Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIII-33,444 in ROI(1,792 deaths) 9,541 in NI(577 deaths)(22/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭gipi

I spotted 2 open clusters linked to public houses in the table on that tweet, there had been 5 closed clusters for a long time in the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Hope you mean Quinn, Higgins is a national treasure :D

Yes thank you ;) edited

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Has anybody noticed rte have stopped their daily push notifications of cases?
    Or is it just me

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭lukas8888

The BBC have a nut job or two on everynight

The only chance Ryan would have of appearing on question time would be if he discovered a cure for Covid 19.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Can you maybe actually comment on what you are posting rather than just posting random links constantly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Sorry I forgot you showed us your degree in COVID-19 testing...

Really am baffled by the attitude you’ve grown in the last few weeks on here. Informative posting and really decent analysis of numbers has turned into absolute showmanship and downright rudeness to anyone who may have a different view.

You’re telling posters to ignore people or “not bother” interacting because their views might be different or they hold them strongly. Sarcastically talking about degrees in testing after that poster said we’re not all equal in terms of knowledge, who was standing up for someone who does PCR testing as part of their job, and has been an absolute wealth of knowledge for those of us that don’t know about PCR testing.

Plenty of assumed information, anecdotal information, second hand information - don’t get me wrong here, all valuable in their own right - posted by you here over the last couple of months. And yet, when anyone else does similar, you jump down their throats for doing the exact same.

You can’t even wonder aloud here anymore about something unlikely but plausible without fear of being labelled a doom monger.

Tonight you posted a link that was disputed by many, right or wrong, and you’ve fought and fought it, even when the expert weighs in you just dismiss it as “ah sure neither of us know what we’re talking about”.

It’d be great to just have a discussion here tbh without all the extra attitude and snide comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

bpb101 wrote: »
    Or is it just me

Same here - wonder is it deliberate or has someone forgot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

bpb101 wrote: »
    Or is it just me

I haven’t had them in the last few days, hoping they had stopped, but my wife is still getting them.

petes wrote: »
    Who was off their head? Were you off your head watching it? She asked him to qualify an answer and he hadn't a notion what to say, looked like a deer in headlights. About time someone questioned these claims and it's certainly not going to be done by anyone in rte.

Yes. She asked him about locking down a town ship in South Africa , out of the blue !
    No wonder he looked surprised:)
    I think even Miriam was startled !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Level 1 is fantasy. 2021.

Level 3 I would say over 100 per 100,000 with a decent percentage of community transmission.

Level 1 looks a fantasy alright, Sligo for example should be level 1 right now, had only 11 cases the last 2 weeks and no covid case in Sligo Hospital.

Hahahaha so you only believe RTE and a certain group of experts but not an ICU doctor that is exactly working in the hospital.

Makes perfect sense really since someone people can't be saved from their own ignorance.

You do know that is not real don't you ?
    It is the Spanish version of Waterford Whispers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

The question is:
    How many people who got a positive result were falsely told they were positve

Answer e.g.: 0.8%
    So 0.8% of the people who got a positive result were false.

Not 0.8% of every one who was tested.

I think you are wrong based on this
    “Under one percent means that for all the positive cases the likelihood of one being a false positive is very small.” No, Health Secretary. The FPR is the percentage of all the people you’ve tested who are found, falsely, to be positive.

gmisk wrote: »
    Can you maybe actually comment on what you are posting rather than just posting random links constantly?

It's obviously links you don't like.

It seems all across Europe we maybe exaggerating level of actual covid cases in this second wave. Country after country seem to be admitting they maybe overcounting true cases. Made sense in the first wave but not when we are locking people down again with a possible material exaggeration of disease prevalent in an area.

Not 100, 000 tests per day surely , we should be so lucky :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Goldengirl wrote: »
    You do know that is not real don't you ?
    It is the Spanish version of Waterford Whispers :)

Can you show me where you found this out?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

BOOO !! Has the sky fallen down yet ?

Level 1 looks a fantasy alright, Sligo for example should be level 1 right now, had only 11 cases the last 2 weeks and no covid case in Sligo Hospital.

Still an increase in a few months ago. Did they not go a month without a case. No county is at level 1. One county can easily infect another. All it takes is a case. Wasn't there a barber came back from Iraq and caused well over 20 cases in Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

she was all rte could afford, probably just off the boat from India with fake papers

There is no call for racism like this. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I think it’s wrong too. Based on this explanation using 80% sensitivity and 99.9% specificity as an example and an actual positivity rate of 0.1%
    in this scenario, 10,000 random people go for a Covid-19 test. With the infection level at 0.1 per cent, just ten people will have Sars-CoV-2 and 9,990 will not. Of the ten who turn up with an infection, 80 per cent will test positive, meaning eight people will be correctly identified while two walk away with a false negative.

And of the 9,990 not infected, all but ten will be correctly diagnosed as negative: hence the success rate of 99.9 per cent (the specificity). But ten will be told they have Covid-19, when in fact they don’t. That leaves us with 18 positive tests: eight from people who genuinely had the virus and ten who did not. So only eight out of 18 (44 per cent) of the infections are real.
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/how-many-covid-diagnoses-are-false-positives-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

I haven’t had them in the last few days, hoping they had stopped, but my wife is still getting them.

One of you iphone and the other is android?
    Im iPhone and havent got the covid one, but have for other things

Maybe they were annoying people, but id would have liken to keep them.

https://twitter.com/OnCall4ON/status/1308486563739963392?s=20

Testing seems to a big problem at the moment around the world. Big economic and societal changes are being made currently based on positive covid results.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

my mistake, if she came by plane

That's fine. A little bit of racism. As long as it is not on you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Getting close to the Witching Hour, all set off by David Quinn.

The irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The irony.

I don’t think a genuine discussion on the testing methods the NVRL is using is out of place, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

False negatives higher therefore indicating more people get a negative result when they infect have the virus (false negative)
    vs those who receive a positive result and do not have the virus (false positive)

Net result undercounting of people who have the virus.
    No - there are far fewer real positives than real negatives, so even if the false negative rate is higher, they won't outnumber the false positives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

If you are waiting all day wondering what the numbers will be like its not good for your mental health. Looking at weekly trends are much more helpful. That's why they should move away from daily figures and just release the weekly figures
    I'm not waiting all day, just occasionally I'll think "what time is it? Oh its nearly half five, the cases are soon" but if I found it out earlier I could go "oh its nearly half five, glad I already know there's thirty cases today"

Hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

s1ippy wrote: »
    I'm not waiting all day, just occasionally I'll think "what time is it? Oh its nearly half five, the cases are soon" but if I found it out earlier I could go "oh its nearly half five, glad I already know there's thirty cases today"

Hahaha

30 CASES, God those were the days!!!

The irony.

Not at all. If anyone could be in league with the Prince of Darkness, and tweeting at the same time , it would be him :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I think it’s wrong too. Based on this explanation using 80% sensitivity and 99.9% specificity as an example and an actual positivity rate of 0.1%
    Ok so you guys think a large proportion of our cases are false even though the assays and methods havent changed and are detecting the same virus, the same way it has from the start with over a 99% rate of detecting the virus when it is present.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement