleasant, everyone was keeping a distance and there were no crowds of people at the tills. You pay for what you get.

3 or 4 tills open in my local supervalu these days and the 4 self service points to scan your own stuff.

The queue in Aldi and Lidl is bad at the best of times, in covid19 days it's just unacceptable IMO.

Supervalu, Tesco and Dunnes have roughly 25% of the market each, Aldi and Lidl share the remainder. The numbers speak for themselves.

Advertisement