Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIV-37,063 ROI (1,801 deaths) 12,886 NI (582 deaths) (02/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

I recorded PT last night , I was unable to watch it yesterday.
    The Oxford professor tore Ryan a new one a few times, particularly his claim of infection rates in society. A very public slapdown. I was embarrassed for him.

You must have not watched it properly. The lady looked drunk or stoned and made a fool of herself. I felt sorry for her tbh. So much anger.

Necro wrote: »
    Burn down the Luas just in case!

(I jest, I jest)

Red line only.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,634 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You must be also very concerned about the shutdown of cancer screening services, deaths from undetected strokes/heart disease and lockdown related suicides this year I take it.

Best way to keep those services up and running is to keep the spread of the virus as low as you can in the community.

Also people who are so concerned about screening don't seem that concerned about people with actual diseases, these will be disproportional affected if the virus is allowed get of control.

These are among the "vulnerable" people we are trying protect.

The 1000s of people requiring cancer services cannot afford to cocoon, they need to get to hospitals and medical services to survive.

Another favorite thrown in is suicide rates increasing, all though there is no evidence for this.

What would you think the mental health tally on 1000s of families who have to try and look in a window as a loved one dies and then get to pick which handful of people get to go to their closed coffin funeral be?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

paw patrol wrote: »
    if senior civil servants and NPHET were on the covid payment.
    this would be over

And the Indo reporting today that TDs pay is back to 2008 levels.

Everything is grand, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Originally Posted by Harry Palmr View Post
    Just watching this so called professor, clearly a loon. That she has a PhD or masters degree doesn't mean she is immune from bad ideology - a way of viewing the world which is inimical to public health during a pandemic of a virus without any cure.

Who is this one that was on RTE?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

paw patrol wrote: »
    if senior civil servants and NPHET were on the covid payment.
    this would be over

No it wouldn't.

That is just absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,608 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

They are not mutually exclusive, only someone who is willfully naive fails to see this.
    Can you explain what willfully naive means?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You must have not watched it properly. The lady looked drunk or stoned and made a fool of herself. I felt sorry for her tbh. So much anger.

I don't agree with what Ryan says but to dismiss his comments I don't make reference to his appearance or what I precieve his emotional state to be.
    I found her to be quite reasoned the link didn't help her. You however are behaving in the same manner as another poster who engaged in racist comments to dismiss her.
    You have made no comment on what she said just a personal attack on someone you don't know. Rather pathetic and telling tbh.

Is this online anywhere? because the views here on the encounter are so diametrically opposed that it is impossible to draw any interference on what was actually said

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Boggles wrote: »
    :confused:

If you are implementing a herd immunity strategy those numbers in real terms will increase not decrease.

At a 2.5% hospitalization rate which obviously will increase too, at a very Conservative 5,000 infections a day that translates to 125 daily hospitalizations every 24 hours.

Our health system would probably last a month at best, that is even before we even consider the amount of sickness that run through our medical professionals.

So no we shouldn't implement a strategy based on guess work and listening to glaring fúcking incoherent lunatics via zoom.

You're confusing controlled spread with letting it go.

And yes absolute numbers will increase but the rate of hospitalisations against infections will decrease. Maybe I didnt make myself clear. Maybe yo got confused. Maybe a bit of both.

And I agree even those decreasing ratios will probably lead to absolute numbers that are likely to overwhelm the health system. Thats why he is talking about controlled spread.

• Advertisement

I don't agree with what Ryan says but to dismiss his comments I don't make reference to his appearance or what I precieve his emotional state to be.
    I found her to be quite reasoned the link didn't help her. You however are behaving in the same manner as another poster who engaged in racist comments to dismiss her.
    You have made no comment on what she said just a personal attack on someone you don't know. Rather pathetic and telling tbh.

The race card lol :D

Tells me all i need to know.

Is this online anywhere? because the views here on the encounter are so diametrically opposed that it is impossible to draw any interference on what was actually said

RTE player if you can get it to work.

I thinking the RTE player may have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

Tomas Ryan is a neuroscientist. The only reason he has such a public voice is because he is peddling the doom that the media thrive on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Here's the latest epidemiological date chart of our cases

527166.jpg

I'm going to stop posting or even paying any attention to these charts as they're very misleading. In the long term it will give us a nice picture of how covid moved through the population, but in the near to medium term it's of no use.

It makes it look like we had a day of testing very recently where we found only 70 cases or so and that the our current outbreak is in sharp decline. We didn't. It's not.
    There is a significant amount of known cases yet to be analysed, sorted and added to this graph.

This is the basis for what Carl Heneghan and the rest of those chancers at the CEBM based their recent article on - claiming that Spain had peaked and cases were in rapid decline.

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/epidemic-curves-organised-by-reporting-date-and-specimen-date/

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/is-covid-really-rising-in-spain-a-look-at-the-data

They are utter shams and should be ignored.

