Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIII-33,444 in ROI(1,792 deaths) 9,541 in NI(577 deaths)(22/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Not that I don't believe those accuracy figures

Didn't China test millions in Wuhan over a few days and only got a few hundred positives

Our testing would have got thousands of positives

Chinese are alot smarter than us though, tests were probably accurate :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Another high number of cases today. The days of low numbers of below 100 a day are long over unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,848 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I really hate to break it to you but Cary Grant is dead....and when he was alive I am not sure he was an expert virologist...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Hospitals Update:

Mater (+4) - 21
    St. James (--) - 10
    Beaumont (-2) - 9
    Connolly (--) - 8
    Tullamore (+1) - 7
    St Vincents (-1) - 6
    Tallaght (--) - 6
    UHL (--) - 5
    GUH (+1) - 4
    Mercy (+1) - 4
    UHW (--) - 3
    Mullingar (--) - 2
    Naas (+1) - 2
    Portlaoise (--) - 2
    Drogheda (-1) - 1
    Letterkenny (--) - 1
    Navan (--) - 1
    South Tipp (--) - 1
    UHK (+1) - 1
    CUH (-1) - 0

ICU:

Tallaght (--) - 3
    UHL (--) - 2
    Portlaoise (--) - 2
    Mater (-1) - 2
    Beaumont (--) - 1
    Connolly (--) - 1
    Mercy (--) - 1
    South Tipp (--) - 1
    St James (--) - 1
    St Vincents (--) - 1
    Tullamore (--) - 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Wow racist much?
    no!
    She said she was from India!
    I'm just questioning the state of her mind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

no!

What’s with the boat reference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

no!

By placing her "state of mind" alongside her nationality and her supposedly illegitimate travels here, your intentions are pretty clear.

Fairly big development in the last hour.
    HSE admits that 70-80 cases per day (for 10000 tests) are false positives.
    Christ.
    https://twitter.com/DavQuinn/status/1308493818027741184?s=20

May explain part of the reason all over Europe there is a lot more cases but less sickness than first wave. May lose some public support if this is managed badly by health departments.

Allinall wrote: »
    What’s with the boat reference?
    my mistake, if she came by plane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

The question is:
    How many people who got a positive result were falsely told they were positve

Answer e.g.: 0.8%
    So 0.8% of the people who got a positive result were false.

Not 0.8% of every one who was tested.
    Leaving the positive element aside (hard to wrap my brain around that). In simpler to understand terms: if you test 10,000 sterile swabs, as theres zero covid RNA on it to replicate, you will get 10,000 negative results?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

were you just thumbing through the Tennessee Star when you stumbled upon this article, Woody?

Funny I have never seen you ask this of another poster who posts equally obsure stuff. Bias prehaps?

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Leaving the positive element aside (hard to wrap my brain around that). In simpler to understand terms: if you test 10,000 sterile swabs, as theres zero covid RNA on it to replicate, you will get 10,000 negative results?
    good question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just watching this so called professor, clearly a loon. That she has a PhD or masters degree doesn't mean she is immune from bad ideology - a way of viewing the world which is inimical to public health during a pandemic of a virus without any cure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

my mistake, if she came by plane

Don’t think it was a mistake.

Your racism was very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Wolf359f wrote: »

sorry, zero covid is impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

funnydoggy wrote:
    Layman here - does this mean they're running through the PCR tests loads of times making it really sensitive? So we're getting a lot of false positives?
    A swab will yield a positve result when viral RNA to SARS CoV 2 is detected.

You cant find whats not there.
    I could take a swab from you and amplify it til the cows come home, its not going to be positve if theres no viral RNA in the sample (unless contaminated).

We're splitting hairs here really.
    If someone gets a pos result they likely either have or had been infected with Covid.

So why take a risk of infecting others. Isolate for 2 weeks and be safe.
    Regardless of all the statistical crap.

A swab will yield a positve result when viral RNA to SARS CoV 2 is detected.

You cant find whats not there.
    I could take a swab from you and amplify it til the cows come home, its not going to be positve if theres no viral RNA in the sample (unless contaminated).

We're splitting hairs here really.
    If someone gets a pos result they likely either have or had been infected with Covid.

So why take a risk of infecting others. Isolate for 2 weeks and be safe.
    Regardless of all the statistical crap.
    Are you familiar with using the assay that the NVRL uses? If not then we're just as clueless as each other, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭normanoffside

she was all rte could afford, probably just off the boat from India with fake papers

She was on BBC Question time last week as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Are you familiar with using the assay that the NVRL uses? If not then we're just as clueless as each other, to be fair.

We're really not all as clueless as each other here ACE.

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    I really hate to break it to you but Cary Grant is dead....and when he was alive I am not sure he was an expert virologist...

:pac::pac:

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    We're really not all as clueless as each other here ACE.

Sorry I forgot you showed us your degree in COVID-19 testing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

:pac::pac:

Your real name is not Woody79?

Wolf359f wrote:
    Yes of course you should.

But people arent sterile. We're hosts to millions of bacteria and viruses that can/may cause interference.

People are also human, and when racks of identical small tubes are side by side theres always possibilities of things like cross contaminants or human error.

There are safety procedures and checks in place to prevent all that but my point is, nothing will be 100% perfect every time.

She was on BBC Question time last week as well.
    The BBC have a nut job or two on everynight

Your real name is not Woody79?

Exactly.

I think they use a Roche platform but im not sure. I think the poster mandrake might know.

I wouldnt say im clueless, I do perform PCR as part of my job, although not for covid testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

newyork.png?w=828&ssl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Yes of course you should.

But people arent sterile. We're hosts to millions of bacteria and viruses that can/may cause interference.

People are also human, and when racks of identical small tubes are side by side theres always possibilities of things like cross contaminants or human error.

There are safety procedures and checks in place to prevent all that but my point is, nothing will be 100% perfect every time.

I didn't want to mention cross continamation.
    But going by that, saying the false positive is based on all tests is incorrect so. It's based on the tests with a positive result.
    And which was already pointed out, a positive result can't distinguish if you're just over the infection or presymptomatic. So as you say, people should still isolate as they could still be infections or become infections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

As far as i know martina actually works in this field. Whats your qualification\experience outside of googling stuff?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement