Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Jets Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

At some stage the honeymoon period for Joe Douglas as GM will have to end. The majority of the criticism so far this season has been reserved for Gase but Douglas has to take some criticism for the state of the roster. The Jets have 4 WRs for tomorrow one of whom is injured and also they have 4 QBs on the roster tomorrow. Ignoring what many called a historically deep WR draft in order to take luxury picks like a 3rd string QB and a punter is starting to look like bad judgement. Then he compounded the mistake by not resigning Robbie Anderson. He may have improved Darnolds protection but he has also stunted his growth by not giving him adequate weapons.

100% agree on Joe D. He is getting away without much criticism at the moment because of Gase.

A lot will depend on how Mims does when he comes back from injury but at the moment our WR situation is the worst in the league and that is Joe's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭franglan

What are people expecting today. Its grim isint it, Frank Gore is your lead back against currently a top 5 run defense. Horrible teams in the early games keeping it close, handicap for Jets game is double digits. I'm hoping for some miracle reaction to the nothingness of the first two games but with the limited 53 man squad currently (4 QBs - wow) a miracle might be expecting too much! Bad squad abysmal play calling gives you little chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Im not really worried about what the result is, just want to see the young guys play well. Its a sad state of affairs when thats all your hoping for after week 2:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

phatkev wrote: »
    Im not really worried about what the result is, just want to see the young guys play well. Its a sad state of affairs when thats all your hoping for after week 2:mad:

No positives about today. Very hard to pick 1 Jet player who stood out. And Becton injured to cap it off!

No positives about today. Very hard to pick 1 Jet player who stood out. And Becton injured to cap it off!

Yep sh1tshow all round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭SupraSonic26

Dolphins fan here, how long do ye think gase has left? he was terrible in miami so glad we got rid of him!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭letowski

D9Male wrote: »
    It's going to be very difficult for the Jets to resist a QB in the draft, especially as they will be picking high in all likelihood. The circumstances aren't there for Darnold to thrive, so it's difficult to see him making a strong enough case to hold onto his job in the Jets in the medium term.

Do ye think the Jets will look to trade him and draft Trevor Lawerence or Justin Fields? There would be alot of suitors out there, plenty of franchises with old QBs that would have to find a solution late first round picks.

If ye do get the 1st overall pick in the 2021 draft, I can't see the Jets holding onto Darnold unfortunately. An opportunity to draft a prospect like Lawerence just doesn't come around often, maybe once a decade.

I feel sorry for Darnold. I really liked him as a prospect when he came out of college, albeit prematurely. His situation reminds me of my own team, the Colts, when we put Luck in a bad situation.

I think the Jets might keep Gase to ensure the 1st overall pick.

Dolphins fan here, how long do ye think gase has left? he was terrible in miami so glad we got rid of him!

Hopefully gone next Friday!

letowski wrote: »
    Do ye think the Jets will look to trade him and draft Trevor Lawerence or Justin Fields? There would be alot of suitors out there, plenty of franchises with old QBs that would have to find a solution late first round picks.

If ye do get the 1st overall pick in the 2021 draft, I can't see the Jets holding onto Darnold unfortunately. An opportunity to draft a prospect like Lawerence just doesn't come around often, maybe once a decade.

I feel sorry for Darnold. I really liked him as a prospect when he came out of college, albeit prematurely. His situation reminds me of my own team, the Colts, when we put Luck in a bad situation.

I think the Jets might keep Gase to ensure the 1st overall pick.

Yeah I think if they have the top pick they'll go QB and look to offload Darnold, as neither the GM or the current/new coach were on the roster when he was drafted.
    Like yourself I feel really bad for Darnold, he's been set up to fail since he arrived at the Jets. I still think with the right coaching he could be a top quality player, remember he's still one of the youngest QBs in the league. Hopefully he's another one of them players that has a post Gase second act

• Registered Users Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Yeah I think if they have the top pick they'll go QB and look to offload Darnold, as neither the GM or the current/new coach were on the roster when he was drafted.
    Like yourself I feel really bad for Darnold, he's been set up to fail since he arrived at the Jets. I still think with the right coaching he could be a top quality player, remember he's still one of the youngest QBs in the league. Hopefully he's another one of them players that has a post Gase second act

Why not hold on to him, and trade the pick, perhaps to later in the 1st round for some depth well...everywhere else. WR, LB, Safety. With a new quarterback whisperer coach who isn't the failure Gase has been, his 2d act might be as a Jet.

I can see it, of course, it's more perpetual rebuild with this team. Not sure the consensus #1 is #1 in my book, but let's see how the season plays out, if much at all, in College.

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    Why not hold on to him, and trade the pick, perhaps to later in the 1st round for some depth well...everywhere else. WR, LB, Safety. With a new quarterback whisperer coach who isn't the failure Gase has been, his 2d act might be as a Jet.

I can see it, of course, it's more perpetual rebuild with this team. Not sure the consensus #1 is #1 in my book, but let's see how the season plays out, if much at all, in College.

Because I think the lure of have a QB on a 5 year rookie contract will outweigh keeping and paying Darnold, especially for a FO that didnt draft him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

And also because he might not be any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭letowski

I'd expect Darnold should at least attract a 1st rounder if not more. So long as he doesn't fall off a cliff, which he shouldn't, he comes across as a diligent kid.

The Jets have some other good pieces, they have a RB, LT, I liked Mims in the draft, Crowder and Hogan are solid WRs too. Williams, Mosely, Maye etc. in defense. The HC role next year is still an attractive job for a coach If Darnold is traded, the GM has 3 first round picks and 2 the following year. There is plenty of capital to build a good team if done correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭Guffy

Because I think the lure of have a QB on a 5 year rookie contract will outweigh keeping and paying Darnold, especially for a FO that didnt draft him

If that FO is there to make that decision then that's the first problem

Guffy wrote: »
    If that FO is there to make that decision then that's the first problem

I dont see the GM thats only been there a year going anywhere tbh

letowski wrote: »
    I'd expect Darnold should at least attract a 1st rounder if not more. So long as he doesn't fall off a cliff, which he shouldn't, he comes across as a diligent kid.

I dont a team would give up a 1st for him as it stands at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭SupraSonic26

Hopefully gone next Friday!

he isnt a leader terrible ply calling and players have no faith in him, watching him for miami i was like please get rid of this guy, son as tannehill left he gets the titans into playoffs shows how bad of a coach gase is!

Brett Rypien will be QB for the Broncos on Thursday night. This might dent the hopes of Jets fans for a loss and then firing of Gase. Not sure how much beating the Broncos with a 3rd string QB would prove but it would probably be enough to save Gase's job for the moment.

Ian Rappaport now reporting the Jets brass wont fire Gase because they feel it would be harmful to Darnold. It makes you wonder if they have even watched a game this season. Gase needs to go so Joe Douglas can properly evaluate Darnold. #gasefreedomwatch exists on Twitter every Sunday for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Ian Rappaport now reporting the Jets brass wont fire Gase because they feel it would be harmful to Darnold. It makes you wonder if they have even watched a game this season. Gase needs to go so Joe Douglas can properly evaluate Darnold. #gasefreedomwatch exists on Twitter every Sunday for a reason.

We've been fairly tight on leaks in recent years, I'd take any stories either way as speculation only. I don't think anyone in their sane mind would use that as a reason to keep gase anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,448 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

They'll win handy tonight I think.

eagle eye wrote: »
    They'll win handy tonight I think.

I dont know, this team literally doesnt know their ar$e from there elbow

It's a tight call, they have some WR threats and a decent run game, we've got no pressure on defense lately and our corners are playing soft, it's a nice situation for rypien to come into. Going the other way we have hogan and herndon as our only receivers semi-capable of catching a ball, and gore to gain 2 yards every play... I've backed under 42points and Broncos -2.5.

Crowder now expected to play does help a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,448 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

phatkev wrote:
    They haven't been good in the backfield on defense to this point
    hots wrote:
    It's a tight call, they have some WR threats and a decent run game, we've got no pressure on defense lately and our corners are playing soft, it's a nice situation for rypien to come into. Going the other way we have hogan and herndon as our only receivers semi-capable of catching a ball, and gore to gain 2 yards every play... I've backed under 42points and Broncos -2.5.
    Broncos are more missing their starting, they haven't even decided if it's going to be Rypien or Driskel this week. Neither of them are up to much, so much so that they've added Blake Bottles to the roster, currently carrying four QB's.
    hots wrote:
    Crowder now expected to play does help a fair bit.

That's a huge help and Berrios got time to gel with Darnold and has looked good for you.

Theres a real possibility of this team going 0-16, no excuse for not winning that game last night.

The Becton situation is a joke as well, if the man is not fit enough to start he shouldnt be dressed, one of the reasons Gase's teams are historically injury prone

Theres a real possibility of this team going 0-16, no excuse for not winning that game last night.

The Becton situation is a joke as well, if the man is not fit enough to start he shouldnt be dressed, one of the reasons Gase's teams are historically injury prone

We won't get a better chance to win than that.

And 100% Becton should have sat the game, poor guy was playing through serious pain at points. That O Line was down to our last players on the roster at one point I think with both Fant and Becton injured? Maybe one left spare, ridiculous.

The game showed the difference in the two teams last night, their offensive weapons were night and day compared to ours, they were able to get separation and gave a debut QB windows to throw into (helped by our ****e outside coverage). On the other hand Sam is hitting guys in the hands or throwing into spaces where there's zero room for error because his receivers aren't getting separation and the play calling doesn't help either.

We run so few routes coming across the middle, I'd love to see stats on it. The only one I remember from last night was a night completion to jeff smith early on.

And the wheel route to Gore was a lovely highlight of Gase's mind.

Seriously pissed off with the Jets not only for losing last night but also the failure to hold Gase accountable. I get that others deserve blame and lots of it but I despair for the future of the team if the Jets brass can't/won't figure out that this guy is not even a pale imitation of an NFL coach. Also my faith in the future is being severely tested by the performance of Joe Douglas. Next year it looks like the jets with need 1 QB 2/3 RB 2/3 WR 1/2 TE 2 OG 4/5 CB 2 OLB/EDGE 1 S. Don't care how much cap space you have this cant be done in 1 year. Some of these issues should have been addressed this year. And then they jeopardise the future of the one bright spot of this year by playing him injured!

Seriously pissed off with the Jets not only for losing last night but also the failure to hold Gase accountable. I get that others deserve blame and lots of it but I despair for the future of the team if the Jets brass can't/won't figure out that this guy is not even a pale imitation of an NFL coach. Also my faith in the future is being severely tested by the performance of Joe Douglas. Next year it looks like the jets with need 1 QB 2/3 RB 2/3 WR 1/2 TE 2 OG 4/5 CB 2 OLB/EDGE 1 S. Don't care how much cap space you have this cant be done in 1 year. Some of these issues should have been addressed this year. And then they jeopardise the future of the one bright spot of this year by playing him injured!

I don't think this falls on Joe Douglas, he inherited a roster which had holes all over the place... he's taken on the OLine this year (when fit they've looked about middle of the road, from one of the worst last year) and had to deal with a defense losing adams and CJ, that already didn't have any CBs of note. At CB, he takes a couple of FA shots (whiff) and a draft shot (TBC). Safety he gets in a starter (McDougald seems fine) and drafts for the future (TBC). ILB he's been diddled by injuries and we're down to some absolute dross now. D line took care of itself.

On offense, I don't think he could have done much more on O Line, GVR could be a whiff but I think he's on a cuttable contract, the rest are looking good, really surprised by Fant tbh. TE I don't think anyone saw Herndon turning to stone and then Griffin's contract is looking poor now after his injury regression. RB he couldn't do much more than drafting Perine, and people even questioned the point of that when we already had Bell in there. WR is a big issue, drafts Mims who immediately gets injured, I think if he's fit JD looks a lot better. We were ****e there before Robby left and he's failed to replace him in FA (all ****e) and the draft (Mims injury and then not drafting more). I think the draft was a big mistake to not pick up min 2 probably 3 receivers... the free agency I'd be more forgiving, there was very little available and the idea is that we're getting away from ****e large contracts which we're still hungover from.

Overall, jury still out but he's doing ok imo. Some decisions definitely wrong (drafting QB Morgan was bizarre with WRs on the board and I like Mann but another spot to get a potential WR body). I think the draft is the biggest place to score him, and so far that's a net positive with some question marks.

• Advertisement

hots wrote: »
    I don't think this falls on Joe Douglas, he inherited a roster which had holes all over the place... he's taken on the OLine this year (when fit they've looked about middle of the road, from one of the worst last year) and had to deal with a defense losing adams and CJ, that already didn't have any CBs of note. At CB, he takes a couple of FA shots (whiff) and a draft shot (TBC). Safety he gets in a starter (McDougald seems fine) and drafts for the future (TBC). ILB he's been diddled by injuries and we're down to some absolute dross now. D line took care of itself.

On offense, I don't think he could have done much more on O Line, GVR could be a whiff but I think he's on a cuttable contract, the rest are looking good, really surprised by Fant tbh. TE I don't think anyone saw Herndon turning to stone and then Griffin's contract is looking poor now after his injury regression. RB he couldn't do much more than drafting Perine, and people even questioned the point of that when we already had Bell in there. WR is a big issue, drafts Mims who immediately gets injured, I think if he's fit JD looks a lot better. We were ****e there before Robby left and he's failed to replace him in FA (all ****e) and the draft (Mims injury and then not drafting more). I think the draft was a big mistake to not pick up min 2 probably 3 receivers... the free agency I'd be more forgiving, there was very little available and the idea is that we're getting away from ****e large contracts which we're still hungover from.

Overall, jury still out but he's doing ok imo. Some decisions definitely wrong (drafting QB Morgan was bizarre with WRs on the board and I like Mann but another spot to get a potential WR body). I think the draft is the biggest place to score him, and so far that's a net positive with some question marks.

Can't see how he can be classed as doing ok. As GM he is drafted a developmental QB to a team with no QB coach. He drafted a punter who kicks it the same distance as last year. He let Robbie Anderson go over $1 million. He signed 37 yr old Frank Gore who is blocking the progress of a running back he drafted himself. He wanted to trade for Kellen Ballage and eventually signed him. He might be good at the OL and even that remains to be seen as the Guard play hasn't been great so far. He could and should get better but this far I think is is getting far too little blame for what overall has been a poor performance.

Advertisement