The race card lol :D

Tells me all i need to know.

No bother happy to broaden your knowledge.
    Like here , it is far better to attack the comment not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Longing

I see Spain is back to normal just 55 cases short of there all time high. Deaths highest since early May. Less than 24hrs ago we had individuals saying lets take the Spanish direction its working. No its not. We need to learn and adopt with this virus and stop looking at other Nations thinking they have a silver bullet or something. We need to think out of the box for ourselves to move forward has a society. If we make mistakes we learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Longing wrote: »
    I see Spain is back to normal just 55 cases short of there all time high.

How is that anyway normal? :confused:

You're confusing controlled spread with letting it go.

Again, how to you implement a "controlled" spread?
    And yes absolute numbers will increase but the rate of hospitalisations against infections will decrease. Maybe I didnt make myself clear.

Hospitalization rates would increase given the inevitably spread to other profiles.

Either way it is moot, hospitalizations are hospitalizations, if you need to go hospital you need to go, infection rate doesn't come into it essentially, if X require hospitalization and the hospitals can only handle Y, it crashes.

There is no fudging those figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,704 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I wouldn't waste the ten minutes, you had one lunatic ****ing on about 100s of children dieing and a death rate 10x the flu, and another lunatic ****ing on about James Joyce. Your time would be better spent headbutting a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭boardise

Something like this Id say:

Yo, I'll tell you what I want
    What I really, really want
    So tell me what you want
    What you really, really want

I'll tell you what I want
    What I really, really want
    So tell me what you want
    What you really, really want

I wanna, (ha) I wanna, (ha)
    I wanna, (ha) I wanna, (ha)
    I wanna really, really, really

Wanna zigazig ah

A lotta wanters around these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Again, how to you implement a "controlled" spread?

Hospitalization rates would increase given the inevitably spread to other profiles.

Either way it is moot, hospitalizations are hospitalizations, if you need to go hospital you need to go, infection rate doesn't come into it essentially, if X require hospitalization and the hospitals can only handle Y, it crashes.

There is no fudging those figures.

You're confusing ratios with absolute numbers. You're not getting what I'm trying to say. Again probably my fault.

How you implement it I dont know. But its not that outlandish if a senior WHO health guy now proposes it too, right?

What I'm saying is zero covid is futile. Suppressing it to the lowest possible number is counterproductive too. It just keeps dragging out the inevitable prolonging lockdown limbo.

Edit: It simply doesnt make sense. We can't spend the next few years in this state. The severity or non-severity I should say of it simply doesnt warrant that. We need a plan B.

I found her to be quite reasoned the link didn't help her.

She wasn't, she was argumentative and belligerent and offered no evidence to support any of her "theories".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

You're confusing ratios with absolute numbers. You're not getting what I'm trying to say. Again probably my fault.

I'm not. My point is if we tested no one, a substantial amount of the population would still need hospitalization, that would overwhelm the hospitals.

How you implement it I dont know. But its not that outlandish if a senior WHO health guy now proposes it too, right?

I stopped listened to the WHO back in March, for many reasons, the one cited above just another one.

But I can guarantee you he doesn't know how to implement the strategy either.

She wasn't, she was argumentative and belligerent and offered no evidence to support any of her "theories".

In a ten minute slot, being interrupted by Miriam? How long do you think is needed to propose a theory without interruption?
    As pointed out by Raind bias forms opinion.
    Did you feel Ryan offered evidence for his claim of the deaths of hundreds of children?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Drumpot wrote: »
    I think cheap home testing, with results in minutes is the best and quickest way to get back to “normality”. If we do this we can have it everywhere and you could even fly without having to believe the fairytale About filtration on planes that the airline industry is trying to peddle..

Mass testing is the only Compromise I can think of to lockdowns in the absence of a vaccine. Either that or we figure out that the virus has much lower death rate and generally no long term effects.

Here's an opinion piece from an American Dr. with a background in laboratory science Geoffrey Baird, MD, PhD about the use of rapid tests.
    https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/88612?fbclid=IwAR3NkjI4MtNP0Pu_iLx7pqMEoezEtkUomLPHgLzLmnl7di31dl8UiQ46uPQ

To use rapid tests, you have to sacrifice accuracy for speed. Current testing is diagnostic. Rapid testing at airports would be screening.
    With screening you have to accept that it will miss some cases as these tests will not be as accurate.

To produce them at such a vast scale would be very expensive. Maybe the airlines would cover the cost. I doubt the government would.

So it comes down to cost v benefit. Do we want to spend millions on tests that may catch some but will miss cases too.

Plus these rapid tests still have to be performed by trained healthcare professionals, they cannot be done at home. They are point of care tests.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Is there a website that shows new coronavirus cases per county?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement